Tab control questions

Using Office 2003 and Windows XP;

When using a tab control:

1) Does it wrap automatically so that the tabs are more than one layer deep
if additional tabs are inserted?

2) Is there a way to control when the tabs wrap to a second row or where the
break will occur or is this just automatic (i.e. whenever it runs out of
room)?

3) I'm sure I won't get anywhere near it, but what is the limit on the
number of tabs?

Thanks in advance.

On Dec 17, 10:45 am, XP <X...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Using Office 2003 and Windows XP;
>
> When using a tab control:
>
> 1) Does it wrap automatically so that the tabs are more than one layer deep
> if additional tabs are inserted?
>
> 2) Is there a way to control when the tabs wrap to a second row or where the
> break will occur or is this just automatic (i.e. whenever it runs out of
> room)?
>
> 3) I'm sure I won't get anywhere near it, but what is the limit on the
> number of tabs?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Access shows scroll arrows on the right side of the listbox when the
number of tabs exceeds the display size - it doesn't wrap. I don't
believe there's any similar non-API-acrobatically-intensive way to do
(2) above. As for the limit, it's generally a poor design choice if
you need to have loads of tabs and will likely result in disastrous
performance due to the way the tab control acts as a container for
objects on each page.

I tested the numerical limit using:

Public Sub test()

    Dim i As Integer
    Dim frm As Form
    Set frm = Forms("Form1")

    Do
        i = i + 1
        frm.TabCtl0.Pages.Add
        Debug.Print i
    Loop

End Sub

.... and it started to slow down (adding one page a second) at around
160 tabs. FYI, you can only tab pages in design view.

Hope this helps,
James
0
Minton
12/17/2007 8:26:19 PM
On Dec 17, 12:26 pm, Minton M <jamesbesw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 10:45 am, XP <X...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Using Office 2003 and Windows XP;
>
> > When using a tab control:
>
> > 1) Does it wrap automatically so that the tabs are more than one layer deep
> > if additional tabs are inserted?
>
> > 2) Is there a way to control when the tabs wrap to a second row or where the
> > break will occur or is this just automatic (i.e. whenever it runs out of
> > room)?
>
> > 3) I'm sure I won't get anywhere near it, but what is the limit on the
> > number of tabs?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Access shows scroll arrows on the right side of the listbox when the
> number of tabs exceeds the display size - it doesn't wrap. I don't
> believe there's any similar non-API-acrobatically-intensive way to do
> (2) above. As for the limit, it's generally a poor design choice if
> you need to have loads of tabs and will likely result in disastrous
> performance due to the way the tab control acts as a container for
> objects on each page.
>
> I tested the numerical limit using:
>
> Public Sub test()
>
>     Dim i As Integer
>     Dim frm As Form
>     Set frm = Forms("Form1")
>
>     Do
>         i = i + 1
>         frm.TabCtl0.Pages.Add
>         Debug.Print i
>     Loop
>
> End Sub
>
> ... and it started to slow down (adding one page a second) at around
> 160 tabs. FYI, you can only tab pages in design view.
>
> Hope this helps,
> James

By the way... it blew up horribly at around 290 tabs.
0
Minton
12/17/2007 8:37:48 PM
Actually, you can display multiple rows of tabs by setting the Multi-Row
property on the Format tab to Yes.

You can also determine how many tabs will show up on a given row of tabs by
setting the tab controls TabFixedWidth property.

I generally keep it down to under a dozen tabs, and there are some
techniques for avoiding the overhead that James mentions also.  One of these
is to use subforms on each of the tabs, and set the subforms sourceObject to
"" for all the tabs when the form loads or goes to a new record.  Then, in
the tab controls Change event, set the subforms SourceObject to the
appropriate form if it is blank.  This way, when the form loads or goes to a
new record, there is not a lot of overhead loading the subforms.

