Sorting filtered list on form with a Command Button

I have a form CLIENTLIST.  When I open this form it runs the query
qryClientLst.  One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria
"Like [Enter Client Number]".  When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted
to "Enter Client Number".  When I do the form opens and only the files with
the client number I entered appear.  So basically it's a filtered form.  All
of this works fine.

I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users
can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending.  Below is my code
for this.  My only problem is when I click on the command button, I get the
prompted to [Enter Client Number] again.

If I remove the prompted from the query qryClientLst so it displays all
records when I open the form, everything works fine.  But I need it to sort
the filtered list.

Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
  If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "Desc" Then
    Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]"
  Else
    Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]" & " Desc"
  End If
  Me.OrderByOn = True
End Sub

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

LDMueller

wouldn't it be easier to set the sort option in the query as well?
--
Maurice Ausum

"LDMueller" wrote:

> I have a form CLIENTLIST.  When I open this form it runs the query
> qryClientLst.  One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria
> "Like [Enter Client Number]".  When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted
> to "Enter Client Number".  When I do the form opens and only the files with
> the client number I entered appear.  So basically it's a filtered form.  All
> of this works fine.
>
> I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users
> can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending.  Below is my code
> for this.  My only problem is when I click on the command button, I get the
> prompted to [Enter Client Number] again.
>
> If I remove the prompted from the query qryClientLst so it displays all
> records when I open the form, everything works fine.  But I need it to sort
> the filtered list.
>
> Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
>   If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "Desc" Then
>     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]"
>   Else
>     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]" & " Desc"
>   End If
>   Me.OrderByOn = True
> End Sub
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LDMueller
You are reprompted because the form has to re-run the query to sort it.

One possibility would be to open the form without any filtering and have a
combo box where the user could select from a list of Client Numbers. In the
after update event of the combo box, change the form's query to filter by the
value selected in the combo box. Then, when you execute the sort, the query
will still read the value in the combo box.

I hope this makes sense. If you need help with how to set something like
that up, post back with the SQL from qryClientLst and I will do my best to
help you set something up.

HTH,
Chris
"LDMueller" wrote:

> I have a form CLIENTLIST.  When I open this form it runs the query
> qryClientLst.  One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria
> "Like [Enter Client Number]".  When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted
> to "Enter Client Number".  When I do the form opens and only the files with
> the client number I entered appear.  So basically it's a filtered form.  All
> of this works fine.
>
> I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users
> can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending.  Below is my code
> for this.  My only problem is when I click on the command button, I get the
> prompted to [Enter Client Number] again.
>
> If I remove the prompted from the query qryClientLst so it displays all
> records when I open the form, everything works fine.  But I need it to sort
> the filtered list.
>
> Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
>   If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "Desc" Then
>     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]"
>   Else
>     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]" & " Desc"
>   End If
>   Me.OrderByOn = True
> End Sub
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LDMueller
Hi Maurice,

When I described my problem I tried to simplify it.  Above each column in my
form I have sort buttons which toggle between ascending and descending so my
user can click a button above any column and resort it quickly.  So putting
it in the query isn't an option.

Thanks!

"Maurice" wrote:

> wouldn't it be easier to set the sort option in the query as well?
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "LDMueller" wrote:
>
> > I have a form CLIENTLIST.  When I open this form it runs the query
> > qryClientLst.  One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria
> > "Like [Enter Client Number]".  When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted
> > to "Enter Client Number".  When I do the form opens and only the files with
> > the client number I entered appear.  So basically it's a filtered form.  All
> > of this works fine.
> >
> > I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users
> > can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending.  Below is my code
> > for this.  My only problem is when I click on the command button, I get the
> > prompted to [Enter Client Number] again.
> >
> > If I remove the prompted from the query qryClientLst so it displays all
> > records when I open the form, everything works fine.  But I need it to sort
> > the filtered list.
> >
> > Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
> >   If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "Desc" Then
> >     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]"
> >   Else
> >     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]" & " Desc"
> >   End If
> >   Me.OrderByOn = True
> > End Sub
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > LDMueller
Well that piece of information explains a lot.  Thank you for this.

