Using to Browse to a folder and save the location

Hello

I'am wanting to create a form with a browse button to find a specific
filename on a disk,folder and save the location to a tablie linked by a key
from another table. ie Ref No From table one linked and saved to results from
browse button (table2).

When I call up the Ref no it will go and search for table2 for the disk and
folder and filename to call up the .doc or any filename saved,if no results
are found then to ask the question where the filename located and again to
save the results to table2.

Can this be done?

The code you need to open the File Open dialog and return the fully
qualified file name is here:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm

"PhilipBenno" <PhilipBenno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'am wanting to create a form with a browse button to find a specific
> filename on a disk,folder and save the location to a tablie linked by a
> key
> from another table. ie Ref No From table one linked and saved to results
> from
> browse button (table2).
>
> When I call up the Ref no it will go and search for table2 for the disk
> and
> folder and filename to call up the .doc or any filename saved,if no
> results
> are found then to ask the question where the filename located and again to
> save the results to table2.
>
> Can this be done?

0
Allen
10/18/2007 10:42:05 AM
Hello

How do you actually implement the code from start to finish

thanks

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> The code you need to open the File Open dialog and return the fully
> qualified file name is here:
>     http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm

> "PhilipBenno" <PhilipBenno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I'am wanting to create a form with a browse button to find a specific
> > filename on a disk,folder and save the location to a tablie linked by a
> > key
> > from another table. ie Ref No From table one linked and saved to results
> > from
> > browse button (table2).
> >
> > When I call up the Ref no it will go and search for table2 for the disk
> > and
> > folder and filename to call up the .doc or any filename saved,if no
> > results
> > are found then to ask the question where the filename located and again to
> > save the results to table2.
> >
> > Can this be done?

1. Click on the Modules tab of the Database Container.
Click new. Access opens a new module.

2. Paste in everything between:
    '***************** Code Start **************
and
    ************** Code End *****************

3. Save the module with a name such as modAPI.

4. Still in the code window, choose Compile on the Debug menu to ensure
Access understands this.

5. Press Ctrl+G to open the Immediate Window.
Enter this:
    ? TestIt()

Now that you have the code working, you can use it in the Click event
procedure of your button.

> Hello
>
> How do you actually implement the code from start to finish
>
> thanks
>
> "Allen Browne" wrote:
>
>> The code you need to open the File Open dialog and return the fully
>> qualified file name is here:
>>     http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm
>>
>> --
>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>>
>> "PhilipBenno" <PhilipBenno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I'am wanting to create a form with a browse button to find a specific
>> > filename on a disk,folder and save the location to a tablie linked by a
>> > key
>> > from another table. ie Ref No From table one linked and saved to
>> > results
>> > from
>> > browse button (table2).
>> >
>> > When I call up the Ref no it will go and search for table2 for the disk
>> > and
>> > folder and filename to call up the .doc or any filename saved,if no
>> > results
>> > are found then to ask the question where the filename located and again
>> > save the results to table2.
>> >
>> > Can this be done?

0
Allen
10/19/2007 10:58:38 AM
Hi Alan

Thanks for the help,just one quick thing when I call the function
getopenfile it locates the drive,directory,filename. But when I try to write
the contents to another table it creates a duplicate record,I found this out
when I put a autonumber on the key,it's when a use the command ie
coshlocation.addnew,it call's the function up again even though the command
call getopenfile has already executed 4 lines before.

"PhilipBenno" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'am wanting to create a form with a browse button to find a specific
> filename on a disk,folder and save the location to a tablie linked by a key
> from another table. ie Ref No From table one linked and saved to results from
> browse button (table2).
>
> When I call up the Ref no it will go and search for table2 for the disk and
> folder and filename to call up the .doc or any filename saved,if no results
> are found then to ask the question where the filename located and again to
> save the results to table2.
>
> Can this be done?
Sounds like you have the FileOpen code working properly, and you now have a
problem with your Addnew code.

> Hi Alan
>
> Thanks for the help,just one quick thing when I call the function
> getopenfile it locates the drive,directory,filename. But when I try to
> write
> the contents to another table it creates a duplicate record,I found this
> out
> when I put a autonumber on the key,it's when a use the command ie
> coshlocation.addnew,it call's the function up again even though the
> command
> call getopenfile has already executed 4 lines before.
>
> "PhilipBenno" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'am wanting to create a form with a browse button to find a specific
>> filename on a disk,folder and save the location to a tablie linked by a
>> key
>> from another table. ie Ref No From table one linked and saved to results
>> from
>> browse button (table2).
>>
>> When I call up the Ref no it will go and search for table2 for the disk
>> and
>> folder and filename to call up the .doc or any filename saved,if no
>> results
>> are found then to ask the question where the filename located and again
>> save the results to table2.
>>
>> Can this be done?

0
Allen

Public Folders and Display of Mail Addresses
Hi, Ex 2003 SP1. I have created a public folder holding all the corporate contacts. I want to allow users to select the contacts email address when sending a message, however, on selecting the public folder from Select Names/Show Names from/Public Folders after clicking To: no external contacts are displayed. I know that if you right click the PF and select this folder as an Outlook Email Address book the the names are then displayed in the selection dialogue box after clicking on the PF. Surely there is a way to do this globally, to avoid all users in the organisation having to configure...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Public Folder move to a new server with replication enabled
What is the best method to move replicated public folders. We have a four server env. running W2K3 EX2003. I am trying to migrate some data off two server that are running out of space. The two servers runnning out of space are replicatiing public folders. I would like to move the public stores to two new servers. What is the best way to do it with the replication intact. Can I just move the stores? Is it an option to replicate to the new servers and stop relicating the old server when the folders are created. Keeping downtime to a minimun is a primary goal. Thanks in advance for your...

Allow temporarily use of right click

Save as Read only
Hi, I need a piece of code that can save a file over a read only file and save as a read only, but not have a message that gives you a choice of opening as a read only or not (If that makes any sense) I have tried this, but doesn’t work: Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="E:\Desktop\Test.xls", _ FileFormat:=xlExcel8, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _ ReadOnlyRecommended:=True ActiveWindow.Close Help greatly appreciated Try: Activeworkbook.Saved = True Activeworkbook.ChangeFileAccess...

How to use interfaces

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...