I need help with SQL please

I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is:

20    Select Case grpPlan.Value
        Case 1
30        strMon = "WorkRec"
40      Case 2
50        strMon = "IntRec"
60      Case 3
70        strMon = "FinalRec"
80    End Select

After I select the one I want then the SQL is build based on the selection
and a report is generated.

strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _
                           """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _
                           """ or EmpSuper.FinalRec=""" & strMon & """"

30        stDocName = "rptTapsDueRec"
40        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , strWhere, , strMon

I know the group "strMon" is a string..

The thing is the actual fields are date fields.

What I'm trying to accomplish is when I select the group it will give a
report with the dates that are in the field. Some of the records have them.
Some do not.

When I did the debug.print strWhere it showed:
EmpSuper.WorkRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.IntRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.
FinalRec="WorkRec"

In this case the strWhere is correct. I just don't know how to write the SQL
for dates.

When I ran the report it gave me a data type mismatch.

As always, thanks for your help and thanks for reading this post.

Afrosheen

If the fields in question are date/time datatype fields, you need different
delimiters, something like (untested):

    "WHERE YourDateField = #" & [YourDateComparisonValue] & "#"

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com" <u46942@uwe> wrote in message
>I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is:
>
> 20    Select Case grpPlan.Value
>        Case 1
> 30        strMon = "WorkRec"
> 40      Case 2
> 50        strMon = "IntRec"
> 60      Case 3
> 70        strMon = "FinalRec"
> 80    End Select
>
> After I select the one I want then the SQL is build based on the selection
> and a report is generated.
>
> strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _
>                           """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _
>                           """ or EmpSuper.FinalRec=""" & strMon & """"
>
> 30        stDocName = "rptTapsDueRec"
> 40        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , strWhere, , strMon
>
> I know the group "strMon" is a string..
>
> The thing is the actual fields are date fields.
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish is when I select the group it will give a
> report with the dates that are in the field. Some of the records have
> them.
> Some do not.
>
> When I did the debug.print strWhere it showed:
> EmpSuper.WorkRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.IntRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.
> FinalRec="WorkRec"
>
> In this case the strWhere is correct. I just don't know how to write the
> SQL
> for dates.
>
> When I ran the report it gave me a data type mismatch.
>
> As always, thanks for your help and thanks for reading this post.

Jeff
2/3/2010 7:52:04 PM
Afrosheen -

If you want to use dates instead of strings, use the # delimeter instead of
the " delimeter.  So if strMon is a date variable, then your strWhere would
be built like this:

--
Daryl S

"Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is:
>
> 20    Select Case grpPlan.Value
>         Case 1
> 30        strMon = "WorkRec"
> 40      Case 2
> 50        strMon = "IntRec"
> 60      Case 3
> 70        strMon = "FinalRec"
> 80    End Select
>
> After I select the one I want then the SQL is build based on the selection
> and a report is generated.
>
> strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _
>                            """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _
>                            """ or EmpSuper.FinalRec=""" & strMon & """"
>
> 30        stDocName = "rptTapsDueRec"
> 40        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , strWhere, , strMon
>
> I know the group "strMon" is a string..
>
> The thing is the actual fields are date fields.
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish is when I select the group it will give a
> report with the dates that are in the field. Some of the records have them.
> Some do not.
>
> When I did the debug.print strWhere it showed:
> EmpSuper.WorkRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.IntRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.
> FinalRec="WorkRec"
>
> In this case the strWhere is correct. I just don't know how to write the SQL
> for dates.
>
> When I ran the report it gave me a data type mismatch.
>
> As always, thanks for your help and thanks for reading this post.

> .

<picky>
The others have given you correct answers, but be aware that they won't
necessarily work for all users.

