Waiting for form to load

I have a form with several cascading subforms. Everything works OK but it
takes several seconds for all the subforms to load and for all the calculated
textboxes to populate.
Is there a way to lock the user from the form until it is completly loaded?
I have tried to use Application.Echo = True/False on either side of the Form
Load code but so much happens after the main form is loaded that it doesn't
seem to help.

I don't know of any way to do what you are asking.  The problem is with
multiple subforms, it has to populate the recordsets for all the subform and
then the main form. (believe it or not, the subforms load before the main
form)  You may need to reconsider your design with performance in mind.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

On Jan 3, 2:29 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I don't know of any way to do what you are asking.  The problem is with
> multiple subforms, it has to populate the recordsets for all the subform and
> then the main form. (believe it or not, the subforms load before the main
> form)  You may need to reconsider your design with performance in mind.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>
> "chasday" wrote:
> > I have a form with several cascading subforms. Everything works OK but it
> > takes several seconds for all the subforms to load and for all the calculated
> > textboxes to populate.
> > Is there a way to lock the user from the form until it is completly loaded?
> > I have tried to use Application.Echo = True/False on either side of the Form
> > Load code but so much happens after the main form is loaded that it doesn't
> > seem to help.

Yeah, anything you try is going to be a fudge... I'm with my good
friend Dave.
0
Minton

Hi All, I would like to load an Excel spreadsheet directly into a single table in Oracle. Both the spreadsheet and the table have the same ordering of columns and have compatable data. I am aware that a way to achieve this would be to convert the .xls file into a .csv file and then use sql loader. However, I am interested in doing this in a quicker/easier way directly from Excel, eg. by adding in some functionality and clicking on a new button for loading into the database. We are all able to read from a database in Excel by importing external data. Surely there is a way to change that...

make function wait
I have a Macro that: runs a function that: runs a bat file that: runs an ftp script that: creates a txt file of the ftp sites directory This runs fine except the next step in the macro is to import the text file using TransferText. Access attempts to import the txt file before the ftp script finishes writing it and I get: "Microsoft Jet database engine could not find..." I have tried: putting a pause in the bat file - Access keeps going not wating for the bat file to finish putting the TransferText as the next step in the function - same error "could not find" having the...

Not receiving emails from contact form on my website
Hi, I wanted to see if anyone has experienced my problem and if anyone has a possible resolution for me. Since I set up my new website in 07/09 I received emails no problem. Just two weeks ago I stopped receiving emails from my contact form on my website. My hosting company tested everything and said the site is fine. Also, I went to the highest levels of support with Brighthouse Networks(Time Warner) and they said my email is fine. The form is in php form. I changed the email address on my site to my wife's yahoo account and I got the email just fine. Anybody have any ideas wha...

Problem with first page of tabbed form
The second and third pages of my form work fine. No matter what I put on the first page it takes up the entire screen when viewed, with no tabs visible. I'm carefully avoiding puting the controls on the main form -- I put them within the black box that appears when the tab is clicked. If I leave the first page blank the other pages work well. If I move the second page up to the top of the page order, I have the same problem -- the form tabs no longer show. How can the same page work correctly when it is in the number 2 position and not when it is in the number 1 position? What a...

OWA Loading
Hi guys, I have exchange 2003, sp1. I am having problem with OWA, it says loading and sometimes i get only images. I tried searching in this news group, but i couldn't be able to solve the problem, i tried this one on MS http://support.microsoft.com/?ID=280823, it didn't fix the problem too. Any idea? P.S. even after i applied sp1, OWA used to work. Suddenly stops working. Thanks in advance for the help ...

have to wait 15mins before mounting new IS
environment: Single Domain Windows 2003 AD (Upgraded from 2000 to 2003 Forest & domain functional Level) 3 DC's in one AD site, 3 physical sites (100Mb WAN Links) All DC's are GC's 2 Exchange 2003 Enterprise Back end servers (not clustered) 1 Exchange 2003 Std front-end server All exchange servers on single site (main site) - same site as PDC Emulator DC PROBLEM: When I create a new Mailbox Store (or public folder) I get error stating store can't be mounted, wait for AD replication. If I select 'Continue Trying' mount will fail with error "The Microso...

