Hide column in contious form

I have a continous form [BatchSummaryTotals] that's recordsource is a
crosstab query [BatchSummaryTotals_Crosstab].  In datasheet view when I set
the field Me.C42.visible = false the column is removed and the rest of the
columns move left and remove blank space.  Is there a way to do this on a
continous form?  I can set the visible property to false and it is removed,
but it leaves a blank space as large as the column that was there.  I am open
to other ways to get my data in a row/column form, but I need header and
footer sections for filters and labels.  Please advise.

Ryan Tisserand wrote:

>I have a continous form [BatchSummaryTotals] that's recordsource is a
>crosstab query [BatchSummaryTotals_Crosstab].  In datasheet view when I set
>the field Me.C42.visible = false the column is removed and the rest of the
>columns move left and remove blank space.  Is there a way to do this on a
>continous form?  I can set the visible property to false and it is removed,
>but it leaves a blank space as large as the column that was there.  I am open
>to other ways to get my data in a row/column form, but I need header and
>footer sections for filters and labels.

You need to adjust the Left property of the other controls.
How you name your controls can make it easier or more
difficult.  For example if the controls a named something
like Ctl1, Ctl2, ... in left to right order, then you could
use code along these lines:

Dim k As Integer
Dim pos As Long

For k = 1 to N
	With Me("Ctl" & k)
		If .Visible Then
			.Left = pos
			pos = pos + .Width
		End If
	End With
Next K

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

hth

"Ryan Tisserand" <RyanTisserand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a continous form [BatchSummaryTotals] that's recordsource is a
> crosstab query [BatchSummaryTotals_Crosstab].  In datasheet view when I
set
> the field Me.C42.visible = false the column is removed and the rest of the
> columns move left and remove blank space.  Is there a way to do this on a
> continous form?  I can set the visible property to false and it is
removed,
> but it leaves a blank space as large as the column that was there.  I am
open
> to other ways to get my data in a row/column form, but I need header and
> footer sections for filters and labels.  Please advise.

0
tina
8/11/2007 1:27:54 AM
I think tima was suggesting that you set the subform
**control's** SourceObject property to the crosstab query's
name.  In this kind or arrangement Access automatically
creates a datasheet subform so you will not have a form
object for this purpose.  Of course this approach is not
viable if you require code behind the form.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Ryan Tisserand wrote:
>I tried this method, but when I added more columns they did not show up on
>the datasheet form.  I think my best plan of attack is going to be to export
>the crosstab query to a excel spreadsheet.
>
>"tina" wrote:
>> one solution might be to bind the crosstab query results to a form set to
>> Datasheet view, then use that form as a subform and put your "filters and
>> labels", and whatever else you need, in the main form.
>>
>> "Ryan Tisserand" <RyanTisserand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > I have a continous form [BatchSummaryTotals] that's recordsource is a
>> > crosstab query [BatchSummaryTotals_Crosstab].  In datasheet view when I
>> set
>> > the field Me.C42.visible = false the column is removed and the rest of the
>> > columns move left and remove blank space.  Is there a way to do this on a
>> > continous form?  I can set the visible property to false and it is
>> removed,
>> > but it leaves a blank space as large as the column that was there.  I am
>> open
>> > to other ways to get my data in a row/column form, but I need header and
>> > footer sections for filters and labels.
0
Marshall
8/13/2007 3:33:52 PM
You're right, the open event is way too soon.

You never did say how you are making a column invisible,
but, whatever it is, that's the place where you should put
the code.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Ryan Tisserand wrote:
>Would I put this code in the on open event of the form?  I havent tried this
>code, but how is the If.Visible going to work if it doesnt know if its
>visible or not yet?
>

>> Ryan Tisserand wrote:
>> >I have a continous form [BatchSummaryTotals] that's recordsource is a
>> >crosstab query [BatchSummaryTotals_Crosstab].  In datasheet view when I set
>> >the field Me.C42.visible = false the column is removed and the rest of the
>> >columns move left and remove blank space.  Is there a way to do this on a
>> >continous form?  I can set the visible property to false and it is removed,
>> >but it leaves a blank space as large as the column that was there.  I am open
>> >to other ways to get my data in a row/column form, but I need header and
>> >footer sections for filters and labels.
>>

>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>> You need to adjust the Left property of the other controls.
>> How you name your controls can make it easier or more
>> difficult.  For example if the controls a named something
>> like Ctl1, Ctl2, ... in left to right order, then you could
>> use code along these lines:
>>
>> Dim k As Integer
>> Dim pos As Long
>>
>> For k = 1 to N
>> 	With Me("Ctl" & k)
>> 		If .Visible Then
>> 			.Left = pos
>> 			pos = pos + .Width
>> 		End If
>> 	End With
>> Next K
0
Marshall
8/28/2007 4:44:36 PM
Here is the code for one of the 17 checkbox's.

