Showing the actual database, not access's idea of it...

I've been working with MS Access for the past few weeks.  A friend has a side
job working for a summer camp and he needed a database to store all the kids
information.  Using VBA is not going to happen, I thought I could do what he
needed much much easier in visual studios.net 2008 and I probably could have
if that department of Microsoft didn't do what appears as drastic as disown
the MS Access department.  After much work I am able to read/replace and edit
the data, but through the whole process I started noticing this.

First, in Access the ID(auto number) is listed correct, 1 - whatever.  But
when I look at the data through a datagrid in a vb.net program it does
something odd.  The numbers don't go in correct order.  it might be 1-11,
then 25-201 then 12 through 19 and then 202 through the end.  This hasn't
been a problem and it hasn't effected my program in anyway, just something I
thought was weird.

Another puzzle started just the other day, which is what brings me here now.
 The person doing the data entry part of this project is on and off using my
program to enter data, and using ms access.  Mainly because of bugs that pop
up in the code that need to be hammered out.  While filling in info with in
access, he moved 2 fields to have an easier flow.  Well, these 2 fields were
the 2 fields used to pull info between that and another database and I knew
it was going to cause problems with my code.  But it didn't.  When I look at
the DB with in vb.net it moves the fields to the location they need to be,
data and all, but with in access its moved to the new location.

So here is my question.  What is the true representation of my database?  I
know access is probably doing some sort functions which keep the ID's in
order, but even clicking the "remove all sorts" button does nothing.  And why
are fields in different locations depending on what I'm using to look at
them?  Whats their true locations?  How do I make Access display the database
as it is, not how it believes it is, if that is even the problem I'm having
at all.

One other question, how do you re-assign ID numbers?  add five records,
remove the first and "1" is gone forever.

I'm sorry for the length of this question.  I have this funny feeling that
this is a DOH moment.  That I'm over looking something.  I'm sure that this
exact problem has been asked and solved many times over, but I don't even
know what to look for.  What is this problem I am having?  So thanks for
reading it all, and thanks for any help offered!

Nick

Access has an Autonumber datatype that uniquely identifies a table row.  If
you delete the record with ID=1 (and it's an Autonumber), you WANT #1 gone
forever!  Otherwise, if you had ANY other tables that used that value as a
foreign key (oh, say, table1 is the kid into and table2 has purchases at the
store), then deleting KidID=1 means you orphan all those purchase records in
table2!).

If the user moved the fields around, but you still can see them, what does
it matter?  Access tables are, loosely thinking, buckets o' data.  There's
no inherent (or humanly perceptible) order, but you can put data in and get
data out.  So again, what does it matter?

Are you interested for scientific reasons, prurient interest, or out of
concern?

More info, please...

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> why
> are fields in different locations depending on what I'm using to look at
> them?  Whats their true locations?  How do I make Access display the
> database
> as it is, not how it believes it is, if that is even the problem I'm
> having
> at all.
>
> One other question, how do you re-assign ID numbers?  add five records,
> remove the first and "1" is gone forever.
>
> I'm sorry for the length of this question.  I have this funny feeling that
> this is a DOH moment.  That I'm over looking something.  I'm sure that
> this
> exact problem has been asked and solved many times over, but I don't even
> know what to look for.  What is this problem I am having?  So thanks for
> reading it all, and thanks for any help offered!

0
Jeff
3/16/2010 9:22:51 PM
Nick,

I believe what you are eluding to is how is the data stored in tables.
Well, the tables are like buckets of water...  pour in new water and it just
mixes with the old water becoming impossible to separate and all mixed up.
The tables just hold data, the order of the fields and the records is
irrelevant.  If you want some order to them use queries bound to forms.  The
same holds true for the forms, it doesn't matter where you place the field
on the form... the table could care less.

The tables are just buckets of water, you want order... make ice cubes (use
queries).

As for the Autonumber ID field... that's just there to uniquely identify the
record (Primary Key or, as some would call it, Unique Key) to be used for
any number of reasons *except* numbering the records, as they will skip.  If
you care about the order of the records or the value you can either use a
Natural Key or DMax(), depending on what you are looking for.  You cannot
renumber the Autonumber ID field, since you care about that number you might
want to consider using DMax().

