Form with two nested subforms.

I am setting up a database with three main forms. The parent form is called
[Orders].  The first subform is called [People]. the Second subform is called
[records].  Each order can have multiple people in it.  Each person can have
multiple records.  To keep all of the data on one page, I nested two
different subforms.  The problem is that I am having problems running simple
functions on my second subform [records].  The first problem is using the
findrecord operation to find a value (MaxID) in the ID field.  Here is what I
have:

Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus
Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Form![ID].SetFocus
DoCmd.FindRecord MaxID

The first two lines work (the ID field ends up having the focus), but the
last line gives me a runtime error.  If I run this code slightly modified
with only one subform, it works fine.

The second problem is with an on_open event.  When the entire form is loaded
I need to filter a field in the second nested form called [hide].  If [hide]
is true, I want that record filtered. I don't want to do it in the query,
because I want the user to have the oportunity to see all of the records.
Here is what I have:

Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Filter = "[hide] = 0"
Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].FilterOn = True

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it.  Thanks for
your help.

Tyler wrote:

>I am setting up a database with three main forms. The parent form is called
>[Orders].  The first subform is called [People]. the Second subform is called
>[records].  Each order can have multiple people in it.  Each person can have
>multiple records.  To keep all of the data on one page, I nested two
>different subforms.  The problem is that I am having problems running simple
>functions on my second subform [records].  The first problem is using the
>findrecord operation to find a value (MaxID) in the ID field.  Here is what I
>have:
>
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Form![ID].SetFocus
>DoCmd.FindRecord MaxID
>
>The first two lines work (the ID field ends up having the focus), but the
>last line gives me a runtime error.  If I run this code slightly modified
>with only one subform, it works fine.
>
>The second problem is with an on_open event.  When the entire form is loaded
>I need to filter a field in the second nested form called [hide].  If [hide]
>is true, I want that record filtered. I don't want to do it in the query,
>because I want the user to have the oportunity to see all of the records.
>Here is what I have:
>
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Filter = "[hide] = 0"
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].FilterOn = True
>
>If anyone knows what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it.  Thanks for
>your help.

I suspecty that MaxID is not the name of a field, control or
variable in the records subform.  Perhaps you forgot to
change it when you copied from the other form or maybe you
haven't calculated it yet??

The filter code should be:

Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].FORM.Filter = "[hide]
= 0"
Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].FORM.FilterOn = True

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

For the MaxID field, when the VBA code crashes, I hover my mouse over the
MAXID text it flashes up the number that I needed it to look for, so I don't
think it is a problem with that field.

The other thing I thought might be a problem is that as part of the code I
insert a new record into the second subform and then immediately after that I
want to make that new record the current one in the second subform to allow
input (so the user doesn't need to look for the new record).  I thought that
it might be that the record wasn't actually written to the database yet, but
when I take this code from a form that has two nested subforms to a form that
just has one (I eliminate the Orders portion of the form) it works fine.
That is why I think that there is something wrong with how I am referencing
the second subform.

Thanks again for your help.  The one that you already helped me on was the
big problem, hopefully you have some insight on the other.

Tyler wrote:
>The other thing I thought might be a problem is that as part of the code I
>insert a new record into the second subform and then immediately after that I
>want to make that new record the current one in the second subform to allow
>input (so the user doesn't need to look for the new record).  I thought that
>it might be that the record wasn't actually written to the database yet, but
>when I take this code from a form that has two nested subforms to a form that
>just has one (I eliminate the Orders portion of the form) it works fine.
>That is why I think that there is something wrong with how I am referencing
>the second subform.

I have no way of knowing what might be wrong until you post
whatever code you are using along with a brief explanation
of which form has the code and which form is being
manipulated.

The fact that it works as a main form but not as a subform
might be the same kind of problem as before or it might be
something else.  It's not even clear why you are inserting a
new record in a table instead of just navigating to a new
record.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click()

Dim SQLStmt As String
Dim Maxid As Long

' This inserts te new record in the record form
SQLStmt = "INSERT INTO [tbl-Data-Records] ( [People ID]) SELECT " &
Me![People ID]
DoCmd.RunSQL SQLStmt

Me.Refresh

' This finds the ID value that was assigned to the new record by the
autonumber property
Maxid = DMax("[Record ID]", "[tbl-Data-Records]")

Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Requery

' Makes the form I want to input into the current form
Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus

' Makes the field I want to search through the current form
Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Form![Record ID].SetFocus

' Find the record.
DoCmd.FindRecord MaxID

End Sub

Tyler wrote:
>The button is in the first subform (the 'People' subform).  It adds a new
>record into the second subform and fills out the linked field to match the
>first subform. In the end, the only reason I don't use a acnewrec command is
>so I can clean up my form.  I think it looks cleaner without having the blank
>records in the second subform.  It is a preference thing, but I realize that
>I am using a Rube Goldberg task to do something simple (although, I am not
>sure how to go to a new record in a second subform).  I have a feeling that
>these are all linked.  My problem is I am not sure if I need to supplement my
>docmd's if they need to operate/manipulate data in a subform.
>
>Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click()
>
>Dim SQLStmt As String
>Dim Maxid As Long
>
>' This inserts te new record in the record form
>SQLStmt = "INSERT INTO [tbl-Data-Records] ( [People ID]) SELECT " &
>Me![People ID]
>DoCmd.RunSQL SQLStmt
>
>Me.Refresh
>
>' This finds the ID value that was assigned to the new record by the
>autonumber property
>Maxid = DMax("[Record ID]", "[tbl-Data-Records]")
>
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Requery
>
>' Makes the form I want to input into the current form
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus
>
>' Makes the field I want to search through the current form
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Form![Record ID].SetFocus
>
>' Find the record.
>DoCmd.FindRecord MaxID
>
>End Sub

Where is this code?  It kind of looks like it's in the
people subform and you want to add a record to the records
subsubform.  If I have that right, I think you are
refreshing the wrong form.  Shouldn't it be

Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].Form.Refresh

But I believe the later Requery would take care of it, so
that is probably irrelevant.

