Using Findfirst recordset to search memo field type

Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
I'm using findfirst to search for a call phrase in a memo field, phrases
listed in the callphrases table.
It worked once!! and then stopped...any help is appreciated, using Access 2007

Dim db As Database, strsql As String, rst As Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblcallphrases", dbOpenDynaset)
'strsql = "[CallPhrase]='" & ([Forms]![frmConcernlog]![tblevents
subform].[Form]![eInvestigation]) & "'"
rst.MoveFirst
rst.FindFirst strsql
If rst.NoMatch Then
'do something exit sub
Else
Debug.Print rst!callphrase
End If
rst.Close
Set rst = Nothing
Set db = Nothing

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 20:51:01 -0700, Dale
<Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

The line:
strsql = ....
is commented out.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
>I'm using findfirst to search for a call phrase in a memo field, phrases
>listed in the callphrases table.
>It worked once!! and then stopped...any help is appreciated, using Access 2007
>
>Dim db As Database, strsql As String, rst As Recordset
>Set db = CurrentDb
>Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblcallphrases", dbOpenDynaset)
>'strsql = "[CallPhrase]='" & ([Forms]![frmConcernlog]![tblevents
>subform].[Form]![eInvestigation]) & "'"
>rst.MoveFirst
>rst.FindFirst strsql
>If rst.NoMatch Then
>'do something exit sub
>Else
>Debug.Print rst!callphrase
>End If
>rst.Close
>Set rst = Nothing
>Set db = Nothing
0
Tom
4/5/2010 3:57:08 AM

"Dale" wrote:

> Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
> I'm using findfirst to search for a call phrase in a memo field, phrases
> listed in the callphrases table.
> It worked once!! and then stopped...any help is appreciated, using Access 2007

Note reposting correct code...
Dim db As Database, strsql As String, rst As Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("select * from tblcallphrases", dbOpenDynaset)

"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Dale" wrote:
>
>> Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
>> I'm using findfirst to search for a call phrase in a memo field, phrases
>> listed in the callphrases table.
>> It worked once!! and then stopped...any help is appreciated, using Access
>> 2007
>>

> Note reposting correct code...
> Dim db As Database, strsql As String, rst As Recordset
> Set db = CurrentDb
> Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("select * from tblcallphrases", dbOpenDynaset)
> strsql = "[CallPhrase]='" & ([Forms]![frmConcernlog]![tblevents
> subform].[Form]![eInvestigation]) & "'"
> rst.MoveFirst
> rst.FindFirst strsql
> If rst.NoMatch Then
> 'do something exit sub
> Else
> Debug.Print rst!callphrase
> End If
> rst.Close
> Set rst = Nothing
> Set db = Nothing

In what way exactly does that code not work?

What is the value of strsql when you call the FindFirst method?

Is the memo field [CallPhrase] a rich text field?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/5/2010 4:21:16 AM

"Tom van Stiphout" wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 20:51:01 -0700, Dale
> <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> The line:
> strsql = ....
> is commented out.
>
> -Tom.
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> >Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
> >I'm using findfirst to search for a call phrase in a memo field, phrases
> >listed in the callphrases table.
> >It worked once!! and then stopped...any help is appreciated, using Access 2007
> >
> >Dim db As Database, strsql As String, rst As Recordset
> >Set db = CurrentDb
> >Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblcallphrases", dbOpenDynaset)
> >'strsql = "[CallPhrase]='" & ([Forms]![frmConcernlog]![tblevents
> >subform].[Form]![eInvestigation]) & "'"
> >rst.MoveFirst
> >rst.FindFirst strsql
> >If rst.NoMatch Then
> >'do something exit sub
> >Else
> >Debug.Print rst!callphrase
> >End If
> >rst.Close
> >Set rst = Nothing
> >Set db = Nothing
> .
> The strsql string was commented out in the post in error..I was testing with a different strsql format and didn't uncomment the line before posting. I had reposted with the strsql correctly.

The code does not find any of the phrases in the callphrases table even
though they exist. If I replace the strsql string with "[callphrase]='" &
"""called client""", the code works.  Its only when I'm referencing the forms
control does it not work or so it appears. Changing the memo type to text did
not make a difference. The memo field is set to plain text. So I'm at a loss.
 Thanks again.

> The code does not find any of the phrases in the callphrases table even
> though they exist. If I replace the strsql string with "[callphrase]='" &
> """called client""", the code works.  Its only when I'm referencing the
> forms
> control does it not work or so it appears. Changing the memo type to text
> did
> not make a difference. The memo field is set to plain text. So I'm at a
> loss.

Add a line

    Debug.Print strsql

..... just before the call to FindFirst, and report what that shows.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/5/2010 2:15:18 PM
=?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?

Why are you walking through the records to do this? Why not present
a list of the records with the phrase and let the user click on each
in turn to pull up each record? Or just filter the form to display
only the matching records?

I implement lots of functionality to allow users to find records,
but have not once used walking a recordset as the way I implemented
it.

David
4/6/2010 12:23:36 AM

"David W. Fenton" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
>
> Why are you walking through the records to do this? Why not present
> a list of the records with the phrase and let the user click on each
> in turn to pull up each record? Or just filter the form to display
> only the matching records?
>
> I implement lots of functionality to allow users to find records,
> but have not once used walking a recordset as the way I implemented
> it.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
> .
I'm using the NoMatch = False to trigger a msgbox to the user having them
confirm the action i.e. msgbox "pls confirm you have called the client."

