Linked Tables Twice?

Hi all

Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
2003 and 2007.
I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
the original backend.
Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
linked tables in the old back end.
Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?

TIA

Phil

0
TheScullster

TheScullster wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
>2003 and 2007.
>I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
>the original backend.
>Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
>backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
>Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
>linked tables in the old back end.
>Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>
>TIA
>
>Phil

You mean you want to link to a database that has no tables in it, only links
to tables?  I don't know if that would even work... and even if it did, why
would you even want to do something like that?  Is this a security by
obscurity thing?  Those are seldom a good idea.

PieterLinden
3/5/2010 4:15:37 PM
As far as I know, you can't set up a link to a linked table.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com wrote:
> TheScullster wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
>> 2003 and 2007.
>> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
>> the original backend.
>> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
>> backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
>> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
>> linked tables in the old back end.
>> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Phil
>
> You mean you want to link to a database that has no tables in it, only links
> to tables?  I don't know if that would even work... and even if it did, why
> would you even want to do something like that?  Is this a security by
> obscurity thing?  Those are seldom a good idea.

0
John
3/5/2010 4:47:43 PM
Phil

Define "disturbing" ...

Why not simply create your new front-end and link to the tables you need to
see?

What is it that you're concerned about happening?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"TheScullster" <phil@dropthespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on
> access 2003 and 2007.
> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
> the original backend.
> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating
> another backend database with the original tables linked to the new
> backend.
> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
> linked tables in the old back end.
> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>
> TIA
>
> Phil

0
Jeff
3/5/2010 5:17:33 PM
"TheScullster" <phil@dropthespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on
> access 2003 and 2007.
> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
> the original backend.
> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating
> another backend database with the original tables linked to the new
> backend.
> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
> linked tables in the old back end.
> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?

You can have a front-end with some of its tables linked to the old back-end,
and some of them linked to the new back-end.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
3/7/2010 9:16:19 PM
"Dirk Goldgar" wrote

> You can have a front-end with some of its tables linked to the old
> back-end, and some of them linked to the new back-end.
>
> --
Thanks Dirk

It's a while since I did anything with Access so the fog is taking a while
to clear.
Yes, the solution you suggest fits with what I am trying to achieve.

Phil

0
TheScullster

How to Link list Box with Form 03-15-08
Greeting, I have a form for entering and search for info. In this form there are text box for search and listbox for showing search results. What I want to do is once search results appear, the user will dbl click on the results he wants and the form fields show the details of that item. I put the following sql in the form control source : SELECT utilizing.* FROM utilizing; And the following sql for list box SELECT utilizing.idn, utilizing.founame, utilizing.proname, utilizing.utilizdate, utilizing.lumpvalue, utilizing.notes FROM utilizing WHERE (((utilizing.founame) Like "*"...

Unable to bring back all results from table with query
For a uni assignment we have a designated query that we have to create. But when I run the query, I get one result returned to me. I should have two returned to me, as I have two records in the Problem table. The SQL is:- SELECT Problem.[Problem Number], User.[User ID], User.[User Name], User.[Job Title], User.Email, User.[Telephone No], Asset.[Asset Code No], Problem.[Problem Description], Problem.[Current Activity Log], Problem.[Solution Description] FROM [User] INNER JOIN ((Asset INNER JOIN Problem ON Asset.[Asset Code No] = Problem.[Asset Code No]) INNER JOIN [Contact Log]...

#DIV?0! in Pivot Table
Sorry for the re-post, forgot to ask the question. I create Pivot Tables that use calced fields. Sometimes the calced fields divide zero by zero which results in #DIV/0! showing up in the RowTotals and TotalTotals. I can use the Table Options For Error Value Show (blank), which removes the #Div/0! from the table display, the only problem with doing this is the TotalTotal cells also show up as blank. Here's my code for creating the calced field. ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable2").CalculatedFields.Add "Weighted Avg Price", _ "=rev / PosSold&q...

Trying to collapse a table, what Function should I use?
I have a table of data (numbers) which is 70 rows by 21 columns, which I would like to summarize into a 5 x 3 table. So every 14 rows by 7 columns sums into a single cell on another worksheet. My original table would be like 1 2 3 ... 20 21 1 2 .... 69 70 and my summary table would be 01-07 08-14 15-21 01-14 A B C 15-28 D E F 29-42 G H I 43-56 J K L 57-70 M N O where A = sum of all numbers in the intersection of rows 1-14 and columns 1-7 where O = sum of all numbers...

How the heck do I find tables, views, forms etc... in Access 2007
Can Access 2007 navigation be any more convoluted? I've been spending close to an hour trying to find a single table, query form, etc... now that the navigation has been changed. Is there a way to get the old style back? It does take some time - more than an hour :-) - to become familiar with the new interface in A2007 (NavPane, ribbon, ...) Suggestions: - The title bar at the top of the Nav Pane includes a tick box for: All Access Objects - Set Category to: Object Type - The categories (Tables, Queries, ...) collapse. - Show and use the Search Bar. It filters objects as...