HTH
Dale
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

On Dec 17, 1:33 pm, Dale Fye <dale....@nospam.com> wrote:
> Actually, you can display multiple rows of tabs by setting the Multi-Row
> property on the Format tab to Yes.
>
> You can also determine how many tabs will show up on a given row of tabs by
> setting the tab controls TabFixedWidth property.
>
> I generally keep it down to under a dozen tabs, and there are some
> techniques for avoiding the overhead that James mentions also.  One of these
> is to use subforms on each of the tabs, and set the subforms sourceObject to
> "" for all the tabs when the form loads or goes to a new record.  Then, in
> the tab controls Change event, set the subforms SourceObject to the
> appropriate form if it is blank.  This way, when the form loads or goes to a
> new record, there is not a lot of overhead loading the subforms.
>
> HTH
> Dale
> --
> Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!
>
> email address is invalid
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>
> "Minton M" wrote:
> > On Dec 17, 10:45 am, XP <X...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Using Office 2003 and Windows XP;
>
> > > When using a tab control:
>
> > > 1) Does it wrap automatically so that the tabs are more than one layer deep
> > > if additional tabs are inserted?
>
> > > 2) Is there a way to control when the tabs wrap to a second row or where the
> > > break will occur or is this just automatic (i.e. whenever it runs out of
> > > room)?
>
> > > 3) I'm sure I won't get anywhere near it, but what is the limit on the
> > > number of tabs?
>
> > > Thanks in advance.
>
> > Access shows scroll arrows on the right side of the listbox when the
> > number of tabs exceeds the display size - it doesn't wrap. I don't
> > believe there's any similar non-API-acrobatically-intensive way to do
> > (2) above. As for the limit, it's generally a poor design choice if
> > you need to have loads of tabs and will likely result in disastrous
> > performance due to the way the tab control acts as a container for
> > objects on each page.
>
> > I tested the numerical limit using:
>
> > Public Sub test()
>
> >     Dim i As Integer
> >     Dim frm As Form
> >     Set frm = Forms("Form1")
>
> >     Do
> >         i = i + 1
> >         frm.TabCtl0.Pages.Add
> >         Debug.Print i
> >     Loop
>
> > End Sub
>
> > .... and it started to slow down (adding one page a second) at around
> > 160 tabs. FYI, you can only tab pages in design view.
>
> > Hope this helps,
> > James

Dale you are completely right... not enough coffee today. :-)
Excellent tip on the sourceobject, too...
0
Minton

ActiveX Controls moving upon print/printpreview
I am running Excel 2002 w/ SP3. My ActiveX controls are moving towards the left side automatically for some reason upon pressing print/print preview. Can you please help me. Read this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838910 Controls move to the left of the worksheet in Microsoft Exce�l 2002 -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Steven Cheng" <StevenCheng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA4DFA82-670D-4C93-9645-A5F8AB7E14D8@microsoft.com... >I am running Excel 2002 w/ SP3. My ActiveX controls are moving towards th...

Previous date in List Question
Hello, I have a vertical list of dates in a column, that are designed not to have weekends or holidays in them. They are also in order. In cell A1 I have a date. What formula can I put in cell B2 that will lookup the column of dates, and return the day in the list before the date mentioned in A1? Its some combination of offset and vlookup I believe.... Cheers Here's one way: =INDEX(DateList,MATCH(A1,DateList,0)-1) Format B2 as date. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser MVP Excel Followup to newsgroup only please. "SPR" <spr@mail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:12d0...

Tab Order in a Contact Form
I created a custom form, adding both buit-in fields and custom fields to the General page. However, when I go to Layout/Tab Order, only the built-in fields that exist on the built-in Contact form show up in the list. Is there any way for me to get the other built-in and custom fields to show up in the Tab Order list? Thanks, Shannon All controls (note: not fields) should appear in the tab order, but if you put some inside a frame, that frame will have its own tab order. Select the frame, then invoked the Tab Order dialog. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues...

Combine tabs from multiple workbooks into one
I was given twelve workbooks (one for each month). Each workbook has one tab. What is the fastest way to combine the twelve workbooks (thus the twelve tabs) into a single workbook? I can open each workbook and move each tab individually, I just thought there might be a more efficient way. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Hi Alayna See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Alayna" <Alayna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCBB3B63-84D1-48BD-86D3-7F1D72E99C1C@microsoft.com... >I was given twelve workbooks...

MFC MDI question
Hi, I'm developing an MDI application. I would like to keep all MDI child windows maximized at all times, so I have disabled the maximize and the minimize boxes by removing WS_MAXMIMIZEBOX and WS_MINIMIZEBOX from the frame window's style in the PreCreate method. However, there's still a Restore Window button... I haven't figured out how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance for any help Finn Arildsen this is the code that AppWIzard produces when you have no buttons ( maximize , minimize , restore ) on child frame.. BOOL CChildFrame::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& c...

