Help with tracking user without enforcing security

I know that the best way to track who is in the db is to enforce security.
However, I am in a situation where the client does not want the security to
be enforced at least right now. since we will have to keep another file
(.mdw) on the network. Is there a way to track few users (5 max) in access
through code? I have a login form that has 2 text boxes, one for the user ID
and the other for the password. I have a table called tblUserLog that every
time a user logsin, a new record is created in that table keeping the login
ID and date/time. The login form fires the code in the after update event
behind a txt box for the password. I have another table called tblRole, in
which we have every user assigned a level of authority i.e. some fileds would
be locked for a user with authority level, say, 3 but same fields would be
unlocked for user authority level, say, 1. The problem I am have to solve is,
if user with level 1 logged in and in the same time a user with level 3 loged
in, how can the form differentiate between the two in the same time? Some
levels will have a read only on some fields and read/write on others. I have
only 3 levels of authority and about 5 users. I know it would have been a lot
easier with access security but I have to deal with this situation temporarly
until the testing and validation is done.
thanks

Realistically, what you want can be done, but it's trivial to circumvent
should anyone want to.

Your question about "how can the form differentiate between the two in the
same time?" makes me suspect that you haven't split your application into a
front-end (containing the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules),
linked to a back-end (containing the tables and relationships). Only the
back-end should be on the server: each user should have his/her own copy of
the front-end, ideally on his/her hard drive.

(Even if you haven't done this recommended step, Access has no problem
distinguishing between the users. This is because a copy of the form is sent
to each workstation: one of the reasons to split, to reduce network traffic)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know that the best way to track who is in the db is to enforce security.
> However, I am in a situation where the client does not want the security
> be enforced at least right now. since we will have to keep another file
> (.mdw) on the network. Is there a way to track few users (5 max) in access
> through code? I have a login form that has 2 text boxes, one for the user
> ID
> and the other for the password. I have a table called tblUserLog that
> every
> time a user logsin, a new record is created in that table keeping the
> login
> ID and date/time. The login form fires the code in the after update event
> behind a txt box for the password. I have another table called tblRole, in
> which we have every user assigned a level of authority i.e. some fileds
> would
> be locked for a user with authority level, say, 3 but same fields would be
> unlocked for user authority level, say, 1. The problem I am have to solve
> is,
> if user with level 1 logged in and in the same time a user with level 3
> loged
> in, how can the form differentiate between the two in the same time? Some
> levels will have a read only on some fields and read/write on others. I
> have
> only 3 levels of authority and about 5 users. I know it would have been a
> lot
> easier with access security but I have to deal with this situation
> temporarly
> until the testing and validation is done.
> thanks

0
Douglas
10/24/2007 7:08:47 PM
The db is going to be front end and back end but you are right the front end
is not going to be on every user machine. It would be on the server, again,
due to logistical problems. giving this situation, when I have the code
behind the form saying that, for example:

select case Authority
case 1
field1.locked = false
field2.locked = false
field3.locked = false
case 2
field1.locked = true
field2.locked = false
field3.locked = false
case 3
field1.locked = true
field2.locked = true
field3.locked = false
end select
now, if a user in the role authority 1 and another in 3 login in the same
time. the form will add 2 new records to the log table now how can the form
know who is who to lock/unlock these fields?
thanks

