Is it possible to store .pdf files in an access table

I am using ACCESS 2000 and checking to see if I can store .pdf file in the
same table where I store my test results. If so how I can I do that?

If not in ACCESS 2000 is it possible with ACCESS 2007?
Thanks

mls

Why would you want to?
Why not store the PDF file in a folder and just store the hyperlink to the
files location in the database.
Storing other files in an Access database, even if it was possible, would
quickly lead to a huge and inefficient database file.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

On Jan 27, 12:12=A0pm, "mls via AccessMonster.com" <u55943@uwe> wrote:
> I am using ACCESS 2000 and checking to see if I can store .pdf file in th=
> same table where I store my test results. If so how I can I do that?
>
> If not in ACCESS 2000 is it possible with ACCESS 2007?
> Thanks

ms.aspx/access-formscoding/201001/1

I don't know if there's a way or not but I would suggest creating a
related "attachments" table where you can store hyperlinks that link
to your PDF files that are stored elsewhere (which is where they
*ought* to be anyway).
0
johnlute
1/27/2010 6:14:59 PM
Access2007 yes easy just add an attachments field, then on the form you
easily get all the bells and whistles to browse for and add the file.  You
can also use code to automatically add or remove attachments in access 2007.
However I agree, LARGE amounts of file storage should always be done outside
of the database (no matter what version of Access).  An attachment here or
there in Access2007 is just fine.

Mark
RPT Software
http://www.rptsoftware.com

"mls via AccessMonster.com" <u55943@uwe> wrote in message
>I am using ACCESS 2000 and checking to see if I can store .pdf file in the
> same table where I store my test results. If so how I can I do that?
>
> If not in ACCESS 2000 is it possible with ACCESS 2007?
> Thanks

Mark
1/27/2010 8:51:59 PM
Thank you. I have one pdf for each specimen so I think it would be good if I
just store the reference in my table.
can some one give me an example of how I can create the hyperlink?

Mark Andrews wrote:
>Access2007 yes easy just add an attachments field, then on the form you
>easily get all the bells and whistles to browse for and add the file.  You
>can also use code to automatically add or remove attachments in access 2007.
>However I agree, LARGE amounts of file storage should always be done outside
>of the database (no matter what version of Access).  An attachment here or
>there in Access2007 is just fine.
>
>Mark
>RPT Software
>http://www.rptsoftware.com
>
>>I am using ACCESS 2000 and checking to see if I can store .pdf file in the
>> same table where I store my test results. If so how I can I do that?
>>
>> If not in ACCESS 2000 is it possible with ACCESS 2007?
>> Thanks

mls
1/28/2010 1:44:28 PM
Add a field to your table and select "Hyperlink" as its data type.

Add a text box control to your form that has this new field as its
record source.

Insert a hyperlink into the control via the toolbar: Insert >
Hyperlink... then browse to your file that you want to link to.

> Thank you. I have one pdf for each specimen so I think it would be good if I
> just store the reference in my table.
> can some one give me an example of how I can create the hyperlink?
0
johnlute
1/28/2010 6:49:26 PM
Thank you. It's very helpful
johnlute wrote:
>Add a field to your table and select "Hyperlink" as its data type.
>
>Add a text box control to your form that has this new field as its
>record source.
>
>Insert a hyperlink into the control via the toolbar: Insert >
>Hyperlink... then browse to your file that you want to link to.
>
>> Thank you. I have one pdf for each specimen so I think it would be good if I
>> just store the reference in my table.
>> can some one give me an example of how I can create the hyperlink?

mls
1/28/2010 7:43:35 PM
just for the record, I personall avoid the hyperlink field, and instead store
just the path of the file.  The hyperlink datatype has a lot of extra baggage
that goes along with it, and becomes quite troublesome when you start copying
files around with code.

I would recommend storing a regular text path instead, then you can use the
"IsHyperlink" property of a control to get it to "act" as a hyperlink, or
include the following on the click event:

Application.Hollowhyperlink Me.Controlname

hth
--
Jack Leach
www.tristatemachine.com

"I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
-Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

"mls via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Thank you. I have one pdf for each specimen so I think it would be good if I
> just store the reference in my table.
> can some one give me an example of how I can create the hyperlink?
>

> Mark Andrews wrote:
> >Access2007 yes easy just add an attachments field, then on the form you
> >easily get all the bells and whistles to browse for and add the file.  You
> >can also use code to automatically add or remove attachments in access 2007.
> >However I agree, LARGE amounts of file storage should always be done outside
> >of the database (no matter what version of Access).  An attachment here or
> >there in Access2007 is just fine.
> >
> >Mark
> >RPT Software
> >http://www.rptsoftware.com
> >
> >>I am using ACCESS 2000 and checking to see if I can store .pdf file in the
> >> same table where I store my test results. If so how I can I do that?
> >>
> >> If not in ACCESS 2000 is it possible with ACCESS 2007?
> >> Thanks

> .

