beginner query question

hello to all

I would like to restate a question I posted a few days ago in different
terms.  I received excellent advice from Allen Browne and John Vinson but, as
a beginner, I'm having trouble implementing their suggestions.

I have a form that shows a student's ID and name in the header.  In the body
of the form are 40 textboxes that will each accept an integer from 1 to 5.
These are evaluation scores for 40 different criteria.  The fields may also
be left blank if they do not pertain to that particular student.  I've called
these 40 textboxes s1, s2, s3 .... s40.  The form is bound to a query that
looks like this:

Value can be 1,2,3,4 or 5.  Field runs from 1 to 40.

ID            Value        Field
bro_jon       4              1
bro_jon       3              2
bro_jon       5              3
bro_jon       5              4
bro_jon                       5
....................   etc ...........
bro_jon       4              40
sam_tyl       2              1
sam_tyl       4              2
....................   etc ...........

QUESTION - For any given ID, say bro_jon, how do I get the value keyed into
textbox s1, s2, s3.... on the form  to be recorded as the Value for Field
1,2,3...  ?  Am I doing this wrong?

appreciative of any help

"Victoria" <Victoria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello to all
>
> I would like to restate a question I posted a few days ago in different
> terms.  I received excellent advice from Allen Browne and John Vinson but,
> as
> a beginner, I'm having trouble implementing their suggestions.
>
> I have a form that shows a student's ID and name in the header.  In the
> body
> of the form are 40 textboxes that will each accept an integer from 1 to 5.
> These are evaluation scores for 40 different criteria.  The fields may
> also
> be left blank if they do not pertain to that particular student.  I've
> called
> these 40 textboxes s1, s2, s3 .... s40.  The form is bound to a query that
> looks like this:
>
> Value can be 1,2,3,4 or 5.  Field runs from 1 to 40.
>
> ID            Value        Field
> bro_jon       4              1
> bro_jon       3              2
> bro_jon       5              3
> bro_jon       5              4
> bro_jon                       5
> ...................   etc ...........
> bro_jon       4              40
> sam_tyl       2              1
> sam_tyl       4              2
> ...................   etc ...........
>
> QUESTION - For any given ID, say bro_jon, how do I get the value keyed
> into
> textbox s1, s2, s3.... on the form  to be recorded as the Value for Field
> 1,2,3...  ?  Am I doing this wrong?

Could you be a bit more clear about what the fields mean and what the values
mean?

0
Amy
3/9/2008 2:33:58 AM
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:08:00 -0800, Victoria
<Victoria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hello to all
>
>I would like to restate a question I posted a few days ago in different
>terms.  I received excellent advice from Allen Browne and John Vinson but, as
>a beginner, I'm having trouble implementing their suggestions.
>
>I have a form that shows a student's ID and name in the header.  In the body
>of the form are 40 textboxes that will each accept an integer from 1 to 5.
>These are evaluation scores for 40 different criteria.  The fields may also
>be left blank if they do not pertain to that particular student.  I've called
>these 40 textboxes s1, s2, s3 .... s40.  The form is bound to a query that
>looks like this:

What do *YOU* mean by the term "criteria"? In Access that's a term usually
used to define an item being searched for.

>Value can be 1,2,3,4 or 5.  Field runs from 1 to 40.
>
>ID            Value        Field
>bro_jon       4              1
>bro_jon       3              2
>bro_jon       5              3
>bro_jon       5              4
>bro_jon                       5
>...................   etc ...........
>bro_jon       4              40
>sam_tyl       2              1
>sam_tyl       4              2
>...................   etc ...........

Is this the structure of your Table? Do you actually have fields named Value
and Field? If so they're both reserved words, and should be changed.

>QUESTION - For any given ID, say bro_jon, how do I get the value keyed into
>textbox s1, s2, s3.... on the form  to be recorded as the Value for Field
>1,2,3...  ?  Am I doing this wrong?

Well, by using 40 unbound (I presume - do textboxes S1 through S40 have
anything in their Control Source property?) textboxes on your form, you are
certainly making your job much more difficult! For one thing, you're casting
the structure of your evaluation in concrete. Suppose next month you come up
with a list of 45 criteria, 38 of them drawn from the existing 40, and 7 new
ones? You want to redesign your form, change a whole lot of labels, etc.?
ouch!!

