Run query before closing database

I am using Access 2002.  I have a user who needs to do Adhoc reporting and I
want to keep her out of my tables.  I have a macro that runs on the AutoExec
to transfer the database tables from the original to a new database so she
can do whatever she wants to create reports.  I also have a SQL that will
drop all the tables when it's run.  I don't want the user to be responsible
for running this query.  I just want it to run when she closes the database.
Is this possible?  Is there something on close like the AutoExec on opening a
database?  Thanks for the help.

Ann wrote:
>I am using Access 2002.  I have a user who needs to do Adhoc reporting and I
>want to keep her out of my tables.  I have a macro that runs on the AutoExec
>to transfer the database tables from the original to a new database so she
>can do whatever she wants to create reports.  I also have a SQL that will
>drop all the tables when it's run.  I don't want the user to be responsible
>for running this query.  I just want it to run when she closes the database.
>Is this possible?  Is there something on close like the AutoExec on opening a
>database?

Use the Unload event of an always open form.  If you do not
have such a form, you can use the AutoExec macro to open a
small, invisible form when the database starts up.

BUT, there is no guarantee that the database will be closed.
E.g. power outage, pull the plug, task manager, etc.  It is
much safer to clear it all the old data tables when the mdb
starts up, right before you import the data tables.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Thanks!  As obvious as that was to put it in the beginning instead of the
end and it just didn't occur to me.  It worked great!

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> Ann wrote:
> >I am using Access 2002.  I have a user who needs to do Adhoc reporting and I
> >want to keep her out of my tables.  I have a macro that runs on the AutoExec
> >to transfer the database tables from the original to a new database so she
> >can do whatever she wants to create reports.  I also have a SQL that will
> >drop all the tables when it's run.  I don't want the user to be responsible
> >for running this query.  I just want it to run when she closes the database.
> >Is this possible?  Is there something on close like the AutoExec on opening a
> >database?
>

> Use the Unload event of an always open form.  If you do not
> have such a form, you can use the AutoExec macro to open a
> small, invisible form when the database starts up.
>
> BUT, there is no guarantee that the database will be closed.
> E.g. power outage, pull the plug, task manager, etc.  It is
> much safer to clear it all the old data tables when the mdb
> starts up, right before you import the data tables.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
> .

easy way around "not updateable query" for sums?
I have a table. I am trying to update that table based on a query. The query involved used sums. When I try to this, I get "this is not an updatable query." I know the cause for it, the fact that the query has sums. I also know the way around it. Run my query as a make table query, then build my update query from that. This project would have me doing this a couple of dozen times. I really do not want to build 24 make table queries, 24 update queries, and then have to delete those 24 tables. If nothing else, I would expect that would seriously fragment my databse,...

Yr End Close entries
After we closed the GL for the year, a prior year entry was made. Well the entry was made to a new # that was an income statement account clasiified as a balance sheet account. This entry did not close to the retained earnings. I know I can make an entry to correct the balance in the new 1st period but.......can a person reverse the original entry made to the prior year (& post), then change the classification of the account to "profit & loss" and re-entry the transaction with the account now classified as profit & loss? Just trying to understand what the system...

Need only one DLL instance to run...

run time error 10-22-03

Query Exchange/AD for users that have OWA enabled
Does anyone know if there is a query that I can run to give me a list of all user accounts that have the OWA feature enabled? We have 900 accounts, and we only allow some user "types" to have OWA access... We are running Exchange 2003 on Win2003 server, Active Directory, etc. Please forgive me if I am posting to the incorrect group (Exchange instead of AD?) Thanks. Donna ...

Automatically run macro

Excel Continuous Running Total

best database to use for multiple attendence at meetings
I need a database which lists a group attending meeteings weekly for 2 years and the date on which they attended alsoif they were overnight or day only attendees. thank you. Access will work fine. "peggysue43" wrote: > I need a database which lists a group attending meeteings weekly for 2 years > and the date on which they attended alsoif they were overnight or day only > attendees. > thank you. Peggy Sue. You've stated your need. Are we to assume that you expect "someone" to donate that database to you? Or do you want a template...

