Linking to CSV text files is it safe

Hi
If I link to a CSV ( comma seperated value) file does access think of this
as a table with records and behave the same way.
I was wondering what would happen if you had say 5000 records in a text file
and each record had 50 fields Would it be slower than if the 5000 records
were in an Access Table. Can anybody give me some info on problems or limits
on this type of action.
An example of potential problem maybe and could be if the computer over
writes the text file with updated data while the database is reading records
from it.
Any comments most welcome
Steve - From a land down under

On Jan 4, 9:50 am, Steve <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi
> If I link to a CSV ( comma seperated value) file does access think of this
> as a table with records and behave the same way.
> I was wondering what would happen if you had say 5000 records in a text file
> and each record had 50 fields Would it be slower than if the 5000 records
> were in an Access Table. Can anybody give me some info on problems or limits
> on this type of action.
> An example of potential problem maybe and could be if the computer over
> writes the text file with updated data while the database is reading records
> from it.
> Any comments most welcome
> Steve - From a land down under

Access makes the CSV file look like a table but it's not that way
under the covers and doesn't offer anything like the performance of a
'real' table. You can get into all sorts of file locking issues,
format problems and other maintenance nasties - I used this method for
a few months on a CSV directory of names/addresses for a firm that
totaled 40,000 rows and it was a nightmare.

Instead, I imported the CSV and handled it from within Access, which
turned out to be much more stable. Is there any reason you want to
stay within the CSV?

-- James
0
Minton
1/4/2008 7:00:08 PM
the usual thing of course I have a customer with an accounts package that
will only export names and address in CSV Text and the customer wants the
address to use in a Access Quote package that he has created.
So in your opinion its better to update and append files from a CSV to an
Access back end table and let the front ends link to the access back end
table.
Steve - from a land down under

"Minton M" wrote:

> On Jan 4, 9:50 am, Steve <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> > If I link to a CSV ( comma seperated value) file does access think of this
> > as a table with records and behave the same way.
> > I was wondering what would happen if you had say 5000 records in a text file
> > and each record had 50 fields Would it be slower than if the 5000 records
> > were in an Access Table. Can anybody give me some info on problems or limits
> > on this type of action.
> > An example of potential problem maybe and could be if the computer over
> > writes the text file with updated data while the database is reading records
> > from it.
> > Any comments most welcome
> > Steve - From a land down under
>
> Access makes the CSV file look like a table but it's not that way
> under the covers and doesn't offer anything like the performance of a
> 'real' table. You can get into all sorts of file locking issues,
> format problems and other maintenance nasties - I used this method for
> a few months on a CSV directory of names/addresses for a firm that
> totaled 40,000 rows and it was a nightmare.
>
> Instead, I imported the CSV and handled it from within Access, which
> turned out to be much more stable. Is there any reason you want to
> stay within the CSV?
>
> -- James

How you do this will be determined by how much activity there is with the csv
file.
You can overcome formatting issues by creating in import spec.  You do that
be manually creating the link (Files, Get External Date, etc).  When you get
to the imort wizard, click Advanced.  You will be able to define your field
names and data types there.  Then click Save As and give it a name.  Use the
name in the TransferText.  I would do this whether I were going to link or
import the file.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Steve" wrote:

> the usual thing of course I have a customer with an accounts package that
> will only export names and address in CSV Text and the customer wants the
> address to use in a Access Quote package that he has created.
> So in your opinion its better to update and append files from a CSV to an
> Access back end table and let the front ends link to the access back end
> table.
> Steve - from a land down under
>
> "Minton M" wrote:
>
> > On Jan 4, 9:50 am, Steve <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > If I link to a CSV ( comma seperated value) file does access think of this
> > > as a table with records and behave the same way.
> > > I was wondering what would happen if you had say 5000 records in a text file
> > > and each record had 50 fields Would it be slower than if the 5000 records
> > > were in an Access Table. Can anybody give me some info on problems or limits
> > > on this type of action.
> > > An example of potential problem maybe and could be if the computer over
> > > writes the text file with updated data while the database is reading records
> > > from it.
> > > Any comments most welcome
> > > Steve - From a land down under
> >
> > Access makes the CSV file look like a table but it's not that way
> > under the covers and doesn't offer anything like the performance of a
> > 'real' table. You can get into all sorts of file locking issues,
> > format problems and other maintenance nasties - I used this method for
> > a few months on a CSV directory of names/addresses for a firm that
> > totaled 40,000 rows and it was a nightmare.
> >
> > Instead, I imported the CSV and handled it from within Access, which
> > turned out to be much more stable. Is there any reason you want to
> > stay within the CSV?
> >
> > -- James

VBA Text Color
I would like to change the text color to Red for a string being returned to a window through vba when certain conditions are met. I can see the vbRed control but cannot get it to work, Object Required. Has anyone been able to change the text color through vba, and how is it set? Mick Hi Mick I don't believe VBA can directly change the colours on a Dexterity field or window. You can use the unsupported but very useful method of pass through Dexterity SanScript to change the colour of the text or the background. I think you already have the company background colour VBA example. I...

