Query Form

I have exported some data from the local MLS system into an Access database
and want to run some statistics on the sales information, using a number of
different queries which will feed graphs in Excel, etc...

I have a form set up for choosing the data which include the city, the
development, what kind of property it is (condo, single family residence,
etc.)

The problem I have is why no selection is made.  For example, the query
looks for a city selection from a drop-down box;  if I choose a city, the
query runs perfectly.  If I do not choose a city - leaving it blank - the
query produces no results.  I want "no city selected" or "all cities" to
produce a query that has all cities in it.

I've tried various 'iif' statements in the criteria - and nothing has
worked.  I've tried checking the drop-down for null and for ""   I've created
a text box with a value equal to the dropdown and tried to query on that -
and that has not worked.  I even tried doing that with all the cities typed
into it, and that didn't work either.

I have seven different feilds that might or might not hold criteria.  (City,
development, property type, land type, sales date, size of house, size of
lot.)  There must be a way to hand a situation where no selection is made:
it would be  real pain to have to code SQL for every possible combination of
these seven inputs!

Ideas would be highly appreciated!

"dave_b" <daveb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have exported some data from the local MLS system into an Access database
> and want to run some statistics on the sales information, using a number
> of
> different queries which will feed graphs in Excel, etc...
>
> I have a form set up for choosing the data which include the city, the
> development, what kind of property it is (condo, single family residence,
> etc.)
>
> The problem I have is why no selection is made.  For example, the query
> looks for a city selection from a drop-down box;  if I choose a city, the
> query runs perfectly.  If I do not choose a city - leaving it blank - the
> query produces no results.  I want "no city selected" or "all cities" to
> produce a query that has all cities in it.
>
> I've tried various 'iif' statements in the criteria - and nothing has
> worked.  I've tried checking the drop-down for null and for ""   I've
> created
> a text box with a value equal to the dropdown and tried to query on that -
> and that has not worked.  I even tried doing that with all the cities
> typed
> into it, and that didn't work either.
>
> I have seven different feilds that might or might not hold criteria.
> (City,
> development, property type, land type, sales date, size of house, size of
> lot.)  There must be a way to hand a situation where no selection is made:
> it would be  real pain to have to code SQL for every possible combination
> of
> these seven inputs!

In principle, you can code your query SQL like this:

------ start of example SQL ------
    SELECT ...
    WHERE
        ((City = Forms!YourForm!cboCity)
        OR (Forms!YourForm!cboCity Is Null))
    AND
        ((PropertyType = Forms!YourForm!cboPropertyType)
        OR (Forms!YourForm!cboPropertyType Is Null))
------ end of example SQL ------

It is often simpler, if you will be opening a form or report from the form
where the criteria controls reside, to build a filter string on the fly and
apply it as the Where-Condition argument for the DoCmd.OpenForm or
DoCmd.OpenReport call.  When taking that approach, the code looks something
like this:

'------ start of example code ------

    Dim strFilter As String

    If Not IsNull(Me.cboCity) Then
        strFilter = strFilter & " AND (" & _
            "City = "" & Me.cboCity & """)"
    End If

    If Not IsNull(Me.cboPropertyType) Then
        strFilter = strFilter & " AND (" & _
            "PropertyType = "" & Me.cboPropertyType& """)"
    End If

    ' ... other criteria appended as needed ...

    If Len(strFilter) > 0 Then
        ' Trim off leading " AND ".
        strFilter = Mid$(strFilter, 6)
    End If

    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptProperties", WhereCondition:=strFilter

'------ end of example code ------

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk

Timer for Queries?

Outlook Forms slow to load
All of the suddent, one of my customers is having an issue with his outlook client. His forms are taking 3 minutes to load. Any idea why this may be happening? Where are the forms he's trying to load? They wouldn't be halfway around the world, would they? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Boomer" <marionFSU@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1171297633.827243.132230@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > All of the suddent, one of my customers is having an issue with his > outlook client. His forms are ta...

Erratic results from query criteria

Excel Forms #5
Once I have created a form (for entering data in a spreadsheet)...is there a way to save the form for future use to avoid having to choose the columns each time I want to enter data? If you referring to Excel's Data, Form feature if you assign the name "database" to the list you do not have to select the list to use it with Data, Form. -- Jim "wheresleo" <wheresleo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA4C1EF6-FF2D-4EE3-837D-22814D6A9F34@microsoft.com... | Once I have created a form (for entering data in a spreadsheet)...is there a | way to sa...

Update Query ?

