Use VBA to design Excel report

Hello -
I've got an Access application that uses VBA to programmatically create a
series of Excel reports.  I'm having a little trouble formatting the cells
correctly.  The way you would code it in Excel isn't always working in
Access.  Does anyone know where I can find a good reference on the proper
format?  I've figured out basic font changes, but I'm having trouble with
number formats and borders.
Thanks!

Sorry, I should also include sorting.  Can't seem to get the wording correct
for that either.  Thanks again!

"Michael" wrote:

> Hello -
> I've got an Access application that uses VBA to programmatically create a
> series of Excel reports.  I'm having a little trouble formatting the cells
> correctly.  The way you would code it in Excel isn't always working in
> Access.  Does anyone know where I can find a good reference on the proper
> format?  I've figured out basic font changes, but I'm having trouble with
> number formats and borders.
> Thanks!
 It is quite easy to perform operations in Excel, and control the entire
process from Access.

Make sure you set a reference to Excel, and then run this code in an Access
module:

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit ' Use this to make sure your variables are defined
' One way to be able to use these objects throughout the Module is to
Declare them here, and not in a Sub

Private objExcel As Excel.Application
Private xlWB As Excel.Workbook
Private xlWS As Excel.Worksheet
Sub Rep()
Dim strFile As String
strFile = "C:\MyExcelWorkbook.xls"
‘Of course, this is just an example; put the actual path to your actual file
here…

' Opens Excel and makes it Visible
Set objExcel = New Excel.Application
objExcel.Visible = True

' Opens up a Workbook
Set xlWB = objExcel.Workbooks.Open(strFile)

' Sets the Workseet to the last active sheet - Better to use the commented
version and use the name of the sheet.
Set xlWS = xlWB.ActiveSheet

' Set xlWS = xlWB("Sheet1")
With xlWS ' You are now working with the Named file and the named worksheet

' Your Excel code begins here…you can record a macro and make the process
super easy!!

End With

' Close and Cleanup
xlWB.SaveAs xlSaveFile
xlWB.Close
xlapp.Quit
Set xlapp = Nothing
End Sub

--
Ryan---

"Michael" wrote:

> Sorry, I should also include sorting.  Can't seem to get the wording correct
> for that either.  Thanks again!
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Hello -
> > I've got an Access application that uses VBA to programmatically create a
> > series of Excel reports.  I'm having a little trouble formatting the cells
> > correctly.  The way you would code it in Excel isn't always working in
> > Access.  Does anyone know where I can find a good reference on the proper
> > format?  I've figured out basic font changes, but I'm having trouble with
> > number formats and borders.
> > Thanks!
Thanks Ryguy.  I've already gotten the part where I'm working with the
spreadsheet.  In fact, I'm successfully creating about 100 different
workbooks using VBA in access.  My problem is in getting the individual Excel
reports formatted the way I want.

See my code below - I have figured out column widths, text sizes, etc. But
I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly word it to change a cell's
number format(i.e. date/currency, etc), put borders around cells and do
different sorts.  Every way I try to word it I get errors.

Sample code::

With someworksheet
                    .cells(1, 1) = "some title"
                    .Name = "somename"
                    .range(.columns(1), .columns(1).end(-4161)).ColumnWidth
= 25
                    .cells(1, 1).FontSize = 8
etc......

Thanks!!!
"ryguy7272" wrote:

