How do I trigger an event on opening a record

I have an Access 2003 form where I would like to take an action (e.g. via an
event procedure or macro) whwnever the user opens a record for editing (e.g.
via the arrowed record selector buttons).  Effectively what I want is
something like an On Enter or On Open control but relating to a whole record.
 It seems that such a control is only available for (e.g.) a text box, which
relates to a single field in a record.  I thought there would be something in
the Detail section of the form as I thought that section related to whole
records (?) but there isn't such a control there.
Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I don't really understand what you mean by "the user opens a record for
editing".  Hoiwever, I suspect that what you want is the On Current event of
the form, which is triggered whenever the user moves to another record - by
any means.

HTH,

Rob

"Geoff Budd" <GeoffBudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Access 2003 form where I would like to take an action (e.g. via
>an
> event procedure or macro) whwnever the user opens a record for editing
> (e.g.
> via the arrowed record selector buttons).  Effectively what I want is
> something like an On Enter or On Open control but relating to a whole
> record.
> It seems that such a control is only available for (e.g.) a text box,
> which
> relates to a single field in a record.  I thought there would be something
> in
> the Detail section of the form as I thought that section related to whole
> records (?) but there isn't such a control there.
> Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.
> Geoff

0
Rob
1/23/2008 1:44:36 AM
Thanks Rob, that worked fine.

Regards,
Geoff

"Rob Parker" wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> I don't really understand what you mean by "the user opens a record for
> editing".  Hoiwever, I suspect that what you want is the On Current event of
> the form, which is triggered whenever the user moves to another record - by
> any means.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob
>
> "Geoff Budd" <GeoffBudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Access 2003 form where I would like to take an action (e.g. via
> >an
> > event procedure or macro) whwnever the user opens a record for editing
> > (e.g.
> > via the arrowed record selector buttons).  Effectively what I want is
> > something like an On Enter or On Open control but relating to a whole
> > record.
> > It seems that such a control is only available for (e.g.) a text box,
> > which
> > relates to a single field in a record.  I thought there would be something
> > in
> > the Detail section of the form as I thought that section related to whole
> > records (?) but there isn't such a control there.
> > Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.
> > Geoff

Rob...Cost update trigger
I found a post that originally included a cost update trigger that Rob had created. It updates the sales price based on a new cost. I can't get the attachment anymore. Anybody out there have the trigger? Thanks, G E ...

Trigger email
Is there a way that you can have a countdown and when the countdown reaches 0 for it to automaticly send out a email to a certian person? You will first have to determine how you are going to calculate your countdown. Then try the following: Dim strSubject As String Dim strAddress As String Dim strMessage As String Dim blSendEmail as Boolean strSubject = "Countdown reached zero" strMessage = "This is the message that will be the body of the email." If 'This is where you would put the countdown check value' Then ...

Unable to open PDF attachment
For some reason I con no longer open PDF attachments using Outlook 2000. I get the message "Unable to open one or more attachments". If I right click on the email in the In-Box and click on "View Attachment" it works ok, just can't open them after I open the email??? tobster37@gmail.com <tobster37@gmail.com> wrote: > For some reason I con no longer open PDF attachments using Outlook > 2000. I get the message "Unable to open one or more attachments". If I > right click on the email in the In-Box and click on "View Attachment" > it...

Excel file does not open
My Excel file with the proper password does not open. If I type password, Excel opens with top bar: Microsoft Excel - [File name] . But it looks like standard Excel without file (blank), most funcutions in the Groups is hidden ( also Show) If the password is type wrong, Excel gives standard information: Password is not correct. (...). Please help. If you first open the Excel application and then from the application try: File > Open... what happens?? -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200747 "Robert" wrote: > My Excel file with the proper password does not open. If I...

Event of closing a form or navigating away
I need to use some code to update some tables after entering a new record or editing an existing record. I need to know what event I should use. I know after entering a new record, we can navigate away from current record, or the form can be closed. I don't what else can happen to get away from current record. Please give me some suggestions regarding how we should catch these events. Thanks in advance, Guangdew -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:10:38 GMT, "guangdew via AccessMonster.com" <u58044@uwe> wrote: &g...

