Help with this Event Procedure

Hi there

I currently have this code in my database but I can't seem to make it work
(i.e. no new names are added to my combo box). I don't think I have attached
the event procedure properyly either. Where should I put it?

Private Sub Coach_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)

intAnswer = MsgBox("This coach" & NewData & " is not currently in the list."
& vbCrLf & _
    "Would you like to add this coach to the list now?" _
    , vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "This coach")

If intAnswer = vbYes Then
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO CB_Coach([CB_Coach]) " & _
             "VALUES ('" & NewData & "');"
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    MsgBox "This coach has been added to the list." _
        , vbInformation, "NewData"
    Response = acDataErrAdded

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your help in advance.

On 17 mrt, 17:15, forest8 <fore...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I currently have this code in my database but I can't seem to make it wor=
> (i.e. no new names are added to my combo box). I don't think I have attac=
hed
> the event procedure properyly either. Where should I put it?
>
> Private Sub Coach_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)
>
> intAnswer =3D MsgBox("This coach" & NewData & " is not currently in the l=
ist."
> & vbCrLf & _
> =A0 =A0 "Would you like to add this coach to the list now?" _
> =A0 =A0 , vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "This coach")
>
> If intAnswer =3D vbYes Then
> =A0 =A0 strSQL =3D "INSERT INTO CB_Coach([CB_Coach]) " & _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0"VALUES ('" & NewData & "');"
> =A0 =A0 DoCmd.SetWarnings False
> =A0 =A0 DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
> =A0 =A0 DoCmd.SetWarnings True
> =A0 =A0 MsgBox "This coach has been added to the list." _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 , vbInformation, "NewData"
> =A0 =A0 Response =3D acDataErrAdded
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. =A0Thank you for your help in advan=
ce.

If this is the full code, you miss an "END":

If intAnswer =3D vbYes Then
    strSQL =3D "INSERT INTO CB_Coach([CB_Coach]) " & _
             "VALUES ('" & NewData & "');"
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    MsgBox "This coach has been added to the list." _
        , vbInformation, "NewData"
    Response =3D acDataErrAdded
End

Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com
0
XPS350
3/17/2010 4:23:07 PM
Hi -

First, you need a matching Endif for your If... - otherwise your code won't
even compile.

Secondly, after adding the record to the CB_Coach table, you need to Requery
the combobox(Coach.requery) to update the list.

You have put the code in the proper event.

John

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada

J_Goddard
3/17/2010 6:29:50 PM
Hi

There is a matching EndIf.

How do I requery the Combobox to update the list?

Thanks

"J_Goddard via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> First, you need a matching Endif for your If... - otherwise your code won't
> even compile.
>
> Secondly, after adding the record to the CB_Coach table, you need to Requery
> the combobox(Coach.requery) to update the list.
>
> You have put the code in the proper event.
>
> John
>
> forest8 wrote:
> >Hi there
> >
> >I currently have this code in my database but I can't seem to make it work
> >(i.e. no new names are added to my combo box). I don't think I have attached
> >the event procedure properyly either. Where should I put it?
> >
> >Private Sub Coach_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)
> >
> >intAnswer = MsgBox("This coach" & NewData & " is not currently in the list."
> >& vbCrLf & _
> >    "Would you like to add this coach to the list now?" _
> >    , vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "This coach")
> >
> >If intAnswer = vbYes Then
> >    strSQL = "INSERT INTO CB_Coach([CB_Coach]) " & _
> >             "VALUES ('" & NewData & "');"
> >    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
> >    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
> >    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
> >    MsgBox "This coach has been added to the list." _
> >        , vbInformation, "NewData"
> >    Response = acDataErrAdded
> >
> >Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your help in advance.
>
> --
> John Goddard
> Ottawa, ON Canada
> jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

> .

After the Response = acDataErrAdded line, put
coach.requery

John

forest8 wrote:
>Hi
>
>There is a matching EndIf.
>
>How do I requery the Combobox to update the list?
>
>Thanks
>
>> Hi -
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 32 lines]
>> >
>> >Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your help in advance.

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada
jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

J_Goddard
3/18/2010 1:43:51 PM
You should not need to requery the combobox.  The line
   Response = acDataErrAdded
should cause the requery to occur automatically.

Something else is happening here.
What is the rowsource of the combobox?
What column (number) is the bound column?
How many columns does the combobox have?

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

J_Goddard via AccessMonster.com wrote:
> After the Response = acDataErrAdded line, put
> coach.requery
>
> John
>

> forest8 wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There is a matching EndIf.
>>
>> How do I requery the Combobox to update the list?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>> Hi -
>>>
>> [quoted text clipped - 32 lines]

0
John
3/18/2010 3:03:44 PM
Hi John -

>You should not need to requery the combobox.

An interesting comment.  The reason I made the suggestion that I did was the
following, taken directly from the A2003 VB help for the notlinlist event.