Access is very particular about the date format. Unless you can guarantee
that your users will NEVER have anything other than mm/dd/yyyy as their
Short Date format (through Regional Settings in the Control Panel), use

"WHERE YourDateField = " & Format([YourDateComparisonValue],
"\#yyyy\-mm\-dd\#")
</picky>

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

>I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is:
>
> 20    Select Case grpPlan.Value
>        Case 1
> 30        strMon = "WorkRec"
> 40      Case 2
> 50        strMon = "IntRec"
> 60      Case 3
> 70        strMon = "FinalRec"
> 80    End Select
>
> After I select the one I want then the SQL is build based on the selection
> and a report is generated.
>
> strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _
>                           """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _
>                           """ or EmpSuper.FinalRec=""" & strMon & """"
>
> 30        stDocName = "rptTapsDueRec"
> 40        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , strWhere, , strMon
>
> I know the group "strMon" is a string..
>
> The thing is the actual fields are date fields.
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish is when I select the group it will give a
> report with the dates that are in the field. Some of the records have
> them.
> Some do not.
>
> When I did the debug.print strWhere it showed:
> EmpSuper.WorkRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.IntRec="WorkRec" or EmpSuper.
> FinalRec="WorkRec"
>
> In this case the strWhere is correct. I just don't know how to write the
> SQL
> for dates.
>
> When I ran the report it gave me a data type mismatch.
>
> As always, thanks for your help and thanks for reading this post.

Douglas
2/3/2010 8:50:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. With this:

20    Select Case grpPlan.Value
       Case 1
30        strMon = "WorkRec"
40      Case 2
50        strMon = "IntRec"
60      Case 3
70        strMon = "FinalRec"
80    End Select

The strMon I guess are strings. But in actually they are field name that I
want to use.
So. in building the SQL what I want to do is if the fields have something in
them create and run the report. Maybe I don't need the group because of the
way I started the SQL.

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
><picky>
>The others have given you correct answers, but be aware that they won't
>necessarily work for all users.
>
>Access is very particular about the date format. Unless you can guarantee
>that your users will NEVER have anything other than mm/dd/yyyy as their
>Short Date format (through Regional Settings in the Control Panel), use
>
>"WHERE YourDateField = " & Format([YourDateComparisonValue],
>"\#yyyy\-mm\-dd\#")
></picky>
>
>>I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is:
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]
>>
>> As always, thanks for your help and thanks for reading this post.

Afrosheen
2/3/2010 9:44:49 PM
What do you mean "if the fields have something in them"?

Do you possible need

strWhere = "EmpSuper." & strMon & " IS NOT NULL

--

> Thanks for the reply. With this:
>
> 20    Select Case grpPlan.Value
>       Case 1
> 30        strMon = "WorkRec"
> 40      Case 2
> 50        strMon = "IntRec"
> 60      Case 3
> 70        strMon = "FinalRec"
> 80    End Select
>
> The strMon I guess are strings. But in actually they are field name that I
> want to use.
> So. in building the SQL what I want to do is if the fields have something
> in
> them create and run the report. Maybe I don't need the group because of
> the
> way I started the SQL.
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>><picky>
>>The others have given you correct answers, but be aware that they won't
>>necessarily work for all users.
>>
>>Access is very particular about the date format. Unless you can guarantee
>>that your users will NEVER have anything other than mm/dd/yyyy as their
>>Short Date format (through Regional Settings in the Control Panel), use
>>
>>"WHERE YourDateField = " & Format([YourDateComparisonValue],
>>"\#yyyy\-mm\-dd\#")
>></picky>
>>
>>>I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is:
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]
>>>
>>> As always, thanks for your help and thanks for reading this post.

Douglas
2/4/2010 1:59:27 PM
I think you need to go back to the drawing board. Having there fields/column
in a table tells me that the table is not normalize.

Why do you need three instead of one? Create a new Field/Column, let's call
it "GroupPlan" and have it populate with a string "WorkRec" or "intRec" or
"FinalRec" or just the IDs number instead.

The you just simply create the where clause for your string (remove the
quotes if it a number).

Afrosheen wrote:
>strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _
>                           """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _
>                           """ or EmpSuper.FinalRec=""" & strMon & """"

--
Please Rate the posting if helps you.

AccessVandal
2/5/2010 1:05:22 AM
Note the error.

strWhere = "EmpSuper.GroupPlan=" & """" & strMon & """"

--
Please Rate the posting if helps you.

AccessVandal
2/5/2010 2:17:43 AM
Thanks for getting back to me AccessVandal. The idea of one field [group plan]
sounds good. The problem is that my employer need all three fields. It is set
up like this and in this order.

