Populate 2nd Form w/Data from First

I have two forms: frmDtaEntryMain and frmDtaEntrySE.

FrmDataEntryMain has underlying table: tblDta.
FrmDtaEntrySE has underlying table: tblSE

There is a common field in both forms:  ProjectID, which is a text field.

When in frmDtaEntry, I have a button to open frmDtaEntrySE.  If a record
with the same ProjectID exists in tblSE, I would like that record displayed
when frmDtaEntrySE opens.

If a record currently does not exist in tblSE with the same ProjectID, I
would like to populate the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntrySE with the value
from the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntryMain

Thanks much for any “Best Practices” recommendations to accomplish the above.

Janna,
    Your missing the point of a table to table realtionship.

    ProjectID should be a unique identifier for each record in tblData.
Usually that's an autonumber, to ensure (within reason) that no Data records
have the same ProjectID.
    tblEntry should have a Long Integer numeric field called ProjectID.
    In the Realtionship window, you can create a relationship (One to Many)
between tblData (the One) to tblEntry (the Many).

    OK, our tables are ready.  Now the form...
    The Main form will have tblData as it's RecordSource, and show all the
Data fields.
    A subform on that Main form will use tblEntry as it's RecordSource, and
show the Entry fields.
    The Main form and subform will have a Parent/Child relationship through
the ProjectID, and Access will ensure that any subform (Entry records) will
always be properly associated with it's Parent Data record.

   Let's say you create a new Data record with ProjectID 123.  If you have a
proper relationship established between tblData, and tblEntry... any subform
record entered will automatically be given a ProjectID of 123.  If you enter
10 subform records, each will have a ProjectID of 123... so the sub records
are alwways properly associated with your Data records.
   Access does that for you... because of the relationship.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"Janna" <Janna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two forms: frmDtaEntryMain and frmDtaEntrySE.
>
> FrmDataEntryMain has underlying table: tblDta.
> FrmDtaEntrySE has underlying table: tblSE
>

> There is a common field in both forms:  ProjectID, which is a text field.
>
> When in frmDtaEntry, I have a button to open frmDtaEntrySE.  If a record
> with the same ProjectID exists in tblSE, I would like that record
> displayed
> when frmDtaEntrySE opens.
>
> If a record currently does not exist in tblSE with the same ProjectID, I
> would like to populate the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntrySE with the value
> from the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntryMain
>
> Thanks much for any "Best Practices" recommendations to accomplish the
> above.

0
Al
1/4/2008 10:12:38 PM
The tables would just have a one-to-one relationship--which is why I didn't
initially consider using a subform.  There should just be one record in both
tables with a unique ProjectID. I'm trying to keep the number of fields in my
tables manageable.  tblData is really the main table that a large number of
fields with demographic data in addition to the ProjectID field

tblSE represents a specific type of project with it's unique fields.  There
are additional tables (similar to tblSE) that would contain data regarding
specific types of projects and their unique fields, but each table would have
a ProjectID field to tie back to tblData.  Again, only one record in each of
these tables should ever have the same ProjectID.

I suppose I could create one huge flat table, but it would have several
hundred fields and I was trying to avoid that.

Any additional recommendations on design?  Thanks again.

"Al Campagna" wrote:

> Janna,
>     Your missing the point of a table to table realtionship.
>
>     ProjectID should be a unique identifier for each record in tblData.
> Usually that's an autonumber, to ensure (within reason) that no Data records
> have the same ProjectID.
>     tblEntry should have a Long Integer numeric field called ProjectID.
>     In the Realtionship window, you can create a relationship (One to Many)
> between tblData (the One) to tblEntry (the Many).
>
>     OK, our tables are ready.  Now the form...
>     The Main form will have tblData as it's RecordSource, and show all the
> Data fields.
>     A subform on that Main form will use tblEntry as it's RecordSource, and
> show the Entry fields.
>     The Main form and subform will have a Parent/Child relationship through
> the ProjectID, and Access will ensure that any subform (Entry records) will
> always be properly associated with it's Parent Data record.
>
>    Let's say you create a new Data record with ProjectID 123.  If you have a
> proper relationship established between tblData, and tblEntry... any subform
> record entered will automatically be given a ProjectID of 123.  If you enter
> 10 subform records, each will have a ProjectID of 123... so the sub records
> are alwways properly associated with your Data records.
>    Access does that for you... because of the relationship.
> --
>     hth
>     Al Campagna
>     Microsoft Access MVP
>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
>
> "Janna" <Janna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two forms: frmDtaEntryMain and frmDtaEntrySE.
> >
> > FrmDataEntryMain has underlying table: tblDta.
> > FrmDtaEntrySE has underlying table: tblSE
> >

