Stop a user from opening an already-open database

Hello!

Any way so that when the database is use, if a second user tries to
access it, they get a message that says "The database is already being
used by User_______. Please try again later" and then the database
does not open.

I don't want more than one user at a time, and I would like the 2nd
user to be able to pointpoint who the other user is so they can talk.

Thanks!

VR/Lost
0
Lostguy

One approach would be to have a table to which users write when they open
the database.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285822/ shows how to read the ldb file to
determine who's logged in, but it may not provide you with adequate
information.

The logon name refers to the Access user name. If you don't have Access
User-Level Security applied, it will show up as Admin for all users. Only
knowing the computer name probably won't help you that much.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Lostguy" <cpocpo@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Any way so that when the database is use, if a second user tries to
> access it, they get a message that says "The database is already being
> used by User_______. Please try again later" and then the database
> does not open.
>
> I don't want more than one user at a time, and I would like the 2nd
> user to be able to pointpoint who the other user is so they can talk.
>
> Thanks!
>
> VR/Lost

0
Douglas

Cannot open attachments
I'm running Office 97 and when I try to open an excel attachment in Outlook I get the error message in Excel saying "The system cannot find the file specified" I ahve gone to the options and 'Ignore other applications' is ticked, I have ran the excel.exe /unregserver and /regserver command and reticked 'Ignore other applications', but still the same problem. Any ideas would be grateful. All I can suggest is you try saving the attachments first- it could b xl can't "see" the outlook file. If you want more help you might want to try the outlo...

Opening JPG attachments
Lately I have been having problems opening attachments with jpg images. I have checked and double-checked my file associations and everything appears correct. When I attempt to open a jpg attachment, that box appears asking me if I want to open the attachment or save it to my hard disk. I don't remember that happening in the past. The jpg attachment would always open up in whatever photo program I had it defaulted to. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Direct Email Button not available for user
One of my Users does not see the Direct Email Button on any screen, including advanced find or contacts or leads. What privilege do I need to give her to SEND Direct Email (and the button to show up)?? Thanks!! ...

stops responding

Re: How do I turn off. Accent marks in an Access Database.
were is it "regan whitaker" <regan@windowsmail> wrote in message news:... > HD's pizza cafe i have never been there > "Dwight" <Dwight @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:59B978D6-E654-4CBB-BB95-9455BCF9CFC2@microsoft.com... >>I have a drop down box that locates records from the dropdown in the main >>form. >> >> This is the code that was put in via Access when I selected the MS >> options. >> >> Dim rs As Object >> >> Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clo...

Authentication needed for local user
I have configured the mailbox of test@abc.com to forward emails to an external email address test@xyz.com. The forwarding works fine, except the message sends from xyz.com. The NDR is generated: There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <ABCSERVER.abc.com #5.5.0 smtp;503 Authentication needed for local user.> I have no a clue about the issue... even though ran the SMTP log (pls see below). Could anyone kindly give me a hand? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. SC ==============...

Excel opens with an error report whenever I Boot Up my computer
A couple of days ago, I noticed that whenever I boot up my computer, an error report comes up indicating that Excel needs to close because of error. I unistalled office and the message wnet away. But when I reinstalled Office, the message came right back. Thoughts? ...

long name for logon script user
in the domain I have thousands of users, each with its logonscript, according as it will have a different user: eg "user1" has the logon script: "user.vbs normal" and "user2" has "privileged user.vbs" (both with spaces) [image: http://img521.imageshack.us/i/borame.jpg/][image: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8361/borame.jpg] If clients are Windows XP these scripts are executed, but if they are Windows Vista or Windows 7, not work. It appears that the cause are the quotes, but are necessary because the file name contains spaces. It is...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

Using User input in excel VBA
I'm supposed to make an invoice of 4 items. Each item needs to have user input for the description, price, and quantity ordered. Then I need to calculate the cost of the 4 items. Then calculate the sales tax at 6%. Then calculate the total cost including sales tax. This needs to be done using VBA code in excel. --I'm curious as to how to prompt the user to give me information. --I'm curious as to how I would use the users input in another cell once they entered it. -- I'm curious also as to how VB will know that something is entered once the user enters something into t...

