Question about Form OnLoad and OnCurrent

My question is which is better to use if I want to enable/disable controls
on the form based on the value of another control on the form.

I know I should probably know this, but....

TIA for the help

Steve

0
steve

Use the OnCurrent event.

The OnLoad event only runs once when the form first loads. The OnCurrent
event runs when a new record is viewed.

Unless this is a continuous form?

Steve

"SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use the OnCurrent event.
>  The OnCurrent
> event runs when a new record is viewed.

The Current event occurs when the form first loads its data, and whenever
the user moves to a different record (existing or new).

> Unless this is a continuous form?

The Current event works the same regardless of whether the form is in
continuous forms view or in single form view.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

0
Ken
9/25/2007 8:17:01 PM
Apologies for my incorrect phrasing... that is, of course, what I meant/said.

> The Current event works the same regardless of whether the form is in
> continuous forms view or in single form view.

Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. What I meant was that the OnCurrent event
will probably not do what he is trying to achieve in a continuous form...

Steve

> Apologies for my incorrect phrasing... that is, of course, what I
> meant/said.

< s > I actually did think that was what you meant -- I added my post for
lurkers / future "Googlers" who might see this thread and wonder if that was
the meaning.

>> The Current event works the same regardless of whether the form is in
>> continuous forms view or in single form view.
>
> Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. What I meant was that the OnCurrent
> event
> will probably not do what he is trying to achieve in a continuous form...

Continuous forms view would result in the control being disabled in all
records, not just the one on which the focus is -- but that is not a problem
for users so long as no one "freaks out" about seeing the control enable or
disable at once on all the records. I use this technique quite often in my
applications.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

> Steve
>
> "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> "SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Use the OnCurrent event.
>> >  The OnCurrent
>> > event runs when a new record is viewed.
>>
>> The Current event occurs when the form first loads its data, and whenever
>> the user moves to a different record (existing or new).
>>

>> > Unless this is a continuous form?
>>
>> The Current event works the same regardless of whether the form is in
>> continuous forms view or in single form view.
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>

0
Ken
9/25/2007 8:46:38 PM
<g>

It would work but individual records in a continuous form would all have the
controls enabled/disabled on the basis of what is required in the current
record.
Not a problem if users will put up with it (I know my users wouldn't!).

Steve

"Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:

> "SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Apologies for my incorrect phrasing... that is, of course, what I
> > meant/said.
>
> < s > I actually did think that was what you meant -- I added my post for
> lurkers / future "Googlers" who might see this thread and wonder if that was
> the meaning.
>

> >> The Current event works the same regardless of whether the form is in
> >> continuous forms view or in single form view.
> >
> > Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. What I meant was that the OnCurrent
> > event
> > will probably not do what he is trying to achieve in a continuous form...
>
> Continuous forms view would result in the control being disabled in all
> records, not just the one on which the focus is -- but that is not a problem
> for users so long as no one "freaks out" about seeing the control enable or
> disable at once on all the records. I use this technique quite often in my
> applications.
>
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> > Steve
> >
> > "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> "SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> The Current event occurs when the form first loads its data, and whenever
> >> the user moves to a different record (existing or new).

> >> The Current event works the same regardless of whether the form is in
> >> continuous forms view or in single form view.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>         Ken Snell
> >> <MS ACCESS MVP>

So does the OnCurrent code get executed when the form first loads then?

Thanks for the quick replys!
> <g>
>
> It would work but individual records in a continuous form would all have
> the
> controls enabled/disabled on the basis of what is required in the current
> record.
> Not a problem if users will put up with it (I know my users wouldn't!).
>
> Steve
>
> "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> "SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Apologies for my incorrect phrasing... that is, of course, what I
>> > meant/said.
>>
>> < s > I actually did think that was what you meant -- I added my post for
>> lurkers / future "Googlers" who might see this thread and wonder if that
>> was
>> the meaning.

>> > Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. What I meant was that the OnCurrent
>> > event
>> > will probably not do what he is trying to achieve in a continuous
>> > form...
>>
>> Continuous forms view would result in the control being disabled in all
>> records, not just the one on which the focus is -- but that is not a
>> problem
>> for users so long as no one "freaks out" about seeing the control enable
>> or
>> disable at once on all the records. I use this technique quite often in
>> my
>> applications.
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>

>> > Steve

0
steve
9/25/2007 9:43:26 PM
Yes.

Steve

"steve" wrote:

> So does the OnCurrent code get executed when the form first loads then?
>
> Thanks for the quick replys!
> Steve
> "SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > <g>
> >
> > It would work but individual records in a continuous form would all have
> > the
> > controls enabled/disabled on the basis of what is required in the current
> > record.
> > Not a problem if users will put up with it (I know my users wouldn't!).
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> "SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> < s > I actually did think that was what you meant -- I added my post for
> >> lurkers / future "Googlers" who might see this thread and wonder if that
> >> was
> >> the meaning.

