Not In List, saving data

I am having trouble saving data in a record.

Using NotInList event for a client selector combo box I add a new record for
a client and open a data entry form to enter data for a new (previously
non-existent client).

Using the code below I add the record to my client table, but no data (other
than that key field) stays in the table.

Code attached to NotInList event:
   Dim dbsMyDatabase As DAO.Database
   Dim rstClients As DAO.Recordset
   Dim intAnswer As Integer
   Dim stdocName, stLinkCriteria As String

   stdocName = "1frmDEClient"
   stLinkCriteria = "[ClientID]=" & "'" & NewData & "'"

   NewData = UCase(NewData)

   On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

   intAnswer = MsgBox("Add " & NewData & " to the list of Clients?", _
      vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

   If intAnswer = vbYes Then
      ' Add client stored in NewData argument to the client table.
      Set dbsMyDatabase = CurrentDb
      Set rstClients = dbsMyDatabase.OpenRecordset("tbl 1 Client")
      rstClients.AddNew
      rstClients!ClientID = NewData
      rstClients.Update

      Response = acDataErrAdded         ' Requery the combo box list.
      DoCmd.OpenForm stdocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acAdd, acDialog, NewData
   Else
      Response = acDataErrDisplay       ' Require the user to select an
existing client.
      Me.cboClient = Null
   End If

   Set rstClients = Nothing
   Set dbsMyDatabase = Nothing
   Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
   MsgBox "Error #: " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & Err.Description
End Sub

Then, in the Load event of the data entry form:
Private Sub Form_Load()
If Not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then
   Me![ClientID] = Me.OpenArgs
End If

End Sub

This code does add the record, but I am unable to retain the data I enter on
the data entry form.  Also, I will have subform(s) that I will need to be
adding data to (they will have their own table.)

What have I done wrong?
How do I get data in the client table?
Then, how do I get data into the suborm's tables?

Help is very much appreciated.

Chrissy

I suspect that your combo box has two collums, the first being the ID, and
the 2nd being the text.

The not in list event returns the TEXT VALUE that the user typed in, NOT the
ID value...

You could actually same some code by opening the form in add mode.

here is how:

The easy way to do this is have ms-access do ALL of the work for you. So,
given that new data is the actually text you typed into the combo, then you
can do the following:

Private Sub Distributee_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)

   if MsgBox("Do you want to add this value to the list?", _
          vbYesNo) then
      DoCmd.OpenForm "frmAddClient", , , , acFormAdd, acDialog, NewData
      Response = acDataErrAdded
   Else
      Response = acDataErrContinue
   End If

 End Sub

The above is ALL YOU need. You can see it is not much code.

Note that by setting response = acDataErrAdded, then ms-access does a
re-load, and a re-query of the comb box list for you. In other words, quite
a bit of stuff happens to ensue that the combo box is re-loaded, and re-set.

However, there
is one thing we should do, and that is that then the frmAddClient loads, we
should put in the NewData value into the correct field so the user does not
have to re-type it. (and it helps the user "see" things a lot better". So,in
our forms on-load event, we will take the value of NewData, and set the
correct field. The code for this is:

if isnull(me.OpenArgs) = false then

   me.CompanyName = me.Openargs

endif

That is all you need. However, to make life a bit easier to your users,
there are a good number of things you should set in frmAddClent to make life
better.

They are:

Set the forms "cycle" property to current. This means the cursor when on the
bottom of the screen at the last field does not jump to another record. It
is horrible when a user bumps the tab key, and access goes to another
record, so, set the forms cycle property (other tab) to current. In fact,
this is a good setting for most forms, and NOT just this add example.

Since this is just a add form, then turn off the record navigation at the
bottom, again this serves only to confuse the user (since you have a
frmAddClient, I bet you already did this too). Why confuse the user!