> > There is a common field in both forms:  ProjectID, which is a text field.
> >
> > When in frmDtaEntry, I have a button to open frmDtaEntrySE.  If a record
> > with the same ProjectID exists in tblSE, I would like that record
> > displayed
> > when frmDtaEntrySE opens.
> >
> > If a record currently does not exist in tblSE with the same ProjectID, I
> > would like to populate the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntrySE with the value
> > from the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntryMain
> >
> > Thanks much for any "Best Practices" recommendations to accomplish the
> > above.

I'm re-reading my 3rd post and thought I would try to clarify further: tblDta
will have one record for every project.

tbleSE and the other tables that have data specific to different types of
projects will combined, have only one record for every project id.  Depending
on the type of project will determine within which table the entry resides.
As mentioned above, I could make a huge flat table, but there will be several
hundred fields and many of the fields in each record entry won't contain data
because it will be specific to the type of project. I thought it would be
more manageable to create separate tables based on the type of projects and
tie them back to the tbleDta based on the unique project id.
"Janna" wrote:

> [...]
> >     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
> >
> >     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
> >
> > "Janna" <Janna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have two forms: frmDtaEntryMain and frmDtaEntrySE.
> > >
> > > FrmDataEntryMain has underlying table: tblDta.
> > > FrmDtaEntrySE has underlying table: tblSE
> > >

> > > There is a common field in both forms:  ProjectID, which is a text field.
> > >
> > > When in frmDtaEntry, I have a button to open frmDtaEntrySE.  If a record
> > > with the same ProjectID exists in tblSE, I would like that record
> > > displayed
> > > when frmDtaEntrySE opens.
> > >
> > > If a record currently does not exist in tblSE with the same ProjectID, I
> > > would like to populate the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntrySE with the value
> > > from the ProjectID field in frmDtaEntryMain
> > >
> > > Thanks much for any "Best Practices" recommendations to accomplish the

Janna,
   That's quite different, but still should be do-able.
   I think that it's a bit odd that you have so many fields in your tables,
but it's certainly not illegal.  A One to One relationship can be used.  In
fact I have had occaision to do the same.

   Make sure you have a relationship between tblProjectID and tblData using
the ProjectID.

   In the query behind your form, use both related tables, and then, just
lay out the fields on the form... just as if tblProjectID and tblData were
all fields in one table.  No subform needed...
--

> [...]
>> > always be properly associated with it's Parent Data record.
>> >
>> >    Let's say you create a new Data record with ProjectID 123.  If you
>> > have a
>> > proper relationship established between tblData, and tblEntry... any
>> > subform
>> > record entered will automatically be given a ProjectID of 123.  If you
>> > enter
>> > 10 subform records, each will have a ProjectID of 123... so the sub
>> > records
>> > are alwways properly associated with your Data records.
>> >    Access does that for you... because of the relationship.
>> > --
>> >     hth
>> >     Al Campagna
>> >     Microsoft Access MVP
>> >     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>> >
>> >     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your

0
Al
1/6/2008 1:39:12 AM
That was exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks so much for taking the time
to read through my "epic" explanations and responding.
"Al Campagna" wrote:

> [...]
> >> in my
> >> tables manageable.  tblData is really the main table that a large number
> >> of
> >> fields with demographic data in addition to the ProjectID field
> >>
> >> tblSE represents a specific type of project with it's unique fields.
> >> There
> >> are additional tables (similar to tblSE) that would contain data
> >> regarding
> >> specific types of projects and their unique fields, but each table would
> >> have
> >> a ProjectID field to tie back to tblData.  Again, only one record in each
> >> of
> >> these tables should ever have the same ProjectID.
> >>
> >> I suppose I could create one huge flat table, but it would have several
> >> hundred fields and I was trying to avoid that.
> >>
> >> Any additional recommendations on design?  Thanks again.

