Access replaces text with weird symbols

Hello All,
I've created a query, but when I run the query Access replaces the
words from the table with symbols like these: =EB=85=93=0C, =EA=9D=9C=0C, =
=E9=AC=8A=0C, =E8=B1=85=0C, etc.

Does anyone know how to make Access stop doing this and show the
actual text that I'm pulling off of the tables?

Thanks so much & sorry if this is something basic--still learning here.
0
davidmflanders

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:42:42 -0800 (PST), davidmflanders@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello All,
>I've created a query, but when I run the query Access replaces the
>words from the table with symbols like these: ?, ?, ?, ?, etc.
>
>Does anyone know how to make Access stop doing this and show the
>actual text that I'm pulling off of the tables?
>
>Thanks so much & sorry if this is something basic--still learning here.

My very strong guess is that you're trying to display a Lookup Field. What
you're seeing is the ASCII equivalent of the numeric ID which is what is
REALLY in your table, concealed from your view by Microsoft's misdesigned,
misleading, infuriating Lookup Wizard. If so you need to join the Lookup Table
to the query, and pull the word from the lookup table (the only place where
the word is actually stored).

Perhaps you could post the datatypes of your fields and the SQL view of the
query.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Go to the actual table and view the records. If you see a record that
displays those types of characters in a number of the fields, try to
change the record.  If you get an error message, that is an indication
that your table/mdb file is corrupt and you need to run a compact and
repair. And then you need to go back and delete the record.

If you don't get a message, then it still was probably a corrupt
record but you have already run a compact and repair since the time
that the record was coreated.

Typically corrupt records will NOT have enough information in them to
reconstruct the original information. If it does then you can decide
what you want to do (fix that record or delete and re-enter) The
problem with both approaches is if you have child tables that are
linked with this table via IDs you may end up with orphan child
records.

Good Luck.

Ron
0
Ron2006
3/4/2008 2:08:59 PM
On Mar 3, 7:22=A0pm, John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:42:42 -0800 (PST), davidmfland...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Hello All,
> >I've created a query, but when I run the query Access replaces the
> >words from the table with symbols like these: ? , ? , ? , ? , etc.
>
> >Does anyone know how to make Access stop doing this and show the
> >actual text that I'm pulling off of the tables?
>
> >Thanks so much & sorry if this is something basic--still learning here.
>
> My very strong guess is that you're trying to display a Lookup Field. What=

> you're seeing is the ASCII equivalent of the numeric ID which is what is
> REALLY in your table, concealed from your view by Microsoft's misdesigned,=

> misleading, infuriating Lookup Wizard. If so you need to join the Lookup T=
able
> to the query, and pull the word from the lookup table (the only place wher=
> the word is actually stored).
>
> Perhaps you could post the datatypes of your fields and the SQL view of th=
> query.
> --
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0John W. Vinson [MVP]

Hi John,
The query is as follows:

SELECT Application.LastName, Application.FirstName,
Application.MiddleName, JobPosting.PostingTitle, JobPosting.Location,
Application.ApplicationID, ApplicationTwoPartResponse.selectedResponse
FROM ApplicationTwoPartResponse INNER JOIN (JobPosting RIGHT JOIN
(PositionStatusHistory INNER JOIN (Application INNER JOIN [Position]
ON Application.ApplicationID =3D Position.applicationID) ON
PositionStatusHistory.positionID =3D Position.positionID) ON
JobPosting.PostingID =3D Position.postingID) ON
ApplicationTwoPartResponse.applicationID =3D Application.ApplicationID
WHERE (((PositionStatusHistory.createDate) Between [Start Date] And
[End Date]))
GROUP BY Application.LastName, Application.FirstName,
Application.MiddleName, JobPosting.PostingTitle, JobPosting.Location,
Application.ApplicationID,
ApplicationTwoPartResponse.selectedResponse,
ApplicationTwoPartResponse.questionID,
PositionStatusHistory.positionStatusID
HAVING (((ApplicationTwoPartResponse.questionID)=3D2526) AND
((PositionStatusHistory.positionStatusID)=3D5));

The issue is with the field
"ApplicationTwoPartResponse.selectedResponse" which is a text field.
In other queries the text comes out just fine, but for some reason it
just doesn't work with this query.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, I certainly appreciate it.
David
0
David
3/4/2008 4:04:09 PM
I have had this happen to me too but have not figured out why or when.