If so, you will need to put a command button on the Form. It will open a
Recordset based on your table; it will need to poll through the 40 textboxes
looking for non-NULL values, and if it finds one, use the AddNew method to
create a new record in the table, copy the value from the ID and the textbox
to it... fairly complex code.

I would suggest a different database structure entirely. You could have three
tables such as

Students
  StudentID
  LastName
  FirstName <etc.> <you presumably already have such a table>

Criteria
  CriterionNo <Number, Long Integer, Primary Key>
  Criterion <Text, what's on your textbox labels now>
  <other info about this criterion, e.g. range of valid values; you might want
to have more flexibility to include yes/no criteria, date criteria, etc.>

Evaluations
  StudentID <who's being evaluated>
  CriterionNo <what they're being evaluated on>
  Measurement <your 1-5 value, currently>

You could use a Form based on Students with a continuous Subform based on a
Query:

SELECT Criteria.CriterionNo, Criteria.Criterion, Evaluations.CriterionNo,
Evaluations.StudentID, Evaluations.Measurement
FROM Criteria LEFT JOIN Evaluations
ON Criteria.CriterionNo = Evaluations.CriteriaNo
ORDER BY Criteria.CriterionNo;

Have textboxes on the subform for Criteria.CriterionNo, Criteria.Criterion,
and Evaluations.Measurement, and use StudentID as the subform's master/child
link field. Set the Locked property of CriterionNo and Criterion to Yes - they
should be for display only, not for editing!

This subform will show you all 40 rows with the text meaning of each
criterion, and have a textbox in which you can enter the 1 - 5 value (or you
could use a Combo box instead to make controlled data entry easier).

The advantage here is that your criteria can now be edited simply by editing
the contents of the Criteria table; it's not necessary to change your Forms
design at all, you can add new criteria, delete criteria, change the text of
criteria at any time.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> [...]
> FROM Criteria LEFT JOIN Evaluations
> ON Criteria.CriterionNo = Evaluations.CriteriaNo
> ORDER BY Criteria.CriterionNo;
>
> Have textboxes on the subform for Criteria.CriterionNo, Criteria.Criterion,
> and Evaluations.Measurement, and use StudentID as the subform's master/child
> link field. Set the Locked property of CriterionNo and Criterion to Yes - they
> should be for display only, not for editing!
>
> This subform will show you all 40 rows with the text meaning of each
> criterion, and have a textbox in which you can enter the 1 - 5 value (or you
> could use a Combo box instead to make controlled data entry easier).
>
> The advantage here is that your criteria can now be edited simply by editing
> the contents of the Criteria table; it's not necessary to change your Forms
> design at all, you can add new criteria, delete criteria, change the text of

hello to all

John - I've followed your advice to a "T" and have learned a lot.  I have
one remaining question that is giving me trouble still.

My subform is based on the query you suggested, and it does indeed show 40
records with fields  Criteria.CriterionNo, Criteria.CriterionDesc,
Evaluations.Measurement.  But, when this subfom is placed in the main form
(frmStudents based on table Students) and linked by StudentID, then the
subform only shows those records where the student already has a measurement
in the Evaluations table.  I really need it to show all 40 records so that I
can enter the student's values in the Measurement field.  Any hints?

Much thanks

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> [...]
> FROM Criteria LEFT JOIN Evaluations
> ON Criteria.CriterionNo = Evaluations.CriteriaNo
> ORDER BY Criteria.CriterionNo;
>
> Have textboxes on the subform for Criteria.CriterionNo, Criteria.Criterion,
> and Evaluations.Measurement, and use StudentID as the subform's master/child
> link field. Set the Locked property of CriterionNo and Criterion to Yes - they
> should be for display only, not for editing!
>
> This subform will show you all 40 rows with the text meaning of each
> criterion, and have a textbox in which you can enter the 1 - 5 value (or you
> could use a Combo box instead to make controlled data entry easier).
>
> The advantage here is that your criteria can now be edited simply by editing
> the contents of the Criteria table; it's not necessary to change your Forms
> design at all, you can add new criteria, delete criteria, change the text of

