Adding Sequential numbers to a new feld in access table.

I am working with a table which is actually a merge of 14 other
tables, therefore there is no real index key.

Table 1 Index was 1-5000
Table 2 index was 1-5000

In the merged database there are about 52,000 records, but no index
key.

I added a field to the table named Index and would like to populate
that field with a unique index number.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could create an update query which
would add 1-52,000 to this field.

Thank you for your help.
1
rjcmi

rjcmi wrote:

>I am working with a table which is actually a merge of 14 other
>tables, therefore there is no real index key.
>
>Table 1 Index was 1-5000
>Table 2 index was 1-5000
>
>In the merged database there are about 52,000 records, but no index
>key.
>
>I added a field to the table named Index and would like to populate
>that field with a unique index number.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on how I could create an update query which
>would add 1-52,000 to this field.

Not with just that information.  OTOH, why not just add an
autonumber field and let Access fo it for you?

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Access 2007 DB and VPN issues
I have a frontend and backend database installed at my office. I (used to) do most of my programming on the front end while at home by linking the home db to duplicate tables at home. However, after I split the database at my office I am no longer able to even open the front end portion of the database existing on my home computer. The program quickly just compacts and closes again, never even opening the DB. Any thoughts on what is going on here would be greatly appreciated. Do you have any code that runs on startup? (Rules out any issues related to startup-code) Have ...

Seperating text/Numbers
Fantastic , thanks, that has done the tric -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27112 ...

moving normal.dot, excel customizations to new computer
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP Pro Hi, I have customized my toolbar with custom menu items for macros, etc. I am now migrating to a new computer with same version of Excel; but would like to take with me the customizations, both as to tool bars and menu items, etc.; and macros (I guess I'll have to import the files containing the macros). For the customizations, is it just a matter of exporting/copying a files such as normal.dot (as in Word), etc.? Any suggestions in helping me achieve a smooth transition and replicate same setup on new computer as in old, would be very appreciated. Do a wi...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Recipe Database in Access
Hi Guys Last year my partner and I bought a small country kitchen where we make jams, chutneys, sauces etc. We would like to put all our recipes into an access database. Can anyone please point us in the right direction to find one. The functionality we are looking for includes: - ingredient searches ... eg - so we can pull up all recipes that malt vinegar (which includes gluten) and replace with a gluten free vinegar. - ingredient costs ... to help with product pricing. - volume output - recipe owner ... some of the recipes are owned by a specific customers and we only make that produ...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

When adding attachments...

search telephone numbers outlook 2007
Please help I cant seem to search for telephone numbers once they have been altered in a hyperlink ie when you type tel:0111122223 followed by either a space or return in an appointment. even using the advanced search criteria? can telephone number be searched? you could search for tel No's in earlier versions of outlook what am I doing wrong. Thank you KC ...

Folder access permission
I have various clients where certain folders, ie Calendar where the permission cannot be change as I get that access is denied but other folders in the sub tree are fine within Outlook 2003 I notice that there are deleted user account info still there within folder but I cannot remove. We upgraded from SBS2k to SBS2003 and I imported via the wizard all messages. What other steps can I look at. I have tried removing and then adding user rights to this mailbox using ADSI Edit Many thanks ...

My column headers are numbers
Hello there, The column headings in my spreadsheet are numbers not letters. What have I done? Thank you in advance for your help. Judith Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'R1C1 Reference Style' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JudithJubilee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:097301c4d871$66a88240$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > The column headings in my spreadsheet are numbers not > letters. What have I done? > > Thank you in advance for your help. > Judith ...

New Entry Point for a DLL
Hey all. I have a problem with a DLL written in VC++ 6.00. There are 5 existing entry points, and I'm trying to create a new one. I've copied the syntax of the existing code - I have a method that looks like this: double WINAPI getElapsedSecs() { return elapsedSecs; } and a declaration that sits with the other declaration and looks like this: extern "C" double WINAPI getElapsedSecs(); I rebuild the DLL, and everything seems to have compiled ok. However, when the .NET parent program tries to call this entry point, I get an EntryPointNotFoundException....

