multiple item select from a combo box

I want to use this as a navigational tool, rather than to "input" values into
a database.

This control will be on a form that sets parameters for graphical chart
displays.
One of the requirements is to be able to select multiple values from a 2nd
combo box after a 'parent' 1st combo box determines what should be in the 2nd
one.

I have a couple of ideas of how to do this, but was just wondering if
someone has already tackled something like this before.

I suppose I could populate a temporary table that has yes/no values in it
and display that in a subform (which scrolls) and have a button beside the
subform.  But short of trying that immediately, I wouldn't mind any other
suggestions.

Oh, also I am planning to create a formula that creates the string  "a, d,
f"  to be used as my parameter after the multiple items are selected.

Why not have your second combobox a listbox instead?  Then you could set the
listbox property to multiselect.  The rowsource of the listbox would be a
sql string based on the selection in the first combobox.  See listbox
Selected property in vbHelp for an example.

Damon

"jonefer" <jonefer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to use this as a navigational tool, rather than to "input" values
>into
> a database.
>
> This control will be on a form that sets parameters for graphical chart
> displays.
> One of the requirements is to be able to select multiple values from a 2nd
> combo box after a 'parent' 1st combo box determines what should be in the
> 2nd
> one.
>
> I have a couple of ideas of how to do this, but was just wondering if
> someone has already tackled something like this before.
>
> I suppose I could populate a temporary table that has yes/no values in it
> and display that in a subform (which scrolls) and have a button beside the
> subform.  But short of trying that immediately, I wouldn't mind any other
> suggestions.
>
> Oh, also I am planning to create a formula that creates the string  "a, d,
> f"  to be used as my parameter after the multiple items are selected.

0
Damon
1/26/2008 8:33:36 PM
I need for the control to take up the small footprint of the combo box and to
be able to scroll also, can this be done?

That's why I thought of a subform which you can squish down to the size of
one textbox (except for 1/4" on the right side).

"Damon Heron" wrote:

> Why not have your second combobox a listbox instead?  Then you could set the
> listbox property to multiselect.  The rowsource of the listbox would be a
> sql string based on the selection in the first combobox.  See listbox
> Selected property in vbHelp for an example.
>

> Damon
>
> "jonefer" <jonefer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to use this as a navigational tool, rather than to "input" values
> >into
> > a database.
> >
> > This control will be on a form that sets parameters for graphical chart
> > displays.
> > One of the requirements is to be able to select multiple values from a 2nd
> > combo box after a 'parent' 1st combo box determines what should be in the
> > 2nd
> > one.
> >
> > I have a couple of ideas of how to do this, but was just wondering if
> > someone has already tackled something like this before.
> >
> > I suppose I could populate a temporary table that has yes/no values in it
> > and display that in a subform (which scrolls) and have a button beside the
> > subform.  But short of trying that immediately, I wouldn't mind any other
> > suggestions.
> >
> > Oh, also I am planning to create a formula that creates the string  "a, d,
> > f"  to be used as my parameter after the multiple items are selected.

Ok I'm using a listbox which I've set the multi-select property to
'Extended'.  The dilemma I am having is that when I click the scroll bar, it
changes the selection.  For example if I select A and B and then I click the
scroll bar to try to select other values, my A and B selection becomes
UNSELECTED and  only C becomes selected.

"Damon Heron" wrote:

> Why not have your second combobox a listbox instead?  Then you could set the
> listbox property to multiselect.  The rowsource of the listbox would be a
> sql string based on the selection in the first combobox.  See listbox
> Selected property in vbHelp for an example.
>

> Damon
>
> "jonefer" <jonefer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to use this as a navigational tool, rather than to "input" values
> >into
> > a database.
> >
> > This control will be on a form that sets parameters for graphical chart
> > displays.
> > One of the requirements is to be able to select multiple values from a 2nd
> > combo box after a 'parent' 1st combo box determines what should be in the
> > 2nd
> > one.
> >
> > I have a couple of ideas of how to do this, but was just wondering if
> > someone has already tackled something like this before.
> >
> > I suppose I could populate a temporary table that has yes/no values in it
> > and display that in a subform (which scrolls) and have a button beside the
> > subform.  But short of trying that immediately, I wouldn't mind any other
> > suggestions.
> >
> > Oh, also I am planning to create a formula that creates the string  "a, d,
> > f"  to be used as my parameter after the multiple items are selected.

Read the vb help on listboxes multiselect -Extended requires you to hold
down the Shift key to make multiple selections.  Simple selects or unselects
by simply clicking the mouse on the selections you want. You may want to
temporarily make your listbox larger until you are familiar with how it
works.