Exchange tasks tab on domain controllers
When we were running Exchange 2K, I could add a mailbox from any domain controller, but can't now that we've migrated to Exchange 2K3. Was this a function of connection agreements in Exchange 2K/5.5? Is there any way to re-enable this functionality? Thx. Phil: Thanks much. Is it my imagination, or are details like that hard to find? P >-----Original Message----- >On the domain controllers that are not running Exchange run the Exchange 2003 CD install on them. Install the management tools option. This will enable the tabs in AD on that domain controller. And, yes, ...

Using For....Next with Form Controls
I have got 3 label controls on a form; each label control has it own name (list below) - lbl_div_nbr_1 - lbl_div_name_1 - lbl_div_charge_1 These set of 3 labels are then repeats 3 times on the same form, with the name being the only thing that changes e.g. - lbl_div_nbr_2 - lbl_div_name_2 - lbl_div_charge_2 - lbl_div_nbr_3 - lbl_div_name_3 - lbl_div_charge_3 I would like to use a For….next statement to look through and set the values on these labels and make them visible, rather than having to write out 9 separate statements to do this, but my code below isn’t...

Icons change on IE tabs when using tabbed browsing
I've recently begun experiencing issues with the icons assigned to a site being changed on the tabs during tabbed browsing. For example, when clicking on NOAA on my favorites bar to look at weather from the NOAA site, I began getting the Wells Fargo icon on those tabs. The icon is still okay on my favorites bar, but now consistently shows the WF icon on tabs. I tried reassigning a new icon to NOAA, and it seemed okay for a while, but now I'm back to getting WF icons on NOAA tabs. This morning I had a lot of tabs open and suddenly my Fidelity icon was replaced by the Y...

Email Tracking Tab
A gentleman I work with has his setup so he can go into his Sent Items and look at the tracking tabs on the messages. He's had this setup and working for some time now, but recently this is no longer working. He has delivery and read receipts requested for anything he sends. I can't find any logical reason why he does not have the tracking tab anymore. I thought maybe it only applied to messages sent to multiple recipients, but I sent test messages and it didn't make any difference. Did he already process the returned Exchange receipts? When they are marked as read and ...

Migration Question #5
Hello I have 2 SBS 2K3. One is hosting our web sites and exchange email. I would like to move all user accounts and email boxes as well as exchange config to the new server. How can I do this? Any help would be great. Thanks. -- Tom Cimino Cimino Brothers produce tom@broccoli.net 831-751-9150 ...

tab not tabbing to next cell
Tab button is moving to next page, not next cell. Is there a setting for this somewhere ? Lynn, It's trying to act like Lotus 123. Tools - Options - Transition - Transition navigation keys. Turn it off. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "lynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:231f01c3a92f$c1d56290$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Tab button is moving to next page, not next cell. Is there > a setting for this somewhere ? Perfect. Thanks ! >-----Original Message----- ...

new outlook user has questions
I have finally taken the plunge from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003, mostly for the Calendar functionality. I have some questions that I have been unable to find answers for and am grateful in advance for any help you provide. 1) How do I create a second identity with a separate folder structure as can be done in OE? Whenever I create a second e-mail account all messages get mixed in the same Inbox. 2) Is there a keyboard shortcut available to view all headers of a message? I have had to right-click on a message and choose Properties to see them. 3) The current day in the monthly Calend...

Controling Acrobat PDFs
I am trying to find out if there is a way to control PDFs through an Excel macro. Here is the scenario: I have a folder named "Page 1" that contains 100 PDFs. I also have a folder named "Page 2" with 100 PDFs. In an Excel worksheet, I have a list of all the Page 1 file names and the corresponding Page 2 for each. I want to open each Page 1 document, insert the appropriate Page 2 document, and save them to a third folder "Page 1-2". Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have. Hi I'd start searching the Adobe support homepage (...

XML Query Question
Hi, I have the following node within a xml document. <Results> <Result> <RecordID>1</RecordID> ... </Result> <Result> <RecordID>2</RecordID> ... </Result> <Result> <RecordID>1</RecordID> ... </Result> </Results> I am currently parsing this document using XMLDocument and looping through the Result nodes. I need to group the nodes by recordID. And compare to the records. How do I do this? Thanks xmlDocument.selectNodes("XP...

dumb data type question
i have a field [SortOrder] which is data type - number field size - decimal format - standard precision - 8 decimal places - 2 however, whn in datasheet view, if if enter a numer (let's say; 150.10, Access immediately changes it to 150.00 Sorry to say, i give up, could someone tell me what i am doing wrong? -mark (when i first created this atble, the field [SortOrder] had an incorrect data type of text; which was subsequently changed to number after a small amount of data had already been entered...) Mark A side curiosity ... if the field ...

