Prevent Moving to New Record vs two Forms?

I would like to prevent user from adding new record based on condition in a
field.
e.g., Is there a way to prevent moving to the 'add new record' line in a
form if field1 = "A"  or "B" and still be able to EDIT fields for existing
records for A and B types in field1?  I have been experimenting with nested
Elseif..if statements ... but thinking there may an easier way if I use two
forms based on different conditions.

Steve Stad wrote:

>I would like to prevent user from adding new record based on condition in a
>field.
>e.g., Is there a way to prevent moving to the 'add new record' line in a
>form if field1 = "A"  or "B" and still be able to EDIT fields for existing
>records for A and B types in field1?  I have been experimenting with nested
>Elseif..if statements ... but thinking there may an easier way if I use two
>forms based on different conditions.

You can get that effect by using code like this in the
form's Cuttent event:

Me.AllowAdditions = Not Me.field1 Like "[AB["

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Private Sub Form_Current()
Me.AllowAdditions = Not Me.Field1 Like "[A]"
End Sub

Can you explain the right side of the equal = Not Me.field1 Like "[AB["
I assume you meant to enclose AB w/a right bracket.  I am testing with one
option, e.g., [A] ... as above Not Me.Field1 Like "[A]"

Steve Stad wrote:

>Marshall - I tried this code in the form cuRRent event -- but got Run-time
>error '94' Invalid use of null.  I filled in all nulls in Field1 but still
>got the same error msg.
>
>Private Sub Form_Current()
>Me.AllowAdditions = Not Me.Field1 Like "[A]"
>End Sub
>
>Can you explain the right side of the equal = Not Me.field1 Like "[AB["
>I assume you meant to enclose AB w/a right bracket.  I am testing with one
>option, e.g., [A] ... as above Not Me.Field1 Like "[A]"

	Not Me.field1 Like "[AB["
returns False if field1 is either "A" or "B" so additions
are Not allowed.  Otherwise it returns True and additions
are allowed.  Check Help on "Wildcards" for other things you
can do with the Like operator. (Note that testing with a
single letter inside the [ ] is the equivalent to using
Me.Field1 = "A")

You will get that error if Field1 is Null.  If you want to
allow additions when Field1 is Null, try using:
	Not Nz(Me.field1,"") Like "[AB["

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

sorry I did not specify to begin.

Steve Stad wrote:
>Marshall, Actuall A and B are really 3 characters "CIV" and "MIL".
>So I need line or lines to to prevent new additions if me.field1 = CIV or
>MIL and allow new newadditions if field1 is CTR.
>I tried this code but got runtime error13 : type mismatch
>Private Sub Form_Current()
>Me.AllowAdditions = Not Nz(Me.field1, "")
>Me.AllowAdditions = (Me.field1 = "CTR")
>End Sub

>sorry I did not specify to begin.

I wasted your time trying to use a one line solution.  Like
is just not useful with the real data.

I think the code would then look like:

	If Me.field1 = "CIV" Or Me.field1 = "MIL" Then
		Me.AllowAdditions = False
	Else
		Me.AllowAdditions = True
	End If

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> Steve Stad wrote:
> >Marshall, Actuall A and B are really 3 characters "CIV" and "MIL".
> >So I need line or lines to to prevent new additions if me.field1 = CIV or
> >MIL and allow new newadditions if field1 is CTR.
> >I tried this code but got runtime error13 : type mismatch
> >Private Sub Form_Current()
> >Me.AllowAdditions = Not Nz(Me.field1, "")
> >Me.AllowAdditions = (Me.field1 = "CTR")
> >End Sub
>
> >sorry I did not specify to begin.
>
> I wasted your time trying to use a one line solution.  Like
> is just not useful with the real data.
>
> I think the code would then look like:
>
> 	If Me.field1 = "CIV" Or Me.field1 = "MIL" Then
> 		Me.AllowAdditions = False
> 	Else
> 		Me.AllowAdditions = True
> 	End If
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
> .

