Opening a subfolder of %MyDocuments% using Shell explorer.exe

All,
I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with a problem I am having opening Windows Explorer from a forms element.

The following code works fine:

Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\"", vbNormalFocus"

However when I try to access a subdirectory of %MyDocuments% using the following, Windows Explorer just opens the root directory of my documents and ignores a subdirectory request.

Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\SomeFolder"", vbNormalFocus"

Additionally when Explorer opens under either of the above it opens minimized to the taskbar(I'm using Windows Vista and Office 2007).

if anyone has a clue as to how to correct either of these problems I would be grateful.  Thanks in advance. - CES
0
CES

Open a command prompt, and enter:
    SET
You will see a list of environment variables.
Use a name such as homepath.

You can open explorer to the specific folder using the /select switch, e.g.:
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, /select,"%homepath%\Documents"

Or you could just ShellExecute to open the default file manager like this:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm

"CES" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> All,
> I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with a problem I am
> having opening Windows Explorer from a forms element.
>
> The following code works fine:
>
> Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\"", vbNormalFocus"
>
> However when I try to access a subdirectory of %MyDocuments% using the
> following, Windows Explorer just opens the root directory of my documents
> and ignores a subdirectory request.
>
> Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\SomeFolder"", vbNormalFocus"
>
> Additionally when Explorer opens under either of the above it opens
> minimized to the taskbar(I'm using Windows Vista and Office 2007).
>
> if anyone has a clue as to how to correct either of these problems I would
> be grateful.  Thanks in advance. - CES

0
Allen
3/20/2007 2:56:50 AM
Hello CES,

This issue is because Vista has changed the behavior of the explorer when
you did not specify a right folder path.

In previous OS, when you did not specify a correct folder path, explorer
will give a error message to let you know. But in vista, explorer will only
redirect you to the My Documents.

According to your description, I assume that you did not add the
environment variable "%MyDocuments%" in your computer because it is not a
default environment variable.

You need to add this variable in your computer and direct to your own
document.

Or, you could use the %UserProfile%\Documents\ to direct to the documents
folder.

Hope this will be helpful!

Sincerely,

Wei Lu

Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

rights.)

0
weilu
3/20/2007 6:28:39 AM
I didn't think Access was capable of resolving references to environment
variables using % notation.

I thought you needed to use the Environ function to get at the values of the
variables, something like:

Shell """" & Environ("SystemRoot") & "\explorer.exe"" /e, /select,""" &
Environ("homepath" & "\Documents"""

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

> Open a command prompt, and enter:
>    SET
> You will see a list of environment variables.
> Use a name such as homepath.
>
> You can open explorer to the specific folder using the /select switch,
> e.g.:
>    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, /select,"%homepath%\Documents"
>
> Or you could just ShellExecute to open the default file manager like this:
>    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm

> "CES" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>> I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with a problem I am
>> having opening Windows Explorer from a forms element.
>>
>> The following code works fine:
>>
>> Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\"", vbNormalFocus"
>>
>> However when I try to access a subdirectory of %MyDocuments% using the
>> following, Windows Explorer just opens the root directory of my documents
>> and ignores a subdirectory request.
>>
>> Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\SomeFolder"", vbNormalFocus"
>>
>> Additionally when Explorer opens under either of the above it opens
>> minimized to the taskbar(I'm using Windows Vista and Office 2007).
>>
>> if anyone has a clue as to how to correct either of these problems I
>> would be grateful.  Thanks in advance. - CES

0
Douglas
3/20/2007 11:19:09 AM
Doug, you are right for the first environment variable, which must be
resolved to get the path to the executable.

The 2nd one explorer can resolve, so you can get away with:
    Shell( Environ("SystemRoot") & "\explorer.exe /e,
/select,""%homepath%\Documents""")