Further, turn off the forms ability to "add new" records. Yes, you read this
100% correct. You want turn off the forms allow additions property. The
reason for this is that the above "open" form will OVER RIDE this setting.
This is ideal, since once again, hitting page/down key, or even the mouse
wheel will not cause the form to jump to another record, and confuse the
heck out of the user (this is along the same lines as the tab key setting
above as per "cycle" setting).

Note if you need this form to do "double duty" and want to use it in other
places in the application to allow the user will add MORE THEN ONE record at
a time, then put the follwing in the forms on open

if isnull(me.OpenArgs) = false then

   me.Company = me.Openargs
   me.AllowAdditions = false
   Me.NavigationButtons = False

endif

That way, this form can be used else where in the program, but for our combo
box, the navigation buttons, and accidental adding of MORE THEN one record
will not occur.

All in all, you don't have to do any of the additional things I mention
above, but can *just* use the short sample code, but all of the above
together makes a real slick app.

If wanted to get your example code working, I would pickup the id *just*
added

eg:

   Dim rstClients    As DAO.Recordset
   Dim lngID         As Long

   NewData = UCase(NewData)
   On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
   If MsgBox("Add " & NewData & " to the list of Clients?", _
      vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
      ' Add client stored in NewData argument to the client table.
      Set rstClients = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("tbl 1 Client")
      rstClients.AddNew
      rstClients!ClientID = NewData
      lngID = rstClients!ID
      rstClients.Update
      rstClients.Close
      DoCmd.OpenForm stdocName, , , "id = " & lngID,, acDialog
      Response = acDataErrAdded         ' Requery the combo box list.
   Else
      Response = acDataErrDisplay       ' Require the user to select an
   End If

   Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
   MsgBox "Error #: " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & Err.Description

the above assume the record has a primary key of "id" (in your case, could
there be more then one clientID of the same????).

Also, you don't need any of your code in the forms on-load to set the values
because you ALREADY setup and loaded the values in he record...if you load
the form to the same record, then any fields you set in the above recordset
code will appear correctly when the form loads. Further DO NOT open the form
in add mode, as that will got to a NEW record..and we already created the
record in code (assuming your recordset example).

You can use either approach, but I might as well take the extra time to
point out why your example not working in addition to the other solution.

--
Albert D. Kallal     (MVP)
Edmonton,  Alberta Canada

0
Albert
3/17/2008 12:36:57 AM
Albert, thanks so much.  I used the short code and it works fine.  Thanks
also for taking the time to explain my code as well.  I guess what confuses
me (very much an amateur) is the usually simple way to accomplish a task. I
seem to always find the more complex way first!!!

To complete my current issue -- I think -- how would I code to return the
user to the newly created record on the main client form -- on closing the
new client add form?

--
Thanks for your help,
Chrissy

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:

> [...]
> because you ALREADY setup and loaded the values in he record...if you load
> the form to the same record, then any fields you set in the above recordset
> code will appear correctly when the form loads. Further DO NOT open the form
> in add mode, as that will got to a NEW record..and we already created the
> record in code (assuming your recordset example).
>
> You can use either approach, but I might as well take the extra time to
> point out why your example not working in addition to the other solution.
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal     (MVP)
> Edmonton,  Alberta Canada
> NoooSPAmkallal@msn.com
> http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

> To complete my current issue -- I think -- how would I code to return the
> user to the newly created record on the main client form -- on closing the

Use the combo box after update event (it don't fire unless the value
changes).

I also did not realize that the combo box is based on the same table as the
form.

The problem here is we can NOT move the form to this new record, because the
new
records not been loaded into the forms record set yet.

This means we have to requery the form so the recordset is re-loaded, and
THEN
you can move to that record..

I should note that this approach can actually cause problems in a multi user
environment. I write a lot of tour and event management systems in MS
access.
If you just added a new client to the database, and then the person hangs up
the phone, and then about ten minutes later the person phones back, but a
**different** person in the office picks up the phone, then their form will
NOT be able to display or search or find this new record (the name
will NOT appear in the combo box either). In other words
this design does not work well in a multi-user environment to find new
records.

