Read only access based on drop down box....

Hello. I have a table Calls in our contacts database. The table contains the
following fields:

CallDateTime (txtbox)
CallType (combobox)
Initials (txtbox):

I have two departments that want to use the same Contacts database. However,
each department wants to enter Calls in the calls table and have read only
access to the other departments data in the table based on a drop down value
in one of the fields. Each department has their own CallTypes that they are
responsible for.

Is it possible to have them enter in the same subform but have write and
read access to the call types they are supposed to have?

Sorry, it was difficult to explain the problem, I hope it makes sense.

On Nov 9, 1:23 pm, mattieflo <mattie...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello. I have a table Calls in our contacts database. The table contains the
> following fields:
>
> CallDateTime (txtbox)
> CallType (combobox)
> Initials (txtbox):
>
> I have two departments that want to use the same Contacts database. However,
> each department wants to enter Calls in the calls table and have read only
> access to the other departments data in the table based on a drop down value
> in one of the fields. Each department has their own CallTypes that they are
> responsible for.
>
> Is it possible to have them enter in the same subform but have write and
> read access to the call types they are supposed to have?
>
> Sorry, it was difficult to explain the problem, I hope it makes sense.

If 1) the two departments are sharing the same computer, then the
computer doesn't know who is running the program unless you have a
sign-on screen.  You would also need an automatic time-out in case
they forget to log out.
or 2) If the departments each have their own computer, then you could
make the same form work differently on separate computers by checking
for an ID file on the harddrive that identifies the computer.

0
OldPro

Reading .wks file

Import data from Access to Excel containing VB code
Hi! I am trying to import data from an Access database to an Excel spreadsheet. I have imported several queries from Access into Excel already. However the last piece of data that I am wanting to import into Excel has VB code in the query doing a calculation automatically. So when I go to Excel to import that piece of data, those queries that contain the VB code don't even show up as import-able. Is there a way to import these queries from access into my excel worksheet? I am using Access 2003 and running on an XP OS. Is it possible to do it in Excel 2007 if not available in Excel 2003? I...

Dialup user access to exchange server
We have a Exchange 2003 server which is accessed by corporate user in exchange mode (RPC) in the LAN. Some of these users need to access the server remotely by dialup to the corporate RAS server using the smart client (MS Outlook 2003 - Exchnage mode). There is a Firewall sit in between the RAS and the exchange server. RAS is in a DMZ network and the Exchange is in the trusted network. What are the ports required to be open between the RAS and the Exchange server in order to access the exchange server in a secure manner. Please advice In news:11F7B6FB-E518-4211-8085-920FED4C712D@micros...

Why do Excel and Access freeze on the splash page?
I have just installed Office Pro 2003, removing all previous versions, and I can load Word, but not Excel, Access or Powerpoint. I have tried running virus software (up to date McAfee), re-installing and re-booting but nothing is working. I had the same problem in Office 2000 as well with Excel. Help please. Thanks, Chris. ...

Suppressing DTD look-up via web access when loading XmlDocument
Hi In one of our test suites we load an xml document (it's actually .svg). I'm trying to find some way of stopping the eventual call to HttpWebRequest.GetResponse which I presume it's doing when going to get the DTD at "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd". The result is a time-out because this machine is isolated from the database, the web, everything really :-) I tried to pass XmlDocument a non-validating reader e.g. XmlTextReader but the web request was still attempted. I also set its XmlResolver to null but to no avail. Would anyone be able to ...

File won't open as read only

"File access denied" to PST file
I have gone from Windows 2000 running Outlook 2000 to Windows XP Pro running Outlook 2003. When I try opening my saved .pst file in the new Outlook I get a message saying "File access denied. You do not have permission required to access to file mailbox.pst" I am logged on as Administrator, as I was on the old install. How do I open my saved mailbox.pst or archive.pst? TIA How did you try opening it? is this a local .pst file? If it is not on your C: drive, is it marked Read-Only? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion int...