"When you add an item to a bound combo box, you add a value to a field in the
underlying data source. In most cases you can't simply add one field in a new
record— depending on the structure of data in the table, you probably will
need to add one or more fields to fulfill data requirements. For instance, a
new record must include values for any fields comprising the primary key. If
you need to add items to a bound combo box dynamically, you must prompt the
user to enter data for all required fields, save the new record, and then
requery the combo box to display the new value. "

Forest8 : did you verify that a new record was in fact added to the CB_Coach
table (open the table from the database window)?

John

John Spencer wrote:
>You should not need to requery the combobox.  The line
>   Response = acDataErrAdded
>should cause the requery to occur automatically.
>
>Something else is happening here.
>What is the rowsource of the combobox?
>What column (number) is the bound column?
>How many columns does the combobox have?
>
>John Spencer
>Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
>The Hilltop Institute
>University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
>> After the Response = acDataErrAdded line, put
>> coach.requery
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>> [quoted text clipped - 32 lines]

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada
jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

J_Goddard
3/18/2010 3:22:03 PM
Hi John

No new records are added to the table.

I'm new to programming and this issue is really confusing me.

Thanks

"J_Goddard via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi John -
>
> >You should not need to requery the combobox.
>
> An interesting comment.  The reason I made the suggestion that I did was the
> following, taken directly from the A2003 VB help for the notlinlist event.
>

> "When you add an item to a bound combo box, you add a value to a field in the
> underlying data source. In most cases you can't simply add one field in a new
> record— depending on the structure of data in the table, you probably will
> need to add one or more fields to fulfill data requirements. For instance, a
> new record must include values for any fields comprising the primary key. If
> you need to add items to a bound combo box dynamically, you must prompt the
> user to enter data for all required fields, save the new record, and then
> requery the combo box to display the new value. "
>
> Forest8 : did you verify that a new record was in fact added to the CB_Coach
> table (open the table from the database window)?
>
> John
>

> John Spencer wrote:
> >You should not need to requery the combobox.  The line
> >   Response = acDataErrAdded
> >should cause the requery to occur automatically.
> >
> >Something else is happening here.
> >What is the rowsource of the combobox?
> >What column (number) is the bound column?
> >How many columns does the combobox have?
> >
> >John Spencer
> >Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> >The Hilltop Institute
> >University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >
> >> After the Response = acDataErrAdded line, put
> >> coach.requery
> >[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>
> --
> John Goddard
> Ottawa, ON Canada
> jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

> .

Hi -

I assume you do get the messages produced by msgbox?  If so, there is
probably an error in the SQL code.  Change your code to this:

Private Sub Coach_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)
on error goto Insert_Error
intAnswer = MsgBox("This coach" & NewData & " is not currently in the list."
& vbCrLf & _
   "Would you like to add this coach to the list now?" _
   , vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "This coach")

If intAnswer = vbYes Then
   strSQL = "INSERT INTO CB_Coach([CB_Coach]) " & _
            "VALUES ('" & NewData & "');"
   DoCmd.SetWarnings False
   currentdb.execute strSQL, dbfailonerror
   DoCmd.SetWarnings True
   MsgBox "This coach has been added to the list." _
       , vbInformation, "NewData"
   Response = acDataErrAdded
endif
exit sub
Insert_Error:
msgbox "The attempted insert produced the following error:" & vbcrlf & err.
description
response = acDataErrContinue
end sub

This will trap any error and tell you what the error is.

John

forest8 wrote:
>Hi John
>
>No new records are added to the table.
>
>I'm new to programming and this issue is really confusing me.
>
>Thanks
>
>> Hi John -
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 36 lines]

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada
jrgoddard at cyberus dot ca

J_Goddard
3/18/2010 6:18:28 PM
Have you inserted a breakpoint and made sure that you are executing the code,
including the INSERT? I didn't see that you did this in any of these posts.
Also are you sure that both the name of the table and the name of the field
are CB_Coach? It's a bit unusual to see the table name and field name the
same.

J_Goddard wrote:
>Hi -
>
>I assume you do get the messages produced by msgbox?  If so, there is
>probably an error in the SQL code.  Change your code to this:
>
>Private Sub Coach_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)
>on error goto Insert_Error
>intAnswer = MsgBox("This coach" & NewData & " is not currently in the list."
>& vbCrLf & _
>   "Would you like to add this coach to the list now?" _
>   , vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "This coach")
>
>If intAnswer = vbYes Then
>   strSQL = "INSERT INTO CB_Coach([CB_Coach]) " & _
>            "VALUES ('" & NewData & "');"
>   DoCmd.SetWarnings False
>   currentdb.execute strSQL, dbfailonerror
>   DoCmd.SetWarnings True
>   MsgBox "This coach has been added to the list." _
>       , vbInformation, "NewData"
>   Response = acDataErrAdded
>endif
>exit sub
>Insert_Error:
>msgbox "The attempted insert produced the following error:" & vbcrlf & err.
>description
>response = acDataErrContinue
>end sub
>
>This will trap any error and tell you what the error is.
>
>John
>
>>Hi John
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

--
Jim Burke

JimBurke
3/18/2010 6:41:50 PM
You did not supply the additional information that I requested. So it is
difficult to trouble shoot this.

