Help with changing alpha string to Numeric

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate question.

I am trying to Change an alpha string to a number. It works in one case and
not the other. I am using the msgbox for trouble shooting.  The
txtPOtoRMATransision and txtPOtoRMATransision2 were added during the
troubleshooting process.  They are unbound txtboxes.  The control source for
Me.txtRMANumber is numeric - long integer. It works for PM0000193-2 and not
for PM0000193-20.  Hope this is clear.

Happy New Year to all!

' Change PO number to RMA # if Customer Number is 1

' Change PO number to RMA # if Customer Number is 1
' if not 1 then go to fldseqnumber and add 1 for the RMA Number

If txtCustomerID = "1" Then 'using PM0000193-2 and PM0000193-20 as examples
Me.txtPOtoRMATransision = Left(Me.txtPONumber, 9) & Mid(Me.txtPONumber, 11,
2) 'gives PM00001932 and PM000019320 respectively
MsgBox (Me.txtPOtoRMATransision) 'gives PM00001932 and PM000019320
respectively
Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2 = "8" & Mid(Me.txtPOtoRMATransision, 3)
MsgBox (Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2) 'gives 800001932 and 8000019320 respectively

Me.txtRMANumber = Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2 ' *****here I am getting run time
error  "2147352567 the value for this field ins't valid
Me.txtSalesOrderNumber.SetFocus 'Then enter Sales Order Number
--
Thanks for any assistance

How are you "trying to change"...?  What function or procedure are you
using?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"NNlogistics" <NNlogistics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me if this is a duplicate question.
>
> I am trying to Change an alpha string to a number. It works in one case
> and
> not the other. I am using the msgbox for trouble shooting.  The
> txtPOtoRMATransision and txtPOtoRMATransision2 were added during the
> troubleshooting process.  They are unbound txtboxes.  The control source
> for
> Me.txtRMANumber is numeric - long integer. It works for PM0000193-2 and
> not
> for PM0000193-20.  Hope this is clear.
>
> Happy New Year to all!
>
> ' Change PO number to RMA # if Customer Number is 1
>

> ' Change PO number to RMA # if Customer Number is 1
> ' if not 1 then go to fldseqnumber and add 1 for the RMA Number
>
> If txtCustomerID = "1" Then 'using PM0000193-2 and PM0000193-20 as
> examples
> Me.txtPOtoRMATransision = Left(Me.txtPONumber, 9) & Mid(Me.txtPONumber,
> 11,
> 2) 'gives PM00001932 and PM000019320 respectively
> MsgBox (Me.txtPOtoRMATransision) 'gives PM00001932 and PM000019320
> respectively
> Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2 = "8" & Mid(Me.txtPOtoRMATransision, 3)
> MsgBox (Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2) 'gives 800001932 and 8000019320
> respectively
>
> Me.txtRMANumber = Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2 ' *****here I am getting run
> time
> error  "2147352567 the value for this field ins't valid
> Me.txtSalesOrderNumber.SetFocus 'Then enter Sales Order Number
> --
> Thanks for any assistance

0
Jeff
1/5/2010 8:10:03 PM
Try

Me.txtRMANumber = CLng(Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2)

or, safer,

If IsNumeric(Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2)
  Me.txtRMANumber = CLng(Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2)
End If

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"NNlogistics" <NNlogistics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me if this is a duplicate question.
>
> I am trying to Change an alpha string to a number. It works in one case
> and
> not the other. I am using the msgbox for trouble shooting.  The
> txtPOtoRMATransision and txtPOtoRMATransision2 were added during the
> troubleshooting process.  They are unbound txtboxes.  The control source
> for
> Me.txtRMANumber is numeric - long integer. It works for PM0000193-2 and
> not
> for PM0000193-20.  Hope this is clear.
>
> Happy New Year to all!
>
> ' Change PO number to RMA # if Customer Number is 1
>

> ' Change PO number to RMA # if Customer Number is 1
> ' if not 1 then go to fldseqnumber and add 1 for the RMA Number
>
> If txtCustomerID = "1" Then 'using PM0000193-2 and PM0000193-20 as
> examples
> Me.txtPOtoRMATransision = Left(Me.txtPONumber, 9) & Mid(Me.txtPONumber,
> 11,
> 2) 'gives PM00001932 and PM000019320 respectively
> MsgBox (Me.txtPOtoRMATransision) 'gives PM00001932 and PM000019320
> respectively
> Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2 = "8" & Mid(Me.txtPOtoRMATransision, 3)
> MsgBox (Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2) 'gives 800001932 and 8000019320
> respectively
>
> Me.txtRMANumber = Me.txtPOtoRMATransision2 ' *****here I am getting run
> time
> error  "2147352567 the value for this field ins't valid
> Me.txtSalesOrderNumber.SetFocus 'Then enter Sales Order Number
> --
> Thanks for any assistance

0
Douglas

sumifs help

Search a string in all worksheets ?
I am searching for a string say ABC in all worksheets in Excel 97. However, it seems that it only allows me to search it in the current worksheet. Is there any suggestion ? Hi Peter............ In XL2k, I just highlighted all three sheets using Right-click on one tab and choosing Select all sheets..........then did Edit > Find > and typed my search string in the window and hit "Find next" repeatedly and it cycled through all three sheets finding the string...........is that what you're wanting to do? Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Peter" <anonymous@di...

change check box value based on combo box value
I have a form (Form1) with a combo box (Combo43) with three values: Reference 1 Antenatal 1 Quant 1 I also have two check boxes (check36 and check34) What is the best way to implement such that when Reference 1 is selected in the combo box, check34 changes from false to true, and when Antenenal 1 or quant 1 is selected, check 36 changes to true? I've tried something along the lines of, but no luck: Private Sub Combo43_AfterUpdate() If Me.Combo43 = "Reference 1" Then Me.Check32 = True Else Me.Check32 = False End If End Sub I'm a beginner at this, so any help would be ...

Help !

Help with this thing

how can I get a cell to change color by date to indicate expiery t
I'm trying to get the cell color to change from green to yellow to red as a date entered in the cell gets closer to that date plus 12 months or 36 months. ie some task was completed on 1 Jan 08 and will last for 24 months so I want the cell to read green if the date is still good turn yellow a month or 2 before it expires and turn red and clear the date if expired. So if the cell is empty it should show red. But I want to be able to update the date the task was completed ie it was completed again on the 15 Dec 10 before it expired so I want the countdown to expiration to restart f...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Is there a way to change the return value for and ON_CONTROL() handler to return 0
I have a message map that is using the ON_CONTROL() handler. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a ON_CONTROL_EX() or something like that that allows me to control the return value. I am handling a notification and I am doing some processing, but I need to be able to return a 0 from my handler. Without getting into using a switch statement and a ON_COMMAND() handler, is there a way to do this? Is there some function I can call within my message handler that would set the return value? -- Thanks, Bruce Who is going to see the return code? AliR. "Bruce" <...

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

Can We Use "cout" in MFC? How About "string"?
How do we use "cout" in MFC. How about string maria("lennox")? None of them works. Please explain; maria Why in the world would you want to? Where do you think it is going to put it? For debug tracing, see my Logging Listbox Control on my MVP Tips site. joe On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:19:44 -0400, maria <<>> wrote: >How do we use "cout" in MFC. How about >string maria("lennox")? >None of them works. Please explain; > >maria Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http:...

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...