Input Mask vs. Format Property

Note: This was cross-posted in the tabledesign forum ......

Hi Folks - Just bumped into something interesting .... On a text field, I
can set the FORMAT property to > so that text entered will be formatted as
uppercase. The only thing I don't like about this technique is while you are
typing, the text is entered as lower case. It does not change to uppercase
until the field is updated. Now, if I use the Input Mask property, I can
force 2 uppercase text characters by setting the property to >LL. As I type,
the text is entered as Uppercase which I like. However, if I type a number
(incorrect type), Access only "beeps" instead of displaying a message
indicating that I am trying to enter the "wrong" kind of data. Any
workarounds? Thanks.

--
Michael Laferriere
HomeKey

0
Michael

You can set the forms "Key Preview" property to "Yes".

Then, in the KeyDown or KeyPress event of the textbox, you can test for
lower case characters and convert them to uppercase there.  You can also test
for numeric and present an appropriate message.

HTH

--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Michael" wrote:

> Note: This was cross-posted in the tabledesign forum ......
>
> Hi Folks - Just bumped into something interesting .... On a text field, I
> can set the FORMAT property to > so that text entered will be formatted as
> uppercase. The only thing I don't like about this technique is while you are
> typing, the text is entered as lower case. It does not change to uppercase
> until the field is updated. Now, if I use the Input Mask property, I can
> force 2 uppercase text characters by setting the property to >LL. As I type,
> the text is entered as Uppercase which I like. However, if I type a number
> (incorrect type), Access only "beeps" instead of displaying a message
> indicating that I am trying to enter the "wrong" kind of data. Any
> workarounds? Thanks.
>

> --
> Michael Laferriere
> HomeKey
> 401-921-2450
> www.homekeyinc.com

Macro pause for input
I would like a macro to insert a footer with some data already in a worksheet. I can do that, but I want it to pause and offer choices, e.g. a dropdown box or something, so that the choice is between two or more cells/named ranges in the worksheet, or choices such as left or right footer and Active.Workbook.FullName or "Date" such as date is "Date: &D" Suggestions greatly appreciated. Have you tried using Forms in your macro? Or even using the msgbox command will probably suffice. Look msgbox up in the help from your macro >-----Original Message----- >...

Date time formats keep reverting back to default
I have a column of dates that I assigned a custom format to. When the data in this column gets refreshed from a data base query the format keeps reverting back to the default format. How can I stop this behavior? I doubt you can. Sounds like the format is coming over with it. Why don't you record a macro, and give yourself a toolbar button to run. Start recording, select the column, change the format, hit Ctrl+Home and stop recording. For reference: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/record_a_macro_in_microsoft_excel.htm http://www.officearticles.com/misc/methods_to_run_a_macro_in_m...

Reusing slides w/keep source formatting
I'm trying to merge several ppt's into one using the option "reuse slides" with the "keep source formatting" option, but PP crashes when I try to insert all slides or takes several minutes per slide if I do it one by one. I have a Lenovo Win 7 and Office 2007, but it also happened with an HP with Vista and Office 2007 or an old ThinkPad with XP and Office 2007, could it be a bug in Office 2007? Please your help. Thanks, Jose Vidal Lima, Peru What happens if you Copy > Paste > Use Source Formatting? If the program still crashes I'm thi...

Save entries in registry in MRU format
Hi, I have a combo box with some items and I would like to maintain a list of strings, like internet explorer's history/auto-complete feature. The auto complete is nice, Applications such as internet explorer,maintain an MRU list in the following format: key value default "history" a "String 1" b "String 2" Whatever or however it is stored, I wonder if there is a ready made class that can help store such info. The trick is of course that when an item is deleted, fragmentation of index is circumvented. Which would create ...

does VS C++ 2005 actually work????
I recently purchased Microsoft VS 2005 and just cannot seem to get it working. 1. I tried converting a VS 2002 solution to VS 2005. It took a while to realize there is a bug in Intellisense. The only solution was to disable Intellisense. 2. It seems class view has been rendered inoperable now that Intellisense has been disabled. So this means browsing by namespaces and classes is not possible. 3. I tried debugging the application but it seems the debugger cannot find certain debug libraries such as 'MFC80UD.DLL'. I posted a message and hope someone will know what is ha...

Visible control based on other inputs
Hi I have a form where the user choose shift, Sektor, Cell, Date from 4 different comboboxes. The cell combobox is based on a query that gives you the cells that corisponds to a sektor when the sektor is choosed. The query looks like this SELECT TblCelle.CelleNr, TblCelle.CelleTxt, TblCelle.Sektor FROM TblCelle WHERE (((TblCelle.Sektor)=[Forms]![FrmReg]![Sektor])) ORDER BY TblCelle.CelleNr; TblCelle has the following fields CellNo, CellTxt, CellVar, CellCat, Sektor The CellVar can have two input either L or H I have a text box and a label that should not be visib...

