Tutorials on Access Programming

Hello everyone,

Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
tutorials.

Thanks for your help,

Marcelo

You can find Access tutorials in Access itself or by using an internat search
engine.
Yes, Access can connect natively to SQl Server or also to virtually any
other database system via ODBC.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

mnmagri wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
>I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
>achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
>tutorials.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Marcelo

Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1

I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
, who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.

PieterLinden
5/5/2010 5:03:07 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at this book. Actually, I won't
be doing miracles with access, it's just something I need to learn to work
with to teach my parents using more resources in their office.

"PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> mnmagri wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
> >I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
> >achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
> >tutorials.
> >
> >Thanks for your help,
> >
> >Marcelo
>
> Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
> to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1
>

> I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
> simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
> things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
> reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
> , who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.

> .

Dorian,

Thanks for your reply. What I was trying to ask here is for some sort of
directions on better resources for working with access than trying to find
among loads of results from search engines, what I'd expect that people more
experienced than me would be able to say.

"Dorian" wrote:

> You can find Access tutorials in Access itself or by using an internat search
> engine.
> Yes, Access can connect natively to SQl Server or also to virtually any
> other database system via ODBC.
> -- Dorian
> "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> eat for a lifetime".
>

> "mnmagri" wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
> > I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
> > achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
> > tutorials.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Marcelo

The best way to start is just start.  You’ll make lots of mistakes, learn
from those mistakes, make more mistakes, learn from those, and so on and so
forth.
I think these links age excellent:

http://datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm
http://www.databasedev.co.uk/
http://www.mvps.org/access/toc.htm
http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
http://www.fontstuff.com/access/
http://www.techonthenet.com/access/
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum1_page1.html

Get a good Access VBA book too.  Finally, read old posts here.  Recreate the
problem, apply the solution (the posts with little green check marks).  I
learned quite a lot doing this!!!

Ryan--

--
Ryan---

"mnmagri" wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at this book. Actually, I won't
> be doing miracles with access, it's just something I need to learn to work
> with to teach my parents using more resources in their office.
>
> "PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com" wrote:
>
> > mnmagri wrote:
> > >Hello everyone,
> > >
> > >Could you guys please point me towards resources on access programming?
> > >I'm very interested in it, and would like to know if it is possible to
> > >achieve connectivity with SQL Server. Anyway, I'd still need the most basic
> > >tutorials.
> > >
> > >Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > >Marcelo
> >
> > Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
> > to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1
> >

> > I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
> > simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
> > things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
> > reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
> > , who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.
> >
> > --
> >
> > .

Ryan,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll give a try on those links :)

"ryguy7272" wrote:

> The best way to start is just start.  You’ll make lots of mistakes, learn
> from those mistakes, make more mistakes, learn from those, and so on and so
> forth.
> I think these links age excellent:
>
> http://datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm
> http://www.databasedev.co.uk/
> http://www.mvps.org/access/toc.htm
> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
> http://www.fontstuff.com/access/
> http://www.techonthenet.com/access/
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum1_page1.html
>
> Get a good Access VBA book too.  Finally, read old posts here.  Recreate the
> problem, apply the solution (the posts with little green check marks).  I
> learned quite a lot doing this!!!
>
> Ryan--
>

> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
>

> "mnmagri" wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at this book. Actually, I won't
> > be doing miracles with access, it's just something I need to learn to work
> > with to teach my parents using more resources in their office.

> > > Mary Chipman & Andy Baron wrote a whole book on using Access as a front end
> > > to SQL Server... it's old now, but the information still applies.
> > >
> > > http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273078764&sr=8-1
> > >

> > > I don't think using Access effectively as a front end to SQL Server is a
> > > simple question... and the book is over 800 pages, so there are a LOT of
> > > things to know/consider... don't take my word for it, though... read the
> > > reviews for yourself.  The really interesting one is Michael Kaplan's (MichKa)
> > > , who is a former Access MVP, who wrote a book on Access too.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > .

