Hide Select Unique Record Identifier

I'm linking to a db2 database from within access.  I can create views on the
server and then link to it from vba code just fine.

However, when I link it the "Select Unique Record Identifier" dialog box
appears for the user to resolve.   I'd like for that dialog box to not
appear, either by automatically selecting an identifier or by totally
disreguarding the box.

Any ideas on how this is done?

What is happening is that the DB2 database is probably multi-keyed and Access
needs to be told which key is the unique one (a wrong choice could give you
incorrect data selection later).

Establish the link one time, then leave the linked table in the Access
application and distribute that to users. Then they will never see the Select
Unique Record Identifier.

I would strongly discourage anyone from leaving end users to link tables
themselves. Instead, consider deploying an Access application that already
has all the links established one time, and let users run their code/queries
against the linked tables.

"Rich K" wrote:

> I'm linking to a db2 database from within access.  I can create views on the
> server and then link to it from vba code just fine.
>
> However, when I link it the "Select Unique Record Identifier" dialog box
> appears for the user to resolve.   I'd like for that dialog box to not
> appear, either by automatically selecting an identifier or by totally
> disreguarding the box.
>
> Any ideas on how this is done?
Thanks Brian,
I found a solution to the issue by strategically placing a sendkey({ESC}) in
my code.  While it would be wonderful to create a link once and forget about
it, the links are to views that will be dynamicaly created and linked from
code.  We're doing this as part of our attempt to decrease process time for
some tedious code events.

If anyone wants more information about how I implemented the solution let me
know.

"Brian" wrote:

> What is happening is that the DB2 database is probably multi-keyed and Access
> needs to be told which key is the unique one (a wrong choice could give you
> incorrect data selection later).
>
> Establish the link one time, then leave the linked table in the Access
> application and distribute that to users. Then they will never see the Select
> Unique Record Identifier.
>
> I would strongly discourage anyone from leaving end users to link tables
> themselves. Instead, consider deploying an Access application that already
> has all the links established one time, and let users run their code/queries
> against the linked tables.
>

> "Rich K" wrote:
>
> > I'm linking to a db2 database from within access.  I can create views on the
> > server and then link to it from vba code just fine.
> >
> > However, when I link it the "Select Unique Record Identifier" dialog box
> > appears for the user to resolve.   I'd like for that dialog box to not
> > appear, either by automatically selecting an identifier or by totally
> > disreguarding the box.
> >
> > Any ideas on how this is done?
Rich,

I would certainly like your solution.  I'm trying to do the exact same thing
and am up against the same problem.

Lynn

"Rich K" wrote:

> Thanks Brian,
> I found a solution to the issue by strategically placing a sendkey({ESC}) in
> my code.  While it would be wonderful to create a link once and forget about
> it, the links are to views that will be dynamicaly created and linked from
> code.  We're doing this as part of our attempt to decrease process time for
> some tedious code events.
>
> If anyone wants more information about how I implemented the solution let me
> know.
>
> "Brian" wrote:
>
> > What is happening is that the DB2 database is probably multi-keyed and Access
> > needs to be told which key is the unique one (a wrong choice could give you
> > incorrect data selection later).
> >
> > Establish the link one time, then leave the linked table in the Access
> > application and distribute that to users. Then they will never see the Select
> > Unique Record Identifier.
> >
> > I would strongly discourage anyone from leaving end users to link tables
> > themselves. Instead, consider deploying an Access application that already
> > has all the links established one time, and let users run their code/queries
> > against the linked tables.
> >

> > "Rich K" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm linking to a db2 database from within access.  I can create views on the
> > > server and then link to it from vba code just fine.
> > >
> > > However, when I link it the "Select Unique Record Identifier" dialog box
> > > appears for the user to resolve.   I'd like for that dialog box to not
> > > appear, either by automatically selecting an identifier or by totally
> > > disreguarding the box.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how this is done?

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Hiding formuals in cells question

hide my name

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

For the record: broken Money report
M+ Deluxe Advanced Reports. Account Balance with Details report, set to show Bank Information. Header says Bank Name. In other tested cases, the Financial Institution attribute reports out in this column. In the case of Loan Accounts, the Financial Institution is not shown but the Comments attribute is. Not that it's a big deal and not that they are going to fix it, but... ...