Conditional Datalabel formating
Hello, We have a Excel 2003 worksheet named 'OBQI 2004' that has multiple embedded column charts. Here is the source data for one of the charts: F G H 85 (Prior) (Current) 86 MO700 32% 32% 87 MO690 40% 41% 88 MO420 53% 52% 89 No Prior Data 37% 90 MO670 56% 55% 91 MO780 34% 33% 92 No Prior Data 50% 93 No Prior Data 57% So the data range value is: ='OBQI 2004'!$F$85:$H$93 Each chart has two series: Series 1 Name: ='OBQI 2004'!$G$85 Values: ='OBQI 2004'!$G$86:$G$93 Series 2 Name: ='OBQI 2004'!$H$85 Values: =&...

Input music to WMP?
I know you can enter music by indicating what folder to watch, but I want more control. Amazon Downloader is a free program to do this, but it is done programmatically. Is there a non-programmatic way to do this? Thank you. Jim Cassilly On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:50:28 -0400, "Jim Cassilly" <jcass@tampabay.rr.com> wrote: >I know you can enter music by indicating what folder to watch, but I want >more control. Amazon Downloader is a free program to do this, but it is done >programmatically. Is there a non-programmatic way to do this? Hi, it's not...

How do I format cells that get their data from an MySQL dB?
Howdy, I have a spreadsheet that uses an MS Query to connect to a MySQL database to retrieve data. One of the columns that gets populated is a phone number column. The phone numbers in the database are unformatted (i.e. 6052223456) I'd like to format the column so that the data is presented using a phone number mask (i.e. (605) 222-3456 ) However, I've tried the Format Cells and the setting Special -> Phone Number doesn't do anything to format the cells. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike I just copied one of the rows from the query spread sheet to a new normal spread shee...

Text emails do not format
All of my incoming emails in Outlook 2003 are coming in as one long line of text. I've gone into my email options and turned off "Remove extra line breaks from text emails" but the problem still occurs. Does anyone know how to prevent my incoming text emails from turning the entire message into one long paragraph? Thanks! Fury Maybe the issue is with the person (or people) sending it. As a test, log into your webmail account, send yourself and email and then go into Outlook 2003 and see what it does... >-----Original Message----- >All of my incoming emails in ...

Text Format for %
i have a fairly easy question that i can't find help for online or hitting F1. I'm looking to use the TEXT formula to format a % and a $ amount so that if its negative, it shows up with parantheses. Currently, my formula looks like this, and it gives me a negative sign for negative numbers instead of the parantheses. =TEXT(B38,"$#,#")&" / "&TEXT(B49,"0.0%") Can someone point me in the right direction for this one? Ideally it would be great if someone had a link to all the different ways we can format TEXT! Thanks in advance for your help! Adam ...

Calculation
I don't fully understand how Excel's manual vs automatic setting works. We work with large formula-intensive spreadsheets, and NEVER want the setting to be automatic. What I have figured out is that if I crash, the setting resets to automatic. And, if I save a spreadsheet with Manual setting, it stays Manual next time I open it, unless Excel is already open with Calc = automatic. Is this right? But my key question: Is there any way to ensure that Excel remains calculation=manual at all times when a file is opened? If nothing else, can we add a piece of code to our template...

Captions in SO vs HQ
Can somebody tell me how i get the custom captions that i can configure within SO to transfer to my HQ database? I may have asked this before, but i cant remember! Thanks! :) Use HQ Administrator, and ammend the customcaption table. "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > Can somebody tell me how i get the custom captions that i can configure > within SO to transfer to my HQ database? I may have asked this before, but > i cant remember! > > Thanks! :) > > > ...

FONT COLOR FORMAT
WHEN I COMBINE TEXT ( EX. =A1&B1&C1) WITH DIFFERENT FONT COLORS, IT RETURNS THE COMBINED TEXT IN A SINGLE COLOR FONT. HOW DO I CORRECT THIS SO THE TEXT IS RETURNED (COMBINED) IN THE ORIGINAL FONT COLOR FORMAT FROM THE ORIGINAL INDIVIDUAL CELLS (A1 B1 C1)? Hi Excel doesn't allow partial formatting of cells and hence will return the default format. You may be able to do it with VBA, but I don't think so. Oh, BTW, please don't post in capitals as it is considered to be shouting as well as being really hard to read. HTH Michael Mitchelson "JMCA2000" wrot...

usigned short : big endian vs. little endian
Hi, I am communicating with a motorola PLC, which sends binary data. Integer values are sent as 2 bytes (unsigned short), and in different byte order than on intel. I have a buffer that receives binary data into a buffer, and I then copy that into my local buffer. Then I must perform byte swapping to get the big-edian <--> little endian issue resolved. Currently I have something like this: Class MyData { public: MyData() { memset(&b1, 0, sizeof(b1)); memset(&b2, 0, sizeof(b1)); } struct _block1 { __int16 val1; BYTE val2; ...