As for sorting, don't waste your time sorting a table... as mentioned prior
this needs to be done in a query.  You can sort the table then remove the
sort but that will be overwritten by sorts you do in queries and on forms.
But if there is nothing sorted or anything filtered, clicking the Remove
Sort or Filter button will do nothing.  You would actually have to apply a
Sort or Filter to see that button do anything.

All of the above is nothing new for Access, it has always treated tables and
Autonumber fields the same way.  So I don't understand your question, "What
is the true representation of my database?".

Since you're not an Access person, I'm going to suggest some reading...
Might be overkill but you might find some additional answers...

Jeff Conrad's resources page...
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page...
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

A free tutorial written by Crystal (MS Access MVP)...
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials...
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

Sample data models...
http://www.databasedev.co.uk/table-of-contents.html

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

Gina
3/16/2010 9:52:11 PM
You type faster then I do...

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD-HYPHEN-TO-END> wrote in message
> [...]

> why
> are fields in different locations depending on what I'm using to look at
> them?  Whats their true locations?  How do I make Access display the
> database
> as it is, not how it believes it is, if that is even the problem I'm
> having
> at all.
>
> One other question, how do you re-assign ID numbers?  add five records,
> remove the first and "1" is gone forever.
>
> I'm sorry for the length of this question.  I have this funny feeling that
> this is a DOH moment.  That I'm over looking something.  I'm sure that
> this
> exact problem has been asked and solved many times over, but I don't even
> know what to look for.  What is this problem I am having?  So thanks for
> reading it all, and thanks for any help offered!

3/16/2010 9:53:52 PM
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:12:02 -0700, Nick <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>So here is my question.  What is the true representation of my database?  I
>know access is probably doing some sort functions which keep the ID's in
>order, but even clicking the "remove all sorts" button does nothing.  And why
>are fields in different locations depending on what I'm using to look at
>them?  Whats their true locations?  How do I make Access display the database
>as it is, not how it believes it is, if that is even the problem I'm having
>at all.
>
>One other question, how do you re-assign ID numbers?  add five records,
>remove the first and "1" is gone forever.

Two very common misconceptions here:

1. A Table HAS NO ORDER. Access will store the records on disk in any order it
finds convenient. This order might even change, say if you compact the
database. If you want to see records in a particular order, you must - no
option! - use a Query sorting the records by some field or fields in the
table.

2. An Autonumber HAS NO MEANING. It's not guaranteed to be sequential; it's
not guaranteed to be free of gaps; it's not a "record number". ALL it is is a
meaningless unique identifier for the record. Once an autonumber is assigned
in a table, that value gets "used up" and won't be used again - and it gets
used up even if you just start to enter a new record and cancel the addition
after the first keystroke.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Outlook shows offline during dial up
Having a problem with outlook 2002. Over the WAN everything works fine. Dial up and connect to the network (VPN) internet work fine. Outlook will sync up however, a red x shows up in the bottom right hand corner. Outlook shows offline, I can send and receive but must hit send and receive. I have reloaded the computer from scratch and still have the same problem. Could it be a Excange setting? Any Ideas? Thanks for the help, If you hit File | Connect to Exchange Server what happens? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize ...

Access Coding from 2003 to 2007
Is there an easy way to find conversion code from Access 2003 to Access 2007 we are currently in the conversion process but not all of our coding is working how we need it to. They all worked in 2003 properly. What's not working? It should be relatively straightforward if you have used only the core libraries (VBA, Access, and DAO), your database is in a trusted location, and you are not too tied to menus/toolbars Generic conversion info: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - ht...

analytical accounting lookups should only show valid codes
When entering AA transaction distributions, the code lookup window should only show valid code combinations. It's not intuitive for the user to have to select a code and get an error message to discover which codes are valid. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

Show Window
I am currently developing a MFC SDI application. I want to integrate a tray icon with it. When the application is minimized it hides by ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) and then when double clicked on tray icon shown by ShowWindow(SW_SHOWNORMAL). But the problem is if some other application is activated after my application is minimized, ShowWindow shows it but it's behind some screen. I have tried with SetFocus didn't work. Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Varuna Try BringWindowToTop. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to Ajay's idea you can also use SetFor...

