transferring data in rows of one table to columns of another table

Hi All,

We are working with FCC station data that puts some simple numeric data in
one file, arranged in a number of consecutive rows for each station. The next
station's data follows consecutively. Each group of rows that are common to a
station share an index number, while the next group uses its own separate
number.

A separate file contains the main information fields in a table of separate
rows, or records, along with a matching index number. We'd like to move the
numeric data in a group of rows that share the index # for a station, to a
series of new fields added to the record with the matching index # - a kind
of column-to-row move.

Is this something that can be automated within Access? Is so, what are the
steps (macro? VBA?)?

Thanks,
John

Examples help ... could you provide a simple set of data showing the before
and after?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"jkean" <jkean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> We are working with FCC station data that puts some simple numeric data in
> one file, arranged in a number of consecutive rows for each station. The
> next
> station's data follows consecutively. Each group of rows that are common
> to a
> station share an index number, while the next group uses its own separate
> number.
>
> A separate file contains the main information fields in a table of
> separate
> rows, or records, along with a matching index number. We'd like to move
> the
> numeric data in a group of rows that share the index # for a station, to a
> series of new fields added to the record with the matching index # - a
> kind
> of column-to-row move.
>
> Is this something that can be automated within Access? Is so, what are the
> steps (macro? VBA?)?
>
> Thanks,
> John

0
Jeff

CPropertyPage data
How is the data gathered when the last page of a CPropertySheet (wizard mode) class fires the OnWizardFinish button event? The member variables in each page appear to have valid data in them but I cannot figure out how to make use of it when the finish button is clicked. Mark F. wrote: > How is the data gathered when the last page of a CPropertySheet (wizard > mode) class fires the OnWizardFinish button event? The member variables > in each page appear to have valid data in them but I cannot figure out > how to make use of it when the finish button is clicked. The usual wa...

about transfer order

Transfering messages

Sorting data question
Hi, I have 200 rows of data in one colum, each row contains a random number but the total column value is 200. I want to sort the data into 4 approximately equal sized blocks (adding up to 50). Just a bit stuck as to where to start the filtering process if there is one that can do this? Cheers Chris ...

Data Load Performance
Running SQL 2008 SP1 I am comparing a data load into a Heap Table and a Clustered Table. The schema from each follows: CREATE TABLE dbo.HeapTable( HeapTable_UID int NOT NULL, Col1 char(25) NOT NULL, Col2 char(100), Col3 char(100), Col4 char(100), Col5 char(100)) CREATE TABLE dbo.ClusteredTable( ClusteredTable_UID int NOT NULL, Col1 char(25) NOT NULL, Col2 char(100), Col3 char(100), Col4 char(100), Col5 char(100), CONSTRAINT IX_ClusteredTable_ClusteredTable_UID_Col1 PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (ClusteredTable_UID, Col1) ) CREATE NONCLUSTER...

Listbox with huge number of rows
My app has a listbox that displays a huge number of rows (several thousand) for multi-selection. I'd like some way to position based on the first letter. Is there a good way to do this? Thanks. It may be possible to use the KeyPress event of the list box, but it sounds like a really horrid interface. Might be better to use a temp table (for the selected options), with a subform for selecting them. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "mscerti...

Exch 5.5
I have set up the IMC's Message Filtering to disable a previous employee from sending mail from his home email address in to our server. I am now being asked to block internal users with accounts on our server from sending out to this users home email address. Is there a way to block outbound email to one email address? We are running Sybari Antigen on our server but I can't see of a way to do this with that application either. ...

Import data from Access to Excel containing VB code
Hi! I am trying to import data from an Access database to an Excel spreadsheet. I have imported several queries from Access into Excel already. However the last piece of data that I am wanting to import into Excel has VB code in the query doing a calculation automatically. So when I go to Excel to import that piece of data, those queries that contain the VB code don't even show up as import-able. Is there a way to import these queries from access into my excel worksheet? I am using Access 2003 and running on an XP OS. Is it possible to do it in Excel 2007 if not available in Excel 2003? I...

HR Position Transfers

Problem inserting a column!!!
Hello all. I just accessed a worksheet which Im trying to add a column to... I highlight the column which i want the new column inserted ...and when i try to insert a column it doesnt work! A warning message comes up stating that a column cannot be inserted until blank cells are removed from the right side of the sheet or something to that effect!? Whats going on??? Thank you. -- londonchick ------------------------------------------------------------------------ londonchick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24529 View this thread: http://www.e...

Summing Data based on Its Category
I have a spread sheet that has data on buldings set up in such a way that the rows are different room types and the columns are Floor Type and Sq. Footage. At the bottom of the sheet I have a row that gives total square footage for each floor type of all the rooms combined. Right now I am using the Sum() function but I have to go through and individually select sq footages for the respective floor type. For example if 3 rooms have a cement floor I look down the sq footage column and sum the ones that have "cement" in the floor type column, and same with capret, etc. respec...