> Ok I'm using a listbox which I've set the multi-select property to
> 'Extended'.  The dilemma I am having is that when I click the scroll bar,
> it
> changes the selection.  For example if I select A and B and then I click
> the
> scroll bar to try to select other values, my A and B selection becomes
> UNSELECTED and  only C becomes selected.
>
> "Damon Heron" wrote:
>
>> Why not have your second combobox a listbox instead?  Then you could set
>> the
>> listbox property to multiselect.  The rowsource of the listbox would be a
>> sql string based on the selection in the first combobox.  See listbox
>> Selected property in vbHelp for an example.
>>

>> Damon
>>
>> "jonefer" <jonefer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to use this as a navigational tool, rather than to "input" values
>> >into
>> > a database.
>> >
>> > This control will be on a form that sets parameters for graphical chart
>> > displays.
>> > One of the requirements is to be able to select multiple values from a
>> > 2nd
>> > combo box after a 'parent' 1st combo box determines what should be in
>> > the
>> > 2nd
>> > one.
>> >
>> > I have a couple of ideas of how to do this, but was just wondering if
>> > someone has already tackled something like this before.
>> >
>> > I suppose I could populate a temporary table that has yes/no values in
>> > it
>> > and display that in a subform (which scrolls) and have a button beside
>> > the
>> > subform.  But short of trying that immediately, I wouldn't mind any
>> > other
>> > suggestions.
>> >
>> > Oh, also I am planning to create a formula that creates the string  "a,
>> > d,
>> > f"  to be used as my parameter after the multiple items are selected.

0
Damon

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Supplier Reorder Number in Item Properties blocks paste
Why would the field for supplier reorder number not accept a paste function? Do you guy realize that many supplier item numbers are TEN DIGITS LONG???? So, I am supposed to enter 5000 items and all their respective item numbers from my distributors and HAND KEY those numbers in? How STUPID. Mickie, Actually it does work, its just kinda stupid. Enter a single digit, erase it, paste it. It may or may not display, but just click on OK. -- * "Mickie" <Mickie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB566A1F-3296-42DE-8333-B15E913274D3@microsoft.com... Why would ...

Charting multiple multiples

Order of Events when using the Control Box Close Button
I would like to intercept the built in messages that are generated by Access about required data when a user clicks on the Close Button. The Close Button is enabled by setting the Control Box and Close Button form properties to "Yes". Does anyone know what the order of events is when using the Close Button? Thanks much! Answered in later post. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "accesswanabe" <accesswanabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E44530CC-48AE-4134-A896-BFC71F032F68@microsoft.com... >I...

Single click selects multiple cells

Treat Inventory item purchase for a Project through POP like drop.
Now, the item is received into inventory when the Purchase Order is received upon-leaving it available for any other sale. An inventory adjustment is required to actually assign the item to the project. The purchase of inventory item for a project through POP should be treated similar to a drop-ship purchase - not run through inventory. -- Jeff Burns, CPA TECHVISIONS, LLC ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you...

distributing data into multiple cells

trigger on select
Hi all, I know that "trigger on select" does not exists, I'm searching something to accomplish this need: I have a table, let's say: [Some_table] [ID] int primary key [Flag] bit [Some_Field] nvarchar(40) when a user (all user) does a select on a row of that table that has [Flag]=1 the select statement does not returns the correct value for [Some_Field] column but a specific value that I specify in the "trigger on selest". How can I do this? This script was written by Dejan Sarka long times ago and since you have not provided us wi...

ac2007, hide "home", "add-ins" menu items
I have several Access 2000 applications I must make work in all versions of Access. For Access 2007 I used the trick to hide the ribbon, which is nice. Unfortunately there are still menu items I need to turn off. These are deployed applications and users are not offered anything to click except what's been programmed. Specifically there's still a little Access icon which does maximize, minimize, move, restore on the Access window, a "Home" menu item, and an "Add-Ins" menu item. These are next to the Office Button. I dumped out all the command bars ...

no "today" in mail box
some times my email folder does not show "today" whilst showing "yesterday" and other dates. Where is it? Because you haven't received mail today yet? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Michel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99db01c48682$29a02c90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > some times my email folder does not show "today" whilst > showing "yesterday" and other da...

Sending to multiple addresses

Remember selections in Table Names Lookup window (Dex Runtime)
In Microsoft Dynamics GP, the user can view details on database tables in the Table Descriptions window (Tools>>Resource Descriptions>>Tables). If the user clicks the elipsis (...) button to the right of the table name, a lookup window opens. The user needs to choose both the product, series, and view by option that he or she is working with, and the list of tables will display. At least 10 times a day I go into this window, and oftentimes I don't select the table I really want first. That means I need to do a second lookup, select the product, series, and view by aga...

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Entering Items in the POS System
I have a concern with the POS module in RMS. I currently have Cashiers set up with minimal access rights for security reasons. The problem is, even when I log in with the limited cashier login and i scan in an item, if I click on the minus button on the num lock pad it opens the return screen. Even If I set the security to disable every button on the Return Reason Code screen, the ESC button or closing the window creates a negative value. This creates serious security issues for my company since it allows cashiers to perform Supervisor functions. Any ideas on how to work around this? ...

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

CListView Single Item Height
Does anyone know if there is a way to independently set the heights of individual items within a list view in DETAILS mode? WM_MEASUREITEM seems to set a uniform height for every item within the view. I've searched this newsgroup and the web, and no one seems to have a definitive answer. Help would be much appreciated; I've been banging my head against the wall on this one today. Regards, Jason "Jason Crew" <jason.crew@crewandassociates.com> wrote in message news:#YX$P3C#DHA.3816@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a way to independently se...

How can I use my Access list to email selective groups?
How can I use an Access List to email selective groups without having to go to my Outlook Address Book? ...