Adding a new record with a reference to another table

Not sure if this is a 'Query' question or a database design question but
hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a database with 3 tables, Roles, Targets and Actions, defined as
follows:

tblTargets
==========
TargetID (AutoNum, PK)
TargetText (Text)

tblRoles
========
RoleID (AutoNum, PK)
RoleText (Text, unique index)

tblActions
==========
ActionID (AutoNum, PK)
RoleID (Integer)
TargetID (Integer)
ActionText (Text)

TargetID+RoleID = Unique index

For each Target there may be several combinations of Roles/Actions.

I'd like to be able to create a query/form where I can enter a new
ActionText for a combination of RoleText and TargetText, i.e. entering the
text of the role rather than the ID (and also text of the Target rather than
the TargetID). At the moment I can't even get the join between tblRoles and
tblActions to work.

e.g. My query qryRolesActions looks like this:

SELECT tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
FROM tblRoles LEFT JOIN tblActions ON tblRoles.RoleID = tblActions.RoleID
ORDER BY tblRoles.Role, tblActions.Actions;

This successfully returns the correct dataset for existing data, but when I
try to add a new record by entering the text corresponding to an existing
RoleText it tries immediately to create a new RoleID for this RoleText and
returns a duplicate error

Is there any way round this? Is my database design even correct?

TIA

TishyMouse

Are the actions going to be a relatively static list, or will each ActionText
value be different?  If different, then the structure you have looks like it
is probably good.

You might need to change the query to something like:

Select tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
FROM tblActions INNER JOIN tblRoles
ON tblActions.RoleID = tblRoles.RoleID

You might also want to consider joining the Target table to this as well, so
you can see the TargetText.

This query should be updateable, and should add the record to tblActions
rather than tblRoles.

HTH
Dale

--
Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"TishyMouse" wrote:

> Not sure if this is a 'Query' question or a database design question but
> hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.
>
> I have a database with 3 tables, Roles, Targets and Actions, defined as
> follows:
>
> tblTargets
> ==========
> TargetID (AutoNum, PK)
> TargetText (Text)
>

> tblRoles
> ========
> RoleID (AutoNum, PK)
> RoleText (Text, unique index)
>
> tblActions
> ==========
> ActionID (AutoNum, PK)
> RoleID (Integer)
> TargetID (Integer)
> ActionText (Text)
>
> TargetID+RoleID = Unique index
>
> For each Target there may be several combinations of Roles/Actions.
>
> I'd like to be able to create a query/form where I can enter a new
> ActionText for a combination of RoleText and TargetText, i.e. entering the
> text of the role rather than the ID (and also text of the Target rather than
> the TargetID). At the moment I can't even get the join between tblRoles and
> tblActions to work.
>
> e.g. My query qryRolesActions looks like this:
>
> SELECT tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
> tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
> FROM tblRoles LEFT JOIN tblActions ON tblRoles.RoleID = tblActions.RoleID
> ORDER BY tblRoles.Role, tblActions.Actions;
>

> This successfully returns the correct dataset for existing data, but when I
> try to add a new record by entering the text corresponding to an existing
> RoleText it tries immediately to create a new RoleID for this RoleText and
> returns a duplicate error
>

> Is there any way round this? Is my database design even correct?
>
> TIA
>
> TishyMouse
Thanks very much for the response. Yes each ActionText valu will be different
- it is the roles that come from a limited list.

Unfortunately this doesn't work either. Just as before, the query is
updateable but as soon as I enter a value in the 'RoleText' column even if it
is a value that already exists in tblRoles it populates the 'RoleId' with a
new, unique number, leading to an error when saving the record because
RoleText is not unique in tblRole. If I do it the other way round and enter
the RoleID first it correctly populates RoleText and everything is fie but
unfortunately my users won't know what RoleID should be. Note that ultimately
I'll be using this in a cascading form but I figured I needed to get the
query working first...

"Dale Fye" wrote:

> Are the actions going to be a relatively static list, or will each ActionText
> value be different?  If different, then the structure you have looks like it
> is probably good.
>
> You might need to change the query to something like:
>
> Select tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
> tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
> FROM tblActions INNER JOIN tblRoles
> ON tblActions.RoleID = tblRoles.RoleID
>
> You might also want to consider joining the Target table to this as well, so
> you can see the TargetText.
>
> This query should be updateable, and should add the record to tblActions
> rather than tblRoles.
>
> HTH
> Dale
>
> --
> Email address is not valid.
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>

> "TishyMouse" wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is a 'Query' question or a database design question but
> > hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.
> >
> > I have a database with 3 tables, Roles, Targets and Actions, defined as
> > follows:
> >
> > tblTargets
> > ==========
> > TargetID (AutoNum, PK)
> > TargetText (Text)
> >