Message format in "Customize View".
Is it possible to activate a column showing the text format of the messages in folder? (Plain Text, RTF, HTML?) I don't find this field in "Customize View". Thanks There is not a field available that would allow a user to sort specifically by the format of the message. However, while sorting by "Icon" you will notice that your groups will be automatically sorted by format as noted in the following article: 281037.KB.EN-US OL2002: You Cannot Sort Your Inbox by Symbol http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;281037 -------------------- >R...

Data Input
I have a spreadsheet set up containing products with a uniq reference code. I need to input sales quantities against these products each week. At present this is done manually. Has anyone any ideas how to auto mate this function. The sales quantities can be downloaded into an excel file Regard Blueman Hi you may have a look at pivot tables if I understood you correctly >-----Original Message----- >I have a spreadsheet set up containing products with a uniq reference code. I need to input sales quantities against these products each week. At present this is done manually. Has an...

Custom receipt format
How do I get a full page Invoice to say invoice instead of receipt? It was that way but changed for no known reason. Are you using the Full Page Invoice template from CustomerSource? What does it say instead of 'Invoice'? I use a modified version of that file, and I've noticed that any zero-dollar transaction prints 'Sales Receipt' instead of 'Invoice'. Tom "RWBouchard" wrote: > How do I get a full page Invoice to say invoice instead of receipt? It was > that way but changed for no known reason. The file is called fullpage.xml. I do not...

how to totalize only column value from certain accounting -> Currency format
For a sheet with invoices I need to totalize column values from a different currency (cell format Accounting). How to perform? All cells can have any currency USD or EUR. Column A Column B: USD 5,000.00 EUR 3,765,00 USD 100.00 Total USD 5,100.00 Total EUR 3,765.00 Thank you, Bart Excel 2003 =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A3="USD"),(B1:B3)) similar for euros -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007c "AA Arens" wrote: > For a sheet with invoices I need to totalize column values from a > different currency (cell...

User input
I've used this forum before, and found it very useful. I need to set up a worksheet, (worksheet1), to allow a user to input surname,initials,id,location,date for office files that move around the office. The result will be stored in worksheet2 in 1 row and 5 columns called Surname - Inits - ID - Location - Date Each entry will be recorded in the next empty row in worksheet2. I think I have found a way to identify the next empty row using the Indirect function. But, how can I set up worksheet1 to allow the user to input the data he has which is then automatically recorded into wo...

date in wrong format
My mo/da/yr format somehow changes to a 5 digit entry - 393xx. I have tied the normal procedure of format cells, date, etc. but that won't fix it. What can I do? Mike this is a little long winded but I found it helpful in resolving many a format problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q264372 "Mike" wrote: > My mo/da/yr format somehow changes to a 5 digit entry - 393xx. I have tied > the normal procedure of format cells, date, etc. but that won't fix it. What > can I do? You should also be able to type 1 into a cell, copy it an...

Custom Pivot Table Format
I want to create a custom pivot table format, with custom colors etc... How do I do this? You can't add to the list of AutoFormats for a PivotTable, but you could record a macro as you apply formatting, then run that macro to apply formatting to your PivotTables. Scott Good wrote: > I want to create a custom pivot table format, with custom > colors etc... How do I do this? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

subforms: using input from one subform to update the other subform
Hello. I'm hoping that someone can help me. I have 2 subforms on separate tabs. Based on a user's input on subform 1, I would like a combo box on subform 2 to be enabled or disabled. Does anyone have a solution? Please let me know. Thanks in advance. Controls on subforms are always referred to via the parent form. See http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0031.htm at "The Access Web" for details. Note that depending on how the forms were added as subforms, the name of the subform control may be different than the name of the form being used as a sub...

form: data input locking up
Hello all... I have a form which was working fine until a few hours ago. The form has several sub forms. However, those are working fine. I am unable to edit/add/delete records on the main form. This is a front end database, with the main data storage on a network. I moved the data starage DB onto my local drive, reset the links and experienced the same problem. The form is not based on a query and writes directly into a data table. The form is normally called up (filtered) through code. however, I experience the same problem when I open it up directly (without filtering the re...

Input cell should display a percentage of input value in the cell
Please read the below discussion and suggest an answer Many thanks for ur answer what if i want to change B1:B700(but want to leave one cell for sum total in every 8 cells down), similarly in C1:C700, & D1: D700 -- Life isa journey not a destination "Gary''s Student" wrote: > Put this event macro in the worksheet code area: > > Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) > Dim r As Range > Set r = Range("B9") > If Intersect(r, Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub > Application.EnableEvents = False > r.Value = ...