>  It is quite easy to perform operations in Excel, and control the entire
> process from Access.
>
> Make sure you set a reference to Excel, and then run this code in an Access
> module:
>
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit ' Use this to make sure your variables are defined
> ' One way to be able to use these objects throughout the Module is to
> Declare them here, and not in a Sub
>
> Private objExcel As Excel.Application
> Private xlWB As Excel.Workbook
> Private xlWS As Excel.Worksheet
> Sub Rep()
> Dim strFile As String
> strFile = "C:\MyExcelWorkbook.xls"
> ‘Of course, this is just an example; put the actual path to your actual file
> here…
>
> ' Opens Excel and makes it Visible
> Set objExcel = New Excel.Application
> objExcel.Visible = True
>
> ' Opens up a Workbook
> Set xlWB = objExcel.Workbooks.Open(strFile)
>
> ' Sets the Workseet to the last active sheet - Better to use the commented
> version and use the name of the sheet.
> Set xlWS = xlWB.ActiveSheet
>
> ' Set xlWS = xlWB("Sheet1")
> With xlWS ' You are now working with the Named file and the named worksheet
>
> ' Your Excel code begins here…you can record a macro and make the process
> super easy!!
>
> End With
>
> ' Close and Cleanup
> xlWB.SaveAs xlSaveFile
> xlWB.Close
> xlapp.Quit
> Set xlapp = Nothing
> End Sub
>
> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I should also include sorting.  Can't seem to get the wording correct
> > for that either.  Thanks again!
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello -
> > > I've got an Access application that uses VBA to programmatically create a
> > > series of Excel reports.  I'm having a little trouble formatting the cells
> > > correctly.  The way you would code it in Excel isn't always working in
> > > Access.  Does anyone know where I can find a good reference on the proper
> > > format?  I've figured out basic font changes, but I'm having trouble with
> > > number formats and borders.
> > > Thanks!
I just recorded this macro in Excel:
' Your Excel code begins here…you can record a macro and make the process
super easy!!
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1/29/2010"
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.NumberFormat = "[$-F800]dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy"
    Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone
    Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone
    With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft)
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
        .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .Weight = xlThick
    End With
    With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop)
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
        .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .Weight = xlThick
    End With
    With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom)
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
        .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .Weight = xlThick
    End With
    With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeRight)
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
        .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .Weight = xlThick
    End With
    Selection.Borders(xlInsideVertical).LineStyle = xlNone
    Selection.Borders(xlInsideHorizontal).LineStyle = xlNone
End With

Try that inside the code I posted before.  Read the commented lines.  That
SHOULD work for ya!  It should put a date in cell A1, change the formatting,
and place a bold boarder around the cell.  I'm trying to get up to speed with
Office 2007 now, and I am having some problems with references, so it
actually didn't work for me, but I used to use Access 2003 all the time and
that worked flawlessly for me for a very long time.  Again, record your own
macro in the section where I indicated.

--
Ryan---

"Michael" wrote:

> Thanks Ryguy.  I've already gotten the part where I'm working with the
> spreadsheet.  In fact, I'm successfully creating about 100 different
> workbooks using VBA in access.  My problem is in getting the individual Excel
> reports formatted the way I want.
>
> See my code below - I have figured out column widths, text sizes, etc. But
> I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly word it to change a cell's
> number format(i.e. date/currency, etc), put borders around cells and do
> different sorts.  Every way I try to word it I get errors.
>
> Sample code::
>
> With someworksheet
>                     .cells(1, 1) = "some title"
>                     .Name = "somename"
>                     .range(.columns(1), .columns(1).end(-4161)).ColumnWidth
> = 25
>                     .cells(1, 1).FontSize = 8
> etc......
>

> Thanks!!!
> "ryguy7272" wrote:
>
> >  It is quite easy to perform operations in Excel, and control the entire
> > process from Access.
> >
> > Make sure you set a reference to Excel, and then run this code in an Access
> > module:
> >
> > Option Compare Database
> > Option Explicit ' Use this to make sure your variables are defined
> > ' One way to be able to use these objects throughout the Module is to
> > Declare them here, and not in a Sub
> >
> > Private objExcel As Excel.Application
> > Private xlWB As Excel.Workbook
> > Private xlWS As Excel.Worksheet
> > Sub Rep()
> > Dim strFile As String
> > strFile = "C:\MyExcelWorkbook.xls"
> > ‘Of course, this is just an example; put the actual path to your actual file
> > here…
> >
> > ' Opens Excel and makes it Visible
> > Set objExcel = New Excel.Application
> > objExcel.Visible = True
> >
> > ' Opens up a Workbook
> > Set xlWB = objExcel.Workbooks.Open(strFile)
> >
> > ' Sets the Workseet to the last active sheet - Better to use the commented
> > version and use the name of the sheet.
> > Set xlWS = xlWB.ActiveSheet
> >
> > ' Set xlWS = xlWB("Sheet1")
> > With xlWS ' You are now working with the Named file and the named worksheet
> >
> > ' Your Excel code begins here…you can record a macro and make the process
> > super easy!!
> >
> > End With
> >
> > ' Close and Cleanup
> > xlWB.SaveAs xlSaveFile
> > xlWB.Close
> > xlapp.Quit
> > Set xlapp = Nothing
> > End Sub
> >
> > --
> > Ryan---
> > If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, I should also include sorting.  Can't seem to get the wording correct
> > > for that either.  Thanks again!

Maybe I am doing something wrong.  These lines do not work for me in Access.
For example I can't have any lines that start with
Range
it has to be
..range

Also Access never recognizes the border types, like xlEdgeBottom or
xlEdgeLeft.  It thinks these are variables.  I have Excel macros I've created
that would use lines like the ones you suggested.  I just can't figure out
how to word them inside Access.  Also, I can't seem to find any good
references on how to use these commands from Access.