Calculating Age in Access
Hi In my database I have 2 dates in my form: Current Date and Date of Emplaoyment. I would like to calculate how many years my employees have been working for me so that I can send the appropriate congratulatory messages. How do I do this? I looked at DateDiff but couldn't figure out how to change it for my purposes. Thank you in advance for your help. forest8 wrote: >Hi > >In my database I have 2 dates in my form: Current Date and Date of >Emplaoyment. I would like to calculate how many years my employees have been >working for me so that I can ...

Access MDE 2000 to 2002
I use a Database which was created in Access 2000 and saved as an MDE file. Access 2002 will not open or convert. How can I use this file with Access 2002. I do not have the source program. Any assistance is appreciated. Access 2002 should be able to run the MDE, but if not, you're going to have to get the original MDB, convert it to Access 2002 and then create an MDE from the converted MDB. It's not possible to convert an MDE from one version to another (nor back to an MDB) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (No private e-mails, please) "DB"...

pdf thumbnail in access report
I need help getting a .pdf file to show in a report. I've used the following code for .jpg files, but have no idea what control or how to preview .pdf files. Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer) Dim sFileName As String sFileName = Me.ImageTxt See if this photo exists Returns a zero length string if file does not exist sFileName = Dir(sFileName) If Len(sFileName & vbNullString) = 0 Then Load "Not Available" Photo Me.loglinkview.Picture = "F:\NotAvailable.BMP" Else Load the matching Photo for this StudentID ...

Access and Groove
I am looking for tips on using Groove to share Access 2007 databases. I have been successful adding a file to a workspace but I have not found a reference to Access in the Groove literature yet. How well does Access play with Groove? (I know that I have to turn off blocking.) Is the best way to determine which records were changed to use an audit trail? What is the maximum Access file size that should be shared? Are there any security conflicts with Groove's encryption? Are there an synchronization issues? Comments about personal experiences will be appreciated. Thanks. LDN ...

location of MFC71*.dlls when installing a program ?
My program consists of only a single .EXE, with dependencies on MFC71*.dlls. Isn't it correct that I should install the MFC71*.dlls in the SAME directory as my .EXE, instead of installing them in WINNT/SYSTEM32 ? I believe I read that this is the 'common practice'. If this is correct, then why ? Thanks so much !! That is correct. If you put it into the system folder, you could overwrite a different version the same library causing other clients of it to stop working (although I think the current versions on Windows do not allow to copy anything into the system folder). ...

How to verify a dll file shared by multi-programs?
Hello all: I know that a dynamic-link library can be shared by multi-program,I want to verify this fact,how to do?Thanks very much. On Jul 5, 2:30 am, "Lee Tow" <f...@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote: > Hello all: > I know that a dynamic-link library can be shared by multi-program,I want > to verify this fact,how to do?Thanks very much. Dont know exactly what you are looking for. You can use the same DLL in multiple projects(compile/link). At run time the DLL will be loaded in each of these processes. --- Ajay "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote ...

How Do i Get Access tables to mail merge in Word
I am trying to link a table or the results of a query to a word report template that i can use to display all of the records of a given table. For instance, in any given quarter, we may have 5 new sumps. When I open the word template i want those 5 records to appear within the template. Then, during the next quarter, if there are 10 new records, i want to table to automatically update. That is, it will adjust to show all five records. The way the template is currently set up, I have to manually edit the tables by copying and pasting the records from the queries or tables in Access to ...

Passwords on Access
I have a shop database, is there way to restrict/ and put passwords on certain forms, As i do not want staff to see profit On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 04:09:57 -0800 (PST), Simon <S.Dickson@shos.co.uk> wrote: Yes. The simplest and not necessarily most secure way to do this is to write a few lines of code in the Form_Open event of such forms: if InputBox("What's the password?") <> "myPassword" then Cancel = True Make sure you distribute your application as a compiled version: MDE or ACCDE or ADE. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I have a shop...

