Repost: Will not save until ESC or Undo

Hi All, (Sorry for the repost, but it is urgent)
I created an application starting with the Time and Billing template.
Originally I had the data going into SharePoint but SP could not handle the
data (local rules).  Now the back-end is in SQL Server 2005, but I digress.
The problem seems to be in the forms.  When I create a new record in the
Project List form (Split form with datasheet showing) i must move to the next
field and hit escape or undo before the record saves.  It is also now doing
this in my details form (Single Form).  I went through the steps for fixing
corruption, including creating a new database shell and importing all of my
objects.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Bound records are not saved until the data moves to the next record. If you
want to save them sooner, you must do it manually.

Try using:

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

or

If Me.Dirty = True Then Me.Dirty = False

both of which will save your record.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Nick X" <Nicknnator (no) @ (spam) aol.123com> wrote in message
> Hi All, (Sorry for the repost, but it is urgent)
> I created an application starting with the Time and Billing template.
> Originally I had the data going into SharePoint but SP could not handle
> the
> data (local rules).  Now the back-end is in SQL Server 2005, but I
> digress.
> The problem seems to be in the forms.  When I create a new record in the
> Project List form (Split form with datasheet showing) i must move to the
> next
> field and hit escape or undo before the record saves.  It is also now
> doing
> this in my details form (Single Form).  I went through the steps for
> fixing
> corruption, including creating a new database shell and importing all of
> my
> objects.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

0
Arvin
12/16/2009 12:07:18 AM
>>When I create a new record in the Project List form (Split form with data=
sheet showing) i must move to the next field and hit escape or undo before =
the record saves. =A0It is also now doing this in my details form (Single F=
orm).

Sorry, I didn't give you my complete thought there.  Access will not
allow me to tab out of the record or click out of the record (which is
where Access would commit the changes and save, correct?).  Once I
reach the last field in the record, the cursor will not move to the
next record.  This is an ODBC database with SQL Server 2005 on the
back-end.  When I make a change, I click or tab into the next field
and then I can hit ESC or Undo and the record is then saved (the
"Edit" pencil disappears from the record selector).
Up until now this has been only an annoyance because of the low volume
of users.  But today I am training the IT staff how to use the app to
track their Projects and Time.  We all know how tough IT folks can be
on even the smallest detail.

Thanks for your time,
Nick
0
NickX
12/16/2009 1:29:52 PM
....and technically when I undo or hit ESC the record should go away,
but it saves instead and clears the undo history (can't undo).  things
that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm!?
0
NickX
12/16/2009 2:42:59 PM
"NickX" <nicknnator@aol.com> wrote in message
> ...and technically when I undo or hit ESC the record should go away,
> but it saves instead and clears the undo history (can't undo).  things
> that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm!?

In order to Undo or Esc from the entire record, you need to do it twice.
Hitting ESC just once, undoes the last field.

Do you have any required fields? I'm thinking that not being able to save
may be because of that. Did you try the code I offered in my first post?
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
12/16/2009 6:49:05 PM
Arvin,
Thanks for your help.  I found the culprit:

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()

    ModifiedByGroup = [Forms]![frmIdentity]![Division_Group]
    Modified = Format(Now())
    ModifiedBy = fOSUserName()

End Sub

Apparently it does not like the "ModifiedByGroup" portion of the
code.  What would be an appropriate alternative to update this value?

Thanks,
Nick
0
NickX
12/21/2009 1:19:12 PM
On Dec 21, 8:19=A0am, NickX <nicknna...@aol.com> wrote:
> Arvin,
> Thanks for your help. =A0I found the culprit:
>
> Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
>
> =A0 =A0 ModifiedByGroup =3D [Forms]![frmIdentity]![Division_Group]
> =A0 =A0 Modified =3D Format(Now())
> =A0 =A0 ModifiedBy =3D fOSUserName()
>
> End Sub
>
> Apparently it does not like the "ModifiedByGroup" portion of the
> code. =A0What would be an appropriate alternative to update this value?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

(BeforeUpdate seems to work)
0
NickX

Outlook will not open #11
I have had difficulty installing Winfax pro 10 and to day I cannot open Outlook. I cannot uninstall Winfax due to programme not finding the unistall file. I do not know where to start. any help would be most appreciated I have just discovered that I have lost all my printers and cannot print at all "belto" <belto@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:QyATf.198708$Q22.58815@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk... >I have had difficulty installing Winfax pro 10 and to day I cannot open >Outlook. > I cannot uninstall Winfax due to programme not finding the unistall file. &...

repost; Automatically updating formulae in multiple sheets
I list sales of 20+ products each week for the year A2-A23 are the products and B-BA are the colums for each week I have multiple sheets that have the same sales results in the same format foreach previous year 2004;2003;2002;2001;2000 Each week I want to compare total sales in the year to date i.e weeks 1-20 with weeks 1-20 in each previous year. so next week it will be 1-21. I have on each sheet a cumulative total for each of the 20 products in the year to date i.e Cell A25=SUMB2:BA2 and Cell A26=SUMB3:BA3 and so on for each product. This means each week I have to alter the formula in C...