Victoria: You really DON'T need to show all 40 evaluation records. If your
subform has the Allow Additions property set to Yes, you can add a new
evaluation record for the student displayed on the main form. Just scroll to
the bottom of the displayed rows, and type into the blank row there. Ideally,
you should make the control bound to the Criterion field a drop-down combo
box, whose row source is the query:
SELECT CriterionID, CriterionText FROM Criteria
WHERE CriterionID NOT IN
(SELECT CriterionID FROM Evaluation
WHERE StudentID=ThisStudentID)

This StudentID is a variable that contains the ID from the main student form.
--
TedMi

> hello to all
>
> John - I've followed your advice to a "T" and have learned a lot.  I have
> one remaining question that is giving me trouble still.
>
> My subform is based on the query you suggested, and it does indeed show 40
> records with fields  Criteria.CriterionNo, Criteria.CriterionDesc,
> Evaluations.Measurement.  But, when this subfom is placed in the main form
> (frmStudents based on table Students) and linked by StudentID, then the
> subform only shows those records where the student already has a
> measurement
> in the Evaluations table.  I really need it to show all 40 records so that
> can enter the student's values in the Measurement field.  Any hints?

You need to make another left join to the students table.  The student
should be on the left side and your existing query should be on the right
side.

HTH;

Amy

0
Amy

Is there help for beginners?
I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft Outlook came with it. I cannot figure out how to use it! I can get email, but I cannot send it! It stays in the Outbox forever, and when I try to send it from there, I'm told it's not possible. Aren't there any beginner tutorials I can look at? I really could use some help! Thanks! -- drexlori In news:A1E6C03C-FCA4-4125-B97A-B4515798D670@microsoft.com, drexlori <drexlori@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft > Outlook came with it. I cannot...

Make a change to an Update Query
I need to make changes to an update query but when I open the desing view it only shows the field that being updated. How do I view the hidden fields? Answered in your prior post John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County JLUTHER wrote: > I need to make changes to an update query but when I open the desing view it > only shows the field that being updated. How do I view the hidden fields? ...

embarrasing newbie question
Hi Im actually only a newbie with GUI programming under VC++ Last week, I added a button to my rebar, and to handle it in my MainFrame I just chose the buttons ID in the middle combo in the wizard bar, and selected Add Windows Message Handler. Then, in the left panel I saw UPDATE_COMMAND_UI. I simply then add a Member Function to MainFrame and all was good. However today, I do the same steps with a new button, but in the dialog box I only see BN_CLICKED and BN_DOUBLECLICKED. The UPDATE_COMMAND_UI is missing. Whats funny is, even if I choose the button I made last week, and go into...

Query SQL report
Hello, I have about 20 queries in the database. I am creating a documentation for the database, and would like to put the SQL of each query in the documentation as well. The only way I can think of is to open the query in SQL view, copy the SQL text, and paste it into word document. Do this one-by-one. I would appreciate if you have any other ideas to do this. Is there is a way to export all at once? thanks! Boon You did not say what version of Access you are running. I have 2007 and do not see it but older version you would go to Tools - Analyze - Documentor - c...

Error 3164 after uipdate of query-based RowSource fro combo box
I have a combo box (cboPartNo) that is set up so that if a part number is entered into it that is not contained in the Row Source, the NotInList event is fired, which takes the user to another form (UnstockedInventory) for entry of applicable information for the new part. When the new record is saved in UnstockedInventory, an append query is generated that creates a base record in the Inventory table from which the RowSource for cboPartNo is generated. The code then does a docmd.requery of cboPartNo and the new part number appears in the dropdown. However, when the user then attempts...

Comments in a query
Is there a way to write comments in a query? "Daryl" <devaccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:usr4cDHNIHA.5400@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to write comments in a query? I don't think there is any way of doing this in Access SQL. You can in other flavours of SQL. Ed Metcalfe. Daryl wrote: > Is there a way to write comments in a query? Not natively, as you can with other products, but there are some options Check out Stephen Lebans method here http://www.lebans.com/addsqlcomments.htm You could also use the description property of the quer...

Another Sum Question
I am using a rather large genomic data set in which I need to classif certain gene functions as one of three things. Each gene (row) ha several ID numbers associated with it. For instance one row could loo like "GO:0005524,GO:0000074,GO:0005730." I need excel to find a match and then add one to an adjacent column (basically tallying). Fo instance, if I search for "GO:0005524" I need excel to search the 100 rows containing this information, and then when it finds a row wit "GO:0005524" to add one to the adjacent column while staying within th same row. That i...

