Open a Form to a Specific Record

Hi Gang,
I have a database that has over 25,000 records in it. I have made a form that
users are able to view/modify the data in it. Instead of scrolling through
each record to get to the next record to be reviewed I was wondering if
anyone had a way to open the form to a specific record. I have and EmployeeID
and EmployeeName field. I would like the form to open if one or the other
fields are empty. Is there anyway to accomplish this? I'm lost!

Thanks for the help in advance

angelinarose

A couple ideas come to mind.

First, if your form is based directly on the table, your form is "loading"
25,000+ rows when it opens.  If you'll create a query that limits the number
of records, your form can be based on the query instead.

Also, if you add a combobox in the form's header, you can base that combo
box on a query that returns employees only after 2 (or 3, or 4, or ...)
characters have been entered.  This limits how many rows the combobox needs
to load.  Then, in the combobox's AfterUpdate event, you can re-query the
form ... which you will have based on a (new) query that uses the combobox's
value as a parameter.  The next effect is that the form opens "empty"
(nothing in the combobox, so the form's source query returns no record),
lets you pick an employee (in the combo box), then loads ONLY that
employee's record via the AfterUpdate event.

That should speed performance considerably...

Good luck

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"angelinarose via AccessMonster.com" <u37690@uwe> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
> I have a database that has over 25,000 records in it. I have made a form
> that
> users are able to view/modify the data in it. Instead of scrolling through
> each record to get to the next record to be reviewed I was wondering if
> anyone had a way to open the form to a specific record. I have and
> EmployeeID
> and EmployeeName field. I would like the form to open if one or the other
> fields are empty. Is there anyway to accomplish this? I'm lost!
>
> Thanks for the help in advance

Jeff

After sharepoint3 import from sp2, DNS records incorret?
Hello We have imported site to Sharepoint 3.0 (SBS2008) from Sharepoint 2. Now there are some strange occasional DNS lookup errors. Some pages fail to open but next time there is no problem opening the same page. DNS is running on the same local server where Sharepoint. Both have the same IP in fact.. With nslookup from workstation I noticed that "mycompanyweb" is resolved correctly while "http:/mycomanyweb" fails. 1. Might there be some (http:// prefix) missing in DNS server? 2. When there is a subsite "mycompanyweb/mydepartment", do we need ...

code to allow edits in form AND subform
Ok, here goes............. I have a form (frmBOL) which contains a subform (sfrmData). I have this code working to allow the form to be edited, but I can't seem to incorporate the subform into it. Everything I try gives me an error. Can anyone help? Private Sub cmdOK_Click() Dim sPassword As String sPassword = Nz(Me.txtPassword.Value, "") ' if it is a valid password, we let them edit the ' form that called this form. The calling form is ' responsible for check that the current user is ' either the QA tech on the record, or a me...

POP
Hello all, we have an issue where a PO was created with 4 line items and line item number 1 was not adding into the total on the report not the form which we did not know at the time.. then we had to edit line line 2 which at that time they noticed that the report was short still the line item #1 but the PO entry form showed the correct amount... I look into the tables and all seemed to be correct so it's just the report itself that is showing the incorrect amount.... any help would be great Hi Bam. See if the report itself has been customized. If it is, it could be a bug on the c...

Skip Records in a Form
I have a form in my database based on a table. The table is appended with new reocrds everyday. My goal is to have the form present only the new records and allow a user to key data into the new record and be recorded in the same table. The issue I have is that the form is displaying all records not just the new. Does anyone know a way to open a form and display only those records that have not been updated by the user? Thanks in advance Add a column for UpdateDate and update this column whenever a record is updated via the form. Set up a query to read all the rows/columns ...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Restarting Record Count in a Query
Hello, I have a query that returns these results for me: Badge No DepLastName DepFirstName 11111 Smith Mary 11111 Smith Joe 22222 Brown Bill 22222 Brown Mary 22222 Brown Jack I need to count the dependents that are linked to each Badge No so my results look like this Badge No Count DepLastName DepFirstName 11111 1 Smith Mary 11111 2 Smith Joe 22222 1 Brown Bill 22222 2 ...

Problem trying to open old money file

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

Table to form
I have a field in a table called ID. 4 posititions. I have a field in a subform where I want to enter an ID. If the ID is not in the table, I want to know. How can I connect them? By the way, if it is not in the table, I would want a message to pop up or the ability to add to the table on the fly. Thanks. On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:36:25 -0500, "rob peterson" <buster@owc.net> wrote: >I have a field in a table called ID. 4 posititions. What do you mean by "positions"?? >I have a field in a subform where I want to enter an ID. If the ID is not in >the tabl...

recording asset loan extra payments
How do I record and track an asset loan in Money 2002 when an extra payment amount is given(each month, our land payment check is for $1.02 more than it should be.) You create a loan account and setup a loan payment. Then you edit the splits of the loan payment and add a line for an extra Principal Transfer (that's the "category") of the $1.02. "Katy" <db0008@dragonbbs.com> wrote in message news:092701c38f72$1f31ffc0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > How do I record and track an asset loan in Money 2002 > when an extra payment amount is given(each month, our > l...

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

Exported form shows error
I exported a table and form to another database for use in another facility I operate. When I go to open the form, an error is displayed stating..."The record source '~sq_cSaidTable~sq_cList70' specified on this form or report does not exist" It then proceeds to alter the record souce in the form in design veiw. I have done that and the error persists. How do I repair this? -- Deltadog-Sacramento River Delta fisher extrodinairre... ...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Modify report to print individual group of records on separate pag
I am new to report writer and I am trying to figure out how to print individual employees records separately. It is an employee training records report where it group all of an employees training classes together. However, unless it fills the page, the next person's records are printed and I'm trying to start each new group on a new page. I don't know where to find the group properties. Please help. Amytdev. I think you need to create an additional footer. The additional footer can have the "Page Break" option set, causing a new page to be started. Below is the p...

update many fields in a form from existing info.
I have 2 tables. One table stores various information about companies including company name, address, etc. The second table stores student names. In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and, as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked to the company name table at all). What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one company from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form automatically fill in - pulling the ...

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...