Since I do have several different types of reports, I'd like to control all
of this from Access and not have to maintain seperate code in Excel.

Thanks so much for the info :)

"ryguy7272" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > ' Opens up a Workbook
> > > Set xlWB = objExcel.Workbooks.Open(strFile)
> > >
> > > ' Sets the Workseet to the last active sheet - Better to use the commented
> > > version and use the name of the sheet.
> > > Set xlWS = xlWB.ActiveSheet
> > >
> > > ' Set xlWS = xlWB("Sheet1")
> > > With xlWS ' You are now working with the Named file and the named worksheet
> > >
> > > ' Your Excel code begins here…you can record a macro and make the process
> > > super easy!!
> > >
> > > End With
> > >
> > > ' Close and Cleanup
> > > xlWB.SaveAs xlSaveFile
> > > xlWB.Close
> > > xlapp.Quit
> > > Set xlapp = Nothing
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ryan---
> > > If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.

You stated...'Since I do have several different types of reports, I'd like to
control all of this from Access and not have to maintain seperate code in
Excel.'

Well, that's the whole point!!

You should be able to do all of the stuff you normally do in Excel, while
inside Access.  Of, course, you have to set a reference to Excel.

IN ACCESS...Hit Alt+F11 > Tools References > Microsoft Excel xx.0 Object
Library.  Use the highest #Object Library that you have available.  Do you
use 2003 or 2007?

IN EXCEL...record a macro to do what you want.  Copy/paste the relevant code
into the area that I indicated in my initial post...
' Your Excel code begins here. . .you can record a macro and make the
process super easy!!

Give it a go and see how you get on.

--
Ryan---

"Michael" wrote:

> [...]
> > If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Ryguy.  I've already gotten the part where I'm working with the
> > > spreadsheet.  In fact, I'm successfully creating about 100 different
> > > workbooks using VBA in access.  My problem is in getting the individual Excel
> > > reports formatted the way I want.
> > >
> > > See my code below - I have figured out column widths, text sizes, etc. But
> > > I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly word it to change a cell's
> > > number format(i.e. date/currency, etc), put borders around cells and do
> > > different sorts.  Every way I try to word it I get errors.
> > >
> > > Sample code::
> > >
> > > With someworksheet
> > >                     .cells(1, 1) = "some title"
> > >                     .Name = "somename"
> > >                     .range(.columns(1), .columns(1).end(-4161)).ColumnWidth

I guess that's where I'm having problems....the code I would use inside an
Excel macro, doesn't work from inside Access.  Especially borders -
everything I try it tells me it is not supported.

"ryguy7272" wrote:

> [...]
> > >         .Weight = xlThick
> > >     End With
> > >     Selection.Borders(xlInsideVertical).LineStyle = xlNone
> > >     Selection.Borders(xlInsideHorizontal).LineStyle = xlNone
> > > End With
> > >
> > > Try that inside the code I posted before.  Read the commented lines.  That
> > > SHOULD work for ya!  It should put a date in cell A1, change the formatting,
> > > and place a bold boarder around the cell.  I'm trying to get up to speed with
> > > Office 2007 now, and I am having some problems with references, so it
> > > actually didn't work for me, but I used to use Access 2003 all the time and
> > > that worked flawlessly for me for a very long time.  Again, record your own
> > > macro in the section where I indicated.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ryan---
> > > If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.

You don't have to select ranges programmatically to effect a
format to an area of cells.  The Range object will do the
trick.  "Selection" is used to refer to what's selected in
the user interface and "Select" is used to select a range of
cells in the user interface.  Programmatically, you only
need point a Range object variable to a range of cells and
then apply the format you want to the Range object.

Below is an example.

Incidentally, I have no expertise in sorting.
It looks complicated in help.

    '   Excel objects:
    Dim objXL As Excel.Application
    Dim objWBK As Excel.Workbook
    Dim objWS As Excel.Worksheet
    Dim objRNG1 As Excel.Range
    Dim objRNG2 As Excel.Range

    '   Start Excel:
    Set objXL = New Excel.Application
    objXL.Visible = True

    '   Open the WorkBook:
    Set objWBK = objXL.Workbooks.Open(strWorkBookPath)

    '   Point to Worksheet
    Set objWS = objWBK.Worksheets(1)

    '   Point to a range:
    Set objRNG1 = objWS.Range("A1", "Z1")

    '   Put borders around each cell:
    For Each objRNG2 In objRNG1.Cells
        objRNG2.BorderAround xlContinuous, _
            xlMedium, xlColorIndexAutomatic, _
            RGB(255, 255, 255)
    Next