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

Inbox doesn't show new emails in Outlook 2007
When I am looking in the Inbox and new emails arrive they don't appear although the number of unread emails in the Inbox increases. I have to select another folder and then return to the Inbox to see the new emails. -- Peter Saxton from London peter@petersaxton.co.uk What kind of email account? Do you have any anti-virus Outlook plugin disabled, especially AVG's? Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "peter@petersaxton.co.uk" <peter@petersaxton.co.uk> wrote in message news:f9vb82hg7m14to2ep3pr3qkh761bbo0k3d@4ax.com: > When I am looking in the Inbo...

NUMBERS
HOW DO I PUT A ZERO IN FRONT OF MY NUMBERS EVERY TIME I GO TO NEXT CELL THE ZERO DISAPERS AND A COMMA APEARS I DONT WANT THIS?? HEL THANKS Hi first: please turn of your CAPS-Lock. It's considered as shouting in newsgroups Not quite sure about your issue but ry 'Tools - options - Edit' and uncheck 'fixed Decimals' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany LILA wrote: > HOW DO I PUT A ZERO IN FRONT OF MY NUMBERS EVERY TIME I GO TO NEXT > CELL THE ZERO DISAPERS AND A COMMA APEARS I DONT WANT THIS??? > > HELP > > THANKS Hi Lila! What numbers are you...

Deny Access to All Public Folders
In Exchange 2003 what is the best way to deny access to the entire Public Folder Hierarchy for specific clients? On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:42:06 -0700, "Anthony Pezzullo" <anthonypezzullo@hotmail.com> wrote: >In Exchange 2003 what is the best way to deny access to the entire Public >Folder Hierarchy for specific clients? Give them OE and let them pop their email :) Its all about permissions, if they dont have any ( and anonymous/ default is set to none on *all* the folders and they are not visible and they are not part of any group that has defined permisssions etc et...

grouping in Excel Pivot table
currently i am using pivot table to calculate the grand total for ageing day in my report. The ageing day are 1, 2, 3 to 6 days and > 6 days that i want to group together. In pivot table, it can only able to calculate the grand total like total ageing for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days.... and go on. Is there any way that pivot table will do what i want or you guys can suggest any other method? I am aware of group function in pivot table but it cannot suit my needs. Thanks Lim Heng Sin All sorts of data can be analysed by adding another column to the base data and using the new field in ...

Sort by: Site ID/Item Number/Bin for Stock Count Entry Screen
Would like an additional sort selection in the Stock Count Entry Screen. Sort by: Site ID/Item Number/Bin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7e69d84a-032e-4f61...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered
I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered into it For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date I would like to automaticly create a new worksheet and call it that date entered to B11 Then if I type a Date into cell B12 a new worksheet would be created and named the date entered into B12 and so on Is this out of the question See response in your other post. "Zane" wrote: > I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered > into it > > For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date > I would l...

Custom Number Format #4
hi there, I�ve got a list of equipments that are tagged with the company� inventory number. Each item has its own tag which�s composed by eigh characters and the first is separated by an "-" , like this example *1-0012345*. Unfortunately the list is generated by an old system that can hold onl 12 character tags and doesn�t support any other symbols. Therefore, it puts a couple of ZEROS to replace the " - " symbol, an another couple of ZEROS at the end to sum up 12 characters. In the end the tags look like: *100001234500*. How can I format the tag column to display the o...

sorting numbers in a column
Problem: The numbers I am sorting are composed of various numbers of integers, some having four digits, others five or six, and so on. I would like to have them sort by number regardless of number of digits. Will Excel let me do this? example: presently it looks like this: 3004 12001656 530393505 2200498378 and I really want it to sort like this: 12001656 2200498378 3004 530393505 Can this be done? -- kailuamike ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kailuamike's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29558 View...