Work Plan  Workplan Rec    Interim     Interim Rec        Final
FinalDue
January         02/01/2010       March      04/01/2010     December
12/31/2010

I already have a "strWhere" routine like the original one posted where I can
pull the months. What I was looking for is one that would find all fields
with dates.

I think John's code may work, I just need to test it out some more. It's
based on the Workplan Rec. If there is a date then the report will show all
dates.

AccessVandal wrote:
>Note the error.
>
>strWhere = "EmpSuper.GroupPlan=" & """" & strMon & """"

Afrosheen
2/5/2010 11:24:24 AM
Hi Doug,
I tested your code and it works great. Thanks another great job.

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>What do you mean "if the fields have something in them"?
>
>Do you possible need
>
>strWhere = "EmpSuper." & strMon & " IS NOT NULL
>
>> Thanks for the reply. With this:
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 32 lines]

Afrosheen
2/5/2010 2:53:19 PM
Hope Douglas J. Steele suggestion works for you.

Here's I what think. Watch for word wrap in your browser.

1. Create a table let's call it "tblGroupPlan" with Fields "GPID" and
"GroupPlan". So you'll have something like

GPID	GroupPlan
1	WorkPlan
2	WorkPlanRec
3	Interim
4	InterimRec
5	Final
6	FinalDue

Use this to auto-populate the field of a combobox "cboGroupPlan" in the sub-
form.

2. Create a Child Table (one to many) for EmpSuper. Let's call it
"EmpSuperDetail" with Fields "EmpSuperId", "GroupPlan" and "GroupPlanDate". (
assuming you know how to create a sub-form)

Link your EmpSuper table "ID" to match the Child Table "EmpSuperId".

So you'll have data like...

EmpSuperID	GroupPlan	                     GroupPlanDate
xxx1		WorkPlan	                     January
xxx1		WorkPlanRec	     02/01/2010
xxx1		Interim		     March
xxx1		InterimRec	                     04/01/2010
xxx1		Final		     December
xxx1		FinalDue	                     12/31/2010
xxx2		so on......

You can capture the "GroupPlan" datatype as a Number or a String.

strWhere = ..... EmpSuper.SomeID = EmpSuperDetail.EmpSuperID AND
EmpSuperDetail.GroupPlan = 1  AND EmpSuperDetail.GroupPlan = 2 AND Not IsNull
(EmpSuperDetail.GroupPlanDate)  ............so on..... (assuming GroupPlan is
datatype = number)

Afrosheen wrote:
>Thanks for getting back to me AccessVandal. The idea of one field [group plan]

--
Please Rate the posting if helps you.

AccessVandal

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Please Fix the NG Microsoft!
This NG has so many posts that have nothing to do with CRM that it's getting to the point of making this NG virtually useless for CRM. Please fix this problem Microsoft so we don't have to sort through all the posts looking for the few CRM posts. -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com I agree this NG is getting cluttered again, but I'd rather have MS spend more time on getting CRM to be a workable product. In the very least they should respond more to people's issues here,......... -G "Brandon S." <bsm...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

need help badly

I need Help

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Component Transaction Entry SQL Table, Mfg
I am writing a crystal report to show all the scrap transactions, I am looking for the table that has the Document Number, Date, etc, as well as the Note Index (next to the Pick Document Number. Can anyone tell me the SQL Table that is the Component Transaction Entry Header and if the 'Note' is stored in the Sy03900 table like the other Dynamics Notes, or if Mfg has its own note table? thanks! -- Doug Manufacturing does not have its own note table......not certain best table for scrap transactions..... "Doug" wrote: > I am writing a crystal report to show all t...

Sql server2005
Am trying to install SQL service pack 2 (Kb960089) ans it wont install. I need getting error message 80070050 or error code 733 F. I keep trying to install but each time it fails. Have been tryng to update this for mths...anyone any suggestions?? -- cb "Clairebear" <Clairebear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2613E089-6832-4B08-BDDB-43487C69B4A3@microsoft.com... > Am trying to install SQL service pack 2 (Kb960089) ans it wont install. I > need getting error message 80070050 or error code 733 F. I keep trying to > install but each time...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...