>I didn't think Access was capable of resolving references to environment
>variables using % notation.
>
> I thought you needed to use the Environ function to get at the values of
> the variables, something like:
>
> Shell """" & Environ("SystemRoot") & "\explorer.exe"" /e, /select,""" &
> Environ("homepath" & "\Documents"""
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
>> Open a command prompt, and enter:
>>    SET
>> You will see a list of environment variables.
>> Use a name such as homepath.
>>
>> You can open explorer to the specific folder using the /select switch,
>> e.g.:
>>    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, /select,"%homepath%\Documents"
>>
>> Or you could just ShellExecute to open the default file manager like
>> this:
>>    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm
>>
>> --
>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>>
>> "CES" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>> All,
>>> I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with a problem I am
>>> having opening Windows Explorer from a forms element.
>>>
>>> The following code works fine:
>>>
>>> Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\"", vbNormalFocus"
>>>
>>> However when I try to access a subdirectory of %MyDocuments% using the
>>> following, Windows Explorer just opens the root directory of my
>>> documents and ignores a subdirectory request.
>>>
>>> Shell "explorer.exe / e, ""%MyDocuments%\SomeFolder"", vbNormalFocus"
>>>
>>> Additionally when Explorer opens under either of the above it opens
>>> minimized to the taskbar(I'm using Windows Vista and Office 2007).
>>>
>>> if anyone has a clue as to how to correct either of these problems I
>>> would be grateful.  Thanks in advance. - CES

0
Allen
3/20/2007 12:46:30 PM
Allen Browne wrote:
> Doug, you are right for the first environment variable, which must be
> resolved to get the path to the executable.
>
> The 2nd one explorer can resolve, so you can get away with:
>    Shell( Environ("SystemRoot") & "\explorer.exe /e,
> /select,""%homepath%\Documents""")

Allen,
Unfortunately Using %homepath%\Documents assumes that the "My Documents" folder resides under C:\Users\UserName\Documents, in my case %MyDocuments% points to a different partition\folder "d:\Data Files\UserFiles\User Name" so unfortunately I'm left with my initial problem. Unfortanatly I can't hard code in the path becouse diferent users have diferant pathes.

Also when I looked at the environment variables that are available using SET "My Documents" or "Documents" were not listed. - CES

Another issue related to to this is

Shell "explorer.exe /e /select, """"", 1 - Will resolve to Computer(My Computer) which lists all of my hard drives. I'm assuming this is normal behavior.

However

Shell "explorer.exe /e /select, ""xxx ANYTEXT xxx""" - will always resolve to the my documents folder.

- CES
0
CES
3/21/2007 6:57:18 PM
Okay: perhaps you could ask in a Windows group if someone knows the
environment variable name for the user's Documents folder.

> Allen Browne wrote:
>> Doug, you are right for the first environment variable, which must be
>> resolved to get the path to the executable.
>>
>> The 2nd one explorer can resolve, so you can get away with:
>>    Shell( Environ("SystemRoot") & "\explorer.exe /e,
>> /select,""%homepath%\Documents""")
>>
> Allen,
> Unfortunately Using %homepath%\Documents assumes that the "My Documents"
> folder resides under C:\Users\UserName\Documents, in my case %MyDocuments%
> points to a different partition\folder "d:\Data Files\UserFiles\User Name"
> so unfortunately I'm left with my initial problem. Unfortanatly I can't
> hard code in the path becouse diferent users have diferant pathes.
>
> Also when I looked at the environment variables that are available using
> SET "My Documents" or "Documents" were not listed. - CES
>
> Another issue related to to this is
>
> Shell "explorer.exe /e /select, """"", 1 - Will resolve to Computer(My
> Computer) which lists all of my hard drives. I'm assuming this is normal
> behavior.
>
> However
>
> Shell "explorer.exe /e /select, ""xxx ANYTEXT xxx""" - will always resolve
> to the my documents folder.
>
> - CES

0
Allen
3/22/2007 12:07:32 AM
Or check http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0054.htm at "The Access Web"

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no private e-mails, please)

> Okay: perhaps you could ask in a Windows group if someone knows the
> environment variable name for the user's Documents folder.

> "CES" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> Allen Browne wrote:
>>> Doug, you are right for the first environment variable, which must be
>>> resolved to get the path to the executable.
>>>
>>> The 2nd one explorer can resolve, so you can get away with:
>>>    Shell( Environ("SystemRoot") & "\explorer.exe /e,
>>> /select,""%homepath%\Documents""")
>>>
>> Allen,
>> Unfortunately Using %homepath%\Documents assumes that the "My Documents"
>> folder resides under C:\Users\UserName\Documents, in my case
>> %MyDocuments% points to a different partition\folder "d:\Data
>> Files\UserFiles\User Name" so unfortunately I'm left with my initial
>> problem. Unfortanatly I can't hard code in the path becouse diferent
>> users have diferant pathes.
>>
>> Also when I looked at the environment variables that are available using
>> SET "My Documents" or "Documents" were not listed. - CES
>>
>> Another issue related to to this is
>>
>> Shell "explorer.exe /e /select, """"", 1 - Will resolve to Computer(My
>> Computer) which lists all of my hard drives. I'm assuming this is normal
>> behavior.
>>
>> However
>>
>> Shell "explorer.exe /e /select, ""xxx ANYTEXT xxx""" - will always
>> resolve to the my documents folder.
>>
>> - CES

0
Douglas
3/22/2007 1:03:08 AM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in

> Or check http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0054.htm at "The Access
> Web"

Wow. That's great code.