There are no events when you just scroll through the
records.  You have to **navigate** to a record to tell
Access which record is the current record.

I think you might want to use the form's Current event.

When the Current event occurs, you can set the focus to
whatever control you want.  However, you do not need to move
the focus to run the code in the GotFocus event.  You can
call it from anywhere just like any other procedure:
	field1_GotFocus
or
	Call field1_GotFocus()
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Steve Stad wrote:
>Thanks Barton - Can you tell me what event and how to move or set focus on
>field1 when a user scrolls/rolls thru records in the form.  I have alot of
>code in the 'gotfocus' event for field1 so I want to ensure the focus moves
>or starts in field1.
>I am not sure if scrolling with mouse roller is opening, loading,
>activating, etc???
>
>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>> Steve Stad wrote:
>> >Marshall, Actuall A and B are really 3 characters "CIV" and "MIL".
>> >So I need line or lines to to prevent new additions if me.field1 = CIV or
>> >MIL and allow new newadditions if field1 is CTR.
[snip]
>> I think the code would then look like:
>>
>> 	If Me.field1 = "CIV" Or Me.field1 = "MIL" Then
>> 		Me.AllowAdditions = False
>> 	Else
>> 		Me.AllowAdditions = True
>> 	End If

0
Marshall
1/19/2010 5:16:01 PM
Thanks Marshall - btw is the following code valid for Field1_GotFocus() for
an existing record, i.e., Not a new record.  I have same code for
Field1_AfterUpdate() and.  When I test I think one set of code is flipping
the enable/disable for the same fields.  I need to enable certain fields for
editing existing and disable the same fields if it is a new record.

Private Sub Field1_GotFocus()
If Not Me.NewRecord Then
    Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = True
    Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = True
    Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = True
        If Me.[ Field1] = "MIL" Then
           Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = False
           Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = False
           Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = False
        End If
        If Me.[ Field1] = "CIV" Then

Steve Stad wrote:
>Thanks Marshall - btw is the following code valid for Field1_GotFocus() for
>an existing record, i.e., Not a new record.  I have same code for
>Field1_AfterUpdate() and.  When I test I think one set of code is flipping
>the enable/disable for the same fields.  I need to enable certain fields for
>editing existing and disable the same fields if it is a new record.
>
>Private Sub Field1_GotFocus()
>If Not Me.NewRecord Then
>    Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = True
>    Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = True
>    Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = True
>        If Me.[ Field1] = "MIL" Then
>           Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = False
>           Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = False
>           Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = False
>        End If
>        If Me.[ Field1] = "CIV" Then
>            Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = False
>            Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = False
>            Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = False
>        End If
>    Else
>     Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = True
>     Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = True
>     Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = True
>End If
>End Sub

That may be valid, but I find it confusingly difficult to
read.  I think this may be easier to follow:

Private Sub Field1_GotFocus()
If Not Me.NewRecord Then
	If Me.[ Field1] = "MIL" Or Me.[ Field1] = "CIV" Then
		Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = False
		Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = False
		Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = False
	Else
		Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = True
		Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = True
		Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = True
	End If
Else
	Me.[EMP_FIRST_NAME].Enabled = True
	Me.[EMP_CITY].Enabled = True
	Me.[EMP_STATE].Enabled = True
End If
End Sub

BUT, I think that code should be in the form's Current
event, not in any control's GotFocus event.  Maybe I just
don't understand the significance of [ Field1]??

I really have to question the name [ Field1] with a space as
the first character.  It should work, but it is extremely
unusual and prone to typos.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

splitting one column into two columns ... not what you think
i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns be added to the worksheet ... i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results" cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ... so: if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle. "text to column" is ...

Passing data from one form to another

Just installed new hard drive
I just installed a new hard drive and used the drive's utility program to copy everything from my old drive to the new one. Now Outlook isn't going out to my ISP's server and getting my new messages, and when I send a message I get the "no transport provider available" error. (My connection's just fine.) I looked online for some help. One recommendation was to delete the Personal Folder and create a new one. I did that, but then all the messages I had disappeared and it freaked me out so I didn't want to mess with anything else. How can I make it work ...

