Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL

Access 2007 on Vista

I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is
created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the
form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and
the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to
the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does
not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This
sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to
immediately update the underlying table (maybe using After Update event) for
multi-select control. Can't seem to get syntax right.

I am getting an error which totally baffles me. When I attempt to run the
following code behind a form, I am getting the following:

    Run time error '13'    Type mismatch

I have checked all data types but cannot find mismatch.

Dim sqlTaskChoices As String

'Now write/update the task selections to the underlying table "TaskHoursData"
    sqlTaskChoices = "UPDATE TaskHoursData _
    SET TaskHoursData.TaskForReport = '" _
    & Me!cboRequiredTasks _
    sqlTaskChoices = sqlTaskChoices _
    & "' WHERE TaskHoursData.JobID = " & Me!cboJobSite & ";"

    DoCmd.RunSQL (sqlTaskChoices)

I have tried replacing Me!cboRequiredTaskChoices
      with  Me!cboRequiredTaskChoices.Value
but that produces same problem.

Is my approach wrong? Any guidance for me?

Thanks as always.

Just have your code force a disk write of the current record.

To force an update, just go:

If me.dirty = true then
   me.dirty = false
end if

You can place the above right before you launch the report. In fact, even
without an multi-value column, you really did need to save the current
record to disk, as the report pulls values from the table, not the current
record in memory.

So, just place the above code right before you launch the report....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert

Update for MS Money 2005?

Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. 02-13-05
Hello all, using CRM 1.2 on a win2k3 server we get this error in the application event log: Source: MSCRMDeletionService Event ID: 5895 - Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. Category: none User: n/a Computer: our_exchange_server ooppps, I forgot, of course many thanks in advance for any tip! ...

pivot table with dynamic base data
hiya, im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table. My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the calculations. I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data anyone got any ideas how to do this? thanks loads for your help! You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html bb wrote: > hiy...

Problem with Script Updating

PivotTable page field list- limiting what a user sees
Folks, I am creating an automotive Winter & All Season Tire listing. What I would like to provide from a pivottable is, from 3 page field items a user picks; 1) Type (Winter or All Season) 2) Rim size (13,14,15,16,17 or 18 inch) 3) a list of only those tires which meet the above What I am getting now from the drop dwon lists is; 1) Type works fine 2) shows 13,14,15,16,17,18 and then repeats 13,14,15,16,17,18 3) shows all tires sizes (which is above 30 items long instead of about 4-5) Any thoughts on how this might be done with VB etc. ...

From temporary table to master table and then join this in junction table
Hello, I have imported two spreadsheets from excel to two temporary tables called "import_tbl_contract" and "import_tbl_products". I do this on daily basis and import many spreadsheets. I end up with these data: [import_tbl_contract] contract_number contract_title start_date end_date [import_tbl_products] product_number product_text price I now append these data to the following two tables: [tbl_contract] contract_id (PK) contract_title start_date end_date e.g. 1; Syringes and needles; 01-01-2010; 31-12-2010 [tbl_products] product_id ...

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Adding two fields together
Does anyone have a solution how can I manage the following: Basic setup: Custom entity with many nvarchar attributes. I created a custom view and selected a filter and the fields I want to have. (I need to export those to Excel-sheet) The problem is that lets say I have attributes A and B, which are ofcourse shown as different fields in the view. What I want is to have them in the same cell in Excel (when I do export) and not in two different columns. Is there any easy way to achieve this without touching the entity itself? (or do I have to create a custom attribute C and some java script On...

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Anyone know how to Automatically transfer CSV data to Web page forms?
How can you populate a form fields on a html web page (client side) with data from an Excel file (CSV). The web page has several text fields for input that I manually populate. I would like to transfer the data into the web form automatically from the CSV file. How can this be done? TIA Jman -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - Jman, I had some success using the SendKeys method in VBA. It wasn't a web form -- it was a terminal emulator -- but I think I did...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Multiple Pivot Tables?
Am I able to have two different pivot tables in the same worksheet? What I am doing is I made a timesheet and we have one pivot table that counts up the Service Type and sums the Time. I now want a separate pivot table that will give me the Job Number and the total time associated with that particular job. I can't seem to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! ...

Searching database for name of table or parts thereof?
Hi there, I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can be difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables for a table name or parts thereof. How can I do that? I looked for it, but could not come up with an approach. Thank you for your help. On Mar 3, 4:14=A0pm, FSPH <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can b= e > difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables f= or > a table name or parts thereof. http://databases.aspfa...

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

Determing active form to process function
I suppressed the Ctl-P shortcut by creating a ^p autokey macro that does nothing. Now I want Ctl-P to execute a function if a specific form is open and do nothing otherwise. I added a condition to the macro that if the active from is Data Entry ([Screen].[ActiveForm].[Name]="Data Entry"), it should run the function and the next command is StopMacro. The function runs correctly if the active form is Data Entry, but it returns the error "The Object you referenced in the Visual Basic Procedure as an OLE object isn't an OLE Object" if the screen the user is on is ...