adding new records from one table to an existing table

I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.

Thanks for any help.

0
Josh

If you are doing the append query from the QBE grid, you should be able to
select the fields from the table. If the field names were the same, Access
would assume that's what you want. As your names are different, you'll need
to select the field names.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Josh Wexler" wrote:

> I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
> simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
> existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
> long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
> another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
> identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
> in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
> in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
> corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
> can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
> it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.
>
> Thanks for any help.

You're on the right track by using an append query.  What happens when you
try to run the query?  Is there an error message?  Make sure you set the
Append To: line correctly since the field names are not the same (e.g. Field:
Original Address 1 and Append To: Address 1).  Also, if there is a required
field in the target table that doesn't exist in the source table, you may
need to enter default data in the Field: line.

Josh Wexler wrote:
>I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
>simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
>existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
>long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
>another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
>identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
>in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
>in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
>corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
>can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
>it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.
>
>Thanks for any help.

kingston
7/6/2007 3:11:14 PM
Thanks for the help.  I'm an idiot. That was so ridiculously easy.

On Jul 6, 11:11 am, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
wrote:
> You're on the right track by using an append query.  What happens when you
> try to run the query?  Is there an error message?  Make sure you set the
> Append To: line correctly since the field names are not the same (e.g. Field:
> Original Address 1 and Append To: Address 1).  Also, if there is a required
> field in the target table that doesn't exist in the source table, you may
> need to enter default data in the Field: line.
>
> Josh Wexler wrote:
> >I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me.  This may be really
> >simple.  I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the
> >existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/
> >long, address, etc.  Periodically I will need to add new records from
> >another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't
> >identical.  ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and
> >in the new table it says Address 1.  I also don't have all the fields
> >in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their
> >corresponding fields(i will fill in the missing fields later).  i
> >can't seem to do this. I have been trying to do an append query, but
> >it's failing, i believe due to having different named fields.
>
> >Thanks for any help.

Josh

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Reports only Show 10 Records
I notice that when you run a lot of the reports (eg Account Overview) there is only a maximum of ten records returned. This appears to be hardcoded as the report also states the fact in the footer. Any way around this? If the filter used on the report actually referred to, for instance, 25 Accounts how would you get all 25 reports? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks Cozy export that report to its rdl file and take a look through the reports source code which might tell you. Also make sure you also export any of its sub reports. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsof...

two domains in one outlook profile
Hey, Is there a way to choose what address shows up on the Sent From line in outlook. I have a users, all in one exchange server, who need to have their FROM LINE display a different domain then their main reply email. Both addresses are set up on their exchange account, so then can receive emails when an email is sent to user@domain1.com and user@domain2.com. By default, when they create a new email, the recipient will always see @domain1.com. Is there a way to choose what domain shows up in the FROM line so that when they need to send to certain recipients, the recipient sees ...

no sound for new mail in inbox
i have same problems about sound. 1. does that mean i have to leave outlook open for 5 minutes or longer to hear a sound for new mail in the inbox? 2, do i have to create a rule to play a sound for items going into personal folders?and how do you do that? 1. Please quote the post to which you are referring - no one here has any idea what the original question/answer entailed. 2. Post your version of Outlook. 3. Use rules and alerts. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: h...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

When adding attachments...

New Entry Point for a DLL
Hey all. I have a problem with a DLL written in VC++ 6.00. There are 5 existing entry points, and I'm trying to create a new one. I've copied the syntax of the existing code - I have a method that looks like this: double WINAPI getElapsedSecs() { return elapsedSecs; } and a declaration that sits with the other declaration and looks like this: extern "C" double WINAPI getElapsedSecs(); I rebuild the DLL, and everything seems to have compiled ok. However, when the .NET parent program tries to call this entry point, I get an EntryPointNotFoundException....

Inbox doesn't show new emails in Outlook 2007
When I am looking in the Inbox and new emails arrive they don't appear although the number of unread emails in the Inbox increases. I have to select another folder and then return to the Inbox to see the new emails. -- Peter Saxton from London peter@petersaxton.co.uk What kind of email account? Do you have any anti-virus Outlook plugin disabled, especially AVG's? Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "peter@petersaxton.co.uk" <peter@petersaxton.co.uk> wrote in message news:f9vb82hg7m14to2ep3pr3qkh761bbo0k3d@4ax.com: > When I am looking in the Inbo...