To Dirk's question, when I debug the sqlstr every once in a while I get
this: [CallPhrase]='<div>called patient</div>' which explains why the strsql
failed, seems when I edit the memo field I get the <div> tags even though
field is set to plain text.  This was only visible in the table and not the
form (I was mostly troubleshooting from the form). So this code does work,
but now my new problem, the code works only with exact matches, I was hoping
findfirst would find partial matches i.e. the call phrase = called patient
but if the from I'm searching against has "Once the investigation was
completed the patient was called", the match fails.

I'm thinking I need to find another way of doing this.

Thanks all

> To Dirk's question, when I debug the sqlstr every once in a while I get
> this: [CallPhrase]='<div>called patient</div>' which explains why the
> strsql
> failed, seems when I edit the memo field I get the <div> tags even though
> field is set to plain text.  This was only visible in the table and not
> the
> form (I was mostly troubleshooting from the form). So this code does work,
> but now my new problem, the code works only with exact matches, I was
> hoping
> findfirst would find partial matches i.e. the call phrase = called patient
> but if the from I'm searching against has "Once the investigation was
> completed the patient was called", the match fails.
>
> I'm thinking I need to find another way of doing this.

You can specify the Like operator in your FindFirst criteria string:

    strsql = "[CallPhrase] Like '*" & _
        [Forms]![frmConcernlog]![tblevents subform].[Form]![eInvestigation]
& _
        "*'"

(though you'd need to remove the <div> and </div> tags).

However, that will still not find that second string you mentioned.  So you
do need to think about it a bit more.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/6/2010 5:15:16 AM
"Dirk Goldgar" <dg@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in

> (though you'd need to remove the <div> and </div> tags).

Isn't there a function in there to return HTML memo fields as plain
text?

David
4/7/2010 1:34:56 AM
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Dirk Goldgar" <dg@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in
>
>> (though you'd need to remove the <div> and </div> tags).
>
> Isn't there a function in there to return HTML memo fields as plain
> text?

I don't know -- I haven't explored that aspect of Access 2007 yet.  I'm a
little puzzled, because Dale said the memo field was set to Plain Text.  I
wonder if it was previously set to Rich Text, had some data entered that
way, and then was changed to Plain Text.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/7/2010 1:42:14 AM
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Isn't there a function in there to return HTML memo fields as plain
> text?

There is;  it's called PlainText().  You pass it the value of the rich text
field, and it strips out the HTML tags and returns the plain-text version of
it.  Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a RichText() function to take a
plain-text string, wrap it in <div></div> tags, and convert any necessary
embedded HTML elements (such as left-angle-brackets) into character codes.
You'd think there ought to be something like that.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk

MOSS licensing user type
When a standard CAL is purchased for MOSS is it for a named user or for any user? If I purchase 10 CALs are they for 10 concurrent users or 10 named users? Licensing questions should really be addressed directly to Microsoft. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "James Martin" <JIT@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:E00C091C-1E97-48B5-84C5-A3828C32A16F@microsoft.com... > When a standard CAL is purchased for MOSS is it for a named user or for > any > user? If I purchase 10 CALs are they for 10 concurrent u...

error C2440: 'type cast' : cannot convert from 'overloaded-function' to 'LPHANDLER_FUNCTION'
I wrote a VC program for service...In VC 6 it working fine...But In Visual Studio 2005 it got errorrs... My code is give below.... void CRRMService::ServiceMain() { int error; //MEMORYSTATUS memory; int result; ServiceStatus.dwServiceType = SERVICE_WIN32; ServiceStatus.dwCurrentState = SERVICE_START_PENDING; ServiceStatus.dwControlsAccepted = SERVICE_ACCEPT_STOP | SERVICE_ACCEPT_SHUTDOWN; ServiceStatus.dwWin32ExitCode = 0; ServiceStatus.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = 0; ServiceStatus.dwCheckPoint = 0; ServiceStatus.dwWaitHint ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Finding all table and fields that are involved in a one to many relation (on many side) with a given field
Hi, I have a master table, and several other tables that are related to this master through one to many relations. How can I find all tables and fields which are in relation with the primary key in the master table, on "many" side? I know I can extract this by querying views from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but I don't know where exactly I can find this info Thank you One way Select op.name As ParentTableName, oc.name As ChildTableName, c.name As ChildColumnName From sys.foreign_key_columns kc Inner Join sys.objects op On kc.parent_object_id = op.object_id Inner Jo...

Activities View & Regarding Field
Is it possible to see the Regarding name in the activities view? I know it is possible to exit the activity view throught the view editor e.g. http://crm/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001902} for all activities though this only allows addition of a few fields. if I look in the SavedQueryBase, the view {00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001902} gives a FetchXml string with the activity fields. the display text for the regarding field is available in the Activity view as the ObjectName field Can one simply add the ObjectName field to this to provide the rega...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Pivot Tables, calculated fields
I'm trying to add two calculated fields to a pivot tabe. I'd prefer that the field calculation the takes a row item quantity or dollar figure and calculates the item as a percentage of the total. Such as region xx has 85% of the total sales units but only 78% of the total sales dollars. Can anyone help me? Instead of a calculated field, you can add data fields to the pivot table. In the pivot table wizard, double-click the data field button Click the Options button For 'Show data as', select % of column. Excel GuRu wrote: > I'm trying to add two calculated field...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

To: Field sloooow behavior
Some users (including myself, up until a recent rebuild of my PC) are suffering from this odd behavior and I'm hoping one of you can help. Using Outlook 2007 on a domain with Exhange 2003; some users on XP Pro, some on Vista Enterprise. I fire up a new email and start typing in the To: field. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the letters to appear. Worse yet, if I make a mistake and need to backspace, it can take several seconds to erase the characters. I thought I had narrowed the problem down to Windows Desktop Search because uninstalling it eliminated the problem on one use...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...