Question #10
1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images everytime I open a message? John Jeremiah wrote: > 1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images > everytime I open a message? > > > John > > try going to options, security, click "download picture settings" AL "Jeremiah" <jeremiah@truth.org> wrote in message news:eIxKcxdJGHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > 1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images > everytime I open a message? > > > Joh...

Database degrag query
Hi , I am using exchange 2003 with SP1. I have calculated the total size of mailboxes , it is total 30 GB. But the size if edb file is 50 GB and stm file is 25 GB . I have defraged the database offline so that it will purge the white space if there is any. but after defrag no difference in size of the database. it is still 50gb edb and 25 gb stm file. can anuone explain if i have only 30gb total mailbox size then why it is taking so much space. there is no rules and othere things define. Waiting for your help. Regards, Abhi. On 25 Oct 2004 20:45:43 -0700, pandeyabhishek2000@yahoo.com (abhi...

Help for a Beginner Among Beginners
Hello, would anyone kindly point me in the general direction of a solution to a very basic database question (I'm not even sure where to ask)? I have a small consulting company of a dozen employees, with no IT dept. We have info from approx 1000 clients stored in an Access 2000 database which is 10MB in size. A former employee made a simple form, which we populate with client info, and we just add records. The file is on a file server, and all 12 of us access it simultaneously. Recently, I hired a guy to setup a VPN, so that employees can add data to the database while on the road. Howeve...

union query
Is there any limitation on the union quries? I am trying to union 15 quries and getting system resources exceeded msg, but if I union 10 quries it works. Thanks Tony ...

O-2003 questions
Installed Outlook 2003 last night and found out in a hurry it's a lot different than OE. It's not a program for home users!! If I can't get a few things working like I want....it will be deleted in a hurry! When I recieve an email with a photo(s) attached, I want to see the photo below the text.....just like I do in OE. I don't want to click on an icon each time to do that! I haven't found a way to automatically add a senders email address in my address book when sending a reply. That feature is an option in OE and I have used it for years. Why would MS leave it ou...

Join Query?
I have 6 tables that have the same data types in them. It is 6 levels of information, but for each level the data collected is the same. So for instance, in the tblMainGoals i have GoalID, GoalNumber and GoalName. Then in the tblLevel2Goals I have Level2ID, Level2Number and Level2Name, etc. There is also a field on tblLevel2Goals for GoalID, which links artificially the two goals together (ie, all Level 2 Goals are a subset of a main goal). Is there a way to create a query which will simply list all the goals, without repeating them? Ideally I'd like a query that had ID, Number, Name as th...

IF_THEN_ELSE question
Here's what I have: A1 = .75 (that's point seventy-five, less than zero) B1 = the argument =IF(A1<0,A1,0) The result I get in B1 is 0 when it should get the number in A! which is .75 (point seventy-five). If A1 is 3 (or any number greater than zero), I get whatever the number in A1 is, but I should get 0.. If I change the argument to >0 (greater than zero), it always gives me the number in A1, even when it's less than 0. Yes, I triple-checked all the numbers I put in A1 to make sure there were no misplaced decimals. Can someine tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks...

Query to pull set criteria or all
I have the following query: SELECT [P682 Countsheet].Username, [P682 Countsheet].Task, [P682 Countsheet].Product, [P682 Countsheet].[Assign Date], [P682 Countsheet].[Description of Task], [P682 Countsheet].[Due Date], [P682 Countsheet].Status, ([Volume]-[Done]) AS Expr1, [Area to Task Query].Area FROM [P682 Countsheet] INNER JOIN [Area to Task Query] ON [P682 Countsheet].Task = [Area to Task Query].[Task ] WHERE ((([P682 Countsheet].Username)=[enter opid]) AND (([P682 Countsheet].Status)<>"Completed")); I would like the query to ask for an OPID as i have set o...

CString question #4
Hello, I have just one little question : if I use the followig code CString mystring; mystring = "HELLO"; myeditbox.SetWindowText(mystring.GetBuffer(0)); do I need, after that, to free or release the mystring variable, or can I use GetBuffer(0) just like this with nothing else ? Thanks. -- LA FINALITE DYNAMISE LES RESULTATS THEMATIQUES DES BENEFICIAIRES You do not need to call GetBuffer. Just do :- CString mystring = "HELLO"; myeditbox.SetWindowText(mystring); -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "ByB" <em...