Error when add New User #2
Hi, dont know when it happened. When I add new user to production MSCRM 4, there is an error message (An error Has occurred.....). However, when I try to add this user to my test CRM, it can successfully add without any problem. Both servers are running the same spec and version. I tried to add different users to production but all failed. I have set the deverror to ON but the error message still appear as An error has occurs. Apart from that, I have used CRM diagostic Tool but cannot see anything unusual from the log. I have even run the repair but effort is all wasted. Please He...

Add new field to grid
I have added the Customer Ship to Address to the RM Customer Inquiry grid. I need to create VBA code to populate this field. In a grid window, where do I open the data base and at what point do I read the table to populate this field. Thank you Amy Hi Amy Using the Window_AfterOpen event, you will need to use RetrieveGlobals to obtain the login credentials, then ADO to open a connection to the SQL server. You close the connection on the Window_AfterClose event. Then on the Before_LinePopulate event on the Grid form, you perform the actual SQL query. I have an example you can have ...

How to send alert to mobile device when new mail arrives?
Gurus, I have a user who is member of a mail-enabled distribution group. She would like to recieve an alert or notification on her mobile whenever mail is recieved through this group address. How can I accomplish this? I'm using Exchange 2003 SP2 on Server2003. Thanks, -Michael On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:18:02 -0700, Holo20 <Holo20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Gurus, > >I have a user who is member of a mail-enabled distribution group. She would >like to recieve an alert or notification on her mobile whenever mail is >recieved through this group address. How ...

CSV truncates after 15th record
xl2k on w2kpro Have a CSV file used for a mail merge which has two records on it (the 1st being a header). There are 46 fields (columns) with the last 5 fields being null. Making a test file, want 25 records (plus the header). If I select the 2nd record (data) and drag the fill handle down (while holding Ctrl to stop any incrementing) to make the 24 records I want, it only will fill the null fields (with comma delimiters) for the 1st 14 copied records. Looking at it with a viewer ("V") the null fields are truncated (CrLf) starting on the 17th record. I can figure out how to create...

create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered
I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered into it For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date I would like to automaticly create a new worksheet and call it that date entered to B11 Then if I type a Date into cell B12 a new worksheet would be created and named the date entered into B12 and so on Is this out of the question See response in your other post. "Zane" wrote: > I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered > into it > > For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date > I would l...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

grouping in Excel Pivot table
currently i am using pivot table to calculate the grand total for ageing day in my report. The ageing day are 1, 2, 3 to 6 days and > 6 days that i want to group together. In pivot table, it can only able to calculate the grand total like total ageing for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days.... and go on. Is there any way that pivot table will do what i want or you guys can suggest any other method? I am aware of group function in pivot table but it cannot suit my needs. Thanks Lim Heng Sin All sorts of data can be analysed by adding another column to the base data and using the new field in ...

Select ALL filter in one fell swoop
Sometimes it is difficult to see all the columns which has a filter applied, is there a convenient way to select the ALL option on a filter for all the filters in the sheet. I do not want to remove the filter only have a handy way of not having the filter applied. there could be up to 6 columns filtered on the sheet at the same time. Choose Data>Filter>Show All Pat wrote: > Sometimes it is difficult to see all the columns which has a filter > applied, is there a convenient way to select the ALL option on a filter for > all the filters in the sheet. I do not want to remov...

Y-Error Bars
I am having trouble putting a y-error bar on one data point in my series. Excel wants to add error bars to all points (bars) in the series. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Hi Diana, To get error bars on a single bar you can use the Custom +/- reference boxes on the Error bar tabs. Use this to get your values from worksheets cells. Obviously within the cells are zero values for all but the bar your want. Cheers Andy Diana wrote: > I am having trouble putting a y-error bar on one data > point in my series. Excel wants to add error bars to all > points (bars) in the ...

Adding alternate columns

Roaming users getting new mail profile each login
We recently changed Outlook settings using the Office 2003 Administration kit. This worked well apart from roaming users constantly getting new mail profiles and having to reset their original mail profile. The problem creates a backup outlook2 profile in the control panel and the correct profile is not loaded. TIA David ...

Adding fields from a different query