A simple solution to the above problem is to simply modify how you search
and find records.

I give some ideas on the searching idea here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Search/index.html

The main concept and idea in above is that you simply display a list of your
search values, then click on that particular valued to display an edit the
one record in the form. That way you're only ever loading one record into
the form, and the instant that any new record is added to the system, you'll
be able to search and find it.

Note that these kind of systems also encourage the users to search for the
record first, and THEN add the record AFTER they not found the record. If
you throw users right into a form, they tend to start adding records first,
and thus the design does not encourage or nudge your users in the direction
to search first, and *then* add the name. The above type search form does
encourage searching first.

To "move" the current form to the new record, you can use the combo box
after update:

me.RecordSource = "select * from yourTable where id = " & mycomboBox

(I am assuming that the 1st column of the combo box is the primary key..and
is a number type).

You could also consider doing a requery, and then a bookmark/find first type
of approach (but, a requery is not very bandwidth friendly in that your
forcing the form to re-load *all* of its records, and your user don't
need to see/view all records...they are JUST working on the ONE record.

I think it is a more clean to place a search form BEFORE you load the form.
And, your search form can have an add button they can use
when they not found what they are looking for. This design also is better
since your form ONLY ever loads up to one record, of and that makes your
application network friendly.

I do have a simple sample of a search form in my super easy word merge
sample here:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html

There's quite a few benefits to using a search form in place in the combo
box.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert

Customizing Activities\History LIst
Is there a way to add a date to Activities' History list? It would be nice to know when each activity happened. Thanks, Troy Troy, no way currently, although Microsoft has mentioned it might be an option in version 2.0 (nothing is guaranteed!) A few ISVs have custom products that do it... www.salentica.com www.c360.com Dave "Troy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:af6b01c436bd$ce671f00$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to add a date to Activities' History > list? It would be nice to know when each activity > happened. >...

Better to "nest" or use multi-level list?
I'm in the process of creating/defining a style(s) for a list that will be numbered in "level 1" and have indented bullets in "level 2." For such a list is it better to define a multi-level list style and linked paragraph styles? Or use one's already defined numbered list and use one of the Word's pre-defined bullet lists when needed for the second level? As part of this question, is is preferable not to have a style "nested" within another style or doesn't it matter? Thank you. -- Norm Hi Norm: I'm not sure why yo...

Distribution List Changes
Hi All, I have a mail enabled distribution list with four users. Only those users plus the Administrator have rights on this group. Yet a seperate user is able to add / edit or remove users to this group even though they do not belong to this group. The user does not even have admin rights and is able to make changes. Let me know of any options I can try. Thanks Waynear wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a mail enabled distribution list with four users. Only those > users plus the Administrator have rights on this group. > > Yet a seperate user is able to add / edit or remov...

Exchange Data Storage Question
I have an idea for my company on how to re-store our Exchange data to be more disk efficient (I/O wise) and would like your opinions. Right now Exchange 2000 is running on a PowerEdge 1750 (on Server 2000). The physical box has (and can only hold internally) 3 hard drives, and they’re running Raid 5. I’ve read reports that Exchange has been set up on PowerEdge 1750's but the exchange database and logs are stored on a NAS, and I think they use a PowerVault in the example I read. We have a Dell PowerVault 220S that is attached to a *different* server (not to our Exchange server)....

Sound shows on custom Annimation list yet no sound heard
When the PP Presentation is saved as a show,some slides have sound and some do not. All sound came from the same folder. Also, when playing the slides while in PPPresentation, swome have sound and some do not despite all being indicated on custom annimation lisy and all startin "after previous." Thanks! Often when one sound plays but another doesn't, it's an issue of the length of the file path. What's the file path to your music? Is it really long? If so, the longer-named songs might just be hitting the length limit. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.ec...

