Using a module to control multiple Forms' events

Hi all,

I have a navigation bar which exists on nearly all of my forms.  It
has buttons to create new items, to search for items, etc.

But to make my navigation bar functional, I need to copy and paste the
EXACT same event code into about 15 forms - incredibly smelly code.
So I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a module to set a
control's event code.   Anyone know if this is possible in Access
2003??

Thanks,
Mark

-1
mark_aok

mark_aok@hotmail.com wrote:
>I have a navigation bar which exists on nearly all of my forms.  It
>has buttons to create new items, to search for items, etc.
>
>But to make my navigation bar functional, I need to copy and paste the
>EXACT same event code into about 15 forms - incredibly smelly code.
>So I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a module to set a
>control's event code.   Anyone know if this is possible in Access
>2003??

What's a navigation bar?

If it's a set of command buttons (or other controls) that
you copy/paste onto all those forms, then you can put all
the code in a standard module and make sure each procedure
is a Public Function.

Then you call the appropriate function procedure from the
control's event properties using the syntax =functionname()
instead of [Event Procedure]

If your code is not really **exactly** the same, you will
need to make some changes depending on what the differences
happen to be.  Note that you will not be able to use Me in
this arrangement, instead either pass the form object to the
functions with this syntax  =functionname(Form) or the
functions can refer to  Screen.ActiveForm.  Control names
are usually an issue in this kind of scenario, but maybe not
in your situation.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
On Jun 10, 11:41 pm, Marshall Barton <marshbar...@wowway.com> wrote:
> mark_...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >I have a navigation bar which exists on nearly all of my forms.  It
> >has buttons to create new items, to search for items, etc.
>
> >But to make my navigation bar functional, I need to copy and paste the
> >EXACT same event code into about 15 forms - incredibly smelly code.
> >So I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a module to set a
> >control's event code.   Anyone know if this is possible in Access
> >2003??
>
> What's a navigation bar?
>
> If it's a set of command buttons (or other controls) that
> you copy/paste onto all those forms, then you can put all
> the code in a standard module and make sure each procedure
> is a Public Function.
>
> Then you call the appropriate function procedure from the
> control's event properties using the syntax =functionname()
> instead of [Event Procedure]
>
> If your code is not really **exactly** the same, you will
> need to make some changes depending on what the differences
> happen to be.  Note that you will not be able to use Me in
> this arrangement, instead either pass the form object to the
> functions with this syntax  =functionname(Form) or the
> functions can refer to  Screen.ActiveForm.  Control names
> are usually an issue in this kind of scenario, but maybe not
> in your situation.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

Ok thanks, I'll but the code in a module.  That really is frustrating
though, how there is no more efficient way of doing this.  It's
probably going to take half a day of copy and pasting.  Oh well,

Mark

-1
mark_aok
6/11/2007 2:03:54 PM
<mark_aok@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 10, 11:41 pm, Marshall Barton <marshbar...@wowway.com> wrote:
>> mark_...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> >I have a navigation bar which exists on nearly all of my forms.  It
>> >has buttons to create new items, to search for items, etc.
>>
>> >But to make my navigation bar functional, I need to copy and paste the
>> >EXACT same event code into about 15 forms - incredibly smelly code.
>> >So I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a module to set a
>> >control's event code.   Anyone know if this is possible in Access
>> >2003??
>>
>> Then you call the appropriate function procedure from the
>> control's event properties using the syntax =functionname()
>> instead of [Event Procedure]
>
> Ok thanks, I'll but the code in a module.  That really is frustrating
> though, how there is no more efficient way of doing this.  It's
> probably going to take half a day of copy and pasting.  Oh well,

Note that if you select multiple controls, you can set the event's property
for all of the selected controls at once through the Properties window.
(doesn't work for multiple forms, unfortunately).

You can also set properties programmatically. For example, if the form's
open, you can set the Click event to run your function using:

Forms!NameOfForm!NameOfButton.OnClick = "=functionname()"

(Note that the equal sign inside the quotes and the parentheses must be
there)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