The disappearing form
In using Access 2007, I have a database with five joined tables. I want to make a form, based on the "main table" and then four individual subforms. This works fine for the first of the four subforms, but when I add the second in design view, and then look at my handy work in Form View, all I have is a blank, white display, none of the controls are visible. This is the most complex form I have ever attempted and can not determine what is wrong. Please help. Paul If your form is blank, that generally means there was no data there to show. Make sure your control sour...

Using Access form to assign values of variables in an Excel VBA program
I have created a VBA program for Ms Excel.But,to get desired results, every time, I go into the code to change the values of variables.Is there a way to get the values of variables stored in an Access table? YOu need to do a search for ADO method (ActiveX Data Object). There are plenty of example of code on the web. You need to add two references in your VBA to use the method. from VBA menu tools - References 1) Microsoft Access XX.X object library 2) Microsfot ActiveX Data Objects X.X library Use the latest versio of the two libraries on your PC. You will make a conn...

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

A phantom blank form opens with my form
I have a form that is used for data entry. When it opens there is a phantom blank rectangle that opens adjacent to the regular data entry form. The form is opened via VBA. I have the form set to data entry with additions set to yes. Once I enter data it dissapears. At other times it locks up everything where I have to use the task manager to close. What the . . . First thing I would do would be to see if there are updated Graphics drivers for my hardware. -- HTH, George "Programming Artist" <Programming Artist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2703E1...

recordset "over" 2 forms
I think this is a rather basic question and difficult to explain, but I'll try I have this form with 1 entryfield and 1 puhbutton In this entryfield I enter a name, or part of a name I click the pushbutton and another form opens, based upon what I entered in the first form The code for the pushbutton of the first form is: Private Sub Knop13_Click() If IsNull(Me!Naam_lk) = False Then If MsgBox("Je koos een naam", vbOKOnly, "Let op") Then End If End If If IsNull(Me!Naam_lk) = False Then Dim g As Form, f As Form Dim db As Database Set db = Cur...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

Transparent form with hourglass?
I want to have a maximized form that is transparent. In the center is a label with some text. I could not figure out how to have a waitcursor displayed on the form. Does anyone know how to do that with a transparent form? As an alternative, I tried setting the opacity to something low like 5%. The waitcursor worked but I could not see the label text in the middle of the form. Thanks for any help you can provide. ...

pass through query

Passing Values from One Form to Another Including a Combo Box
Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to another by way of a command button. I have spent a week on various code taken from this site, but still no luck. Please ... someone help!! The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. On this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91. The command button is called Command119. The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits- Form. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter. Maurita ...

a count field in a query?

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Form Not Opening Right
I am using the following code from to open a form from another continuous form. DoCmd.OpenForm "frmDhallAddExpiredRefRecy", , , , acFormAdd, , [DHallID] = Me.DHallID However, the form opens except that the DhallID does not transfer. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? The DhallID is an autonumber field. -- Thanks As Always Rip Ripper wrote: > I am using the following code from to open a form from another continuous > form. > DoCmd.OpenForm "frmDhallAddExpiredRefRecy", , , , acFormAdd, , [DHallID] > = Me.DHallID >...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

datasheet form 05-31-07
how can i change the datasheet gray back color? On 31 May 2007 02:27:27 -0700, yaelandezra@gmail.com wrote: >how can i change the datasheet gray back color? AFAIK, you can't. You can build the form with the Continuous view, then set the control's Backstyle to Transparent, then set the form's Detail section backcolor as needed. With a small amount of effort, you can make the Continuous form look just like the Datasheet view Scott McDaniel scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com www.infotrakker.com ...

Default email form
I have Outlook 2002 on W2K O.S. How do I add a "BCC" to my default mail message form? I have done the design a form and added the field. Now I want it to become the default form. What and where do I save it as? I am also getting ActiveX error messages that say "your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly". Is this causing a problem as well? I do have a custom signature that has our logo in it. Thank you for your assistance. ...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Passing data from one form to another

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

Form and SubForm Problem
I have a table tblPhones with a PDkey as the Primary Key. I have another table tblPB with four fields as follows: DDID as the Primary Key PDkey, a lookup field to tblPhones. DirectoryID, a lookup field to a table tblDirectory DeptID, a lookup field to a table tblDepartment The Main Form uses tblPhones as it's record source The Sub Form has tblPB as it's record source Link Child Fields = PDkey Link Master Fields = PDkey I can create a new record in tblPhones from the Main Form, WITHOUT entering data in the SubForm. How do I make sure data is entered into the SubForm when adding a n...