Save Chart as EMF File for Import into Word
Hello, I've successfully been exporting a series of dynamically generated charts from Excel to GIF (I'm programming in VSTO) using code like: Me.Application.ActiveChart.Export("C:\mygraph.gif","GIF") I now need to export these same charts to EMF or WMF so that they can be imported into Word and printed in high quality documents. I've been trying the following, but with no luck: Me.Application.ActiveChart.CopyPicture(Excel.XlPictureAppearance.xlScreen, Excel.XlCopyPictureFormat.xlPicture, Excel.XlPictureAppearance.xlScreen) Dim d As ...

IE will not launch
In the last week, I have not been able to launch IE8. I have XP, SP3. I have tried Resetting IE Settings. That didn't work. I have tried starting with No Add-Ons. That didn't work either. Should I just remove the program and download it anew? Hi Willie, Try, Start>Control Panel>Internet Options - General tab, set your homepage to about:blank. Remove any secondary homepages. Start IE normally. If still no luck, start IE in no-Addons mode. If still no luck post back and we can direct you to a MS Fixit that will do a bit more than just reset your I...

Repost
I sent his message earlier but have not been able to view it from here so I apologize if it has already been answered. I had heard that the refresh was released sometime last week but have received no notification from MS about it. When will I know? Will MS send an email to everyone that purchased the Beta 2 Kit? I have clicked "Check for Updates" but there is no information there. All I get is "All your office products are up to date". Thanks for reading. Hi Robin, I have the following URL to view, nothing more. http://officebeta.microsoft.com/home/default.aspx I rea...

How can I save an attachment to process it automatically?
I receive a data file via e-mail each night. I want to have it automatically saved so my databse system can import it and process it automatically before anyone arrives at work. There are some third party addins listed at http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm that may be able to do what you want. There may be some additional addins listed on other Slipstick pages -- do a search for "attachment". -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** ...

crime scene add in will not install
have installed visio 2003 standard. downloaded crime scene add-in. unzip ok.run exe ok until try to install to destination visio 11 - message reads 'can't find visio.ini in destination directory'. result = no add in. office build is 2002. anyone got an idea what's going on? i did notice that this add-in is dated 97. Crime Scenes does not work with Visio 2003, though this is mainly an installation issue. I have heard some people were able to get this to work by creating a blank visio.ini file, but I am not sure of the steps. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microso...

Had to repost it!!!
Query: Say i have multiple sheets dated 04/01/10 to 04/30/10, each contain names, say A, B, C, D, etc... but these name does not appear in the same order in each sheet. Now data is in time format in front of A, B, C, D, etc. Eg. in sheet 04/01/10 A1 B1 A 1:00:00 D 1:53:00 C 2:45:00 like this data in other sheet till 04/30/10. Now in a new sheet i want this data to be collated in time format in front of the individual sorted in Alphabetical order. Also it should give me the Sum of the data. Is it possible and how? Thanks in advance for the help!...

spreadsheet will not load
hello there. i have a spreadsheet that is located on my hard drive. when i click on it, excel opens up but the data and tool bars will not load. also when i look at the location of the spreadsheet it shows a preview of it but nothing when trying to open it. thx in advance Hi........... Maybe try to copy the file to a floppy and try to open it on another computer........and if you don't have access to another computer, you're welcome to send a copy of it to my home addy and I will try to open it for you..........(don't post it to the newsgroup, please) Another thing you m...

saving to an older version
I am trying to save a publisher 2002 file to 2000 version. It won't allow me to save it in this version! (have done the file-save as-thing in the menu but it says it cannot save the file) Anybody have any ideas? I am desperate! Lots of images? Publisher 2000 does not use image compression, could be the file is too large to convert. The WordArt is different as well. The Publisher 2002 format is typically only 40 % of the size of the same publication in the Publisher 2000 format. The following article may address your issue. The program stops responding when you try to open the "...

Sequential File Saving
Hi I would like to know if it possible to have a piece of visual basic code that when executed will perform a "save as" with a sequential number. That is to say each time you run the code it has for example "save as" 00001.xls, 00002.xls, 00003.xls etc etc. Also where should I should place the code. I am running Windows 2000, with Excel 2000. Thanks John Hi John one way (using cell A1 on sheet1 to store this number) would be the following macro (for getting started with macros see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm) sub save_me_seq() dim fname w...

Repost
My question may have something to do with this. I have 6 email accounts set up in Outlook 2003 (as I did in Outlook 2002). Only one (pop) is set to automatically send and receive, but Hotmail (only one http) sends and receives ANYWAY, even though in mail settings, there is a clear "red X" on Hotmail. I guess the beauty of 2003 is that the ongoing problem I had with 2003 on two computers with mulitple Outlooks running seems to be gone. ...