?WordArt, When Printing, First Character Has Dark Background?
Using Word or Publisher 2003, using WordArt, sometimes the document, including the WordArt, looks fine in Print Preview, but when I actually print (B&W is all I've tried), the first character of the WordArt has a dark background. If I have two WordArt objects in a document, one or the other will have the first character with a dark background. Explanation? Fix? -- (||) Nehmo (||) ...

Populating Excel from CSV
Hello all, I need to know how to populate an Excel template with data from a external CSV file. Let's say I have this nice pretty colourful templat that is far more pleasing to the eye than the usual chunk of importe CSV data, what are some methods to populate it with data from a CS file?? Any ideas or suggestions or redirections would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance : -- AJMorgan59 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777 View this thread: http://www.ex...

how do i bring a visual basic form to the spread sheet?
Hi, I have created a form using teh developer tab in excel in vb. The problem is anytime I want to access the form i need to go to the developer tab, click on vb and run it frorm there. What I would like to do is to bring the form to the spreadsheet so that I can run it directly from there. or better yet, be able to run the form independently of the spreadhseet. is that a possibility? Thanks a lot for your help, Maryam add a button to the spreadsheet and attach the code UserForm1.show 'or whatever the form name is You will not be able to run the form independant of ...

Sequence Not populated for the MO Numbers during Data Collection
When data collection is done for the MO Numbers by using the Data Collection Window under Manufaturing, the Sequnce look up does not show the whole list, it only shows NOTES, for the user to select and enter the necessary data. why does this happen in the case of some MO Numbers and in the others it shows all the sequnces as NOTES,MAKE READY, PRESS RUN, WASH UP, MAINTENANCE, REPAIRS, REWIND/INSPECTION, etc. Any information would be much appreciated -- Thanks AshaM It should show all of the router steps. Are some of your steps possibly marked to backflush labor? These steps would not...

Autoplay for Pictures Not Populated
I inserted my XD card in to my card reader today and the autoplay pop up window asking what I wanted Windows to do was blank. For Video, Music and Mixed content the options are there but not for Pictures - it is just blank. I have tried running autofix.exe but this has not fixed it. Any ideas? Is this a Microsoft problem or has something else caused this? It worked fine until today. Thanks. Peachypumpkin wrote: > I inserted my XD card in to my card reader today and the autoplay > pop up window asking what I wanted Windows to do was blank. For > Video, Music and Mi...

Converting older "File As" Last, First contacts to new Default "File As" (First Last) order, all at once?
Hi, I have 500+ contacts, that were originally created with "File As" being Last, First. My new "File As" order is First Last. Is there a any way to select all my existing contacts and convert the older Last, First contacts to the new "File As", without going through them all one_by_one and doing it manually? TIA. Bill Burke http://www.adondo.net Hello Bill, you can use the Tool "ChangeNames" (http://www.marchert.de/redirect.php?location=software_cn) to change the order automatically. Peter -- Peter Marchert [EDP-Service Marchert] Homepage: htt...

Customizing forms 07-02-04
OK - newbie question here. We've modified a couple of forms, and the changes show up fine when we are in the customization screens, but they never show up when the users are doing data entry. What are we missing? Fred Did you do Deployment Manager | All Tasks | Publish Customization ... ? >-----Original Message----- >OK - newbie question here. We've modified a couple of >forms, and the changes show up fine when we are in the >customization screens, but they never show up when the >users are doing data entry. What are we missing? > >Fred >. > Yep - I...