> > tblRoles
> > ========
> > RoleID (AutoNum, PK)
> > RoleText (Text, unique index)
> >
> > tblActions
> > ==========
> > ActionID (AutoNum, PK)
> > RoleID (Integer)
> > TargetID (Integer)
> > ActionText (Text)
> >
> > TargetID+RoleID = Unique index
> >
> > For each Target there may be several combinations of Roles/Actions.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to create a query/form where I can enter a new
> > ActionText for a combination of RoleText and TargetText, i.e. entering the
> > text of the role rather than the ID (and also text of the Target rather than
> > the TargetID). At the moment I can't even get the join between tblRoles and
> > tblActions to work.
> >
> > e.g. My query qryRolesActions looks like this:
> >
> > SELECT tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
> > tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
> > FROM tblRoles LEFT JOIN tblActions ON tblRoles.RoleID = tblActions.RoleID
> > ORDER BY tblRoles.Role, tblActions.Actions;
> >

> > This successfully returns the correct dataset for existing data, but when I
> > try to add a new record by entering the text corresponding to an existing
> > RoleText it tries immediately to create a new RoleID for this RoleText and
> > returns a duplicate error
> >

> > Is there any way round this? Is my database design even correct?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > TishyMouse
If you are going to put this in a form, leave the RoleText out of the query
altogether, and tblRoles too, for that matter.

On your form, have a combo box that uses tblRoles as its record source (bind
it to the RoleID field, but make that fields column width equal to zero).
Then, the users will be selecting the appropriate RoleText from the combo
box, but will actually be storing the RoleID value.

HTH
Dale
--

"TishyMouse" wrote:

> [...]
> > > ActionText for a combination of RoleText and TargetText, i.e. entering the
> > > text of the role rather than the ID (and also text of the Target rather than
> > > the TargetID). At the moment I can't even get the join between tblRoles and
> > > tblActions to work.
> > >
> > > e.g. My query qryRolesActions looks like this:
> > >
> > > SELECT tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
> > > tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
> > > FROM tblRoles LEFT JOIN tblActions ON tblRoles.RoleID = tblActions.RoleID
> > > ORDER BY tblRoles.Role, tblActions.Actions;
> > >

> > > This successfully returns the correct dataset for existing data, but when I
> > > try to add a new record by entering the text corresponding to an existing
> > > RoleText it tries immediately to create a new RoleID for this RoleText and
> > > returns a duplicate error
> > >

> > > Is there any way round this? Is my database design even correct?

Works a treat, thanks for your response.

"Dale Fye" wrote:

> If you are going to put this in a form, leave the RoleText out of the query
> altogether, and tblRoles too, for that matter.
>
> On your form, have a combo box that uses tblRoles as its record source (bind
> it to the RoleID field, but make that fields column width equal to zero).
> Then, the users will be selecting the appropriate RoleText from the combo
> box, but will actually be storing the RoleID value.
>
> HTH
> Dale
> --
> Email address is not valid.
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>

> "TishyMouse" wrote:
>
> > Thanks very much for the response. Yes each ActionText valu will be different
> > - it is the roles that come from a limited list.
> >
> > Unfortunately this doesn't work either. Just as before, the query is
> > updateable but as soon as I enter a value in the 'RoleText' column even if it
> > is a value that already exists in tblRoles it populates the 'RoleId' with a
> > new, unique number, leading to an error when saving the record because
> > RoleText is not unique in tblRole. If I do it the other way round and enter
> > the RoleID first it correctly populates RoleText and everything is fie but
> > unfortunately my users won't know what RoleID should be. Note that ultimately
> > I'll be using this in a cascading form but I figured I needed to get the
> > query working first...
> >

> > "Dale Fye" wrote:
> >
> > > Are the actions going to be a relatively static list, or will each ActionText
> > > value be different?  If different, then the structure you have looks like it
> > > is probably good.
> > >
> > > You might need to change the query to something like:
> > >
> > > Select tblActions.ActionID, tblActions.TargetID, tblActions.RoleID,
> > > tblRoles.RoleText, tblActions.ActionText
> > > FROM tblActions INNER JOIN tblRoles
> > > ON tblActions.RoleID = tblRoles.RoleID
> > >
> > > You might also want to consider joining the Target table to this as well, so
> > > you can see the TargetText.
> > >
> > > This query should be updateable, and should add the record to tblActions
> > > rather than tblRoles.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > Dale
> > >
> > > --
> > > Email address is not valid.
> > > Please reply to newsgroup only.

Cell refering filename in formula bar
How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar? Example: ='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1 A | B | C 1 | | 2 | filename1 | 3 | | 4 | | ="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1 will not work -- yee ve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479 View this thread: http://www.excel...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

relative reference to previous sheet in formulas?

Reports only Show 10 Records
I notice that when you run a lot of the reports (eg Account Overview) there is only a maximum of ten records returned. This appears to be hardcoded as the report also states the fact in the footer. Any way around this? If the filter used on the report actually referred to, for instance, 25 Accounts how would you get all 25 reports? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks Cozy export that report to its rdl file and take a look through the reports source code which might tell you. Also make sure you also export any of its sub reports. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsof...

no sound for new mail in inbox
i have same problems about sound. 1. does that mean i have to leave outlook open for 5 minutes or longer to hear a sound for new mail in the inbox? 2, do i have to create a rule to play a sound for items going into personal folders?and how do you do that? 1. Please quote the post to which you are referring - no one here has any idea what the original question/answer entailed. 2. Post your version of Outlook. 3. Use rules and alerts. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: h...