Documents saved as templates
I have saved a book as a template. Now, whenever opened, it appears in the screen as a smaller window, (which I don't know how to expand). Is it possible to expand this window, and how? Also, I cannot see definite advantages to the use of templates. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Alfons If the worksheet window is less than maximized, then you can double click on the worksheet title bar to maximize that window within excel's application window. If you use a template to create a new workbook (file|new), then each new workbook would look like the template and since the original templa...

View settings for open/save dialogs ?
Helo, Running windows 7 pro 64bit. I want to select certain icon view setting for open/save dialogs for all files/dirs. For now I was able to set custom view for certain file/dir - but all others are forced details view. I want to set them all at once and permanently. How do I do that ? Main explorer window customizes ok. thanks Vilius ...

Saving to CD from Publisher
Help! First time Publisher user... trying to do a rush school yearbook project for 50 kids... I am using the Microsoft Office Package version, so not full version of Publisher?, preinstalled on my computer with the Office 2003 package and Windows xp 2002 version OP. When I try to save my 12 page project to D drive (which I use all the time to save and to and from) it says: "Incorrect Function" and then new box "You do not have access to the folder "d". See your administrator for access to this folder." HOW FRUSTRATION... I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR OF MY COMPUTER...

Sequential Number Generator, Saving, and Linking
Hello, not totally familiar with Excel and trying to accomplish th following within our sales department: 1. We have two basic Excel files that we have to access on a share drive every time we issue a quotation: FILE A: This is an Excel quotation form already built. FILE B: This lists out the existing quotations that have been issued listed by reference number. It includes basic fields like 'Sale Person', 'Product' and 'Date', etc. Every time we issues a quote we fill out the nessary information i FILE A, reference FILE B to determine the next sequential number. W s...

REPOST:
I am able to post to newsgroups, but when I tried to Reply Group to a message I posted (replying to myself) I got a dialog box with three buttons, a check box, and an "I" icon. There is, however, no text in the dialog box, on the checkbox or on the buttons! Clicking any (or all) of the buttons has no apparent affect. The dialog only goes away if I click the "X" in the corner and it never sends my reply. I am using the newsreader built in to Outlook. -Will T You're using Outlook Express, accessed from Outlook. I think it's the initial warning that what you ar...

DATE update, on Save?
The only file, (in Doc Libr), does not have today's date. ? Is there some setting I need to make? ...

Excel will not recognise Macro
Ladies & Gentlemen, A small problem which is either me being stupid or Excel. I have borrowed some code from David McRichie's site which I have then pasted into a Module in the VBA Editor window. When I click on the Run button to run the code Excel brings up the Macros dialog box asking me to name and create a new macro, in other words it is not recognising my module. The problem seems to be the argument "ByVal Target As Range". Excel has no problem recognising the macro without the argument, but this means that the macro doesn't work. The code is as below. "Privat...

excel will not print
excel will only print when i first turn on my computer. during the working day going in and out of other windows based programs excel will not print. excel goes through the motions but does not print. i can not find any reason why this is happening. ...

I cannot seem to save my reports with headers and footers. Please
My family company has recently started using Excell to create data reports. I am unable to save a complete file. The Headers and footers disapper. Is there anything I can do to keep them tied(saved) with the report? I would be very greatful to learn a way out of this problem. Thank you. Are you saving the workbook as an excel workbook (*.xls) or something else? brainturnsoffafter12hours wrote: > > My family company has recently started using Excell to create data reports. I > am unable to save a complete file. The Headers and footers disapper. Is there > anything I can do t...

mouse scrollwheel will not scroll
I installed an HP wireless mobile mouse in my laptop and the scroll wheel does not work. It shows the Auto-scroll icon on the screen when I click the wheel but does not move the screen vertically or horizontally. Manually scrolling with the wheel does nothing either. I checked the HP website and have the latest drivers, and their troubleshooting/help is no help. The "mouse settings" window I get from Control Panel/mouse only sets the amount of lines you want scrolled (this mouse wheel has vertical and side-to-side movement). I have tried uninstalling/disabling other ...

Outlook 2003 will not close!
Outlook will not close! I'm not using a exchange server. I have to close outlook 2003 with the task manager. This happened after upgrading office XP to 2003. Runing with winfax Pro 10.01 WinFax 10 is not compatible with Outlook 2003. Might want to check the Symantec support site and see if they have documented steps on how to install WinFax 10 w/out integrating into Outlook. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "sendmeabuck" <sendmeabuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:095201c39fb3$046f20e0$a6012...

i cann't save my excel file on network it says sharing violation
Don't share! I think maybe somebody else has the file on the server open on their computer. "Theslaz" wrote: > Don't share! > ...

Saving Publisher
I can't publisher to save to anything but an outside source. No s drive, no c drive, only thumb drive. Says my disc is full, however I can save other applications on share, etc. What can I do to fix? -- Sassy Cassie Why can't you save to your local drive? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "cassieannone" <cassieannone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CA15D47-4D5B-43EA-A4D4-F573042F8C60@microsoft.com... >I can't publisher to save to anything but an outside source. No...