Data Val list Excel 97 fire macro
I have a column of cells which uses a data val list for entering data. The val list is dynamic and resides on the wks. When a user selects from the val list in a particular cell I would like a macro triggered which will place the date and time in the cell directly to the right (ie one column over, same row). I need help in how to trigger the macro because Excel 97 events are not fired from data entered using a val list residing on the wks. Thanks Richard -- rgarber50 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rgarber50's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

chart legend changing when I use Select data
Hi there, I'm hoping this is a simple question. I have a line chart that I need to update regularly. However, I find that when I change the data, the labels for the chart (the legend) resets to "series 1, series 2" etc. I'm currently right-clicking on the chart and choosing "Select data" and then manually altering the Chart data range. How do I change the data without changing the legend? Do you have your series labels defined to a cell, or did you manually type them? (cell be preferred). Actually, if you are "updating" your chart often, ...

Convert a form to a split form?
After creating a subform in single form view, I realized the users would sometimes like to see all of the records at once, though the single form allows much better visiblity to the data. Is there a simple way to convert it to a Split Form, or will I have to create a new split form and move all of the custom designed UI to the new form? I tried changing the Default View on my original form to Split Form, but this did not bring up the datasheet view - is there another setting I need to change? Mich ...

Can I protect data in a cell, but allow comments to be entered.
Hi All, I have an excel sheet in which I have some protected cells and unprotected cells. The protected cells are protected so that the forumla within them cannot be edited/removed, however, I would like all users to be able to insert comments in these fields. The edit objects selection when protecting the sheet allows for comment entry, but it also allows the user to alter the data in the cell. Any solutions/ advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Chris Sheet is not protected. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Co...

how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cells .
I have this worksheet problem. The work sheet is thousands of rows long. One of my columns has cells not populated. I would like to get any empty cell in this column to populate itself with the contents of the next populated cell below it? Kind of a "find and replace" action where by an empty cell says to it self;"I'm going fill myself in with the next thing I find below me" I would greatly appreciate if someone can relate how to do this. Thanks Jim, Select the column, use Edit | Go To... Special , Blanks, OK. Then type an equal sign, press the down arrow...

Customising forms does not work
I can customise the form, I see the changes even when going to the customisation later. In the actual working env. I do not see the changes, I have tried everything, save, create form etc. but nothing works. Any suggestions?? Publish the form from deployment manager and issue an IISRESET. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 00:53:08 -0700, "Vignir" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I can customise the form, I see the changes even when going to the customisation later. In the actual w...

2007
A client installed Access 2007 yesterday and now her form command buttons are not working. We have run a compile on the application code, with no errors. Checked the referenced libraries, nothing missing. She mentioned the form has a Filter OnLoad property that is not on my 2003 form properties. One command button no longer working builds a simple form filter string as follows: me.filter = filterstring me.filteron=true There are other command buttons on the form that run very simple code such as Docmd.OpenForm - nothing is working. I've reviewed the "Whats new in Access 2007&quo...

printing forms
Hi, i have this table in one sheet Name Surname Adress Tel.No. E-mail Gender Paul Gaultier Baker st 9995 paul@g.com M John Smith Rose st. 5556 john@smith.com F And in another sheet I have couple of forms (application forms, questionnaires) Applc. form. No.1 Name: Surname: Adress: E-mail: Gender: My wish is, to have buttons (or functions) next to each name, that will print each form with data of this person put in right boxes of the forms. Name Surname Adress Tel.No. E-mail Gender Print Form Paul Gaultier ...

Populating a field
I want to populate a description field based on a par number that is entered in the field before it. In other owrds, you enter a part number and presto, in the next field, the description is entered for you. Can you help?? Thanx Tom On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:48:01 -0800, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to populate a description field based on a par number that is entered >in the field before it. In other owrds, you enter a part number and presto, >in the next field, the description is entered for you. > >Can you help?? > >Thanx >Tom If yo...

