VBA Reference Libraries-Access 2003 vs 2007

I'm in the process of converting from Access 2003 to Access 2007. When I
converted my 2003 db to 2007 the VBA code would not run. I changed the
Reference libraries in 2007 to match what I had in 2003 and then the code
worked. I'm looking for some clarification on what the difference is between
my 2003 set up and the default set up for 2007. What is the difference in the
libraries?

All of the references were the same in 2003 and 2007 except for the following.

2003
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library

2007
Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3

I deleted the two references for 2007 shown above and put in the DAO 3.6 in
their place and the code works.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 07:00:19 -0700, djf <djf@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

"...would not run" is not very descriptive. Can you be more specific?
Is this perhaps a Trusted Location issue?

I don't know how "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications
Extensibility 5.3" got in there, but it is not a standard library and
not needed for most applications. I'm 99% sure your app will still
compile (Code window > Debug > Compile) if you uncheck it.
"Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library" includes
DAO (which you can see from the Object Browser when checking and
unchecking this library). My DAO code works just fine with it and I
don't have to check DAO 3.6 which is from the 2003 timeframe.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I'm in the process of converting from Access 2003 to Access 2007. When I
>converted my 2003 db to 2007 the VBA code would not run. I changed the
>Reference libraries in 2007 to match what I had in 2003 and then the code
>worked. I'm looking for some clarification on what the difference is between
>my 2003 set up and the default set up for 2007. What is the difference in the
>libraries?
>
>All of the references were the same in 2003 and 2007 except for the following.
>
>2003
>Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
>
>2007
>Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
>Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3
>
>I deleted the two references for 2007 shown above and put in the DAO 3.6 in
>their place and the code works.
0
Tom
6/4/2010 2:14:36 PM
If you're still using the MDB file format, use Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object
Library

If you use the new ACCDB file format in Access 2007, you need Microsoft
Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

"djf" <djf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the process of converting from Access 2003 to Access 2007. When I
> converted my 2003 db to 2007 the VBA code would not run. I changed the
> Reference libraries in 2007 to match what I had in 2003 and then the code
> worked. I'm looking for some clarification on what the difference is
> between
> my 2003 set up and the default set up for 2007. What is the difference in
> the
> libraries?
>
> All of the references were the same in 2003 and 2007 except for the
> following.
>
> 2003
> Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
>
> 2007
> Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
> Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3
>
> I deleted the two references for 2007 shown above and put in the DAO 3.6
> in
> their place and the code works.

0
Douglas
6/4/2010 2:33:40 PM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in

> If you're still using the MDB file format, use Microsoft DAO 3.6
> Object Library
>
> If you use the new ACCDB file format in Access 2007, you need
> Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library

I don't think this is correct. Isn't the DAO reference pointed to
the A2007 version of DAO when you run the MDB in A2007?

OK, I just tested, and I'm wrong. But I'm actually surprised since
the ADO reference is for the database engine you're using, and if
you're using A2007, you're using ACE, right?

Or is all interaction with MDBs handled by Jet 4, and not by the
ACE?

I don't have a machine with A2007 and no earlier version of Access
installed to test, but I'd be interested to see what the results are
in opening an MDB from an earlier version with the DAO 3.6
reference.

I just tested creating an MDB in A2007, and it uses DAO 3.6. I can
manually replace the DAO 3.6 reference with the new one, but it
doesn't do it by default.

Hmm. A lot of my assumptions about the ACE may be wrong...

David
6/4/2010 6:12:18 PM
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> If you're still using the MDB file format, use Microsoft DAO 3.6
>> Object Library
>>
>> If you use the new ACCDB file format in Access 2007, you need
>> Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
>
> OK, I just tested, and I'm wrong. But I'm actually surprised since
> the ADO reference is for the database engine you're using, and if
> you're using A2007, you're using ACE, right?
>
> Or is all interaction with MDBs handled by Jet 4, and not by the
> ACE?

I believe that all interactions with MDBs is handled by Jet 4, not ACE.
Thinking about it, that's probably how I would have done it to ensure
consistency with older versions.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
Co-author: Access 2010 Solutions, published by Wiley
(no e-mails, please!)

0
Douglas
6/4/2010 6:40:13 PM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in message

> I believe that all interactions with MDBs is handled by Jet 4, not ACE.

I also believe my grammar is getting attrocious now that I've finished
writing the book. <g>

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
Co-author: Access 2010 Solutions, published by Wiley
(no e-mails, please!)

0
Douglas
6/4/2010 7:51:00 PM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> If you're still using the MDB file format, use Microsoft DAO 3.6
>>> Object Library
>>>
>>> If you use the new ACCDB file format in Access 2007, you need
>>> Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
>>
>> OK, I just tested, and I'm wrong. But I'm actually surprised
>> since the ADO reference is for the database engine you're using,
>> and if you're using A2007, you're using ACE, right?
>>
>> Or is all interaction with MDBs handled by Jet 4, and not by the
>> ACE?
>
> I believe that all interactions with MDBs is handled by Jet 4, not
> ACE. Thinking about it, that's probably how I would have done it
> to ensure consistency with older versions.