David
3/22/2007 2:39:39 PM
Douglas J. Steele wrote:
> Or check http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0054.htm at "The Access Web"

Douglas,
Normally I don't say thank you because it's just a distraction from your day... but that's exactly what I need and more. - CES
0
CES

WIN X Sp2 IE8.0 killed by CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE and or ? Cant get IE8 to access the web
Tonite, I Contracted 39 versions of what SuperAntiSpyware calls: ROGUE.AGENT/GEN in my Registry HKUS\S-1-5-21 (see below) etc (in 39 different file endings) and TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-FakeSpy[Broad] 3 copies 1. in HKUS\S-1-5-21-2952124706-32014773-2762605872-1007Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(jdfecxfs- C:\Documentsand Settings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\ubqllk\cpxrsysguard.exe and The other two in C:\ DocSettings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData where it again opened a Folder named UBQLLK and inserted 2 copies of CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE It beg...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Exchange 2003 Store.exe failure
Hello, Our Exchange Server 2003 recently exhibited the same issues as described in Nicolas Harnois's post (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=umCQCkuhDHA.944%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl). The problem starts with the following error: Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft Exchange Server Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 2/25/2004 Time: 3:43:10 AM User: N/A Computer: ACCEXC1 Description: The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Microsoft Exchange Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registr...

Using Workflow to update a picklist property.
How can we modify a value of a picklist in the workflow? For example when someone modify a picklist property on the Contact, I want the picklist property on Account with the same options is changed as well. How to do this? Create a new workflow under contact. Check Start when: “Record attributes change” Hit “select” button and chose respective pick list attribute (Changes to the attribute will trigger this workflow) Now add steps to the workflow 1) Check condition - select the contact pick list and pick list value from set properties 2) Add another step "Update record" Select “...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

Getting no of used rows in a worksheet
I ended up writing this function In an attempt to get the number of rows used in a worksheet. I tried using Rows.Count but it did not work (unless I was doing something stupid). This function does work, but I can't help wondering wether there is a more efficient method. Can anyone help??? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Public Function GetNoOfRows(Optional ByVal sSheetName As String) As Long ' gets no of rows by searching for the first non blank row from the bottom. Returns the row num...

Deserialization Problems Using XmlWriter vs. StringReader
I'm experiencing issues where XmlSerialier.Deserialize throws an exception when attempting to use a MemoryStream built with an XmlWriter vs. a standalone StringReader. It is attempting to deserialize a complex object. Here is what I have: 0. Environment: Visual Studio 2005, VB.Net. I won't go into the gory details of my complex object, just suffice to say that I need to return XML instead of the object directly from the web service. I'm also not including all of the code around things (try..catches, etc.) 1. I've defined a object built by using the Xsd.exe tool against a ...

Use defined names in VBA?
Hi all Any way to have Excel generate links or dimension variables so that VBA can use the defined names on the spreadsheet (menu: insert > name > define)? Or is it best to just Dim all the same variable names in code to match the defined names? Thanks! Hi try something like dim rng as range set rng=range("your_defined_name") msgbox rng.address -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany JRocket02 wrote: > Hi all > > Any way to have Excel generate links or dimension variables so that > VBA can use the defined names on the spreadsheet (menu: insert > name &...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

I do not have Excel on my computer. How do I open an attachment w.
How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have Excel installed on my computer? My model is Windows XP Home. You can use the free viewer available from microsoft web site that only allows viewing. Or, you can find a copy of open office/star office that allows you to import excel files. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF00A029-F488-4D1D-8257-B55F4E96A681@microsoft.com... > How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have > Excel ins...

International/ slow dial up use
How do companies deal with users who travel internationally for long periods of time and/or must use slow dial up connections to access exchange email? We have a VPN which can be used for direct access to exchange through Outlook and also use OWA on exchange 2003. Users complain that both of these methods are "too slow" when used internationally. We've modified send/receive groups so that they don't synch any folders, but only send and receive and email, but they still complain that is very slow (previously we just used a pop server). Same with using OWA on the basic setti...