Help with Loop Apend Query in VBA

I have a table of 14 colums, first 2 are text and the last 12 are numeric
with the field name eg. Jan-08, Feb-08, etc

I need to take this data month by month and append it to a table of 4 colums
with the first 2 colums as text then a date field and then a value field.

What is the VBA code for DoCmd.RunSQL and the loop code I need to use?

Regards

Chase

You don't have a database, you have a spreadsheet.  You have back yourself
into a really ugly corner.  Having field names like Jan-08, etc means every
year you have to change your table field names and all code that reference
these fields.  You would be way better off to radically change your design so
you have the two text fields, a field name Period, and a value field, much
like the second table you are describing.

The it would be much easier to create a query that would pull the data from
the 4 column table into the "spreadsheet view" your table is now in.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Chase" wrote:

> I have a table of 14 colums, first 2 are text and the last 12 are numeric
> with the field name eg. Jan-08, Feb-08, etc
>
> I need to take this data month by month and append it to a table of 4 colums
> with the first 2 colums as text then a date field and then a value field.
>
> What is the VBA code for DoCmd.RunSQL and the loop code I need to use?
>
> Regards
>
> Chase
Klatuu

I am importing a 30,000 line spreadsheet hence the 14 fields and the field
names. I need to convert this to the 4 fields as stated so that I can use the
2 text fields which have relationships to other tables to enable me to
generate exports. I tried attaching all the relevant data in excel with
vlookups, but the PC is not powerful enough to deal with the volumes of data
and the pivots required.

Please can you help with VBA code that will process the Append query so that
can reference a text box on a form so I don't have to open the query change
the Jan-08 to Feb-08 and do that for each of the other 10 months.

Regards

Chase
"Klatuu" wrote:

> You don't have a database, you have a spreadsheet.  You have back yourself
> into a really ugly corner.  Having field names like Jan-08, etc means every
> year you have to change your table field names and all code that reference
> these fields.  You would be way better off to radically change your design so
> you have the two text fields, a field name Period, and a value field, much
> like the second table you are describing.
>
> The it would be much easier to create a query that would pull the data from
> the 4 column table into the "spreadsheet view" your table is now in.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Chase" wrote:
>
> > I have a table of 14 colums, first 2 are text and the last 12 are numeric
> > with the field name eg. Jan-08, Feb-08, etc
> >
> > I need to take this data month by month and append it to a table of 4 colums
> > with the first 2 colums as text then a date field and then a value field.
> >
> > What is the VBA code for DoCmd.RunSQL and the loop code I need to use?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Chase
On my website (www.rogersaccesslibrary.com), is a small Access database
sample called "NormalizeDenormalize.mdb" does something very similar.
Perhaps if you downloaded it and worked through it, it would give you some
ideas.

--
--Roger Carlson
  MS Access MVP

"Chase" <Chase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a table of 14 colums, first 2 are text and the last 12 are numeric
> with the field name eg. Jan-08, Feb-08, etc
>
> I need to take this data month by month and append it to a table of 4
> colums
> with the first 2 colums as text then a date field and then a value field.
>
> What is the VBA code for DoCmd.RunSQL and the loop code I need to use?
>
> Regards
>
> Chase

0
Roger

Simple VBA Deletion of certain rows.
Good evening all. this seems so simple but I have tried searching Google, but to no avail. And so I do hope someone can help me here. I am simply looking for code to delete the rows that have Zero in Column C, a simple example as follows: Formats: A=Text, B=Text, C=Number A B C 1 Header Header Header 2 003 M080 85.26 3 005 M080 0.00 4 004 M076 25.25 5 002 M085 0.00 6 006 M564 0.00 7 001 K798 ...

sumifs help

Help !

MS Query variable
Is it possible to pass a variable to an MS query from and excel spreadsheet. ie. can the user enter something into a cell on sheet1 and this be called into an MSquery and the query run on this info? Dean This is certainly possible. However the MSquery results must be returned to excel. You need to access the query properties (right click in the data returned area) and select the Parameters option. This menu option is sensitive to the fact that the query is expecting parameters so ensure that the query is constructed for this first. (MSQuery help hsows you how) Then it is simply a m...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Use Outlook to send to contacts in a query
Is there a way to set Outlook to send to contacts stored in a query (or a table) WITHOUT just importing them and doing it that way? I want to create a database, set Outlook to look in it, and have it send to contacts whose contact information will be listed in that database. Alan: Yes, there is a way. But have you explored, and rejected, storing contacts in Outlook and creating Outlook Distribution Lists? If you really need to store your contacts in Access, then you could use VBA code in your Access database to start Outlook and send and an email (or Mailitem as Outlook calls it). Y...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

Query to Count "0" in Row
I am trying to create an expression in a query that says if CONTRIBUTION BEGIN year is less then 2006 and the AUTE2 = 00/00/00 then count the number of "0" in the rown and multiply that by 58. This is what I had thought up so far, but I know it isn't right. CONTRIBUTION DUE: IIF([CONTRIBUTION BEGIN], 'yyyy' <2006, AND AUTE2 = 00/00/00, Count "0" And Multiply by 58 Any input is greatly appreciated. -Anthony Morano What kind of data type is being stored in your [AUTE2] field? If that is supposed to be a date, I don't think Access considers #00/00/00...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

VBA code to perform calculations
Hello. Some background for my question. I have a db that contains (among other things) cost codes and cost types. I have written IIf statements for this, but now think that it's going to get way too big, I want to use VBA coding. For example. If cost code/cost type = 20110.5320 (a cost field) and is greater than zero, then take this amount and divide it by txtFirewatchLabEst (which is an manhour field). Result returned in currency format. I have over 40 of these scenareos to perform these calculations. In the next field: If cost code/cost type = 20110.5320 (a ...

OLE DB Query in Excel
Is it possible to pass parameters to SQL in an OLE DB query within Excel. For example: Select * from property where prop_id = ? Somehow link the parameter to a cell in the spreadsheet or something in like. Thanks. Hi Joe, You can link parameters from your spreadsheet to SQL statements but right off hand I can't remember if you need to do this with a VBA SQL line or you can imbed it directly in an SQL statement. Could you show us the SQL statement or VBA SQL line. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "JOE OROZCO" wrote: > Is it possible to pass parameters to SQL in an OLE...

bcc help

Comparing queries
Hi, I am using a database storing equipment for rooms where I have two queries set up, one listing original equipment and another listing current equipment for room layouts. The two queries work fine independantly, but I now want to compare differences between these where I need to know: 1 - equipment in both original and current rooms. 2 - equipment in original room now missing from current room. 3 - equipment in current room, not required in original room. Regards, Dave. You did not say anything about the table structure so I will go with what you posted. Use a unio...

Rules Wizard Help