Selection Mode Stuck
I've accidentally put Excel (Office 2003, w/latest updates) into a sticky selection mode on this one spreadsheet file and I can't turn it off. I apparently hit a key combo (I think with a mouse click) and now when I open this file and single click on any cell, that cell is selected and the selection extends in both directions as I move the mouse. I can't click on any buttons, or toolbar icons, or do anything to stop this selecting mode. It just goes on and on, autoscrolling to infinity. I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill Excel, just to free up my computer. Any help wou...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

Prevent new pivot table items from being selected
I have a pivot table that contains accounts and reports sales by account. Users selected the accounts they want to see and save their spreadsheet. When new accounts are added to the accounts list, users do not want to see the new accounts. They only want to see the accounts they selected from a previous session when they refresh the pivot table. Does anyone know how to prevent the new accounts from appearing in the pivot table? Thanks! Tom, Use another column: Include, with values of Yes or No, and include it in your pivot table, showing only Yes. Then when new data is added, enter ...

Hiding a worksheet #3

Hiding plot Area

Record time by formula
hi, i want to create excel sheet wherein time has to be recorded multiple time. Now() formula does not help and i don't want to use macro. Pls Suggest ???????????????????? -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "karim" <karim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1681BB59-DBF8-475C-B577-BE76CF17E9E5@microsoft.com... > hi, > > i want to create excel sheet wherein time has to be recorded multiple > time. > Now() formula does not help and i don't want to use macro. > Pls Suggest i want to record start time and e...

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

Outlook-hiding recipients addresses
How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? Put the DL name in the BCC field and put your own address in the TO field. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without > exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? ...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...

How do I hide email addresses in outgoing mail
Hint: You post your question in the body of the post, not the Subject. Hint 2: Use the BCC field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm As posted here MANY MANY times - put them in the BCC...

Can I Hide a Field?
I'm wanting to hide a field on a form (products form in this case) for some users but not for other users. Is this possible? For example, can I hide the product cost (wholesale) of an item for the salesperson, but not for the CEO? -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com Hi Brandon, You cannot have different formlayouts for different users/Teams at this time... Regards, Michael Randrup "Brandon S." <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote in message news:e4pDiMrYDHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm ...

Hide Unhide Hide again
Hello, I'm using Excel 2003. It seems in the older versions, when I hid a column or row, it would put a little "+" tab above the labels. You could easily "click" or "unclick" ("hide" or unhide") the columns or rows. I need to be able to hid these rows or columns, but unhide them for use and then hid them again for ease of use and printing. Thank you. Hiding rows/columns and Grouping/Outline are quite different features. The little + sign occurs when you group (outline) it's not actually hiding rows Its under the DATA > GROUP AND O...

How do hide tracking changes from various users in Word 2007
I would like to hide the tracking changes in Word 2007 as a document is passed from user to user. Presently, every time a user opens the file that I have sent them, the file opens showing all the tracking changes. I would like it to Open and not show the tracking changes and just have the user do their changes. the users are getting confused by all the markups. I have tried the procedures mentioned which are: 1) Trust Center - Privacy Options 2) remove check for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" Is the procedure that I listed supposed to work? What wil...

Selective Editing of Nickname list
Anyone know if there's anyway to selectively purge or add to the *.nk2 file that is built by outlook to autocomplete e-mail addresses? I know how to start from scratch but it sure would be nice to edit the list. Thanks John K To remove a single entry, * start a new message * type the partial name you want removed * when outlook suggests a name, use the arrow keys to highlight the entry and press the delete key /neo ps - steps above are for outlook 2002/2003. "John K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1e11201c45554$28f11ac0$a601280a@phx.gb...

Hide Text box
If I have a text box on my report called [tbTax] and if the text box is showing 0 or Null , what code do I need to make it not visible? Thanks for any help....Bob Bob If you have only the textbox (and not an accompanying label), having Null in the underlying field would mean there was nothing there to show on the report. One approach to changing the visibility of the control would be to add something into the OnFormat event of the report, perhaps: tbText.Visible = Nz([tbText],0)<>0 Or you could use that Nz() function in a query underlying your report and do your conver...

hiding GAL
On an Exchange 2003/Win 2003 Server setup I need to hide the GAL from a group of users (or better yet, hide it from everyone and rely only on filtered address lists). The problem is that (i) I cannot figure out how to hide the GAL from a group and (ii) OWA needs to display filtered address lists than instead of the GAL. Any ideas? In addition to hiding the GAL you should also hide the Offline Address Book. GAL ESM->Right Click GAL->Properties->Security Tab->clear "Allow inheritable permissions"->Choose to copy exisiting permissions->Remove Everyone and Auth...

Edit Record Command
I've been doing a lot of reading and found out that an edit record command is the best option to keep users from accidentally deleting data in the form. I right-clicked in the general area of form and set all properties for edits and deletions to No. I left additions as Yes. And that works, I tried editing a field and it wouldn't allow me. The problem is the command to edit doesn't work right. I put "event procedure" on Click but I don't think I've found the right code for editing. Can someone please help me with what to do to allow editing of records ...