Check if Form Exists in db
I need code to close a form "frmName" (if it exists) in the current db. Similar to: IsObject(CurrentDb.FormDefs("frmName")) -Brad On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:15:05 -0700, bhammer wrote: > I need code to close a form "frmName" (if it exists) in the current db. > > Similar to: > IsObject(CurrentDb.FormDefs("frmName")) > > -Brad If CurrentProject.AllForms("FormA").IsLoaded Then DoCmd.Close acForm, "FormA" End If -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail ...

Please Wait While Visio Updates Its Directory Cache?
I installed Visio 2003 from a CD my boss gave to me; the CD is in working order since he was able to install the application from the same CD. I have so far tried: (1) installing (2) repairing and (3) uninstalling and reinstalling (1) and (2) lead to the application stalling at 13%, (3) leads to the application stalling at 38%... My boss attempted to start the application and the application stalled with the "Please wait while Visio updates its directory cache" message at 100%. We together installed the service pack and re-registered the application into my machine's Windows...

Saving a record on a form to multiple places
Here is what I think will be an easy question, but im not sure... Lets say I have a databasee, which i do. Lets say that on my main form, I have a text box called "company". On the same form, I have command buttons that link to other forms that have to do with this company, but they are too numerous to put all on subforms within this form, as I was instructed to make the forms less cluttered. When I enter a new company's name in the text box, as if im adding it for the first time, I would like it to update that field to other tables as well, which all contain that companies n...

waiting waiting waiting for 1.2
Got all the way in on a 1.0 install only to have it hit a brick wall because I have 2003 network. Called MS to get 1.2, advised that they had already mailed it out. 2 weeks later no CD's. Call back and reorder, then get an email about how its backordered. Is there anyway I can download these CD's? I already have my keys... Thanks GP ------=_NextPart_0001_384DCDE6 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi GP, If you have an MSDN subscription, you can download the Microsoft V1.2 code. Otherwise you would need to wait for the CD's. If you are awaiting an...

A realtion from one form to the same form?
Hi all, In a database of mine I've made a form where my users are going to register persons. There are many fields in the form, among them autonumber, name, address, phone numbers and so on. There is also a field into which they shall put the autonumber given to the person's wife or husband who have allready been registered in the form. I want the form to show name the wife or husband when her or his autonumber is put into the right field. But I wonder how do I do this? As I see it I need a one-to-many relation from the autonumber field in the table to the wife-or-husband fiel...

Form Header and Footer Not Being Displayed
Access 2007. I have a form that I just changed to show the form header and footer they show up in design view but don't appear in form view. JamesJ wrote: > Access 2007. > I have a form that I just changed to show the form header and footer > they show up in design view but don't appear in form view. You probably used "Page" header/footer instead of "Form" header/footer. The former is only used for printing. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com You'r right. I should wait for the...

Update textbox on form
The following are events on two combo boxes on a subform "NewJobsSubform", the first sets the rowsource of the second and also sets a default value in the second. The second event sets the value in the text box "Sell" to the price associated with the RepProduct in cboRepProduct - collected from the table "RepairProducts". "Private Sub cboCatName_AfterUpdate() On Error Resume Next Me.cboRepProduct.RowSource = "SELECT RepairProduct.RepProduct FROM" & _ " RepairProduct WHERE CatName = '" & Me.cboCatName.Value...

Waiting for Outlook to Exit
I've searched finding that it's common for Outlook to hang while exiting ... Much of what I've found is dated and doesn't seem to apply...Any updated thoughts as to where the hang ups might be? Using XP, Outlook 2000, using Workgroup (not IMO), not using Symantec fax (included in Office 2000).. Thank you! -- B'Regards, Vinnie Uncle Vinnie <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote: > I've searched finding that it's common for Outlook to hang while > exiting In all cases, the problem is another program that hooks into the same support programs Outloo...

Form C++ Forum
Which forum should I post requests to for c++ form info. Investigation forms server in c++ and have the sample working but which to ask some design questions - should I post here?? Answers on a post card please :o) There is a newsgroup specifically for general Outlook programming issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_vba Or if you're building an Outlook add-in use = microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins --=20 Sue ...