Drop Down List and Check Box
Hi...I was search for this topic but don`t found the solve...Anyway I have a drop down list like this [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox.txt] and this [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox2.txt] ok my questions is what is (Blanks) and (NonBlanks)...? Is it possible for me to see only all the check box that was checked or vice versa...??? How to make a total below the checkbox i mean when someone check the check box, a total number appear below the last check box [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox3.txt] [image: http://www.g...

Data Sort with header row
How can I set the default so that the "with header row" indicator is flagged as opposed to the "without header row"? Hi Ian, Don't think you can. You can help Excel make a guess by making the formatting of the header row differ from the data below it, by making the header Text, and Bold; which helps but is far from being reliable. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Ian" <ian@ckf....

Moving data from popup to subform
I've created several popup continuous forms. The underlying table has no relationship with any other tables. They represent unique items for sale in a particular category. I have other tables like it of other categories, again with each item (record) unique. A form that contains customer information has a sub form for orders. They are linked by a customer ID. I intend to place buttons on the form to popup the categories forms as I need them. I want to select record(s) from the categories popups and create a new record with this data on the orders sub form. Thus, when I finish man...

how reliable is the "Who has you in their contact list" list?
Because someone who I think has recently (within the last week) deleted me is still on this list (I don't think she blocked me), but when I check who deleted me on blockstatus.com, he shows up. could it be it's not updated? which of the two would be more reliable? -- maykk Greetings, Do not use these websites, they will steal your identity and sell it. You should change your password immediately. That said, in general, the "who has..." list within Messenger is accurate. There have been instances over the last six-months or so where the list (and m...

Sample Range of Data
I have created a sample using data analysis but I want the sample to include all of the columns, not just the sample #. For example if I use data analysis to select a random sample from a worksheet it will return just the sample area I selected. It appears I can only sample on numeric values so I have and the numbers 1, 2, 3....in the first column. What I would like to see is when it returns the sample that it returns all columns not just the first one. Hope I made sense. Jamie ...

Selecting from contacts list
I have all my contacts in the Contacts List and I want to delete all those with a common extension i.e. all those who have email addresses @hotmail. I am using Outlook 2007 Can you do a search or advanced search which will show the contact you want to delete? You should be able to highlight & delete them from the results. "GrahamC" <GrahamC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AC1880D-9632-4ED9-BAE2-7083690B9FA7@microsoft.com... > I have all my contacts in the Contacts List and I want to delete all those > with a common extension i.e. all t...

Script to list access right
Hi I am trying to find any script which would generate list of login users with certain access level (select, write etc.) at one particular database. Is there something like that? Thanks. Justin ...

a list of lists
currently i use CArray to keep track of a list of objects, but I don't know MFC classes well enough to keep track of a list of lists. I'd appreciate some suggestions "wanwan" <ericwan78@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1187535523.924671.143350@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > currently i use CArray to keep track of a list of objects, but I don't > know MFC classes well enough to keep track of a list of lists. I'd > appreciate some suggestions You might want to embedd your list based on CArray into a class (e.g. CListOfSomething), and then ...

Smart List export to Excel #2
Hi, We are using Dynamics 9.0 and Office 2003. When we try to do a Smart List export to Excel, we keep getting an "Exception_Class_Object_Exception" that references varying object errors, such as 'Cells' or 'Value'; the object errors will change each time we try an export. As a workaround, I've found that closing Excel before doing the export allows the export to complete successfully. However, that solution isn't acceptable, as our Dynamics users would like to be able to work in Excel, doing other tasks, while the export is processing. Does anyone...

Saving custom colors
Is there any way to save the colors which are selected from the 'more colors' prism for both Font and Highlight. I have to keep re-selecting my colors each time I open Excel. I see a Custom tab and drop down boxes on that tab that but I dont see a save button. Thanks ...

List of different values in data area
Hi excel specialists, How Can I automatically get the list of different values from the dat area and to find out their frequence? INDIVIDUALLY MEASURED VALUES: 3,5 4 3,5 4 3 3,5 4 4 3 3,5 4 3 3,5 3 3 3,5 4 4 Thanks for your help in advance. Balcovja -- balcovj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- balcovja's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39572 Take a look at FREQUENCY in Hep -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if m...