Prevent size of web controls from changing after accessing databas
Hello Community In an ASP.NET using C# and SQL Server on my web pages there are different controls like labels, textboxes and dropdown boxes . The problem is that when information is entered into the controls and the data is sent to the database or retrieved from the database the size of the controls change. Sometimes the controls get smaller and sometimes the controls get bigger. Also the font sizes within the controls changes their size also. I tried setting the height of the controls in the controls properties in the aspx page but the size of the contr...

Money Plus Premium
Just installed M+ Premium on Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. I have Money 2003 installed on the old computer running Windows XP. Copied my money.mny file from Money 2003 on old computer to documents folder on Windows 7/M+ computer and started the M+ Premium program. It prompted me for password and brought up "converting file" screen. Program then stops responding. Is there a way to get my data file from Money 2003 converted to use with M+ Premium? Thanks. Bob In microsoft.public.money, bobinwa wrote: >Just installed M+ Premium on Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. I have Money 2003...

How to import .dbx files to Outlook e-mail program
When the motherboard on my computer burned the repair people were able to save all files. They created a backup disc and I successfully installed everything on my new computer with one exception. They were able to save my "saved" e-mails from my former Outlook Express program. So I have a file from their disc titled "email Folders for import" which contains 13 folders. These are dbx folders and I need help importing these into my current e-mail program which is Outlook. My new computer has Windows 7. Can someone walk me through the procedure. I, as you h...

access to pdf attachments
I have a problem with outlook express and pdf attachments. Each time I receive an e-mail with a pdf attachment, OE is telling me that it has removed access to the file as it is unsafe. The files I am getting are not unsafe, and I have Acrobat Reader installed. Can anyone help me fix this problem. Thanks. Tools->Options->Security. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.publ...

Security access
Can someone indicate what controls the 'amount' field in the 'customer payment summary inquiry' window? I implemented some restrictions and when the user clicks on amount to see the invoices which make that up, it says they don't have security priviliges. Also the button on the top right of the inquiry>inventory>item window. Open Advanced Security select the user and the company then go to the following path. By Dictionary > Microsoft Dynamics GP > Forms > Sales and make sure the user has checked the following forms: Receivables Transaction Inquiry -...

Outlook Web Access: login to certain users only
I've set up OWA but I want to restrict it's use to only a few people. How can I prevent certain users from using OWA? ------------------------------------------------------------- Dale Walker London Techno Events Saiko! dale@sorted.org london@sorted.org saiko@sorted.org London, UK london.sorted.org saiko.sorted.org What version of Exchange? Note - posting your valid e-mail address in a newsgroup post, or in your news account settings, is a surefire way to get spam and SWEN and other viruses sent to you....see http://www.mailmsg.com/S...

CBitmap causes Access Violation?
Hi, I have an application where the Document class has a CBitmap member variable. The member variable loads just fine, since I use it to draw to the view and it displays the bitmap image perfectly. However, I need to be able to alter the bitmap bits. I have a menu item which calls my derived Document's member function AlterBmp(); The function is as follows: (m_bitmap is my CBitmap object) --- void CBMPTestDoc::AlterBmp() { BITMAP bmp; m_bitmap.GetObject(sizeof(BITMAP), &bmp); BYTE* bmpBuf = (BYTE*)GlobalAlloc(GPTR, bmp.bmWidthBytes * bmp.bmHeight); m_bitmap.GetBitmapB...

Allow access to item properties when Adding Items to purchase orde
Allowing access to item properties when adding items to a purchase order would assist in updating information like aliases, etc. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx...

Programming buttons in OL2003?
Hi All, I'd like to add a couple of buttons to the toolbar in Outlook 2003 to perform a couple of specific actions. 1. I'd like a button that starts a send / receive check for a specific "send / receive group". 2. I'd like a button that opens a new email to a predefined email address. In other words, I send a lot of email to, eg, someone@somewhere.com. I'd like a button that opens the new email window with it already addressed to someone@somewhere.com. Can anyone help me achieve these two goals? Many thanks in advance! Much warmth, Murray Both goals are describ...