Information Stores show dismounted yet mail is still flowing...
Background: Windows AD Mixed moded. Exchange 2003 installed on to a 2 node Microsoft cluster. 1 Front End server...connecting to the primary cluster node. Windows 2003 Standard on, FE Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on BEs (<---cluster) no service packs on either. Exchange has SP1 installed on both nodes and the FE. There are still Exchange 5.5 servers in the environment although they are not being used. The Issue: .....the information stores and public folders all show that they are dismounted...yet email is still flowing into and out of the server without any issues. I just...

reminder still shows up
when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am running Vista "Toppro" <Toppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AE8DBF7-6BE3-454A-82F9-5A040566026C@microsoft.com... > when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am > running > Vista Outlook version? The Windows version isn't as important and that of Outlook. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Word Table to Access
Hi, I was wondering if expert can give me some lite to convert my word table into access database. Note: within each cell of my word table(s), some has multi-line data in it. In addition, there is one row containing picture(s) as well. So far, what I did is doing it manually for each word docs I have. Select Table Convert Table to Text(I use ^ character for delimiter) Save it to a text file(with char substitution, and CR/LF) Then, Load them to Access DB. Is there an easier way to do this? I'd love to see it done easily in windows. What you can do is to save your word doc to text wi...

Using ajax call to fetch multiple results from multiple queries and showing them 1 by 1 as the results comes.
Hello, I've 20 labels in a 2x10 table on a page. for each label, data comes by individual queries. (total 20 queries for the page.) and it takes about 30-40 seconds for the page to load, and it's not comfortable for the user to see blank page. I want that each cell will show loading.gif images. As and when data comes from query, the images should go visible=false, and the label should display the values one by one. How do I do this task using ajax? Some ASP.NET code example will be helpful for me, as I'm a kind of beginner. Thanks ...

Results show as a minus. WHY?
I have an application that was developed by another developer using VB.net which reside in a SQL table. I need to use some of the data from this table, however the data shows as -0.5 or - 0.99 or -1.70 etc in my Access tables. How can I get those numbers to show as a percentage with only one decimal point to the left? Example: 3.6% or 31.4 %. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No matter what I do it shows that dang "-" at the beginning. You can use the Abs function to strip off the negative Abs([YourTable].[YourField]) And you can format that as percentage either using th...

Unable to access Customize Outlook Today
Our company has been using Outlook 2000 for a while on Win 2000 workstations with a Win 2000 server. Just recently, some of us can no longer access the Customize Outlook Today area. You can click on the button but nothing happens. Any ideas? Refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 820575--This fix worked for us. >-----Original Message----- >Our company has been using Outlook 2000 for a while on Win >2000 workstations with a Win 2000 server. Just recently, >some of us can no longer access the Customize Outlook >Today area. You can click on the button but nothing &g...

Does Access work properly under Vir PC?
Hi Can you develop access db's under Vir PC? I could not use it with my old ver of Vir PC MS Access works fine (although slowly) in virtual PC. -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread. Thanks. About Microsoft MVPs: http://www.mvps.org/ Search for help with the free Google search Excel add-in: <http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm> ---------- In article <047501c3cee4$fbf13460$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "Tom" <gamedayphoto@yahoo.com> wrote: > > Hi > Can you develop access db's under Vir PC? > I could...

Device hangs when accessing San Disk U3 USB device
Hello, We have two platforms both running CE 6.0 with QFEs up to 8/31/09. One is an ARM based and one is an x86 based (ICOP board). When we plug in and access this Sand Disk device that has this U3 feature (it runs some stuff when plugged in to a desktop and mounts CD ROM emulation or somthing) it will work just fine on the ARM based device. On the x86 though the process who acessed the device will hang until you unplug it. The device seems to mount, the folder for the device is visible. But as soon as you ask for the file listing it will hang until unplugged. Any advice is h...

Running Access 200 database on Access 2003
I have developed a database in Access 2000, which contains a standard Switchboard. On transporting it to an Access 2003 environment, clicking any button on the switchboard generates an error message indicating that Access cannot find the expression 'on click'. Can anyone help, please? ...

show comments when cell is highlighted Vs when cursor runs over? #2
How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it "automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't think this is what you're asking. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Don" wrote: > How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to > when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? To at least Excel 2000, if you have the Tools, Options, Comment Indicator Only you will see the co...