    '   Format the whole range:
    With objRNG1

        '   Shade each cell:
        With .Interior
            .ColorIndex = 15
            .Pattern = xlSolid
            .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        End With

        With .Font
            .Size = 12
            .Bold = True
            .FontStyle = "Arial"
        End With
        .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
        .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
    End With

    '   Format various columns in differnt
    '   number formats:

    '       General number format:
    Set objRNG1 = objWS.Columns(2)
    objRNG1.NumberFormat = "General"

    '       Currency format
    '   (positive in black, negative in red)
    Set objRNG1 = objWS.Columns(3)
    objRNG1.NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00_);[Red]($#,##0.00)"

    '       Time format:
    Set objRNG1 = objWS.Columns(4)
    objRNG1.NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"

    '   Point to top left corner:
    Set objRNG1 = objWS.Range("A1")

    '   Expand range to embrace all contiguous data:
    Set objRNG1 = objRNG1.CurrentRegion

    '   Sort data:
    '       Put cursor on the words "Sort" and
    '       "SortSpecial", press F1, and read help
    '       topics to determine which parameters to
    '       use after the words Sort and SortSpecial.
    objRNG1.Sort
    '   or:
    objRNG1.SortSpecial

Geoff

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> I guess that's where I'm having problems....the code I
> would use inside an
> Excel macro, doesn't work from inside Access.  Especially
> borders -
> everything I try it tells me it is not supported.

0
GeoffG
2/4/2010 12:30:46 AM
Thank you Geoff.  I got some ideas from this post.  Slowly but surely I'm
figuring this out.  :)

"GeoffG" wrote:

> [...]
>

>     '   Point to top left corner:
>     Set objRNG1 = objWS.Range("A1")
>
>     '   Expand range to embrace all contiguous data:
>     Set objRNG1 = objRNG1.CurrentRegion
>
>     '   Sort data:
>     '       Put cursor on the words "Sort" and
>     '       "SortSpecial", press F1, and read help
>     '       topics to determine which parameters to
>     '       use after the words Sort and SortSpecial.
>     objRNG1.Sort
>     '   or:
>     objRNG1.SortSpecial
>

> Geoff
>

> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > I guess that's where I'm having problems....the code I
> > would use inside an
> > Excel macro, doesn't work from inside Access.  Especially
> > borders -
> > everything I try it tells me it is not supported.

HELP WITH VBA
I am trying to finish writing some simple program. My problem is that when I try and change the arguement from SELECTION CHANGE to CHANGE, it doesn't work. Can someone help? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("B3").Value = 2 Then Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F3") = Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("F4").Value End Sub My second problem is that I would like my data rather than appearing in a cell, appear in a TEXT BOX. What do I do? Copying your exact same post from 3 days ago word...

Reports issue #2
Hi all, I have two different CRM setups, and I'm running through the same issue. It's impossible to generate reports from CRM. Here are the configurations : 1) Windows Server 2008 w/ CRM 4.0, and a windows server 2003 w/ SQL 2005 & Report Server 2) Windows Server 2008 w/ CRM 4.0 and SQL 2008 with Report Server Both Windows2k8 are domain controllers, and in the first setup the two servers are in the same domain. My report services are running with the network service account. When I want to get a report from CRM, I got the following message : "Reporting Error. The repor...

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

Spending by Category Report on Home Page
I have Customized my Spending by Category Report to not include Taxes and some other stuff (under the Reports tab). However, I also have the Spending by Category report show up on my Home Page. This report does not include the customizations I made under Reports, so it shows ALL categories. Anyone know how to make the Home Page report be the same as the other one? Thanks! Hi, The report on the home page is not customizeable. I believe this is rather meant to give you a general overview of your spending. Infact if you watch closely at regular intervals the all the homepage charts ...

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

E-Mail Report
I see alot of answers to E-Mailing a report, but I can't find anything to send an E-Mail with the report data being in the body of the E'mail, I don't want to send the report as an attachement. Can this be done? Thanks DS ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Problems with accessing Reports in CRM 3.0

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

cloning canned smartlist report into smartlist builder
Hi, Can anyone tell me a way to clone a smartlist report into smartlist builder (so we can build upon that?) Thanks! There is no way to do this. You will have to recreate all the canned SmartLists in SLB. I wrote a product feedback to deliver the canned SmartLists as standard XML files that can be loaded and deployed into SmartLists a while aback and you can feel free to join in and vote to add this feature. https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamics/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=360762 Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maxi...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Using secured OMA