Can't have a null value if another field has text.
I have tried a few different things to try and get this to work, but I can't seem to figure it out. Basically, I have a form with some text boxes linked to fields on a table, and I want one of two things to happen (the first one would be preferred, but if that's not possible, the second would be just as good): 1) If Field 1 is updated to a Null value and Field 2 has text in it, move the text from Field 2 to Field 1 and change Field 2 to a Null value. 2) If Field 1 is updated to a Null value and Field 2 has text in it, a message box pops up that essentially says "You can't do ...

Change link between form and subform

email text missing when sent
I compose an email within Outlook and send it. The sent email only contains the first character of the text. The recipient of the email does receive it, but with only the one character in the text. When I look at the copy of the email in my Sent folder, the text only has one character. I repeated the process several times with the same result. The above was done with my Options set to Rich Text. When I change my Options to use HTML, everything is sent fine. This problem just occurred yesterday. I've been sending emails without problem for months. I didn't change any set...

linking #4

Formulas coming up as text
Formulas continue to appear as text and will not calculate. how to get formulas to always calculate. If your formulas appear as text, then you need to first clear the cells before entering formulas. Select the cells, hit Edit-->Clear-->All. Save the file, format the column as General, and try again. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "cheryl" <dianeshar14donotspam@example.com> wrote in message news:D6AAAAFF-9E92-4947-837F-9FA96984BD4D@microsoft.com... > Formulas continue to appear as text and will not calculate. how to get > formulas to alway...

Linked Forms

Can I insert Auto Text of Last Updated in Excel 2003?
Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? Using a macro yes http://tinyurl.com/4d4of -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "jess_steven" <jess_steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC065FC2-1B52-40D0-BB3E-04DDE7872268@microsoft.com... > Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? ...

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Links not linking

Find/replace with different text colour messes up
When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell instead of just the word that was searched on. To see this in action, try this: 1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet 2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now, let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red. 3.. Open up Search/Replace 4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test 5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test 6.. For the "R...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How do I import OE .dbx files into outlook?
Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important OE .dbx files. How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can access the content? Simon wrote: > Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important > OE .dbx files. > > How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can > access the content? Why do you no longer have OE on the old machine that crashed that we are to assume where you will reinstall the same version of Windows that before had OE? See http...

end of file reached
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp <br> any ideas what this error is ? <br> and how to cure On 1/27/10 9:56 AM, in article 59bb1b90.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "markc0@officeformac.com" <markc0@officeformac.com> wrote: > when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp > any ideas what this error is ? > and how to cure The file that has reached it's end is often the preferences file. Move the 'Microsoft...

Word as a Text Processor in Outlook w/ Exchange
Hi! Sice I set up a new Microsoft Exchange Server account in my Outlook 2003 SP2, I can't use any more Word as a text processor to write my e-mails. I only have the HTML option. So I don't have the nice Word feature (real time spell checking, etc.). Too bad... Any idea? Is there something I missed to set up on the Exchange Server? Help appreciated. Nicolas Check from within Outlook. Tools/Options/Mail Format and make sure you have the option to use "Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit my email messages" checked. "Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

OPENING FILE
I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AND CAN IT BE FIXED? find someone with xl2002 - this has a built in repair facility. You file has probably become corrupted. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy RUSS KING <WRCING2@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:03d201c36ab0$c7ba2780$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR > OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY > HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AN...

Text Wrap #2
Is there anywhere in Publisher that i can customise my preferences? I would like to change the default settings for inserting an image to no text wrap. This is a time consuming process everytime i insert an image (right click, format object, layout tab, wrapping style "none", ok), would be so much for efficient for me if i could change the default settings so that the image came in like this when inserted (currently the default wrapping style is "square"). Any ideas? ...

links

find text in a formula
ok, I have a sheet that has two basic types of formulas: =U10-P10 =U3-SUM(P3:P5) The simpler one always stays the same relative to the row. The one with the sum function however can be 2 or more rows. I want to be able to highlight the ones that have the Sum function in it. I have tried all kinds of things with conditional formatting, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? -- Joker "...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me." Gen. 21:6 If you highlight the complete worksheet by CTRL-A, you can then use Find & Replace (CTRL-H) to replace ...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Right clicking on text does not bring up hyperlink option
I want to add a hyperlink to another area in my Excel workbook. On one sheet when I right click on text that I want to add the hyperlink to, I don't get the hyperlink option. It has the following: cut copy paste paste special __________ insert page break reset all page breaks insert delete clear contents __________ insert comment __________ format cells set print area reset print area page setup There is no hyperlink option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. The cell menu (the one you get when you rightclick on a cell) is different if you're in View|Normal or View|Page break previ...

Links

Find cells that contain text
Hi, as part of a loop I am trying to find cells that contain a string and then copy some adjacent cells into another sheet. I can do the copy part no problem but I am struggling with finding the string, I am using the InStr command but not sure if I ma making this to complicated, this is code I am struggling with : If InStr(string, Cells(bb, 65)) = 1 Then With string being the string I am searching for and bb being the row number and part of the loop The formula will recognise a complete string, but not part of string i.e. String = abcd_ Cell contains abcd_ match and I ca...

email links in Publisher pdf