Constructing Hyperlink from the Database Record fields
I am working on a Windows XP environment using MS Office 2007 including Access 2007. I want to open a document from Access 2007 which I can easily do with Hyperlink type field. However since all the necessary information is already in the Database Record I try to avoid creating additional field which would be a Hyperlink type on the Form unless it is absolutely necessary. Below is the code that I have to construct the FullFileName which consisted of ServerName, Division, Unit, RequirementDirectory, FolderName and the FileName itself. As you can see the Database records has al...

Outlook vs. Netscape
Hello all, Maybe someone can help me. I'm encoutering a weird bug and I'd like to get to the bottom of it and fix it. I have a system using Windows XP Pro as an OS. I have the Office 2002 suite and for my mail service I use OUTLOOK (not xpress). I had the McAfee 2003 anti-virus installed which I removed for technical reasons (annoying tests) and the compuetr was sacnned free from viruses..... I have an account set up in OUTLOOK, my outgoing and incoming servers are exactly what they are supposed to be, I can receive all mail but for some odd reason I'm unable to send anything fr...

http://crm/Reports vs. http://crm/Reportserver
I have several MS CRM reports residing on a SQL Server 2005 that were migrated from 3.0. I can access the reports via the following url: http://crm/Reports then clicking the folder and opening up a report. However, When I try and use http://crm/Reportserver and click on the reports I see the same folder and reports but I get an error message (below) and cannot open any reports? I believe this to be a SRS issue. In the following the GUID appears to be the link and the reports are in a 4.0 folder. Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:38 AM 23166 {5a8355f1-e300- dd11-a47f-001aa03779ca} ...

Conditional sum
Hi Can you help? I would like to sum a matrix according to a condition in a row and in different condition in a column. I know how to do this one dimensionally (either in the row or the column) using sumproduct, but what about two dimensions? Let me give an example, number of widgets produced each week by each type of machine A B C D 1 weeks>>1 2 3 2 Type 1 10 15 11 3 Type 2 20 5 10 4 Type 1 5 12 21 Etc So, I’d like the formula to be a...

form and query problem. please help.

Keeping Sent Items in sync across two PCs
I asked this question a few days ago in the microsoft.public.outlook.general forum but didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try here instead... I have two computers, and both use Outlook 2000 for email. I don not use an Exchange server - email is by POP3/SMTP. Both computers collect the same email by POP3, and are set up to leave messages on the server for 30 days so nothing is missed on either PC. This works well, but the only problem is that when I send an email, it is only in the Sent Items fold of the PC that I used to send the email. Is there a way to 'copy' group...

moving databases
when i use the "optomizer" program and agree to the recomendations, the program fails to move the databases. It will attempt to, and then after awhile it just stops responding. When i try to move the databases manually and then change the data paths, i get an error that says the data is already moved and it fails to change the paths... any suggestions?? Hi Tim, Do the databases themselves actually move? Does the server hang trying to stop services? Look in the registry at HKeyLocalMachine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ ParametersPrivate\DB Path ParametersP...

Saga of trying to move to Quicken
The following is a series of lessons learned in attempting to use QIF to move 13 1/2 years of data from Money Plus to Quicken. I purchased 2009 and contacted Quicken support who provided Quicken 2004 and directions to use QIF files to perform the conversion. 1) Make certain that you change all of your account names to be less than 15 characters. 2) Same for categories and classifications 3) If you use sub classifications they will go over combined with the classification. Quicken does not have sub-classifications. 4) export all of your accounts to separate files. In my case this is 80 ...

Two different hyperlink colors
I have created a publisher document that I am using as email stationary. I have created some blue buttons that I have put hyperlinks on. I want the hyperlinks to not show up as blue on the buttons, so I changed the color scheme so they show as white. However, in the main body of my email, there are also a few hyperlinks. Because I've changed the color scheme, these hyperlinks are also showing up as white. I've tried just highlighting them and changing the font to black but that does not work. Is there anyway to change the hyperlink color in the body of my email? Than...