NDR after user deleted.
Hi, I'm having a problem where when certain people send a meeting request to the same person in our organization, an NDR is returned as followed: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Accepted: Example Sent: 1/10/2005 7:00 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Mystery User on 1/10/2005 7:00 AM The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. <exchange.myserver.local...

Windows mail cannot be opened...
Ok I too am getting the error of Windows mail cannot be opened, (out of memory/ disk full) click ok and the 2nd popup appears.... "Windows mail couldn't be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized..... Ok have read many of the posts, so let me say this before Gary puts in his usual "It's your Antivirus" comment.... I run NIS (Norton internet security) I do manual updates and haven't in the last 2 days/ I have not down loaded and MS updates (I do those manually as well) Nothing has changed on my PC, yet today I started getting the same err...

Excel
When starting excel, the program now opens or attempts to open every file in the directory. What causes this & how can I correct it? Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and see what directory is defined for 'at startup open all files in...' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany 173abn wrote: > When starting excel, the program now opens or attempts to open every > file in the directory. What causes this & how can I correct it? Can you get Excel to complete opening or does it just crash when it runs out of resources? If it will open................ ...

trying to add database control to silverlight vb project
hi I downloaded microsoft visual developer 2010 and created a silverlight vb project. I am able to use Tool -> Connect to database, and see my tables. When I try to add a new data source I only see two types object and service. I dont see SqlDataSource or GridView controls. How do I connect to a database in Visual Web Developer 2010? Any one know what I am missing? ...

Currently logged on user
Does anyone know how a process running as "SYSTEM" can get the username of the currently logged on user??? Cheers Peter There can be several "logged on" users. Which one you want? "Peter McCarthy" <NotARealEmail@noWhere.com> wrote in message news:2Fivc.1170$Z14.1252@news.indigo.ie... > Does anyone know how a process running as "SYSTEM" can get the username of > the currently logged on user??? > > Cheers > Peter > > This assumes there is only one such user. My machine has several separate users logged on, and I don't...

Trigger Macro on Open Spreadsheet
How can we force a macro to execute whenever a spreadsheet is first opened? Hi do you mean the file? If yes either name your macro Auto_Open() or put your code in the workbook event Workbook_Open() -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Beckie Davis wrote: > How can we force a macro to execute whenever a spreadsheet > is first opened? ...

recipient policy stopped working

OWA for everyone on the LAN and limited users from the internet.
We have an Exchange Enterprise 2003 on Windows 2003. We also have a front end Exchange 20003 on W2k3 server in our DMZ. We limit the users that can access OWA. This is to circumvent labor issues of working from home, union contract, security, etc... This works fine. Selected users can web browse from the internet and from within our LAN. Management would like to open up OWA for everyone from within the LAN, but still restrict most users from the internet. Can this be done with the current configuration? Do you need another Exchange server for a front end server with the LAN? Thanks Hi...

Open Value Licensing
Hi, If CRM SBE edition is available under Open Value. I believe , yes , I wish to know the process of procuring CRM SBE licenses and payment stage. Thanks in advance. Regards, Nitin You need to contact a Microsoft partner who can purchase the licenses for you and make sure you get the right product. I happen to know of one that can help you ;) -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Nitin I" wrote: > > Hi, > > If CRM SBE edition is available under Open Value. I believe , yes , I wish > to know the process of procuring CRM SBE licenses and paymen...

Outlook 2003, can not open email messages after upgrade.
I have an XP Pro workstation with Office XP that I upgraded to Office 2003. When the upgrade was complete and Outlook is opened, none of the email messages will open when double clicked. Also nothing shows in the reading pane when you select a message. The error I receive suggests that Windows is out of memory and that I should close programs and then try again. The PC has 512MB of RAM and no other programs are open. This behavior occurs even if I uninstall Office XP first and then cleanly install 2003. Updating the installation with the latest patches does nothing to fix thi...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...