Moving Palm Desktop data to outlook
I have a new HP Ipaq which only runs Outlook for calendar and contact information. All of my calendar and contacts are in Palm Desktop software. I can move through export files, the contact information, but I cannot find a way to export from Palm and import to outlook, the calendar information. Does anyone have a solution, software utility or other method to move all of the calendar information from Palm desktop to Outlook Thanks JEV jverzella@comcast.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a new HP Ipaq which only runs Outlook for calendar > and contact ...

Pass cell data to Query
Anyone know how to pass the contents of a cell to an sql query? I have a worksheet that I have connected to an SQL database that I want to query to get data. The worksheet is like an invoice. What I want is the user to input a product code and currency then the query to return the price. It sounds simple enough to do with a nested function but the price list is made complex by prices in different currencies so the level of nesting allowed is insufficient. I thought a database query would be a more appropriate solution but I can't find any information on how to do it in this way. -...

City and State Populated by Zip Code
Does anyone know of a way to load a program that when you type in the Zip Code the City and State are automatically populated? I have seen a MSCRM add-in from a company called QAS (http://www.qas.com/). This is more than just Zip Code/City&State. It's a full address validator along with streamlined data entry. They have integrated with CRM via an ISV pop-up and it seems to work fairly smoothly. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 15 Apr 2005 11:13:56 -0700, "Morgan" <tzeoli@att.net> wr...

Blank field in form
I have a query that gets some criteria (City and State) from a form. I have the State field set up as a ComboBox connected to a local table I created. If a user was to type in a City (i.e. "Springfield") and then leave the State field empty, then the query would have no results. How do I make the query so that if one of the fields on the form is left empty it will run for all possibilities (i.e. look for all Springfields in any state)? It would help tremendously if you had provided the SQL view of your query. Without that I can suggest you might use a where clause like...

Populate Textbox
Hi, I have a table with part numbers and locations. There are multiple locations per part number. I would like to populate a listbox with a filtered list of the locations for the part number shown on my form. I'm not very good at vba and have been looking all over for code, but can't find anything suitable. Thanks You have multiple locations per part number. So first, let's get your form set up correctly. When you have a one-to-many format (one salesman, many products or one part number, many locations) you need a form and subform. The Mainform would be for...

Outlook Journal Exporting Data
Hi All, Please help if you can. I recently set up a journal with various entries. I can export my data into an excel file. However, I can see journals from others that have chosen to share the journal with me and would like to export their data into excell as well. The brute force method is to copy their journals into a folder. But I was hoping there would be a more elegant solution where I can dump all journals at once to an excel file. This may be adumb question, hopefully it is and there is an easy way to do it??? Anyone know? Thanks in advance, BlackBear ...

How to get all the texts on all type controls in form?
I want to make the multi-languages program, want to get all texts of each control item in a form, then read the XML file (Control Name and Text) to write to the text of control, and have wrote some codes, but seem that it's complicated. Can anyone tell easy method or sample? thank you. ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Public Shared Sub AllControlOnForm(ByVal FormName As Form, ByVal xPath As String, Optional ByVal ToolTipName As ToolTip = Nothing) Try Dim ReturnValue As String = GetXMLText(xPat...

Sharing a calendar in XP w/Outlook?
Hi! :o) There are 3 of us in our office on XP using Outlook and we want to share our calendars. Is there an EASY way to do this. We all share a printer and Internet connection and we can see each others computers on "network places" but we DON'T have a server , just our PC's. We want to be able to share one calendar. Thank you! :o) See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm news.verizon.net wrote: > Hi! :o) > > There are 3 of us in our office on XP using Outlook and we want to > share our calendars. > > Is there an EASY way to do this. We all s...

Getting Data from a 2nd sheet to show in a dropdown box on sheet 1
I am tring to fill in some fields on 1 sheet from data on another I have an sheet1 where there is Name, Address, City, State, Zipcode, and phone. I want a drop downbox to list the names on another sheet2 if the name is on sheet 2 you select it in the combobox, it then fills in all the fields Name, Address, City, State, Zipcode, and phone on sheet 1. I have a form button on sheet 1 that if the name isnt on sheet2 you can add it with a form so that is taken care of. If it would be easier maybe have the Name field setup to where you just start typing the name and if there is a ma...