CRM Langauge question
Is this product also avaliable in the Dutch language? So people who can't understand english can also work with the program. So i wnat to nkow if the program is also available in a full dutch version Arjen Arjen, There is a full dutch version available.The current version (3.0) does not support multi lingual Stephen "arjen1984" <arjen1984@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77B65569-5EC5-4576-8A27-8D4E524548EA@microsoft.com... > Is this product also avaliable in the Dutch language? > So people who can't understand english can also work with th...

HTML QUESTION
IN THE HTML SCREEN WHEN I SELECTED A CUSTOMER THERE ACCOUNT BALANCE USED TO SHOW UP WHEN I UPGRADED TO 2.0 IT DOES NOT SHOW UP ANYMORE AND I DO NOT KNOW THE NAME OF THE FILE IT WAS UNDER ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO FIND IT? ...

help for query require
Hi I have reqiured a query which extract data from the table which is based on max date & time and today date,please hel p me Tablename xyz S.no Symbol Date &time Opening rate Current rate 1 hbl 21-08-2010 9:15:36 101 105 2 hbl 21-08-2010 9:15:40 101 106 3 hbl 21-08-2010 9:15:55 101 104 4 ppl 21-08-2010 9:15:36 125 130 5 ppl 21-08-2010 9:15:40 125 131 6 ppl 21-08-2010 9:15:50 125 128 7 ppl 21-08-2010 9:15:55 125 126 Out put S.no symbol Date & time op...

query error message
UPDATE PUBLIC_Transaction INNER JOIN ShipTo ON PUBLIC_Transaction.ShipToID = ShipTo.ID SET PUBLIC_Transaction.ReferenceNumber = [dbo_ShipTo].[Name] WHERE (((Len([name]))>0)) When I try to run this I get the error message An Error occurred while executing query: Inccorrect syntax near the keyword ‘inner’ We used to have local support that set this up we were able to run it once when it was set up and was told we could re run it when ever we needed to update the infor. Also was told they would send me a new query that would update this info constantly. Never got the email they disap...

Web Query Import
I have some data on a web page and I want to use the Data/Import External Data/Web Query to pull the data into an excel spreadsheet. The problem is that the import tries to interpret the data and changes it. The first line below is what was on the web, the second line is what excel changed it to.....I've tried all of the options with no luck .... I just want it to pull it in as text and not mess with it. Any ideas? 083934 03830000 05 0.00 30735800000000000060 83934 3830000 5 0 3.07358E+19 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ have you tried pre-formatti...

Average within Query
Is there a way to average the values of field within a query? I have a query that determines the total minutes a task takes to complete, this field is label “Minutes”. I would like to average the “Minutes” not including the blank records, and the display the average minutes in a report. Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I'm not sure how to used the Average function in this case. KARL DEWEY wrote: >A totals query has Average as one of the selection options. >> Is there a way to average the values of field within a query? >> >[quoted text cl...

Outlook 2007
In Outlook 2003 you could view the 7-day work week calendar in a 2- column display instead of the 7 day (side-by-side calendar). Does anyone know if this is not available in Outlook 2007? Not everyone cares for the 7-day vertical calendar. Thanks, Linda. outlook 2007 does not have that view. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://w...

&quot;New Web Query&quot; function
good day, are there any friends use New Web Query fuction under Data -> impor external data? My objective is to export (a list of stocks info) from web page t Excel spread sheet. e.g. the is is Microsoft's stock details (stock code: MSFT) http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=MSFT i can use "New Web Query" function to link this page to spread sheet. Question: how can I define a list of stocks (let say 10 differen stocks) that I want to monitor apart from creating 10 differen separate spreadsheets link with each individual stock code? any ideas are welcome thanks for your help ...

MS Query help required
Hi I have a spreadsheet on my notebook which I use for DBA services at a particular client. It connects to database server via an existing ODBC database connection extracting data from system tables. I would like to be able use this spreadsheet at other clients, WITHOUT having to create a new ODBC connection. Is there any way that this can be accomplished? The ideal scenario would be that the logon credentials and server address reside on one sheet and upon arrival at another client, one merely changes this information and then queries the database. Any help would be appreciated. Regards -...