-1
Douglas
6/11/2007 2:54:27 PM
mark_aok@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Jun 10, 11:41 pm, Marshall Barton <marshbar...@wowway.com> wrote:
>> mark_...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> >I have a navigation bar which exists on nearly all of my forms.  It
>> >has buttons to create new items, to search for items, etc.
>>
>> >But to make my navigation bar functional, I need to copy and paste the
>> >EXACT same event code into about 15 forms - incredibly smelly code.
>> >So I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a module to set a
>> >control's event code.   Anyone know if this is possible in Access
>> >2003??
>>
>> What's a navigation bar?
>>
>> If it's a set of command buttons (or other controls) that
>> you copy/paste onto all those forms, then you can put all
>> the code in a standard module and make sure each procedure
>> is a Public Function.
>>
>> Then you call the appropriate function procedure from the
>> control's event properties using the syntax =functionname()
>> instead of [Event Procedure]
>>
>> If your code is not really **exactly** the same, you will
>> need to make some changes depending on what the differences
>> happen to be.  Note that you will not be able to use Me in
>> this arrangement, instead either pass the form object to the
>> functions with this syntax  =functionname(Form) or the
>> functions can refer to  Screen.ActiveForm.  Control names
>> are usually an issue in this kind of scenario, but maybe not
>> in your situation.
>
>Ok thanks, I'll but the code in a module.  That really is frustrating
>though, how there is no more efficient way of doing this.  It's
>probably going to take half a day of copy and pasting.  Oh well,

What??

Why do you think you need to do all that copying and
pasting?  My suggestion only needed **one** copy of the code
in a **standard** module instead of every form's class
module.

You still haven't explained what this "navigation bar" is,
so I don't even know if my suggestion even applies to what
you are trying to do.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Manufacturing: Quality Control
Hi, Our client got online and finished product inspection. Great Plains does not support it? Does anyone know of a work around or came across this situation before? Thanks in advance Khalid We usually recommend the Extender module to add additional information to the manufacturing modules. Extender may be able to accomplish what you want. "K M Dhariwal" wrote: > Hi, > Our client got online and finished product inspection. Great Plains does not > support it? Does anyone know of a work around or came across this situation > before? > Thanks in advance > Khal...

Multiple Worksheet
I'm not sure how to explain this, but here we go. I have a workbook w/ multiple worksheets. The first worksheet is titled ALL. This includes all information from other worksheets. How can I have certain information transfer to other worksheets by recognizing initials? Basically if the "All" worksheet has has an S listed it - can I transfer to worksheet titled Scott w/o the beating of copy and paste? Thanks in advance. -- bonzai18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bonzai18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Split Form Question
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAF13.FE651FC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Access 2007 sp2. When I first open a split form there is no data in the navigation bar at = the bottom of the form. It doesn't show the record number or the number of records. Only when I select a row does anything show in the nav bar. Is this normal?? James ------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAF13.FE651FC0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encod...

Selecting A single Month From a Table with Multiple Months
The following code is used as the criteria in a selct query for a date field: >=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date())-1,1) And <=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date()),0) It has worked fine until the table included records from January 2010, database was created in 2009. Is there a fix or a better way to accomplish the intent? Not sure what your problem is the expressions you have return the first and last day of the prior month. So this is February 3, 2010 and the expression return 1/1/2010 and 1/31/2010. What do you want returned? What is the problem you are ha...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

CRM 4
How to add Navigation controls in Accounts, Contacts and Activities CRM 4.0 forms. Requirement is, have to customize CRM forms to provide navigation controls (First, Previous, Next & Last) in the above mentioned forms. Is there any Webservices or any other possible ways to provide these functionalities? Try this blog post by the people at CWR Mobility: http://www.cwrmobility.nl/weblog/2005/12/adding-nextprevious-buttons-to-entity.html Should work for everything but Activities. -- MD "Ajai" wrote: > How to add Navigation controls in Accounts, Contacts and Activit...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Access 2003 Form Question
I have an access database that I am using for site surveys. In a nutshell, there is a header table with a date and location as the keys and a detail section with the survey results. The detail section shows a series of 30 or so questions(from a questions table) on how the site was rated. I am trying to design a form that populates a yes/no/not available type response in the detail section. The user would either click on a yes/no/NA type box or have a drop down and select the value(whichever is easiest) next to the box. After the user answers the 30 or so questions, an answers table...

What do you use Excel for?

Edit contact form
I edited the fields in the contact form fields, however when I look up the contact in contacts page it does not display the changes that i made to the form, Can anyone help? Try this: http://www.greatplains.com/techknowledge/techknowledge.asp ?id=30501&target=CS >-----Original Message----- >I edited the fields in the contact form fields, however >when I look up the contact in contacts page it does not >display the changes that i made to the form, Can anyone >help? >. > Did you publish and reset iis? Bill >-----Original Message----- > >Try this: &g...