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> Realistically, what you want can be done, but it's trivial to circumvent
> should anyone want to.
>
> Your question about "how can the form differentiate between the two in the
> same time?" makes me suspect that you haven't split your application into a
> front-end (containing the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules),
> linked to a back-end (containing the tables and relationships). Only the
> back-end should be on the server: each user should have his/her own copy of
> the front-end, ideally on his/her hard drive.
>
> (Even if you haven't done this recommended step, Access has no problem
> distinguishing between the users. This is because a copy of the form is sent
> to each workstation: one of the reasons to split, to reduce network traffic)
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I know that the best way to track who is in the db is to enforce security.
> > However, I am in a situation where the client does not want the security
> > be enforced at least right now. since we will have to keep another file
> > (.mdw) on the network. Is there a way to track few users (5 max) in access
> > through code? I have a login form that has 2 text boxes, one for the user
> > ID
> > and the other for the password. I have a table called tblUserLog that
> > every
> > time a user logsin, a new record is created in that table keeping the
> > login
> > ID and date/time. The login form fires the code in the after update event
> > behind a txt box for the password. I have another table called tblRole, in
> > which we have every user assigned a level of authority i.e. some fileds
> > would
> > be locked for a user with authority level, say, 3 but same fields would be
> > unlocked for user authority level, say, 1. The problem I am have to solve
> > is,
> > if user with level 1 logged in and in the same time a user with level 3
> > loged
> > in, how can the form differentiate between the two in the same time? Some
> > levels will have a read only on some fields and read/write on others. I
> > have
> > only 3 levels of authority and about 5 users. I know it would have been a
> > lot
> > easier with access security but I have to deal with this situation
> > temporarly
> > until the testing and validation is done.
> > thanks

While you may only have a single copy of the MDB (bad mistake), as I said
earlier, in essence each user gets copy of the form sent to his/her
workstation so that there should be no issue.

Stop and think about it for a second. If that weren't the case, then each
user would see what the other users were typing on the form.

--

> [...]
>> > would
>> > be locked for a user with authority level, say, 3 but same fields would
>> > be
>> > unlocked for user authority level, say, 1. The problem I am have to
>> > solve
>> > is,
>> > if user with level 1 logged in and in the same time a user with level 3
>> > loged
>> > in, how can the form differentiate between the two in the same time?
>> > Some
>> > levels will have a read only on some fields and read/write on others. I
>> > have
>> > only 3 levels of authority and about 5 users. I know it would have been
>> > lot
>> > easier with access security but I have to deal with this situation
>> > temporarly
>> > until the testing and validation is done.

0
Douglas
10/24/2007 7:53:16 PM
I agree with you. Again this is a temporary setting for a testing period of
time. I am going to use a public variable and set it to equal the authority
level from the login form. based on the value of the variable the form will
behave accordingly.
thanks
Al

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> While you may only have a single copy of the MDB (bad mistake), as I said
> earlier, in essence each user gets copy of the form sent to his/her
> workstation so that there should be no issue.
>
> Stop and think about it for a second. If that weren't the case, then each
> user would see what the other users were typing on the form.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The db is going to be front end and back end but you are right the front
> > end
> > is not going to be on every user machine. It would be on the server,
> > again,
> > due to logistical problems. giving this situation, when I have the code
> > behind the form saying that, for example:
> >
> > select case Authority
> > case 1
> > field1.locked = false
> > field2.locked = false
> > field3.locked = false
> > case 2
> > field1.locked = true
> > field2.locked = false
> > field3.locked = false
> > case 3
> > field1.locked = true
> > field2.locked = true
> > field3.locked = false
> > end select
> > now, if a user in the role authority 1 and another in 3 login in the same
> > time. the form will add 2 new records to the log table now how can the
> > form
> > know who is who to lock/unlock these fields?
> > thanks
> >
> > "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
> >
> >> Realistically, what you want can be done, but it's trivial to circumvent
> >> should anyone want to.
> >>
> >> Your question about "how can the form differentiate between the two in
> >> the
> >> same time?" makes me suspect that you haven't split your application into
> >> front-end (containing the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules),
> >> linked to a back-end (containing the tables and relationships). Only the
> >> back-end should be on the server: each user should have his/her own copy
> >> of
> >> the front-end, ideally on his/her hard drive.
> >>
> >> (Even if you haven't done this recommended step, Access has no problem
> >> distinguishing between the users. This is because a copy of the form is
> >> sent
> >> to each workstation: one of the reasons to split, to reduce network
> >> traffic)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> >> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> >> (no e-mails, please!)
> >>

> >> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

sumifs help

two users on one computer
I have Windows 7 and use Outlook 2003. I really want to separate my husbands emails from mine, so I created a new email account for him. How can I have his emails sent to a different location within Outlook? You need to create his personal username in Windows 7 so that he can manage his own emails and documents; and you can manage your own emails and documents. If you don't know how to create his own username then I suggest post your query here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/threads hth "karen" <karen@discussions.micro...