How do I cycle through all of the open worksheets?

Open record from email
Hi. I'm creating a database for recording modifications. There's a set workflow of authorisation that has to be followed. I'm making it so a user can double click on a Signed field and it inserts their login name, with the field being locked otherwise to make sure it can only be that person whose name can be recorded. no problems there. Once they've signed, an email will be generated for the next person. No probs there either. What I'm after is some way to attach something automatically that will let that next user double click to open the relevant record dire...

Outlook Public Folder Subfolder will not open
When clicking on a subfolder under "Public Folders" Outlook 2007 craches and sais "Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close." (Generic Message) and creates the following entry in the Event Viewer: Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft Office 12 Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 1/25/2010 Time: 9:35:38 AM User: N/A Computer: 71BJFG1 Description: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6514.5000, stamp 4a89dc70, faulting mod...

Changed relationship; records no longer linked
I have a Corporates table holding details of company customers. I have a CorpContacts table holding details of our contact persons at those companies. Originally I had a relationship (one to many) between Corporates.CorpName and CorpContacts.CorpName. I had a Corporates form which contained a CorpContacts subform displaying the contact persons' details. All working fine. But if we updated the name of the company i.e. Corporates.CorpName, the link was lost and the contact persons were no longer displayed. So I introduced new fields in each table ("CorpID"), i.e. some...

Cancel sheet change event
Is it possible to cancel the sheet change event if the sheet is a chart sheet? Hi, Can to elaborate? A chart sheet does not have a Change event. Do you mean the SeriesChange event? Cheers Andy NSK wrote: > Is it possible to cancel the sheet change event if the sheet is a chart sheet? ...

Macro warning (upon opening)
How do you get rid to the macro warning? I have deleted all macros in the file and saved changes. When I reopen the file, the message still pops up. When I go to the macro section, there are no macros to select. There are not any in my personal workbook, or current open workbook. Is this an issue of, once a macro is attached the warning message is permanent? Separate question: Where is the code to execute the macro with a shortcut? I see the option when creating, but have not found any code to carry out the command. Richard You have workbook modules, sheet modules, and regula...

How can I remove time from event banners?
Installed Outlook on new laptop and transferred over info. The banners on my all day events now include a time of 12:00am. I have tried everything to get rid of the time. How can I get the times off the banners? How did you transfer the info over? Usually you need to open each one and fix the time but if you used import, open the pst directly in outlook instead and see if they are ok. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subs...

2003 Error open page from PWA
Please help All the pc with windows xp and ie7 got problem when using PWA connect to project server 2003. The home page is loading but there is a yellow icon error on page at the left side of screen and eye glass keep running with out stop. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832588 is not help at all But, it is work fine if with pc running windows 2000 and ie6. "TVH" wrote: > Please help > > All the pc with windows xp and ie7 got problem when using PWA connect to > project server 2003. > The home page is loading but there is a yellow icon err...

open purchase orders
We are brand new to RMS, and have question that is nagging us. Is there a way to get a report that shows what is currently on order, preferably able to sort by department and category? MP wrote: > We are brand new to RMS, and have question that is nagging us. Is there a > way to get a report that shows what is currently on order, preferably able to > sort by department and category? > > Try with this code... //--- Report Summary --- // Begin ReportSummary ReportType = reporttypeItems ReportTitle = "Documenti Magazzino" PageOrientation = pageori...

Event Manager
I own an outdoor store that sells training classes, tours, seminars, and similar type items. I currently use another POS system in the store but would like to use MS RMS, because I have it at another location and would like all locations to be the sames software. What I need is an RMS add in that manages events I mentioned. Ideally the software would allow me to create the event and schedule the same class multiple times and allow the class to cross multiple days, such as 2 consecutive sundays. The software would allow the sale to occur at the POS. The software would create a roste...

Trigger
CREATE TABLE tblA ( Symbol varchar(50) NOT NULL, APIFormat varchar(50) NULL, DataFormat varchar(50) NULL ) I would like to do the following: If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is not being updated, I would like to set DataFormat like this: If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) = '#', then SET DataFormat = LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0' If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat = APIFORMAT If I do the below trigger, if I don't update DataFormat, it sets it correctly, but...