Form Formatting
I have a subform (datasheet view) in a form where I want to make one column a different color. I can go into Design view and change the color but it doesn't change in the form view. This form was made ages ago with an automatic format and now I can't get away from the automatic format. Help! "DSmith" <donna@DONTSPAMresxrn.com> wrote in message news:eQARsjI6KHA.4508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have a subform (datasheet view) in a form where I want to make one column >a different color. I can go into Design view and change the color but it >doe...

Report for single record
I have a report that shows much data about a single record that I am trying to reuse from a previous database. In my new DB, the project manager is set in an intermediate table between project data and contact data. How do I reference a table outside the forms data source? Can I run a query in a form without having to build a query? Several possibilities. If you just need to look up a single value from another table so you can limit the report to the correct value, DLookup() should do that for you. See: Getting a value from a table: DLookup() at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-07...

telnet client in access form
Hello. I am trying to creat a form for work that involves connecting to a telnet server to automatically send and retreive specified data. I am new to VB and I am not sure why my code is not working... anybody help me out? Here is the code that seems to be generating the error: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) telnet.RemoteHost = "HOST" telnet.RemotePort = 23 End Sub (obviously i have replaced removed the host name since i am posting this) ...

Template Wizard, why aren't records being created in database
When creating a template using the Template Wizard, the database is being created but only the field headings are created. Why aren't the records being created in the database? ...

Trouble with forms I created in Word 2003
I create form field forms for my department. Recently upgraded to Office 2007. I can't seem to access many things in the "ribbon" in order to unlock the form and/or make any changes, access the header/ footer etc. I have spent hours trying to figure this out and have tried things I have seen in various forums to no avail. Please help! "HBForsyth" <HBForsyth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BDD0D0C-AA9B-4E5B-A632-BE4B7E4DD6E1@microsoft.com... > I create form field forms for my department. Recently upgraded to Office >...

Error message
I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD. Win XP Pro, SP3. I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to the right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder. This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external HDD. I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on the two HDDs that are internal to the computer. Virus and malware scans are negati...

Moving server between admingroups in Exchange 2003
Is it now possible to move a server between Admin groups in Exchange 2003? If not what happens when I remove a server from an Admin group? If I need to kill an Admin group in EX2003 do I need to rebuild the Exchange server to put it in another Admin group? I have three (1 in a distant country) and now I need to move a server to a different admin group. Kind Regards, Simon. You must reinstall the Server into the AG that you want it to be in. Yes, you will need to completely remove the server from the previous AG before it will allow you to reinstall it into the new one. -- Steven D...

Rootkit vs Rootkit
Howdy, I would just wondering, after reading through the rootkits issues (again) and remembering a long running discussion with Dr. Joe Newcommer. Would it be possible to write a DLL to rootkit the rootkit, a message filter actually on SetWindowsHook / SetWindowsHookEx that could actually prevent other rootkits (hell, stop ANYTHING except whats authorised from a sub within the DLL) from creating windows hooks? I was thinking about tinkering about with the design of such an tool, but thought I would ask peoples opinions first. Sudocode: [ HookWindowsEx function with HookWindowsEx (...

Unable to install 2000 Publisher upgrade on new computer
I have a new computer with office xp professional, but the publisher application that came with xp does not have the same functionality of the office 2000 professional publisher that i created most of my publications with. I can not get the "2000 upgrade" that I purchased to install on my new computer. It says that there is not a valid product to update. Is there some way around this? Do you have any old Microsoft product disks that you can install? Works, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Lotus 1-2-3, Microsoft Project or Word. Publisher 2002 is superior to 2000. What features ...

Transferring files to a new computer
Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP with MSFT Small Biz. I was running Windows 98 and using Outlook 2000. Now I want to copy all my old emails, folders, addresses etc. into the new version of Outlook 2003 but I can't seem to find it. It's not recognizing my saved files as .PST files. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, daviskho "daviskho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052801c3dbb0$e46e5970$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP > with MSFT Small Biz. ...