Can't Convert Access 97 MDE File
I have an application that we have been unable to get to work on Access 2000. I have created an MDE file and used office developer tools to create a run time file for a machine with Access 2000 on it. I get the "You can't convert or enable an MDE file" when I go to run it. I know there is something you can change in the Office Developers Setup Wizard to get this to work, but I forgot what it was. Does anyone know. Thank You in Advance Tony No, you can't convert an MDE. You have to use Access 97 with the 97 MDE, and A2K MDE with Access 2000. (david) "Ton...

using list or combo boxes
Hello, I have a form with several fields: ID Number, LName, Fname, Employer, Employer1 Depts and Employer2 Depts. I want to enter data in first 3 fields (text) which will be inserted to table 1. I want to select a value from a lookup table for employer. Based on the Employer chosen, either Emp1 depts OR Emp2 depts drop down will become active. Finally, select a dept from the active dropdown. Am I thinking correctly in the following: For the OnChange event when the employer is selected from the dropdown, I want to do this: IF employer = EMP1 then 1.1 enable cboEMP1 ...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

CRM Web Synchronization / Remote Access
Hello Everyone, A couple of quick questions. We have just implemented CRM into our organization. I have setup access via a http://crm.company.com so the crm is accessible from the web. Is this the right thing to do? Is there anyway to restrict the users who are allowed to use the external version of crm? Should the crm client point to http://crm.company.com or http://internal. Thanks everyone in advance. Dan L 1. If you are putting Microsoft CRM on the web as part of your user requirements, you should *REALLY* look into securing it since anyone (outside your LAN) can intercept your...

excel file can not be accessed
When opening an excel file I get an error that reads " 'Excel File Name.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." The file is not read-only. The other files in the same location are readable. The document is stored on a local drive. Any suggestions on how to read the file? Thanks for your time. Dave Could this be it? http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly (from Debra Dalgleish's site) Dave wrote: > > When op...

Accessing data from Excel spreadsheet
Hello World, Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to read fields in an Excel spreadsheet from VC++? Thanks, Stephanie You can always save the data in .csv form and read it in after parsing. Another more elegant approach would be to use automation and use excel's object model to access the data. Here is good starting point for automation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q178781/ --- Ajay Stephanie Doherty wrote: > Hello World, > > Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to read fields in an > Excel spreadsheet from VC++? > > Thanks, > S...

reading confirmation

Accessing an email account programmatically
Hello, We have Exchange 2K (moving soon to 2003) that serves all our users - about 1500. I need to access a particular email account programmatically for one of my applications so that I can get emails and respond based on certain biz logic. Understandably the Excahnge admin is hesistant in letting me do anything "fancy". What options do I have to be able to access one or more email accounts programmatically and what if any are risks associated with each of those methods. Any pointers to whitepapers discussing these would also be helpful. TIA, Sanjay. I can't provide you wi...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 on same workstation
Sorry, this has probably been asked a thousand times. Can I install Access 2007 on a machine with Access 2003 and keep both versions. I used to do this with Access 2000 and 2003. Since I am a developer, I need to test and develope with the customers version. TIA Marcus Yes you can. However, be aware that there's currently a problem so that whenever you switch from one version to the other, it'll take several minutes. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Marcus Smaby" <mrsmaby@msn.mom> wrote in message news:%23...

The memory could not be "read".

Restricting access to Export to Excel functionality.
Hi all I am aware that the answer is likely to be 'no', but is anybody aware of a way in which I can disable the Export to Excel functionality on the various screens (accounts, contacts, etc.) - either on a user by user basis or globally. A customer of mine believes this functionality makes it too easy for a user to do a complete dump of the central CRM data to Excel. (Obviously we have given them access to the data and we want them to be able to view it, but we do not want them to easily be able to do a complete dump). Any help appreciated. Cheers Andrew Andrew Volz Senior Consu...

Outlook Web Access automatically closeing its connection to your mailbox after a period of inactivity.
Does anyone know or Is there any way to increase the time of Outlook Web Access automatically closeing its connection to your mailbox after a period of inactivity. thanks ...

adding additional tex boxes and pics
How could I add additional text boxes and pictores after a catalog merge on a booklet and have them push the remaining original boxes down toward the bottom on the page or onto the next page? Caveboy <Caveboy@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How could I add additional text boxes and pictores after a catalog > merge on a booklet and have them push the remaining original boxes > down toward the bottom on the page or onto the next page? Take your original merge publication and database, edit the database, re-merge. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft ...

Forms based authentication.
Im running Exchange2003 enterprise on a W2K3 server. I understand that with forms based authentication, the OWA login page requires the user to either login with their full email address and password, or the domain\username and password. Our users can successfully login with the domain\username format but cannot login with their email address and password. Have i misunderstood the possible logon formats which can be used or is there something I haven't configured correctly? I'm constantly getting calls to remind people of the domain name of the local network and it would be much...

Outlook Web Access #34
currently running Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, just wonder whether using a Nokia E61 can access the Outlook web access? Thanks Music Lover wrote: > currently running Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, just wonder whether using a > Nokia E61 can access the > Outlook web access? > > Thanks > > Use activesync/direct push for this, it will sync the mailbox to the cell phone software is built in. ...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...