Access97 Queries connecting via ODBC to Sybase SQLanywhere backend
I have a Access97 frontend database and it links tables and queries to a Sybase SQLAnywhere backend database. I have imported all the tables from the SQLAnywhere into a Access97 database. I have changed the linked relationship in the tables section to point to the Access97 backend now and not the Sybase backend. Problem is I have SQL queries written in the Access 97 frontend that still try to access Sybase via ODBC. How do I change these queries to access the new Backend. Jamie Network Administrator If the queries were originally written using linked tables, they should still work. Ho...

What tables and database does the Knowledge Base use?
Hi, we are wanting to make Knowledge Basee articles available online for customers. From what I understand we would have to setup something manually to display SQL information on the website. So what I would need to know is what fields and databases will we be using if we do something like this? ------=_NextPart_0001_DB294826 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit "Admin Matt" <Admin.Matthew@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, we are wanting to make Knowledge Basee articles available online > for customers. From what I understand we would have to setup something ...

Get query from Access
Hello, trying to do a query. So I do the following: Data->get external data->New database query, then from the Choose Data source, I choose MS 97 ACCESS DATABASE*, then I select the database. This brings me to the QUERY wizard-Choose columns When I double click on the table/query I want, it doesn't bring the columns to choose. It changes the + sign to - sign but nothing else. I try a different database, and on this one it does work. So not sure why only on one database it works. Any suggestions? Would appreciate it. thanks, Juan ...

Money 2002 will not run

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

combo box in a query
Hi, Is it possible, do you think, to insert a combo box into the criteria section of a query? The user of the query will have a lot of units to choose from in the query and it would be easier for the user to have a drop down box to make a selection from. Can this be inserted into the query so that it appears and is functional when the query is run? If so...how would a novice go about it? Thanks, Regards, oic3120 Not directly, but you can enter a reference to a combo box as a parameter in the query. Create an unbound form with a combo box on it which lists all the possible values in o...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...

Publisher 2000 will not run
I had problems with Publisher 98 not running which we=20 never did solve so I installed office 2000 to see if=20 Publisher 2000 would function. Same problem: The flash=20 screen pops up and then disappears. No program. Microsoft=AE Publisher 2000 Version 6.0 has encountered a=20 problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the=20 inconvenience. Howard, hi again, Have you tried opening Publisher in safe mode? Publisher retains all printer information within its publications. If you can open Publisher in safe mode, either regress or update your printer and video drivers. -- Mary Sauer MS MV...

Macro automatic run at open
Is there a simple way to have a macro automatically started when a workbook is open? Thanks Francesco Francesco, use the workbook open event, like this, Private Sub Workbook_Open() MsgBox "It Works!" End Sub To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and pick View Code. This icon is at the top-left of the spreadsheet this will open the VBA editor to the thisworkbook module, then, paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook, now this will run every time you ...

Running diferent query with one command
I would like to run queries with just one botton and a date dispalyed in a form. If Sunday March 09, 2008, is dispalyed I would like to click on a button and run a query that will select emloyees that are scheduled to work on this day of the week along with other pertinent information already preselected by that query. Currenlty I am using 7 diferrent buttons to run 7 differnrent append queries but it is too confusing and I am sure there is an better way. Thanks Charles -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200803/1 Why 7 butt...

Update Query question
Hello, This seems to be a very simple update query but for some reason I am not able to get my arms around it. I have 2 fields with data as shown below and I want to update the third field with the value CC if any of records have CC in field 2 when grouped by field1. field1 field2 field3 1 CC CC 1 HS CC 2 HS HS 2 HS HS When field1 is 1 and even though field2 is HS I want to update field 3 as CC because one of the records has field1 =1 and field2 = CC Any suggestions is greatly appreciated....

Win 7 Pro running 64 bit with Outlook 2007. Problem: frequent cras
I have a brand-new computer with i-7 processors and 8 GB of RAM running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. At the time of upgrading to new computer, i upgraded office 2003 to 2007. For the first month, all was well. Suddenly, my computer started crashing regularly, as in every 30 minutes. The screen would go blank, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work, and I would have to do a hard reboot. The store where i bought the PC has done everything imaginable to try to isolate the problem. They have swapped out every component, including the RAM, motherboard, power supply, video card and all ca...

Small Database issue.
Hi, I am using a Dialog based application connected to MS-Access database via ODBC connection. When i delete one record from my dialog how do i refresh the dialog so that it does not show the deleted record anymore. You have not mentioned in which control you are listing your records. Better way is reload the records again to the dialog . Jibesh. M2 Software. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com "Sanjeev"...