It's not how they did it with any previous version of Jet, but it
does allow the abandonment of ULS in the easiest possible way.

I have to change my usual spiel on replication support, though, as
I've assumed the ACE supported it, just not for ACCDB. In light of
this, it seems likely to me that it isn't a file format issue, but
baked into the ACE.

David

Synchronise Outlook 2003

Hyperlinks that I recieve in e-mails don't work in outlook 2003
LMT <LMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Ask your question in the body of the message, not the subject. If you're using Internet Explorer, try this: click Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Reset Web Settings -- Brian Tillman "Brian Tillman" wrote Thanks Brian worked great. LMT > LMT <LMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > <nothing> > > Ask your question in the body of the message, not the subject. > > If you're using Internet Explorer, try this: click Tools>Internet > Options>...

Print, Merged Cells, and VBA

Prevent Task Publishing in Server 2003
We are running Project Server 2003 using Managed Time Periods. We're trying to simplify our time tracking requirements by only publishing certain tasks to PWA while keeping most of the tasks unpublished. We'd like to use Enterprise Resources for all of the tasks so our resource forecast information is accuarate. In other words, we don't want to use local resources for the "planning" tasks and enterprise resources for the "time tracking" tasks. Is there any practical way to prevent certain tasks from being automatically republished when our...

Outlook 2003 drops signature settings after update
We have 3 machines out of 20 that drop the settings made to Signatures/default signature for new messages/default signature for replies and forwards whenever an Office update (probably a junk mail filter update) is installed. Any idea what causes this behavior? -KK ...

Access 2007 closes without updating recordsource
Greetings: If I change the recordsource for a form using the query design grid in Access 2007, and then click on the top "X" to immediately attempt to close Access, a popup asks if I wish to save the changes to the recordset. If I select "Yes", the pop-up closes, and Access itself closes, but the changes in the recordsource are not saved. If I change the recordsoure, then close the query design window, clicking "Yes" to accept the changes to the recordsource, I return to the design view of the form. If I then click to immediately attempt to close Access, t...

VBA and Scheduled task in Outlook

ComboBox DropDown Size: Design vs Run Time?
Hi, I was wondering, what's the reason for specifying the dropdown size of a combobox at design time? I'd say it's better to make the size as large as possible to display as much rows (and columns) without falling of the screen. Olaf van der Spek wrote: > Hi, > > I was wondering, what's the reason for specifying the dropdown size of a > combobox at design time? > I'd say it's better to make the size as large as possible to display as > much rows (and columns) without falling of the screen. Sounds reasonable. Are you having some kind of issue wit...

GAL access
Anyone have a Q article or something describing how Outlook clients get the GAL in Windows 2003? Or even 2000? Thanks, Pair When you open Outlook w/ a profile configured for your Exchange server the GAL isn't visible? Please be more specific. "TwistedPair" <twistedpair@mail.com> wrote in message news:eFJIX$TrEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone have a Q article or something describing how Outlook clients get the > GAL in Windows 2003? Or even 2000? > > Thanks, > Pair > > ...

2007 search not working with Vista with new profile
It stopped working after I deleted my mail profile and started from scratch again. Who would have guessed doing that would break the search feature? I thought maybe it was indexing, but this is even after indexing has finished. Take any word from any subject line in any message and put that same word into the search box and it doesn't find the message. Using Vista with Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003. Also the desktop search no longer looks inside my emails. Any ideas? Is there a cheat to make Outlook 2007 use the old simple search feature we love/hate from Outlook 2003 and befor...

JTDS support for shared memory access
Can anyone tell me if JTDS supports shared memory access? I would like to access the DB with TCP and Named Pipe DISABLED Appreciate your replies. Thanks! From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/118_0_0_0_0_0/microsoft-public-sqlserver-server.htm Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups http://www.developmentnow.com/g/ On 2010-03-12 2:48, xbluewho wrote: > Can anyone tell me if JTDS supports shared memory access? > No, it doesn't. > I would like to access the DB with TCP and Named Pipe DISABLED > Then you're out of luck. jTDS requires at least one of those. ...

MS Access and Sql Server
Hello all, I am new to SQL server and am having some problems with Access and connecting to it. I have read so many articles but have found not one that spells it out in pure english! Hoping someone can help? OK, I just built a new machine, bought all sorts of software, and now I am ready to go. I have previously been just using MS Access 2003 / 2007 but now I want to store my tables and quarys in SQL Server. I have SQL server 2008 and 2005, I also have visual studio 2008 along with my MS access 2003 / 2007. So far I cannot get a file to connect to my SQL Server. How on earth does o...