> >> Continuous forms view would result in the control being disabled in all
> >> records, not just the one on which the focus is -- but that is not a
> >> problem
> >> for users so long as no one "freaks out" about seeing the control enable
> >> or
> >> disable at once on all the records. I use this technique quite often in
> >> my
> >> applications.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>         Ken Snell
> >> <MS ACCESS MVP>

"SteveM" <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <g>
>
> It would work but individual records in a continuous form would all have
> the
> controls enabled/disabled on the basis of what is required in the current
> record.
> Not a problem if users will put up with it (I know my users wouldn't!).

Never had a complaint from users of my applications, though I once was asked
what was happening. Users can work on only one record at a time, and if the
user clicks on one of the other records, the textboxes will enable again if
that is appropriate for that record. Just a visual effect < s >.
--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

0
Ken
9/25/2007 11:44:39 PM
Good point -- steve might be able to use ConditionalFormatting to
disable/enable the textbox without having to have all the other records'
textboxes change the same way.
--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

> Fortunately, I have a couple of ways round this, one of which loads
> special
> FormatConditions at runtime so the controls respond to the criteria in
> each
> row.

0
Ken

Create views within a form?
Hi, Is there a 3rd party product will allow I create views within a form? I am trying to create a product page under the accounts page. I prefer the page looks like a view which has columes with titles on top. The current fefult customization in CRM only alow I add tab under the account tab, and only 2 objects per row within the form. I need to create the product page has a few columes. Thanks, create a custom page using asp.net and the SDK "Mike Ling" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OIW3%23utHEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is th...

Backup question

a question and a question

IF AND question

IE8 privacy question

Question about Paste Special

Having your form display it's own code?
I am currently working on building a programmer resume. The resume is going to include a series of forms that walk the user through the resume, showing off my coding abilities as they go. I was thinking it would be pretty nifty as well to also have perhaps a read only text box at the bottom of each form where they can view the actual code for that form. The problem is I can't really think of how to get started with that, anybody have any ideas? On Dec 12, 6:40=A0am, CSharp-Jay <bluemana...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am currently working on building a programmer resume. =A0T...

how do I use a dropdown list to update other fields on my form?
I have been searching and searching for the answer. Maybe it's the lingo I'm using? I'd like to select a name in the drop-down list and once it is selected it will populate the address, city, and state, etc. of that person, company, or whatever. How do I create the dropdown list to perform that function? Please help!!! Thank you! On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:56:00 -0800, K-Lo <K-Lo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been searching and searching for the answer. Maybe it's the lingo I'm >using? I'd like to select a name in the drop-down list and once i...

number of columns in a customized Form
Hi, We need some times more than 3 columns in a row on a customized form, is this possible? has any one tried this out? any hint is highly appreciated. Regards not possible in the standard forms and not heard of any solution to increase the capability. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Max.f FirstCity" <max.f@first-city.com> wrote in message news:e%23oXeStbGHA.1856@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > We need some times more than 3 columns in a row on a customized form, is > this possible? has any ...

Microsoft Query question

Question

OWA Question #16

How to customize the Item Properties Form
Is there any way to add additional fields to the Item Properties page in RMS? I have used QSRules to modify the POS Screen in the past but don't see any way to modify any of the forms from within Manager. I would like to either add more fields or pop a custom form after tabbing off the Item Lookup Code field. Thanks! Nope, no way to modify the built in forms. You can replace them, as several existing add-ins do. You can also use the ItemSave hook to pop your form after the OK button on Item Properties is clicked. That's the most granular activation that's available. Gle...

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Text Box Question

401K questions

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7

Select from a combo box, go to related record in another form
Hi, I've been struggling with this. It seems to be simple enough, but I cannot get my macro to work. I would like to have one form with just a combo box. The combo box contains a user ID and the First/Last names, so that when a user selects from the combo box, they are sure to select the correct person. After selecting from the combo box, I'd like to have a different form open to the record selected from the combo box. I'd like just that record to be displayed. I created a macro that opens the other form (OpenForm), and input an expression for the "Where Condition&quo...

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...

switchboard question 12-26-07
Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard pages on the switchboard form? If you put one name on a switchboard page (in form design view), the same name appears on all the switchboard pages. I understand why this happens, but what if I want the user to be able to know which switchboard s/he is on? Thanks. PS the same thing happens if I go into form design view and put in control tip text. It puts the same text for the same-numbered menu item on two different switchboard pages. "Debbie S." wrote: > Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard ...

Some Questions about Outlook
1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? 2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the tary be changed to other until i check the mail? can it work with hotmail? 3. is there any function likes "To Do List"; calendar require time setting? 4. configure file backup; can i back up all of my setting? -- Me, Who I am On Sun, 7 May 2006 22:17:01 -0700, Dotku <lwjct@hotmail.com> wrote: >1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? That would depend on your mail server/ISP. >2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the ...