Private Sub Form_Activate()
If (Me.DemoMissing) = -1 Then
Me.DemoMissing.Visible = True
Else
Me.DemoMissing.Visible = False
End If
End Sub

On average there will only be one or two boxes checked, in which case I
would only want to see those two results, from left to right order next to
each other.  I can make everything work except the placement of the text box.
 I still have not tried your code, im not exactly sure how to use it.  Please
forgive me, but could you give me a little more detail on how to use the left
property tecnique.

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> You're right, the open event is way too soon.
>
> You never did say how you are making a column invisible,
> but, whatever it is, that's the place where you should put
> the code.
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
>

> Ryan Tisserand wrote:
> >Would I put this code in the on open event of the form?  I havent tried this
> >code, but how is the If.Visible going to work if it doesnt know if its
> >visible or not yet?

> >"Marshall Barton" wrote:
> >> You need to adjust the Left property of the other controls.
> >> How you name your controls can make it easier or more
> >> difficult.  For example if the controls a named something
> >> like Ctl1, Ctl2, ... in left to right order, then you could
> >> use code along these lines:
> >>
> >> Dim k As Integer
> >> Dim pos As Long
> >>
> >> For k = 1 to N
> >> 	With Me("Ctl" & k)
> >> 		If .Visible Then
> >> 			.Left = pos
> >> 			pos = pos + .Width
> >> 		End If
> >> 	End With
> >> Next K

You really should rename the controls as I said before.  If
you don't, you will need to have 7 lines of xide for each of
the text boxes (didn't you mean check boxes?)

If you do that, try using the Load event with code like:

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim k As Integer
Dim pos As Long

For k = 1 to N	'change N to the number of text boxes
	With Me("Ctl" & k)
		If .Value = True Then
			.Visible = True
			.Left = pos
			pos = pos + .Width
		Else
			.Visible = False
		End If
	End With
Next K

End Sub

Are you aware that whatever is done to a continuous form's
property settings will apply to every record (much like in
the query's sheet view) and that you are only checking the
value of the query fields in the first record?
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Ryan Tisserand wrote:

>Here is the code for one of the 17 checkbox's.
>
>Private Sub Form_Activate()
>If (Me.DemoMissing) = -1 Then
>Me.DemoMissing.Visible = True
>Else
>Me.DemoMissing.Visible = False
>End If
>End Sub
>
>On average there will only be one or two boxes checked, in which case I
>would only want to see those two results, from left to right order next to
>each other.  I can make everything work except the placement of the text box.
> I still have not tried your code, im not exactly sure how to use it.  Please
>forgive me, but could you give me a little more detail on how to use the left
>property tecnique.
>Private Sub Form_Activate()
>If (Me.DemoMissing) = -1 Then
>Me.DemoMissing.Visible = True
>Else
>Me.DemoMissing.Visible = False
>End If
>End Sub
>
>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>> You're right, the open event is way too soon.
>>
>> You never did say how you are making a column invisible,
>> but, whatever it is, that's the place where you should put
>> the code.
>>

>> Ryan Tisserand wrote:
>> >Would I put this code in the on open event of the form?  I havent tried this
>> >code, but how is the If.Visible going to work if it doesnt know if its
>> >visible or not yet?

0
Marshall
8/28/2007 10:25:01 PM
You see, that is the problem.  I need something that looks like this.

Date                 Patient Name   CHK = Label of the checked box
01/01/2007       John Doe         CHK1   CH4   CH13
01/02/2007       Jane Doe         CHK8
01/03/2007       Bob Smith        CHK6   CH9   CHK10   CHK12   CHK13

Ryan Tisserand wrote:

>You see, that is the problem.  I need something that looks like this.
>
>Date                 Patient Name   CHK = Label of the checked box
>01/01/2007       John Doe         CHK1   CH4   CH13
>01/02/2007       Jane Doe         CHK8
>01/03/2007       Bob Smith        CHK6   CH9   CHK10   CHK12   CHK13

There is no way to do that with the approach we've been
talking about.