Mexport transfer from another program to excel opens at excel lau.
I transfered data from another program to an excel workbook, now every time I open excel, this data sheet opens as MEXPORT. How do I get rid of it? Maybe you saved that workbook into your XLStart folder. If you did move it somewhere else. If it's not in there, there's an option that allows you to open all the files in a specific folder. Tools|options|general tab "at startup, open all files in:" <xl2002+ wording> "Alternate Startup File location" <before xl2002 wording> Most people keep that box empty. DanetteS wrote: > > I transfered dat...

Audit access to public folders
I wolud want to know if there is some way of knowing that users gain access to public folders, the one who creates, reads, erases or modifies the exposed elements in public folders from the outlook and from the OWA. If this information it stores or can store in some log and if there exists some tool that do reports on this access. Thank you very much. Hi i think u can enable loging at server level on public folder instance. try out Thanks Manoj "Félix Casado García" wrote: > I wolud want to know if there is some way of knowing that users gain access to > pub...

SQL2008 and Access 2007 Data Project
I am have SQL 2008 and Microsoft office 2007. I created a adp DB that connects to a DB in SQL 2008. Everything seems fine but I can’t edit the records in the Microsoft adp database. I have full rights to the db so that is not the issue and. In fact I go into SQL and edit the records without any issues. Another odd thing is I do have a command button set up that runs a delete stored procedure in SQL and updates a table in SQL and this works fine. Has anyone ran into this problem and if so is can you point me to the solution? Thanks Andy > Has anyone ran into this...

Re: Converting Access Database From 2003 to Access 97
jixiaoli <jiaxialoli@eyou.com> wrote in message news:... > > Tim <xtimx_wildingx@yah.com> wrote in message > news:27e001c3fc97$6b59bbd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am developing applications in VB and Access. I distribute an Access 97 > database as part of the system. I have recently upgraded from using Access > XP to Access 2003 to manage the distributed database. Since I still wish to > distribute the database in Access 97 format to clients, I convert the file > from Access 2003 to Access 97 format before distribution. The distribution > database contains ...

how to gracefully close an access db on a shared folder
Hi, I have an access database that is shared by the network users. These users tend to forget to close the applications when they finish their work at the end of the day. This makes the server unable to backup the file (being open). Can someone advice me how to gracefully close the file when all users are longer using the db (even though their application might still be open)? Thanks Put a Timer on a hidden form or switchboard Sub Form_Timer() If VBA.Timer > 72000 Then ' After 8 PM Access.Application.Quit, acQuitSaveAll End If End Sub HtH Pieter "OM" <om@di...

Only friend classes can access function pointer declared in CWinApp?
I've declared a function pointer in the CWinApp derived class: class CTestDLLFunctionsApp : public CWinApp { friend class CTestDLLFunctionsView; public: << some code here >> typedef double (*tpfFatorial)(double); tpfFatorial fatorial; }; extern CTestDLLFunctionsApp theApp; And tryied to call this method in a CFormView derived class: void CTestDLLFunctionsView::OnBnClickedCalcFat() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here double nNumber; double CalcFat; nNumber = GetDlgItemInt(IDED_NUMBER); CalcFat = theApp.fatorial(nNumber); CString c...

No Word Icon in Programs Menu, yet I still have access to old docs
Very odd. For no reason I know of the Word program is missing from the "All programs: menu and my shortcut disappeared as well. When I type in "Word" in the "start search" box I get a list of my old Word docs and NOT the program icon. When I click on the Word doc it does open and seems to run normally, but right now there is no way to access the program itself from the start menu, or anywhere else. Please - any help is appreciated. Look for winword.exe in the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 where 12 is the Word version (here Word 200...

Domain Admin access to Mailboxes
Is there a way that members of the Domain/Enterprise Admins group can be restricted from not only accessing other users' mailbox folders, but also from being able to grant themselves access to those folders? Thanks! -db No. Admins can do pretty much anything they want. Enable auditing, don't let anyone have the default domain admin password, give each admin their own regular user account for everyday use, and an admin-equivalent account for occasions where it's needed. Force complex passwords and regular password changes. And, of course, hire only admins you trust. Dave B. w...