Problem with the pst file
Hi there, I'm facing a problem in opening a pst file(zile size 2.1GB). I have scanned the file using scanpst.exe several times but the problem still persists. I have also used the tool which minimises the size of the file..but no luck. I really don't know why this problem occurs..is it due to the file size..or one of the mails has got corrupt. Also if by change if iam able to retrieve the file can i export the same to Outlook Express so that the problem doens't arise again..? Thanks in advance. Regards. Avinash Outlook 97-2002 pst-files can only be up to 2GB. You can r...

Read XML file as an Access table?
Is there any way to process an XML file as an Access table or does the XML have to be imported to a table first? I did some experiments and XML processing appears to be extremely slow; is there any way to speed it up? Thanks. ...

File formats
I have a question concerning file formats. As a small business manager using personal computers in the workplace is essential. Over the course of any fiscal year documents are generated and files produced which are important for maintaining from year to year. Often these important files are generated in Microsoft Word and Excel in my work. I recently referred to one such file that was 5 years old to see the frightening words: “File Error: data may have been lost.” My question related to which file formats are best for file retention. I am not interested in paying a com...

where does oma store "ok, and do not warn me again"
Hi all, Does anyone know where Exchange 2003 SP1 OMA stores its "ok, and do not warn me again" settings when an unsupported device logs on? I have a phone that only works properly if I'm prompted, and not after I told OMA to store its User-Agent. I'd like to purge its entry from the OMA database. thanks Karnov ...

Is it possible

Files opening with different file names
Good afternoon/morning. Having a strange issue with Excel at present. If a file is sitting on my desktop, called invoices.xls, I click on it to open, and it opens as invoices1 The same happens if I 'explore' to the file. However, if I open excel and then click 'file''open' then click on the file, it opens as invoices.xls. When trying to save invoices1 it will save as invoices1.xls, then if I open this it will open it as invoices11 I'm running Windows 2000 with Excel 2000. Any help/guesswork would be appreciated! It sounds like the default behavior when you ...

sql stored procedure
Could you please tell me the best way to execute an sql stored procedure from access and insert the returned records into a local access table. the procedure takes one parameter, an as of date. Can I do it with a passthrough query, can a passtrough query be an append query? or should I use dao (or ado) thanks "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85969E17-518C-4DCC-BD3B-DCBB45F5BBAA@microsoft.com... > Could you please tell me the best way to execute an sql stored procedure > from > access and insert the returned records into a ...

Restoring old email from backed up pst file
Not sure if anyone can assist but here goes I had a bit of a problem with a hard drive and thankfully most recent backup was within the previous 3 weeks (personal computer) I had backed up the saved email on outlook as the pst file but when I go to import I get a message "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use". and then when I click on OK the message "The file C:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft \outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file". Of course, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance. Unfortunate...

Merging/Linking XML files?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C35777.BB482CA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have an XML document that is linked to other document and I can't = figure out what the best way to try and merge them before query qith an = XpathNavigator. Simple example...a root xml document contains the root folder that can = contain items and other folders. The other folders can either live in = the root document or be in other xml files completely (to make it easier = for multiple developer...

How 2 copy stored values
Hello, Sorry, i don't know the name of this function;When entering text in a column excel keeps the data (in a list?) and next time you type the first letters of a previously entered string it fills the rest for you.This is a great time-saving feature. My question is: Is it possible to copy the information collected from a column (ie A JUN!) in same column (A JUL!) in a new worksheet? I'm tired to have to start all over each month in a new work sheet when the nice stuff is left in the previous month (worksheet)! TIA for your input, Manuel This feature is called "autocomplete&...

Personal Folders in OWA

Pivot Table- Column 2 sort
How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. Thanks! Right click on the column and select Field Settings | Advanced to access the sort options... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "srpd" wrote: > How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected > a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. > Thanks! Difficult to answer without knowing the structure of your underlying data and what, exactly...