My SQL code is as follows:

SELECT IDSStat.IDSID, IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom, IDSStat.DktSheetAtty,
IDSStat.[30Day], IDSStat.DateSelect, IDSStat.MtrPosRel, IDSStat.RespAtty,
IDSStat.FilSuIDS, IDSStat.SupIDSFil, IDSStat.ActType, IDSStat.Notes,
Patents.Matter, Patents.RespAtty, Patents.OtherAtty, Patents.SuprAtty
FROM Patents RIGHT JOIN IDSStat ON Patents.Matter = IDSStat.MtrPosRel
WHERE (((IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom) Like [Enter Client Number]))
ORDER BY IDSStat.IDSID, IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom;

Thanks,

LDMueller

"Chris" wrote:

> You are reprompted because the form has to re-run the query to sort it.
>
> One possibility would be to open the form without any filtering and have a
> combo box where the user could select from a list of Client Numbers. In the
> after update event of the combo box, change the form's query to filter by the
> value selected in the combo box. Then, when you execute the sort, the query
> will still read the value in the combo box.
>
> I hope this makes sense. If you need help with how to set something like
> that up, post back with the SQL from qryClientLst and I will do my best to
> help you set something up.
>
> HTH,
> Chris
> "LDMueller" wrote:
>
> > I have a form CLIENTLIST.  When I open this form it runs the query
> > qryClientLst.  One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria
> > "Like [Enter Client Number]".  When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted
> > to "Enter Client Number".  When I do the form opens and only the files with
> > the client number I entered appear.  So basically it's a filtered form.  All
> > of this works fine.
> >
> > I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users
> > can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending.  Below is my code
> > for this.  My only problem is when I click on the command button, I get the
> > prompted to [Enter Client Number] again.
> >
> > If I remove the prompted from the query qryClientLst so it displays all
> > records when I open the form, everything works fine.  But I need it to sort
> > the filtered list.
> >
> > Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
> >   If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "Desc" Then
> >     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]"
> >   Else
> >     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]" & " Desc"
> >   End If
> >   Me.OrderByOn = True
> > End Sub
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > LDMueller
Remove the Where clause from the query to get:
SELECT IDSStat.IDSID, IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom, IDSStat.DktSheetAtty,
IDSStat.[30Day], IDSStat.DateSelect, IDSStat.MtrPosRel, IDSStat.RespAtty,
IDSStat.FilSuIDS, IDSStat.SupIDSFil, IDSStat.ActType, IDSStat.Notes,
Patents.Matter, Patents.RespAtty, Patents.OtherAtty, Patents.SuprAtty
FROM Patents RIGHT JOIN IDSStat ON Patents.Matter = IDSStat.MtrPosRel
ORDER BY IDSStat.IDSID, IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom;

Place a combo box on the form (I usually put it in the form header). Name it
something like cboClientNumber. Set the rowsource property to "SELECT
DISTINCTIDSStat.MtrRefsFrom FROM IDSStat;"

In the after update event of the combo box, put the following code:
Me.FilterOn = False 'This line is here because if you have already set the
filter, you may
                              'get an error if you change the filter without
turning it off first
Me.Filter = "WHERE [MtrRefsFrom] = " & Me.cboClientNumber.Value
Me.FilterOn = True

This should work.

Chris
"LDMueller" wrote:

> Well that piece of information explains a lot.  Thank you for this.
>
> My SQL code is as follows:
>
> SELECT IDSStat.IDSID, IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom, IDSStat.DktSheetAtty,
> IDSStat.[30Day], IDSStat.DateSelect, IDSStat.MtrPosRel, IDSStat.RespAtty,
> IDSStat.FilSuIDS, IDSStat.SupIDSFil, IDSStat.ActType, IDSStat.Notes,
> Patents.Matter, Patents.RespAtty, Patents.OtherAtty, Patents.SuprAtty
> FROM Patents RIGHT JOIN IDSStat ON Patents.Matter = IDSStat.MtrPosRel
> WHERE (((IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom) Like [Enter Client Number]))
> ORDER BY IDSStat.IDSID, IDSStat.MtrRefsFrom;
>
> Thanks,
>
> LDMueller
>
> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > You are reprompted because the form has to re-run the query to sort it.
> >
> > One possibility would be to open the form without any filtering and have a
> > combo box where the user could select from a list of Client Numbers. In the
> > after update event of the combo box, change the form's query to filter by the
> > value selected in the combo box. Then, when you execute the sort, the query
> > will still read the value in the combo box.
> >
> > I hope this makes sense. If you need help with how to set something like
> > that up, post back with the SQL from qryClientLst and I will do my best to
> > help you set something up.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Chris
> > "LDMueller" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a form CLIENTLIST.  When I open this form it runs the query
> > > qryClientLst.  One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria
> > > "Like [Enter Client Number]".  When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted
> > > to "Enter Client Number".  When I do the form opens and only the files with
> > > the client number I entered appear.  So basically it's a filtered form.  All
> > > of this works fine.
> > >
> > > I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users
> > > can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending.  Below is my code
> > > for this.  My only problem is when I click on the command button, I get the
> > > prompted to [Enter Client Number] again.
> > >
> > > If I remove the prompted from the query qryClientLst so it displays all
> > > records when I open the form, everything works fine.  But I need it to sort
> > > the filtered list.
> > >
> > > Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
> > >   If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "Desc" Then
> > >     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]"
> > >   Else
> > >     Me.OrderBy = "[ClientID]" & " Desc"
> > >   End If
> > >   Me.OrderByOn = True
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > LDMueller

Linking Outlook fields from the "Contact Folder" to a custom form in Outlook...
Using Exchange Server 2003/Outlook 2003, we have created a custom Help Desk form in Outlook. We would like the ability to link specific fields from the Contacts Folder (Example B), in a drop-down list box if possible. We are far from knowing that something like this is even possible. Would appreciate *any* suggestions. Thank you. ...

handler for toolbar button
in Visual Studion 2003, I added a new toolbar button to the IDR_MAINFRAME toolbar, and I need to add a handler for it in the CFormView derived class that handles my view, how do you go about it? RPG wrote: > in Visual Studion 2003, I added a new toolbar button to the > IDR_MAINFRAME toolbar, and I need to add a handler for it in > the CFormView derived class that handles my view, how do you go about it? There is no facility to add a handler from a toolbar button. Toolbar buttons should only reflect what is available in a menu, this way you don't require your client to rea...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

"An unexpected error has occurred" when sending from distribution lists
I have set up a new computer, installed Outlook 2002 on it and migrated my files to it from the previous computer. Now whenever I attempt to send an email addressed via one of my distribution lists, I get an error message (An unexpected error has occurred). I also see two Contacts folders in the Add Address List in the Tools/options in the address book. I did change the location of the Outlook pst files, did I confuse something or ? Any ideas? Nothing in the Knowledge base helped Thanks. ...

Force Form to finish Loading before running Code
Sorry Folks ... Pulling my hair out here ... I have a for that loads and after load I want it to un a query. Problem is that the query always launched before the form has completed loading. I have tried using the Form_Activate option as suggested in another post amopngst a number of others Is there an easy way to force the Form to load First -- Many Thanks Alan At what point do you want the query to run? What does the query do? -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Alan" wrote: > Sorry Folks ... Pulling my hair out here ... I have a for that loads and > after load ...

How to sort account list?

Sharing Calendar with personal distribution list
I have been asked to find a way for our employees to be able to share their calendars with their personal distribution lists. Is this possible? Thanks! Wes Answered your other post -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "stahlerw" <stahlerw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63AEEC9D-6B3C-4A78-98C8-377EAE074E78@microsoft.com... >I have been asked to find a way for our employees to be able to share their &g...

Prevent user to close tabbed form
rI use the tabbed form layout in access 2007, i.e. I went to Access options ->current database and chose "Tabbed documents". One form is a startup fom and the main menu of my application. By right-clicking on the main menu tab the user can choose "Close" and the main menu is shut down. How can I prevent the user from closing down the main menu form of my application? Regards On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:56:07 -0700, Tore <tore@nospam.nospam> wrote: I would argue that if they close it, you should close the whole application. If we prevent the user fro...