Can't save versions of Budget
Version: 2002 Std (Aust) I update my budet then when I try to save it, i get the error message 'This operation cannot be performed' although I have been able to do so in the past... Any hints? Regards, Anthony ...

Fields in items list-- add/delete
Hai, I am using RMS version 1.2. In Stores Operations Manager it displays list of items when click on Database-->Items. It displays only five columns. Now i need to add / delete some fields in this list. Is it possible to add or delete the fields? if yes how can i add the fields? Thanks in advance, Nagendra On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:22:02 -0700, "Nagendra" <Nagendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to add or delete the fields? if yes how can i add the fields? I don't think so antonio ...

Can data in one text box automatically appear in another?
I am trying to design a form in Publisher, and would like to link text boxes so that data entered in one will automatically appear in another on the same page. Is this feasible? How will this form be used? "G.O.G." <G.O.G.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:E4C951DF-7D4F-4FC1-8F6B-2C0B4EB8882A@microsoft.com... > I am trying to design a form in Publisher, and would like to link text = boxes=20 > so that data entered in one will automatically appear in another on = the same=20 > page. Is this feasible? Maybe with some programming... -- Mary Saue...

Global Address List and Handhelds
We use Ipaqs throughout the company, and I was wondering if there is anyway to have exchange add the GAL to the outlook contacts on the workstation, so that when they sync up, they will retrieve the Global Address List? In news:%23TkYtT0$GHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, Flip <phil.atkinson@beltek.com> typed: > We use Ipaqs throughout the company, and I was wondering if there is > anyway to have exchange add the GAL to the outlook contacts on the > workstation, so that when they sync up, they will retrieve the Global > Address List? No (and this wouldn't really be an ...

remove small list from large list
I have two mail lists on excel. The first has 16,000 names, the second has about 6,000. I need to remove the 6,000 from the 16,000 as they all appear in the big list as well. How do I extract those 6,000 entries from the larger list? My expected result is a mailing list with 10,000 names. Chip Pearson has some techniques at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Howie J. wrote: > > I have two mail lists on excel. The first has 16,000 names, the second has > about 6,000. I need to remove the 6,000 from the 16,000 as they all appear > in the big list as well. How do ...

Series with noncontiguous unequal length data?
I have 12 months of data and an average of the 12 months that are in a series on a chart. I reference the data using an offset formula. I would like to move the average at the bottom of the column of data to another column, but I don't know a way to still include that one cell in the series with the 12 months of data in the original column. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any advice! Copy the cell that was moved. Select the chart. From the top menu goto Edit --> Paste Special... Make sure New Points is selected in the pop up dialog box, and click OK. That one point should be...

Outlook unable to save print settings
I have a Outlook user that, when she chooses to print via File, print I get the following message; Unable to save the print settings. Make sure that c:\winnt\microsoft\outlook\outlprnt exists and can be written to". It she clicks on the print icon within outlook it prints fine. I have verified the file and user rights. Any ideas are welcome! ...

save invoice data.
Hello I have made an excel workbook in excel 2000. sheet1 = Invoice sheet2= Products sheet3= Customers sheet4= Suppliers sheet5= OverView I have been able to make the invoice getting products, customer info via data validation "list" and "Vlookup". The question is how to save an invoice ecah time so I can get total products (update product quantity remaning) sold and customer account balance. I know it is not a clear question but any idea or link for a start would be appriciated. regards ...

To-do list
In Outlook 2007, I can't find a way to show a short summary of my e-mail inbox on my Calendar page, similar to the way Outlook shows a To-do list of calendar items on my Mail page. It would save me a lot of switching back and forth. If there is a way, please tell me. If not, maybe you could consider adding it to the next version of Outlook. Otherwise, I love the program. -- BB ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the mes...