How do u link the birthday of the contacts to "one" certain calendar?
I want to have a separate calendar just for the birthdays of all the contacts. But when it asks me "do u want to add as an event to the calendar?" I click yes, it'll show up too all the calendars. is there a way to link it to ONE of my choice? thanks In news:1156289723.533387.100170@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, MuNcHkiN <dyiu619@gmail.com> typed: > I want to have a separate calendar just for the birthdays of all the > contacts. But when it asks me "do u want to add as an event to the > calendar?" I click yes, it'll show up too all the calendars. i...

Changing the name of a table that then relates to a query
I changed the name of a table that relates to a lot of queries.....these now wont work....how do i resolve this....thanks for ANY news! Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice ADO.NET Recursive Hierarchical DataSet Technique http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f492b744-8326-4671-a7c3-9143dd2c6da3/adonet-recursive-hierarc.aspx 1. Change the table name back to its orginal name. 2. Download Rich Fisher's excellent Find and Replace add-in and change everything to match the new table name. If you register it (one of the best $37 I've ever spe...

INSERT INTO linked table with AutoNumber resets counter
In Access 2003 SP2, when a record in a linked table that has an incrementing AutoNumber primary key field has been deleted and I retrieve the record from an earlier backup using: INSERT INTO tblTable SELECT * FROM tblTableBackup WHERE ID = IDBackup; the next record to be manually inserted in the table gets assigned a primary key value of IDBackup + 1 rather than the expected IDLastAllocated + 1. I can reproduce this problem in a test database as well as the working system. Is this a known problem? I've not been able find anything on the web. Hi David, I cannot reproduce the ...

Empty Dataset Tables Don't Save to XML
How do you get around the problem of empty tables in a dataset not being included when you do a WriteXML? When you later read the data back into a new dataset, those tables are gone, because they never got saved to the XML file. Only tables containing one or more records get saved to the XML file. Thanks. I would get around this problem by programatically inserting a fake record into the tables, then saving the xml, and then just don't save the fake data. "Phil Galey" <pagaley@starcalif.com.nospam> wrote in message news:%23ck$0qqcFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >...

A2003 Msysxxxxxx tables
How do I suppress the display of the Msysxxxx tables from the database tables directory display. I don't know what role, if any, they play with the other various tables, reports, queries, etc. that might be a part of my application. But, from what I can tell on the surface of things, they are of no consequence to me. Hi, Bill. > How do I suppress the display of the Msysxxxx tables > from the database tables directory display. Those are the system tables, and you don't really need to see them, but they do need to be there in order for your database to function normally. To...

loadstring and string table
Hi guy, I created a multi-doc application by app wizzard. The application default language is English. I added a Chinese string to the string table (language is English (Unite States) )the ID is IDS_STRING130 and I added some very simple code in somewhere as follows: CString test; test.LoadString(IDS_STRING130); AfxMessageBox(test); I compiled and run it. I can see the Chinese in the message box correctly. I change the string table language to Chinese (R.P.C) then and tried to compile and run again. But I cannot see the Chinese in the messagebox correctly. I tried to debug it and found...

Links tutorials
Dear all, It is very important for me to get acquinted with links in Excel. I would be pleased if you guide me for any tutorial/resource that tells the basics and backbone of how links work in MS Excel. My Excel version is 9.0.6 You can also give website resources. Thank you in advance. Mustafa Hi Mustafa, You have additional answers in excel.links You have asked the same question several times in the Excel newsgroups. Basically you are not reaching more people but are asking the same people who may visit different newsgroups at different times. Please stick to one newsgroup a...

Linked images (backgrounds for forms and buttons) don't display, A
System: Win7/64; MS Access/Office 2007; SQL Server 2005 on networked server with shared folders on same server. ADP Project. Project menus and forms contain linked images (< 30) as eye-candy. No problem for months of development. (Make minor change to arbitrary SQL view and add rich text box to menu form. Probably no relationship to problem). Compact, reload. All images no longer display. Able to create new form in project and load linked image. Able to re-browse and link image to button. All image paths are absolute paths. Previous version, absent minor changes l...

Linking Same Tables (Current/Previous) in a Query / Sum is multiplying value results
I'm trying to link two tables in Access...both tables contain the samefields with YTD totals. I need to subtract YTD Total between the two,to determine the difference. I have the tables linked via 2 fields.I group by the two fields, and sum on YTD. It is multiplying thevalues and I'm ending up with numbers in the 200,000 instead of max ofabout 5,000.I've tried doing queries separately, doing the sum, and then linkingthe two new queries...only to have the same results.I've tried turning them into Make-Table Queries, creating the tablesand running the new query off of the 2 ta...