Event 12002 Errors
We are seeing the following error logged every couple of seconds for a user here. His mailbox has been removed (deleted and purged) and we are STILL seeing this error. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this or how to stop these errors? Error 8004011B-820003A2 occurred while processing message <> from 'David Morris'. Thanks in advance, Jim FYI HOTFIX 829093 fixed this problem for us. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829093 Mention that this is a free hotfix, when you contact Microsoft Support Services (800) 936-4900 for the hotfix. It requir...

Can't open any calendar items
This morning, I woke to discover that I could not open or create any appointments. I see them in Calendar view, the various Open and New commands show available, but invoking them does nothing. I can create new email messages, contacts, notes, tasks...but no appointments. I can point to nothing that has caused this, and am hoping that there is something I can try before resorting to a reinstall. Anyone...? Rick A. Pleasanton, CA Are you using a .PST file? If so, try running the Inbox Repair Tool against it to see if it finds any errors. Search your drive for a file called sca...

How to open 3 new windows for 3 links on one bookmark?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a bookmark? so when I click this bookmark, which will open 3 new windows for 3 different links. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Hi Eric, Favorites>Add current tabs to Favorites. scriptlet: (untested, not recommended, results may depend on your Blockup poper and security zone settings) javascript:window.open(url1);window.open(url2);window.open(url3);void(0); There is an Addon from enhanceie.com that allows you to save a tabs list to the Desktop. Regards. "Eric&qu...

Excel opening splashscreen
Is there a way to disable the splashscreen that pops up when opening Excel? - I see no need for it. TIA Bill Chatfield Use the /e switch in the shortcut used to open excel. eg ... excel.exe /e Regards BrianB ===================================================== "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote in message news:<eMijb.287880$mp.227286@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>... > Is there a way to disable the splashscreen that pops up when opening > Excel? - I see no need for it. > > TIA > > Bill Chatfield Thanks Brian "BrianB" <Bria...

could not unregister BLM trigger
Hello: One of our Dynamics GP 9.0 clients is experiencing an unusual error message when exiting Report Writer and returning to GP. Although the error message is not priventing them from using Report Writer or GP, it is a point of interest. And, I would like to see what can be done to eliminate this message. The message is "Could not unregister the BLM trigger." Does anyone know what this means or how to eliminate it? I do not know, as of yet, if all workstations get this message or if even only just some users get this message. Thanks! childofthe1980s Hi I would sugg...

Opening help starts RMS installation
Whenever I try to open help on any office or windows program the RMS installer executes. Any ideas? Happened to me, too. What I did is let the dialog go through it's motions, then when it asks for the install disc put it in the drive and find the file - you may have to search the disc for the file first so you know where it is. This usually only hapopens once, but keep the install disc handy because I had to do the same thing when I clicked "Help" for Excel, Quickbooks, and a few others. It wasn;t asking for those install files, it still wanted the RMS install files. ...

Macro With Timer Event
I wish to write a macro using the normal tools which consists of a simple copy/paste over series of events. How can I incorporate a timer to delay the copy/paste events for something like 30 to 60 seconds? Is there a useful bit of code that I can obtain and paste into the code that I will be creating or will it require something like a hidden dialogue box with a timer on it? VBA has a function called Timer, a long-type integer that represents the current number of seconds since midnight. You can use this in code to create a delay of a number of seconds like this: Sub Delay() Dim Beg As Lo...

Excel won't open
Hi When I click on an excel file , only the program opens with a blank page. I can only open file by opening the program and clicking File Open Any idea why this happens ? Thanks Leon Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on the file in windows explorer: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. Maybe ...

CRM 4.0
Does anyone know how to delete a CRM 4.0 contract record (with status set to 'Canceled')? I already tried using a Workflow to set the status of the contract record to 'Draft'. But, no luck it didn't work. It seems, the Microsoft CRM devloper team hardcoded a restriction so that users (with full permission) can not delete Contract records with status set to "Cancel". 'Not sure the business logic behind this decision. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Dear Tim, The delete record option does not exist in the CRM 4.0 as a straig...