For instance, the structure of the table - CB_Coach - could have something to
do with your problem.

forest8 wrote:
> Hi John
>
> No new records are added to the table.
>
> I'm new to programming and this issue is really confusing me.
>
> Thanks
0
John
3/18/2010 7:31:10 PM
Hi

I just noticed that the table is called CB_Coach and the field name is also
CB_Coach.

I've just changed the field name to be Coach.

forest

"John Spencer" wrote:

> You did not supply the additional information that I requested. So it is
> difficult to trouble shoot this.
>
> For instance, the structure of the table - CB_Coach - could have something to
> do with your problem.
>
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> forest8 wrote:
> > Hi John
> >
> > No new records are added to the table.
> >
> > I'm new to programming and this issue is really confusing me.
> >
> > Thanks
> .

Hi

It appears that the table name and field name is the same: CB_Coach.

How do I fix the code? I really don't understanding this aspect of Access.

Thanks
forest

"John Spencer" wrote:

> You did not supply the additional information that I requested. So it is
> difficult to trouble shoot this.
>
> For instance, the structure of the table - CB_Coach - could have something to
> do with your problem.
>
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> forest8 wrote:
> > Hi John
> >
> > No new records are added to the table.
> >
> > I'm new to programming and this issue is really confusing me.
> >
> > Thanks
> .

Hi

Also, the message that this coach isn't in the list does not appear at all.

I currently have the event procedure in the Not In List area of my database.

"forest8" wrote:

> Hi
>
> It appears that the table name and field name is the same: CB_Coach.
>
> How do I fix the code? I really don't understanding this aspect of Access.
>
> Thanks
> forest
>
> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
> > You did not supply the additional information that I requested. So it is
> > difficult to trouble shoot this.
> >
> > For instance, the structure of the table - CB_Coach - could have something to
> > do with your problem.
> >
> > John Spencer
> > Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> > The Hilltop Institute
> > University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >
> > forest8 wrote:
> > > Hi John
> > >
> > > No new records are added to the table.
> > >
> > > I'm new to programming and this issue is really confusing me.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > .

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.

Through reading all the responses and tweaking my code, I was able to get
this event to work.

Thank you once again!

"forest8" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Also, the message that this coach isn't in the list does not appear at all.
>
> I currently have the event procedure in the Not In List area of my database.
>

> "forest8" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > It appears that the table name and field name is the same: CB_Coach.
> >
> > How do I fix the code? I really don't understanding this aspect of Access.
> >
> > Thanks
> > forest
> >
> > "John Spencer" wrote:
> >
> > > You did not supply the additional information that I requested. So it is
> > > difficult to trouble shoot this.
> > >
> > > For instance, the structure of the table - CB_Coach - could have something to
> > > do with your problem.
> > >
> > > John Spencer
> > > Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> > > The Hilltop Institute
> > > University of Maryland Baltimore County

> > > .

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Event reminders
Hi All I have Outlook 2002 and have a bit of a problem. You know when you set a reminder for an appointment or something similar, then your reminder pops up and tells you "it's time mate" Now, this will happen as long as the outlook is open, but it won't if outlook is closed. Is there any way I can enable the reminder to sit in the sys tray and pop up when scheduled even if the outlook is closed ? I used to have Works Suite 99 before and the calendar had the reminder doing exactly that. Any help will be appreciated. Outlook needs to be open for any part of it to work...

Macro Help

How can I copy Double-Click event behavior to multiple shapes in Visio
Hi, How can I copy the double-click event behavior to many shapes in my Visio drawing? I'd rather not have to visit the ShapeSheet for each shape and paste the formula into the EventDblClick field, since I have a lot of shapes to do this to. Is there a way to do that? Thanks, Joe Either write some VBA code to set the Dbl-Click property or try Visio's ShapeStudio that comes with the SDK kit. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/com...

help me #2

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...

Help -- Help -- Help
Hi, I am having a lot of trouble with Outlook. I understand the other Microsoft programs, but for some reason I can't get Outlook. Does anyone know of any books that really breakdown the concepts of Outlook? Thank you. Donald Donald8044 wrote: > Hi, > > I am having a lot of trouble with Outlook. > > I understand the other Microsoft programs, but for some reason I > can't get Outlook. > > Does anyone know of any books that really breakdown the concepts of > Outlook? > > Thank you. > > Donald Umm what exactly do you mean - "but for some...

Drop Down Menu Help #2
Leave a blank row? How would I do that? For the drop down, I use th validation function, and it lets you list what you put in to the dro down and you have to separate it by commas. a,b,c,d, ect. How would do what you are suggesting -- mcr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1549 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27475 Then you follow Debra's suggestion. I took for granted that you were using a list contained in a named range, where ...