How to Paste Link a cell with color
I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but the original cell has a color background and when it is paste linked, the color is lost. Can anyone help with why this happens? dah That is the way it works, a link never contains the format, the user needs to do it twice, first paste the link and then paste the format -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Paste Link" <PasteLink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:767FEDEC-E3B0-45DD-A6D0-2BB75FC742F0@microsoft.com... > I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but th...

Dynamic Links Excel 2003
Good afternoon. I use an excel 2000 file that has dyanmic links in it used for stock quotes. I save that file onto a disk and move it to another computer that also has Excel 2000, but no internet connection to receive the dynamic information. Upon opening it asks me if I want to update the links, I say no and it lists the static value at the point of save from the original computer. I upgraded computer #2 to excel 2003 and even though I say I do not want the links updated, it will now NOT open with the last static value saved from computer #1. I know have to do the copy and paste s...

Email Not being sent that has an email link in the signature
I am using a signature for my emails that contains an email link to which the receipient can respond to my emails - it is a different email address than the one I am using. Somehow this link is being blocked by the Outlook settings from being sent. The email will show as sent, but never reaches the server. If I take out the email link from the signature, the email sends just fine. Any ideas of what settings to change? Thanks! "tdwan" <tdwan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92462DAC-25FF-4F61-ADAD-6985937C6A71@microsoft.com... >I am usi...

Status in table PurchaseOrderEntryDetail
Hello, We're trying to populate serial # into the PurchaseOrderEntryDetail table and run across the column 'Status'. What are the possible values for Status column in this table? Most of the time we see status of '2'. What does that mean? Please help. Many Thanks & Best Regards, Nikki ...

Anti Log Table from Log Tables
For my children I wanted to have practice in using log table while multiplying and dividing. For this I have a book Clark's Tables (Science Data Book) by Orient Longmans This has Log and Anti Log tables. This is what I have been using in my school days. Now this book is not easily available. I wanted to take a hard copy of the these Log and anti log tables. But I was not successful...as the paper is quite soiled. Then I made search on the net. I got a link. http://www.sosmath.com/tables/logtable/logtable.html Here I have log tables. I also would like to have Antilog tables also...which is...

Formatting numbers within combined links
I have a formula which is combining text with linked values from anothe sheet, and I want to format those numbers with bold texting and different font size so they stand out from the other text. How can do this? Jonatha -- Joniben ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1704 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39742 As a formula (vs straight text), I don't believe it can be done...at least thru v2000 (you didn't tell us what ver...

Easiest way to create a link?
I'm just creating a simple link by typing the following: ='Sub Contracting'!F10 in the obvious format of ='worksheetName'!cell What's the fastest and easiest way to do this in excel? Currently, I have to type everything and it can be annoying flipping back and forth etc. It seems that there should be some sort of intellisense or something that would fill in the formula automatically for me or perhaps a way I can click "Create Link" then click on the cell on another worksheet to link to it. -- ParaDiddle -----------------------------------------------...

Reserve error 7711 when linking to an Informix table with access
I have 4 Informix databases that I have linked to in the past with Access 2000 and Access XP (2002) . I have the Informix ODBC drivers (Version 3.34 32 bit) and can link with with Excel, but I can no longer link to a new table in an old Access program, or link to any table in a new Access Program. I can see the list of Informix tables in the Informix system, but as soon as I ask it to link one of the tables I get the error "Reserved error (-7711) This is a brand new problem, as we have linked to Informix tables this way for several years. The problem occures on Access 2000 and 2002 co...

Pivot Tables Case Sensitive Grouping
Hi I have a pivot table which is group items even if the text in the field is not the same case - ie I have abc123 and ABC123 - The Pivot Table is grouping it one the line rather than displaying two lines. Anyone come across this before ??? I've looked for some options around this but can't see to disable the case insensitive grouping. Thanks You could create a function that returns a unique value for each text string and use that as the grouping column of the pivot table. Post back here if you want such a function Gerry "Mick Scott" <Mick Scott@discussions.mic...

Copy table text to Excel worksheet
I'm using Office XP and am putting text I typed in tables from Word into an Excel spreadsheet due to the columns expanding way beyond 11x17, Word's maximum width I believe. I set up my Excel spreadsheet columns to be wide enough to accept the text (8 columns across) but after copying, it put it all in the first column. Aside from copying each block of text individually, is there a quick way to do this? thanks so much, Regina Hi Regina yes, select your first column and choose data / text to columns you can then choose how your data is separated etc - if this doesn't work well...

Populate a Table From Formula
I have a link to an external Access database to track my time. I use the Excel workbook (2003) to track a few details from the database. What I would like to do is create a formula (probably an array?) that would fill in a table/rows below with the data that matches the formula criteria of date range. Right now, I have to create formulas to match each row of data in the imported sheet, so if the data grows beyond the number of rows I created the formulas, then I have to edit the worksheet again. Most of the time, it has already passed the last row before I realize I need to expand the rows...