Problems with backupexec 10d second storage group info. store restoration.
We have three mail box mailbox groups, we backup the information stores using backup exec 10d I have confirmed that mailbox permissions are the same for all three. But the problems is that when I try to restore using the recovery storage group I am successful using backup exec for the first storage group but it does not work for the second or third. I have dismounted the first storage group and deleted the files and have added the second storage group to the recovery storage group but I get the below error. The error from backup exec is: Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Mi...

pivot table macro
I want to create a pivot table using the pivot table wizzard from a worksheet into a worksheet with the name table by running a macro. when I record the macro I create the pivot table using the wizzard and it works fine but when I try to run the macro again it errors "unable to get the pivot tables property of the worksheet class" any help? Hi Post the code you have created -- Regards Roger Govier "skippy51" <skippy51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0E655DC-B0D8-4FB5-901E-1EA30CF6E089@microsoft.com... > I want to create a pivot table usi...

Disable Recieving of files
I want to setup a mailbox on my server so that a user can send emails to their home email account, but not be able to recieve. Is this possible? Michael, Could you rephrase the question? I am not sure what you are trying to do. You can setup a contact that will forward e-mails sent to the server to another address. -- Jared Gradle Exchange Support Professional ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup purposes only. "Michael San Filippo...

.eml file extension
When trying to open an attachment that has a *.eml extension I get the following pop-up error message. "Paint cannot read this file. This file is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported." Any suggestions? Regards Rightclick the file, choose Open With... and select Outlook Express. Mark it to set it as the default application for eml-files. Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsg...

How do I copy a Word File to an email that has numbered lists in
When I send an email and copy a Word Document that has a numbered list in the body such as 1. 2. 3. etc. the numbers for each line disappear in the email message. How can I prevent this? Email messages generally don't preserve formatting. Send the Word doc as an attachment, or (probably better) convert it to pdf and send that. On Feb 23, 4:05=A0pm, Edward P <Edward P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I send an email and copy a Word Document that has a numbered list in= the > body such as 1. =A0 2. =A0 3. =A0etc. the numbers for each line disappea...

Search file and within the file
Hi, I have several files in a folder most of them are CVs in word format, I want to create a query or access program to get the subject with some criteria - any ideas? If I search for a particular Text, that should check and matching file name and also inside the word file. I tried google desktop search, coppernic search and even the MS Search - but nothing helped in a way I want. I appreciate your valuable time. Rgds Anver, To develop a bespoke Access application will take much effort and involve using Windows APIs. I suggest you don't want to do this. Instead consider upgrad...

Find Email Address in a text file
Hello, I am having a small issue. I received a text file from a co-worker over seas that contains all his outlook contact information. I have opened it in excel using CSV. There are thousands of rows and anout 100 columns, problem is that the email address do not all fall in the same column or row. I need to be able to locate each email address and copy just the domain (@yahoo.com for example) into a single column.....does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks, Matt --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I posted a solution for extracting 1 or 2 e-mail addresses from a st...

Renaming Mailbox Store Container Objects
What are the implications of renaming the mailbox store container objects in ESM? Server -> SG -> Mailbox Store(Server) Is that something that can be done on the fly safely? Thanks! None :-) This particular portion of Exchange can be renamed (safely) to whatever you want. You can also rename Storage Groups and Routing Groups. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01f401c496a1$65819a30$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What are the implications of renaming > the mailbox store container objects in > ESM? >...

Microsoft Retail Management for use in gas/con. store
How good is Microsoft Retail Management for use in a shell gas/convenience store It is ok but it doesn't interface to gas pumps. But then again you don't want to do that anyway. Keep them seperate. It should wrork fine and you can do deli stuff with scales also. But there are Cash registers that are better suited to C stores. "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3BADB4B-3903-4B26-8FEF-CADAAC37A8DC@microsoft.com... > How good is Microsoft Retail Management for use in a shell gas/convenience > store ...

ost files
We have people that use Outlook 2003 with an Exchange account. The Exchange acounts are hosted by our ISP. I want to know what is the best practice to backup et restore the Outlook 2003 files with an Exchange account. Let say a user has accidently deleted a folder in the Inbox and I want to restore it. With an Exchage account, the outlook file format is ost. Can I backup and resotre juste the ost file. Thanks for your response -- Shidewa Assuming that the Exchange application service provider has deleted item retention turned on, you should be able to use the dumpsteralwayson registry ...