Tab order after using pop up calendar on date field
After selecting a value in a date field by using the pop up calendar, the tab order on the screen sometimes goes to the first dollar sign ($) on the screen and tabs through each dollar sign until the last one is reached and then starts tabbing through the fields starting with the first one instead of just tabbing to the next field. This happens if the cursor was in a text or number field and the value in the field was not selected (highlighted) when the calendar button was pushed. If the date was typed in to the date field (as apposed to selected using the pop up calendar) then the su...

IRA Account Question
I am using MS Money 2006 Premium, switching over recently from Quicken. Early in the year, I rolled a 401K from a previous job into an IRA and entered this into Money as an IRA. I am not currently contributing to it, so the only change in the account is the monthly interest. I am struggling with the way Money handles all this. When looking at "Dave's IRA Holdings" I see the following: 1. Under Account Summary, it says "The account currently has in investments in it. You can add a new investment here." 2. Under Investment Transactions, it shows no transactions, with th...

Controlling Instances of Excel Application with external application
I have a various instances of a robust Excel XP application running on server. They are always running (they service different clients in a ASP web application) and they perform a variety of tasks (includin reporting stats/usage to a SQL Server) and make extensive use of VB and addins. Unfortunately the applications 'hang' once in a while an logging into the server to close instances or restart them is a pain. To that end, I am attempting to write a VB or VB.Net application tha can interface with these applications (poll them, open new instance with specified paths/files, shut them ...

tab order #8
can you specify a tab order in excel? for example. can I specify the folowwing tab order: b1 b2 b3 b4 b10 b11 b12 and ofcourse how? gracias -- daolb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ daolb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=382504 Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "daolb" <daolb.1raiyc_1119884723.3538@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:daolb.1raiy...

activeX control problem with mouse event
I've written an activeX control and when i test it in the test container all the mouse event i told it to do (e.g. OnMouseMove, OnLButtonDown, etc.) works. However, when i use it on a MFC program that i'm writing, none of the mouse events work when i run the program. any one has any idea as to what's causing this? or How to fix it? Thank a bunch! ...

Math question #2
I've got this range that contains values from a lot of samples. They are all about the same, but some are much too big because of faulty measurement. Let say the range contains values like: 30,35,28,123,31,35,29 Everybody can see that the 123 is not a valid sample. But how can i tell Excel that? I need to have the average of this range without the wrong values. Excel should look at the list and only use: 30,35,28,31,35,29 This is a large list of values and i need this solution for more than one type of measurement. Is there a way to filter the values that don't fit in the range? Tha...

Tab from one page to the next page in Tab Control
I'm stumped!! How do you get your tabs to go from one page in tab control to the next page? Right now, when I get to the bottom of the page, it tabs back to the top. I am using Access 2003 with Windows XP. I want to be able to tab from one page to the next as I complete my form. Any help is appreciated. -- retired_vol You'll need to use code to set the focus to the first control on the second tab in the LostFocus event of the last control on the first tab: Private Sub Control1_LostFocus() Me.Control2.SetFocus End Sub -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSte...

worksheet tab size
I have an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets running on a HMI touchscreen display terminal. The sheet tab height is too small for easy selection with the touch screen. Changing the default font size increases the height of cells, but doesn't affect the sheet tabs. Is there any way (other than changing the display's resolution) to increase the size of the sheet tabs? >-----Original Message----- >I have an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets running >on a HMI touchscreen display terminal. The sheet tab >height is too small for easy selection with the tou...

Date Question #2
I am creating a worksheet that will last specific dates in column B. In Colum C I want it to just list the month. There is going to be about 20-100 lines for each day, so i guess i want to use a formula that says if b6 = 1/15/2006 then in column c6 put January, etc. Is that possible? Try this formula =IF(B1<>"",TEXT(MONTH(B1),"mmmm"),"") or =IF(B1<>"",B1,"") and format cell as "mmmm" -- daddylonglegs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ daddylonglegs's Profile: http://...

Money 2007 Home and Biz Budget Question
I've gone through and budgeted each of my individual expense and income categories in the Savings and Spending Budget. However, under the Committed and Fun Budget Groups, there is a very large Unallocated balance. I can't figure out how to get rid of it, or how to backtrack to somehow correct the problem. The amount is very large and is really throwing my overall budget and Lifetime Planner completely out of whack. Any help is appreciated! Steve The budgeting within 2007 is NOT an improvement from earlier versions. Where is the option to used the advanced budget? Some of ...