Passing RetrieveGlobals9's Connection Object from IM to another dl
I am using RetrieveGlobals9 to get a connection and successfully connecting to the database from within script events in Integration Manager. However, when I tried to pass the open connection to another (VB.Net) application from within the script, I get an error, "Class does not support automation." Is this something that I can fix by rewriting the VB.Net application, or will that always happen when I try to call an external .dll from within Integration Manager? Thanks in advance. ...

Windows Easy Transfer

Transferring an order to an invoice...

Hide embedded objects contained in row that is filtered out
When using the >Data >Autofilter a row becomes hidden but if it contained an embedded object it show in the next row that appears - bad. how can embedded objects be hidden along with the row they are embedded in? select the object(s) and use Format/Selected Object (or format autoshape...), then on the properties tab, select Move & Size with cells. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Jim2003" wrote: > When using the >Data >Autofilter a row becomes hidden but if it contained an > embedded object it show in the next row that appears - bad. > > how can embedded obje...

Data Shifting Between Records
Has anyone ever had experience with data moving from one record to another? I have a form in which I'm using the FMS rich text control ("Total Access Memo"). Several times when there has been an error (such as the user unable to print, or other error), the user finds that data in one or two of the rich text fields are actually data that had previously been saved in another record. This has happened two or three times in the past few months. And, while not a frequent problem, it is especially troubling when it happens. I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen...

table design question
I have table of 40 milion rows (sql 2005). There is one column, Id, which is integer (basically month), and there are 20 different values for this column (around 2 million rows per id value). At the same time, there is very long primary key on this table (12 columns, around 400 bytes), and nonclustered index on this primary key. Table is being accessed frequently by Id, so I created clustered index on this column (usually, developers create temporary tables per id, and then do further processing) to lower physical reads... Does this sound like a desirable design? I don't wan...

Formatting Cells/Data
Hi, I hope you are doing well. I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up on the positive #'s. Hence the t...

Cut not Copy Appended Data
In this great Macro, created by Micky (MVP), is there a way to cut and paste the data from all the columns instead of copy and paste? I just want all the appended data in Column A". Sub Tony() Application.ScreenUpdating = False LR = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count LC = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count Ind = LR + 1 For C = 2 To LC For R = 1 To LR If Cells(R, C) <> "" Then Cells(Ind, 1) = Cells(R, C) Ind = Ind + 1 End If Next Next Application.ScreenUpdati...

Filter for two columns
I have two columns Purchased Date and Depreciation Start Date. Can anyone help me to get the records with Depreciation Start Date greater than Purchased Date. Thanks Hi, sort with two conditions, highlight both columns, 1st condition Depreciation in descending order and as a 2nd condition Purchased in ascending order if this was helpful please say yes "Vadivu" wrote: > I have two columns Purchased Date and Depreciation Start Date. Can anyone > help me to get the records with Depreciation Start Date greater than > Purchased Date. > Thanks Use a helper col. As...

printing multiple copies slowly and stopping between each one
For some reason in publisher only, when I want to print multiple copies of one project, it stops between each one I print and take forever instead of printing them all at one time. This article has troubleshooting steps you can try. Pay close attention to the spooler solution. How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to print to a local printer by using Office programs in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870622 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dmscofie...

combination of stacked and clustered column
Hi! Any ways to combine two types of chars: sgtacked columns and clustered columns? B.R GmA If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Grigori Margolin wrote: > Any ways to combine two types of chars: sgtacked columns and clustered > columns? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http:...

duplicating data
I have 2 excel worksheets, both are in different formats. Both will contain the same data but spread across different parts of the worksheets. if I have filled in the data for 1 worksheet, how can i automate this data to be filled into the other worksheet? In Sheet2 use linking formulas. Sheet2 H1 formula is =Sheet1!A1 For contiguous areas these can be copied by dragging. For non-contiguous areas..........manually enter references. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:13:17 -0700 (PDT), Lynn <moley_cruz@yahoo.com.au> wrote: >I have 2 excel work...

Any one seen this BUG in Matrix Items.
Hi All, I have come across what I think is a bug in RMS Matrix Items occurring when the description of the dimensions contain a single inverted comma ('). Take this example:- Matrix Item called: Magazine ItemLookupCode: MAG Single Dimension called: Title Add any item and set the Title column to somethin like: Jason's Adventures. Save the Matrix Item. Sell the Item MAG in POS, The matrix selection screen appears - choose the Item Jason's Adventure, then crash with this error and POS Closes. "Run-time error '3001' Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of accepta...