How about using a concatenated list of the lable captions in
a single wide text box?  This can be done using a function
in the form's module:

Public Function CheckedNames()
Dim k As Integer
For k = 1 to N
	If Not IsNull(Me("Chk" & k)) Then
		CheckedNames = CheckedNames _
							& Me("Chk" & k).Controls(0).Caption & "  "
	End If
Next k
End Function

Then make all of the Chkxx check boxes invisible and set the
new text box's control source expression to =CheckedNames()

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

1DemoMissing: IIf([DemoMissing]=True,"DemoMissing, ",Null)

Then I did the following in the same query to build a one field result.

([1DemoMissing]) & "" & ([2Page1Missing]) & "" & ([3Page2Missing]) & "" &
([4MissingChiefComplaint]) & "" & ([5MissingPhysicianSignature]) & "" &
([6HPIIncomplete]) & "" & ([7PFSHIncomplete]) & "" & ([8ROSIncomplete]) & ""
& ([9PEIncomplete]) & "" & ([10NursesNotesMissing]) & "" &
([11SupervisingPhysiciansNotesMissing]) & "" & ([12CriticalCareTimeMissing])
& "" & ([13OrdersMissing]) & "" & ([14ProcedureMissing])

Worked like a charm because then I had all the checked boxes in one feild
seperated by a ,

Thank you for all your help Marshall.

Ryan Tisserand wrote:

>I have come up with a solution.  I have done everything in the query itself.
>Here is what I did if you wish to know.  I did the following for all my
>checkboxes.
>
>1DemoMissing: IIf([DemoMissing]=True,"DemoMissing, ",Null)
>
>Then I did the following in the same query to build a one field result.
>
>([1DemoMissing]) & "" & ([2Page1Missing]) & "" & ([3Page2Missing]) & "" &
>([4MissingChiefComplaint]) & "" & ([5MissingPhysicianSignature]) & "" &
>([6HPIIncomplete]) & "" & ([7PFSHIncomplete]) & "" & ([8ROSIncomplete]) & ""
>& ([9PEIncomplete]) & "" & ([10NursesNotesMissing]) & "" &
>([11SupervisingPhysiciansNotesMissing]) & "" & ([12CriticalCareTimeMissing])
>& "" & ([13OrdersMissing]) & "" & ([14ProcedureMissing])

Looks good to me.  It's essentially the same as my last
idea, but you did it in one long query expression instead of
using a form function in a text box expression.  The nice
thing about doing it in the query is that you avoid having
all those invisible check box controls on the form.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Checkbox control and forms
I have a database with a few different tables but each table is pretty much the same. The tables have a set of tasks in the cells in Column A (a daily routine to be completed). All other columns in cell 1 have a number 1-31 for each day of the month. I'm trying to create a windows application (I'm using Visual Studio) that as soon as it comes up asks for the users initials, then goes to the main form with a list of tasks that comes from one of the tables (I guess I'll connect using datagrid view for the rows?), beside each task there will be a check box and when the user ...

Iterating through a forms collection and setting variables for nodes
Hi, I have an html form (created by transforming an xml doc with an xsl stylesheet and sent as html within an asp.net page. The doc is a set of user instructions steps. For each of the elements that allow user input (<measurement> and <data_collection>, for example, my xsl turns that into an <input type=text name="the unique name attribute defined in the base xml doc" box in the html form (I would post it, but it's really quite large). The only "changes" the user is allowed to make are via these text boxes. When the user is done, they click a Submit bu...

summing a column according to criteria of two other columns
I am creating a cash flow forecast sheet and trying to add up the project values of a particular service provided in june this year. i am attempting to do this by referring to a sheet called data which has a column of project values (N), a column with the month and year of the project (V) written as 62004 and a column of services (E) of which i want to select those projects where the service was Translation - Standard. By looking at the help for countif by multiple criteria i altered the formula to a sumif. I am using the formula... =SUM(IF((Data!$E$3:$E$2000='Translation - Standard'...

Hiding formuals in cells question

Not allowing Alpha Characters in a Numeric Formatted Column
I have a spreadsheet that we provide to vendors where they have to fill in their product data and send it back to us where we import this data into the products database. I have the spreadsheet set up the way I want it and have drop down boxes where applicable for data validation. I have several fields that i only want #'s. Sometimes integers, sometimes there may be a decimal. I set the formats accordingly. HOwever, you can still type the letter A or B or C etc... in there. I only want them to be able to type in #'s. In access I can use a mask. Is there anything similar in Exce...