Macro filter on query
I need to run 8 append and update queries using the same date range. I created a Form with the "Month" field as the filter and a command button to run the macro to run the Append & Update queries for records in the month range. I can't get the Apply Filter macro to work on the Query Date field. Any suggestions? Apply Filter action will not do what you seek. Your queries must have a WHERE clause that refers in some way to the textbox on the form where you've entered the Month value/data that you want to use in the queries. To assist you further, you need to post ...

Row names will not move with sort

Rules and filters.txt
1) If filters.txt is really just a readme file to demo what Outlook is doing, where are the actual entries stored in Outlook 2002 ? In a text file, like "Junk Senders.txt" ? Or the Registry ? I can see it is the outlfltr.dat for 2003. But where is it in Outlook 2002 ? 2) These 3 rules fall into 2 Types: - Content: Adult Content Rule, Junk E-Mail Rule - Exceptions: Exception List I'm having difficulty interpreting the implementation of the "Exceptions List" rule. If it represents the exceptions to who or what may use junk or adult criteria, th...

sorts not sorting

Cannot remove Intelligent Message Filter Ver 1 to install EX2K3-Sp2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C5E563.9D2EF330 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, When trying to install SP2 on Exchange 2003, I got the flag that I = needed to remove the Intelligent Message Filter before preceeding, no = problem says I. However, on inspection there is no uninstall. On = running setup from the Intelligent Message Filter install, in hopes to = uninstall it from there, I get an unexpected error - code 2755, which = probably means that it found that it was alread...

import- number- sort?

multi criteria filter
Hi, If i want to filter a single column to only show A G, J, and P ( i choose these letters as they cant be lumped together as a range) how would i do that in a maro or VB Any tips appreciated Cheers Deus -- DNE You could do it using Data|Advanced filter using a criteria range. Record a macro when you do it once and you'll have the code. Debra Dalgleish has some tips for working with Advanced Filter here: http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html Another option would be to use a helper column that contains formulas that return true/false and then filter that column to show the ...

Form elements into xml
Hi, I've been asked to write a generic function/class to scan posted forms and generate a xml document as follow: 1. page1.aspx (or asp) posts to process.aspx 2. process.aspx calls a function that scans the form(s) and generates a xml from elements and values(entered by user) of the form. I thought it might be better to ask you guys and you may know a function or class in the framework that already does this and put me on the right track. Thanks for you time Regards Mehdi ...

sorting macro #3

how2: show contact name and phone fields in task list
It would be useful if I could display contact name and phone number fields in my task list. In Simple View I've used Field Chooser to insert these columns into the table .. but alas! the fields are blank. Can I do what I want to do and .. how? thanks Any folder view shows only the data in that folder, even though Outlook lets you think otherwise by allowing you to add fields from different types of items in the folder. You may be able to accomplish what you want, however, with a little custom VBA code. For an example, see http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=566 -- Su...

Sorting checking register

Passing a value from subform or main form to subform query
I am using MS ACCESS 2003 I have a main form and a subform that pulls up an existing case for the user to update the information already entered. The subform is designed and opens up in form view not in datasheet view. The subform knows which case to pull in based on the case number on the main form The textboxes on the main form are bound fields from a query. The user enters an ID which is how the main form query knows which record to pull and it works. The textboxes on the subform are bound with data from a different query (so I have a query for each form) The que...

Supplier List and Sales Report
I am trying to build a report that lists all items for a given supplier, and then lists sales quantities (including zeros for items not sold) within a given timeframe. My attempts so far have allowed be to list all items for a supplier with sales for all time, but the minute I put a timeframe for the sales in place I lose items that have not been sold from the list. Does anyone know where I can find such a report or have any suggestions that would allow me to complete it? Thanks, Holly What report did you base it off of? Detailed Sales with a filter on the Supplier field will giv...

Manager can update membership list check box
Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active Directory Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager can update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab) appears? So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their desktops. Thanks, Mindy Mindy: ADUC is probably overkill for just managing distribution group memberships. Can the manager just manage them through Outlook by selecting the properti...