Help with opening form from another form using a query
Ok , I know the discription is a bit much. This is what I have so far. I have my main switch board , we wll call Main Main opens up when I open the DB Main has 2 buttons new patient and open patient We are dealing with open patient When the open patient button is selected it goes to another form - patient selector patient selector has a combo box tied to a query. The query can return results based off of a patients or MD's last name or letters and a wild card. So I get the patient selected that I want so far. Now is where I am having problems. The patient that I have selected in the pa...

requerying a form
I've tried posting this a couple other times but have yet to resolve it. My apologies for multiple posts and any confusion this may have caused. I'm really having trouble with this and have not been very clear. Hopefully, I'm more crystal than mud now and someone can see the error. I have a form [frmPackaging] which has a combobox [cbqrytypes] that's part of the form's record source: SELECT tblProfiles.*, tblProfiles.Type AS PKType FROM tblProfiles WHERE (((tblProfiles.Type)=[Forms]![frmPackaging]![cbqrytypes])) OR ((([Forms]![frmPackaging].[Form]![cbqrytypes]) ...

Continuous form on continuous form
I read in this discussion group that one can put a continuous form(subform) on another continuous form(subform) as long as the subform is in the header or footer of the main form. Is this true? I have a main form with 2 subforms. I put one subform in the footer and tried to put another subform on the footer-placed subform andI keep getting messages it can't be done and Access automatically chanes my form to single form which I can't change. TIA There is a trick to doing this. After you click OK to the message access gives you, go back to the main form and change it t...

Optimize Exchange 2003 for large mail loads
We have exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 machine configured with basic default settings. It is in a domain setting and we have people that use outlook to pull mail from the server. These individuals receive about 1000 mails a day. When gone to lunch, there are about 2-3 hundred mails when they return. The problem we have is when they log back on and try to pull mail from the exchange. The outlook crashes. When they pull smaller groups of mail through out the day, they are fine. There are only 4 people here that receive mail like this and we've up the memory on the computers...

filter form by listbox selection
Access 2003 form called fGua has an unbound list box called lstComponent. When the user selects from the listbox how can I make the form filter by that selection Private Sub lstComponent_AfterUpdate() Select Case lstComponent.Value Case "CT" 'CT Me.Filter = "[Component] = [lstComponent].value " Me.FilterOn = True Me.Component.DefaultValue = """" & Me.lstComponent.Value & """" Case "ST" 'ST Me.Filter = "[Component] = [lstComponent].value &q...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

Wait condition and custom workflow stay waiting (error)
I have a custom workflow that update a field in a custom entity and it works fine but I need to delay its execution and for that I used a wait condition previous a this custom workflow. When the workflow (with a wait condition) exceute stay waiting and throw an error and in the table Workflowlog in the database show me the error -2147220970 (System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Type 'System.ComponentModel.Container' ..... ) Anyone can help me with this issue ? -- Pablo Choy Analyst Developer A full error message and detail information about the workflow defin...

Automated task to present data in a graph form.
Hi, I am newbie to Excel area. I got a requirement where in I need to present the Excel sheet data with 3 columns in a graphical form. Everyday, the excel sheet is populated with the current data. This is automated from the backend. I want to know whether there is any possibility of a macro which draws a graph with the data present in the excel sheet. It should be an automated task. Thanks for the help in advance. -- luckyguy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ luckyguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=285...

Form won't keep its sort order
I have a form which is based on a table. I want the form to always be sorted in ascending order by a field called "Number". In the Form's properties, under Order By, I have tblSO_Items.Number. In form view, I can right-click on the Number field and click "Sort Ascending" and it sorts properly for the moment. I can save the form, but if I close the form and re-open it, it loses its sort order and goes back to sorting by another field. I'm really scratching my head on this one. Any help would be appreciated. Darrell The OrderBy property may not be retained when...

Survey Form
Hello, I want to take a poll with approx 5 answer options displayed as radio buttons or check marks. i.e. Options are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, When all users answer, I want to paste answers into one spreadsheet then look at activity X and count how many answered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Any suggestions on how to start would be great. Just remeber that I'll be sending the workbook as an attachment via email to everyone. I would like to make it's as simple as possible for them to open answer and resend back to me. Thank you. John ...