I need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that begin with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the numbers I type to begin with zero. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help. Best regards, Dee use a custom format with how ever many digits you need, 000000 -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA60FC8A-C7CB-432A-B2B2-EEEBF86D2646@microsoft.com... >...

Report Server shows 'Service Unavailable'
Hi, before install, the SRS setup, send me a warning, some like "the Windows Sharepoint Services are install and not permit initialize a Reportserver component" i skip wiht the installation, so.. I can't run http://<localhost>/Reports and http://<localhost>ReportServer show a message "Service Unavailabe", but the ReportServer service is running How initialize that or what do i do? ------=_NextPart_0001_09E699C9 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <Miguel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > before install, the SRS set...

Comments not showing
When a SharePoint workflow is edited and a comment is added. The comment does not display in the workflow status screen under workflow history. It shows as follows: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Instead of: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Please update to the new company logo. This happens for all standard SharePoint workflows (Approval, Collect Feedback). Any custom workflows does show the comment. The comment field is update in the task item. It just does not show. There is no error in t...

Show more time in weekly view?
Outlook 2007 On default the weekly view is only showing until 4 PM without scrolling down. I know there is a way to let you see into the evening hours also without scrolling. Help please. Thanks... Bob ...

Clear Data>Security Resource Description table not showing in list
GPv10 Logged in as sa. Go to Maint. >Clear Data>System and in the Tables list the Security Resource Description table is not there. Is there something I need to do to get access to that table? Thanks. Gi Never mind....I figured it out. You have to change the Display to Physical....Duh!! ...

mail box rights it only shows "SELF"
Once the user has been created, checking the Email address tab show nothing (empty), I pointing rus to the right DC, this solve that problem, but i have still have the next problem: under the mail box rights it only shows "SELF" where as all the other account show 8 or more system users? exchange 2003 Gr, Marco On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:10:27 -0800, "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Once the user has been created, checking the Email address tab show nothing >(empty), I pointing rus to the right DC, this solve that problem, but i have >...

Showing a Null result
I have a parent table linked to several child tables via a unique text string The report shows reults from the main table, and has subreports for the child tables. Some records in the parent table have no equivalents in the child tables. Can I insert some code to produce the subreports with a "None" or "NA" text string, without populating the child tables with these terms? My problem is that, I need to run "counting" queries on the child tables, but the "N/A" records skew the numbers by adding records where there should be none. I'm not su...

Disc access when scrolling through my emails
Hi, I have a problem with my outlook 2003 (Win XP): Every time I scroll through the list of emails outlook accesses the hard disc even if I do not open the email and the preview window is deactivated. The result is a pause before I can go to the next email in the list. Surprisingly the problem is solved if I open the email and close it. Next time I navigate to that email in the list there is no disc access (seems to be cached). Unfortunatly if I close Outlook an reopen it, the whole story starts from the beginning... Does anybody have an idea ? Thanks Urs ...

TransparentBlt doesn't show the bitmap in ME?
The following doesn't print the bitmap on ME while it works on 2k/xp, can someone help me? Though the status returns TRUE. Thanks. Jiac. CDC *hdc, bghdc; CBitmap bgBitmap; BITMAP bmpInfo; //loads bitmap into memory bgBitmap.LoadBitmap(IDB_BITMAP5); // this bitmap has no needles // get bitmap info bgBitmap.GetBitmap(&bmpInfo); hdc = m_obj->GetDC(); bghdc.CreateCompatibleDC(hdc); bghdc.SelectObject(&bgBitmap); BOOL status = hdc->TransparentBlt(0, 0, 80, 80, &bghdc, 0, 0, 80, 80, TRANSPARENT_KEY_COLOR); //TRANSPARENT_KEY_COLOR if (st...

Show Data Field After Hiding
I found a note from someone with the same question regarding reshowing data that was hidden after it was deselected from the drop-down list. And yes, it is easy enough to drag it back on from the field list, but if it involves anything more than just a sum or count, then you have to recreate it. For instance, my rows are years. One of my data fields I would like in the table twice - once as a sum and then again as % difference from previous year. The reason for wanting to hide one or the other, is I'm plotting this over time and would like to use the same chart. Since the scales are ob...