I do know that it only did it where in a name field it had the characters
like:
� n

for some reason it replaced all text in the entire record with the symbols ?
, ? , ? , ?.

Craig

<davidmflanders@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hello All,
I've created a query, but when I run the query Access replaces the
words from the table with symbols like these: ? , ? , ? , ? , etc.

Does anyone know how to make Access stop doing this and show the
actual text that I'm pulling off of the tables?

Thanks so much & sorry if this is something basic--still learning here.

0
Craig

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

Replace/modify standard data form?
Hi, I want to replace the standard data form, which is used to maintain data sets in an excel table, by a user defined form (alternatively I would like to modify the standard form). Does anybody know if/how this is possible? Thanks, Axel Axel, Going to need more information I'm afraid. Can you explain further or send an example? -- Jon Quixley ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25803 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985...

Meeting/Appointment file and/or text incluede
Hi folks, is it possible to include text and/or attachment for the organisation in Meetings and Appointments when the staff is scheduling apointments/meetings? Thanks in advanced. - Bjarni ...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

Rule
Hi How do I set up a rule to delete mail with no text in the dody of the e mail. So it will go to the deleted folder I have started to get spam (lots) with just a jpeg attachment and no text. I can't find the template in the rules section for this Thanks for any help you can give -- Wayne Manchester, England. Wayne wrote: > How do I set up a rule to delete mail with no text in the dody of the e > mail. So it will go to the deleted folder > > I have started to get spam (lots) with just a jpeg attachment and no > text. I can't find the ...

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Glacial "Find and Replace"
1) Very large workbook >30M 2) There are extensive links to approx 80 other workbooks (not possible to open all at once 3) Find and Replace of "internally referenced" formulas fine, but very slow for formulas linked to other workbook 4) Takes approx 25 minutes to make about 8,000 "Find and Replace" change 5) Sample link: ='S:\Directory\Sub-directory1\Sub-directory2\[Ottawa.xls]GuardP&L'!$B$1 6) If there is no way to speed this up, can you suggest a good novel. Stephen, Wow. Sounds like you're trying to scrub an elephant with a toothbrush!! Are the 8,...

access mail on WEB

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Link in Text box
I have text box links to data in the worksheet in 2003. When I open the file in 2007 the links do not update. How can I get 2007 to automatically update the text boxes without reestablishing the links? ...

Outlook Web Access #19

HTML to Plain Text ... NOT!
Somehow or another in MS Office Outlook 2007 (running on Vista Home Premium) I have managed to turn on a control/command the convert my HTML incoming email to Plain Text. It's the work of a second to right button it and specify "Display as HTML" but it seems so unneccessary to have to do that, more and more it seems. How do I get my received email to open in the same format as it was sent in, at least for HTML? Regards, Denzil. Tools-> Trust Center-> E-mail Security-> disable option: Read all standard mail in plain text -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coaut...

Increment "text" not number
Hi All I use this to show incremental numbers for record in a subform Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) Me.PayItemID = Nz(DMax("[PayItemID]", "tblPaymentItems", "[PayID] = " & Me.PayID)) + 1 End Sub So you get Main record ID = 123, 124, 125, etc Sub form ID = 1, 2, 3, 4 (not indexed) Concencated text box = 123 / 1, 123 / 2, 123 / 3, etc Is it possible to increment Letters (A to Z) instead of number so you would have Sub form ID = A, B, C, D Note there are never more than 15 subform records. I just think it would look better and be ea...

Rich Text Zooming
Does anyone know how when you open a rich text email you can zoom in and out....normal zoom is 100%. does anyone know where to change that or how it gets changed to 150% and if so how do i change it back to 100%???? Thank you George ...

Accounting with Ms Access