Query by Form-TJ
I need to do a Query by Form based on multiple selections from combo boxes on a form using Access 2000 I need to bring back the appropriate records in a subform. On Mon, 31 May 2010 07:08:01 -0700, ambushsinger <ambushsinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Query by Form can't do that. It can only select records in the current form view. After that, you can potentially open a new form with that subset of records in a subform. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I need to do a Query by Form based on multiple selections from combo boxes on >a form using Access 200...

display columns alphabetically
Columns used to display alphabetically left to right. It changed to now displaying numerically left to right. How do I change back to alphabetically? Go to Tools|Options and then in the General tab, uncheck R1C1 reference style. -- NBVC Where there is a will there are many ways. 'The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=136818 Perfect, thanks for easing my f...

hide my name

Forms issues
This form has five sections (all on a tab control) 1. materials 2. up 3. down and 4. take up and 5. properties. Each of these sections have parameters associated within the tab.. Section 1 is special because each of the following sections depend and the results yeilded depend on the formulation of materials in section 1. By the way each Formula is composed of maybe 3 different ingrediants at different amounts. So for example A under section 1 could be materials x, y, z at 3g 4g 5g. Section 2 will than keep A and do many trials tweeking one or two processes, if okay Section three will build...

Convert Column Letters to Number
Hi! I'm looking for a function to convert a "large" column letters (up t 10 characters) to it's equivalent in number. e.g. Input=A Output=1 Input=AAA Output=703 Input=EXCEL Output=2,708,874 Any suggestions? Regards -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Here's a VBA function that gives the results you want: Option Explicit Function ColumnToNumber(sText As String) As Variant Dim Bytes() As Byte Dim Letter As Long Dim Multiplier As Double Dim N As Double Dim Total As Double ColumnToNumber = CVErr(xlErrValue) If L...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

enter key behavior on a form
what property setting activates the next text box when hitting the enter key? right now hitting the enter key submits the form. i only want the enter key to submit the form when the command button is highlited --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Zygoid, It's the TabIndex property of the control. Set them in ascending order. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Zygoid >" <<Zygoid.113pks@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Zygoid.113pks@ex...

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

Hiding a worksheet #3

Hide images when Hiding Rows

chart on the form
Is it possible to have chart controls on the form? I would like to have Excel chart like bare, pie, line chart on the form base on the data in the table. Is it possible to do this? If yes, any controls or activeX controls available for Access? Your information is great appreciated, Use Pivot Chart view and select pivot chart on form properties. Damon "Souris" <Souris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40472F3E-CA90-4D7A-9FBB-75F89078CBD5@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have chart controls on the form? > > I would like to have Excel chart like...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Hiding plot Area

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

Report opens behind form
How do i make a report ontop of my form? I have a switchboard named "Panel" from there i click "Runs Worksheet" and it opens behind the "Panel". Also, I have a Report named "Single Rig Report" when I click on it, it opens ontop, but when i X out of it my Panel is gone?? Im lost... Help! -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Use this to open a report in the preview mode. DoCmd.OpenReport ,"rptYourReportName", acViewPreview DoCmd.SelectObject acReport,"rptYourReportName", False "stephendeloach via AccessMonste...

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Check boxes in a form not working
A user has a spreadsheet in which he has added checkboxes by drawing them in design mode and resizing to cover a cell. Then exits design mode and they work OK. When he protects the worksheet the check boxes are protected too. He has unlocked the control of the boxes but it still doesn't work, does he need to create the checkboxes in another way? What is he doing wrong? thanks in advance Diane It sounds like he used the checkboxes from the control toolbox toolbar. Have him try this: (unprotect the sheet) Go back into design mode rightclick on the checkbox and show its properties...

Click on list Item and open a Detail form
Hi Everebody, I need help withe the following: I have a form that has a listbox that gets its data through a query, the list box only show two colums: Company and ProcessDate, also the query retrieves more fields but I set the width of the columns to zero. I also have a command button "CmdViewDetail" that on_click should open a new form that will contain the rest of the information for the record I selected on the list box. How should I do this? I'm not very experienced with vba, could somebody help me? hi Sara, Sara wrote: > I also have a command button "CmdV...