ADDING A NUMBER

Another Outlook Question
Whenever I compose a message the window always is small and I have to maximize this. Is there a way to have thw window always be large? Thanks and may God bless you John -- Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal (Matt 6:19-20). "Jeremiah" <jeremiah@truth.org> wrote in message news:OU8Jd2dJGHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Whenever I compose a message the win...

adding new records

When adding attachments...

New Entry Point for a DLL
Hey all. I have a problem with a DLL written in VC++ 6.00. There are 5 existing entry points, and I'm trying to create a new one. I've copied the syntax of the existing code - I have a method that looks like this: double WINAPI getElapsedSecs() { return elapsedSecs; } and a declaration that sits with the other declaration and looks like this: extern "C" double WINAPI getElapsedSecs(); I rebuild the DLL, and everything seems to have compiled ok. However, when the .NET parent program tries to call this entry point, I get an EntryPointNotFoundException....

Inbox doesn't show new emails in Outlook 2007
When I am looking in the Inbox and new emails arrive they don't appear although the number of unread emails in the Inbox increases. I have to select another folder and then return to the Inbox to see the new emails. -- Peter Saxton from London peter@petersaxton.co.uk What kind of email account? Do you have any anti-virus Outlook plugin disabled, especially AVG's? Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "peter@petersaxton.co.uk" <peter@petersaxton.co.uk> wrote in message news:f9vb82hg7m14to2ep3pr3qkh761bbo0k3d@4ax.com: > When I am looking in the Inbo...

Error when add New User #2
Hi, dont know when it happened. When I add new user to production MSCRM 4, there is an error message (An error Has occurred.....). However, when I try to add this user to my test CRM, it can successfully add without any problem. Both servers are running the same spec and version. I tried to add different users to production but all failed. I have set the deverror to ON but the error message still appear as An error has occurs. Apart from that, I have used CRM diagostic Tool but cannot see anything unusual from the log. I have even run the repair but effort is all wasted. Please He...

Add new field to grid
I have added the Customer Ship to Address to the RM Customer Inquiry grid. I need to create VBA code to populate this field. In a grid window, where do I open the data base and at what point do I read the table to populate this field. Thank you Amy Hi Amy Using the Window_AfterOpen event, you will need to use RetrieveGlobals to obtain the login credentials, then ADO to open a connection to the SQL server. You close the connection on the Window_AfterClose event. Then on the Before_LinePopulate event on the Grid form, you perform the actual SQL query. I have an example you can have ...

How to send alert to mobile device when new mail arrives?
Gurus, I have a user who is member of a mail-enabled distribution group. She would like to recieve an alert or notification on her mobile whenever mail is recieved through this group address. How can I accomplish this? I'm using Exchange 2003 SP2 on Server2003. Thanks, -Michael On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:18:02 -0700, Holo20 <Holo20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Gurus, > >I have a user who is member of a mail-enabled distribution group. She would >like to recieve an alert or notification on her mobile whenever mail is >recieved through this group address. How ...

CSV truncates after 15th record
xl2k on w2kpro Have a CSV file used for a mail merge which has two records on it (the 1st being a header). There are 46 fields (columns) with the last 5 fields being null. Making a test file, want 25 records (plus the header). If I select the 2nd record (data) and drag the fill handle down (while holding Ctrl to stop any incrementing) to make the 24 records I want, it only will fill the null fields (with comma delimiters) for the 1st 14 copied records. Looking at it with a viewer ("V") the null fields are truncated (CrLf) starting on the 17th record. I can figure out how to create...

create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered
I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered into it For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date I would like to automaticly create a new worksheet and call it that date entered to B11 Then if I type a Date into cell B12 a new worksheet would be created and named the date entered into B12 and so on Is this out of the question See response in your other post. "Zane" wrote: > I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered > into it > > For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date > I would l...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

grouping in Excel Pivot table
currently i am using pivot table to calculate the grand total for ageing day in my report. The ageing day are 1, 2, 3 to 6 days and > 6 days that i want to group together. In pivot table, it can only able to calculate the grand total like total ageing for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days.... and go on. Is there any way that pivot table will do what i want or you guys can suggest any other method? I am aware of group function in pivot table but it cannot suit my needs. Thanks Lim Heng Sin All sorts of data can be analysed by adding another column to the base data and using the new field in ...

Adding alternate columns

Roaming users getting new mail profile each login
We recently changed Outlook settings using the Office 2003 Administration kit. This worked well apart from roaming users constantly getting new mail profiles and having to reset their original mail profile. The problem creates a backup outlook2 profile in the control panel and the correct profile is not loaded. TIA David ...

Adding fields from a different query