Help !

Help with this thing

Security Updates
I have in my Control Panel 38 Security Updates for Windows each with 6.83MB's & 6 Update for Windows. I am wondering if they are all necessary (especially the 38 Security Updates) or does each new update override the previous one and therefore all previous updates can be deleted or must I keep all the updates...Thanks kindly ..fipsey fipsey wrote: > I have in my Control Panel 38 Security Updates for Windows each > with 6.83MB's & 6 Update for Windows. I am wondering if they are > all necessary (especially the 38 Security Updates) or does each new > u...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

User cannot send outgoing mail.
I have two users that cannot send outgoing mail through an exchange server 2003. When they try to send mail they get a NDR that states "the user does not exist". Recently, we started smart hosting through our ISP's mail server, and both of the SMTP mail addresses in question were added after this switch. This makes me think that there is some connection, but i can find nothing anywhere about this issue. Thanks. Are they trying to send to users in your Exchange organization or an external address? "Matt L." <MattL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Outlook 2007 Calender Permissions Context Menu does not open on right-click (only 1 user affected)
Hello, one of our users cannot open the context menu to set calendar permissions in Outlook 2007 (right-clicking on calendar). Hourglass appears and process hangs forever (window does not even appear). Have to use taskman to end it. No events appearing in event viewer that relate in any way :( Further details: xp32, Office 2007 Pro, all patches (2010-06-24) Running Processes, Services, Antivirus and other tools are the same for all users (accessing permissions work for others). No macros running in background. Any clue where to start my search or what to fix? Would be nice if I wouldn&#...

Macro Help

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

How do i stop the End user License Agreement from Popping Up upon.
I am using Microsoft Office Professional 2003, upon entering the program every time it starts up, the End User license agreement opens, requesting 'Accept or Decline, as well as Print'. Is there anyway of stopping this? Log on as the system administrator and accept the EULA. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Excel - Challanged." <Excel - Challanged.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37818182-0BB7-472B-B6B2-FEA5D267AA45@microsoft.com... >I am using Microsoft Office Professiona...

CRM integration with MOSS: tracking emails in CRM stored in a MOSS list
Hello, I have a question concerning integration of MOSS and CRM, and I would like to ask your opinions on best ways of doing it: In my company, we are currently using Exchange public folders to receive emails with attachments from clients. We are planning to deploy both CRM and MOSS in our organisation. However, we would like to make use of MOSS libraries to store emails (in the same way we're doing with Exchange public folders at the moment), but ALSO make use of CRM to tag these emails with a tracking ID. Question: Can we combine these features? If so, what would be the best pr...

Your Help is Appreciated

Exchange Security/Hotfix State
Hi All, I was wondering is there a way to check the hotfix/rollup state of the Exchange Server. I know I can use Baseline security Analyzer and Add/Remove Programs to check windows updates but is there a way (as in SQL Server) to determine what level of patching the Exchange Server is at ? Under ExchangeAdmin/Servers/Servername I get a version of Version 6.0 Build 6249.4 Service pack 3. This is despite the fact that I have installed Update Rollup for Exchange 2000 (KB870540). The version should now be 6396.1 , I thought. Neither does KB870540 appear in Add/Remove programs. Is the...

bcc help

Tracking message in OWA
In OWA, i can enable the "Request a delivery receipt for this message" & "Request a read receipt for this message" whenever compose, reply or forward a mail. Can it be configured sure that it is always enable and i don't have to manually do it whenever i need to send a mail (Just like the way i did in Outlook 2003)? Unfortunately, the only way that a read receipt or delivery receipt can be requested is on a per message basis. There is no way to have that set as the default setting that will automatically apply to all messages, which you can do in Outlook. ==...