I may have a blind spot, but the only thing that I can see
after staring at it all day is that the newly added record's
autonumber is not guaranteed to be the greatest value, so
it's conceivable that DMax is not finding the new record,
but that is so unlikely as to be another irrelevant shot in
the dark.

Since I abhor Docmd, I would not approach things the way you
have and I can't really say if there is something missing.
I guess the proof is in what happens, does the code do what
you want or is something going off the rails?

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus
DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

This just adds a new record in the [People] form, not the [Records] form.
This is about as minimalized of code as I can get so I know that the error is
in the DoCmd code, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I appreciate the time you
are spending trying to help me out, any help you can give me I appreciate it.
Tyler wrote:

>Yes, you are correct, the button is in the people subform.  When the code
>crashes and it takes me to the debugger and I hove the mouse over the "MaxID"
>text, the control tip that pops up gives me the value that I am looking for,
>it just seems that I have coded something wrong with the docmd.  Most of the
>problems I run into, is that I I don't reference subforms correctly.  So I am
>leaning towards the problem being that I need to do something else to allow
>the docmd to run in the second subform.  For example, if I were to simplify
>my code by taking out the "Insert Into" statement, and do it with the
>acNewRec code I would think the following code would work, but it doesn't.
>
>Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus
>DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
>
>This just adds a new record in the [People] form, not the [Records] form.
>This is about as minimalized of code as I can get so I know that the error is
>in the DoCmd code, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I appreciate the time you
>are spending trying to help me out, any help you can give me I appreciate it.

That's why I avoid DoCmd if there is any other way.  Many
DoCmd methods just don't have have a way for you to specify
which object (form/subform) you are trying to manipulate.

The way I usually approach this kind of thing is along the
lines of this air code, but I don't know what might happen
when AllowAdditions is set to No.

Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click()
Dim SQLStmt As String
Dim Maxid As Long

	' Save any changes to current people record
If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False

	' This inserts a new record in the record form
With Me.Records.Form.RecordsetClone
	.AddNew
		![People ID] = Me.[People ID]
		Maxid = ![Record ID]		'I doubt you need this
	.Update
	Me.Records.Form.Bookmark = .LastModified
End With

' Makes the form I want to input into the current form
Me.Records.SetFocus

' Makes the field I want to search through the current form
Me.Records.Form![Record ID].SetFocus

End Sub

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> Tyler wrote:
>
> >Yes, you are correct, the button is in the people subform.  When the code
> >crashes and it takes me to the debugger and I hove the mouse over the "MaxID"
> >text, the control tip that pops up gives me the value that I am looking for,
> >it just seems that I have coded something wrong with the docmd.  Most of the
> >problems I run into, is that I I don't reference subforms correctly.  So I am
> >leaning towards the problem being that I need to do something else to allow
> >the docmd to run in the second subform.  For example, if I were to simplify
> >my code by taking out the "Insert Into" statement, and do it with the
> >acNewRec code I would think the following code would work, but it doesn't.
> >
> >Forms![Orders]![People].Form![Records].SetFocus
> >DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
> >
> >This just adds a new record in the [People] form, not the [Records] form.
> >This is about as minimalized of code as I can get so I know that the error is
> >in the DoCmd code, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I appreciate the time you
> >are spending trying to help me out, any help you can give me I appreciate it.
>

> That's why I avoid DoCmd if there is any other way.  Many
> DoCmd methods just don't have have a way for you to specify
> which object (form/subform) you are trying to manipulate.
>
> The way I usually approach this kind of thing is along the
> lines of this air code, but I don't know what might happen
> when AllowAdditions is set to No.
>
> Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click()
> Dim SQLStmt As String
> Dim Maxid As Long
>
> 	' Save any changes to current people record
> If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
>
> 	' This inserts a new record in the record form
> With Me.Records.Form.RecordsetClone
> 	.AddNew
> 		![People ID] = Me.[People ID]
> 		Maxid = ![Record ID]		'I doubt you need this
> 	.Update
> 	Me.Records.Form.Bookmark = .LastModified
> End With
>
> ' Makes the form I want to input into the current form
> Me.Records.SetFocus
>
> ' Makes the field I want to search through the current form
> Me.Records.Form![Record ID].SetFocus
>
> End Sub
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

Auto populate a form form an open form
Hi I have a main form with customer names and addresses and would like to add a control button on this form which opens up another form which is used for recording telephone calls on. What I have been trying to do is auto populate this call log form with information from the main form ie name and address? Any thoughts Thanks Chris Chris, Please don't re-post the same question twice. You have to be patient and wait for a reply. Responders are volunteers, and you may not get an answer right away. Posting twice causes some people to respond to the first post, while others are ...

Two or more dots next to each other in address
Hi all! Can anybody help? On some freemail servers users are allowed to registrate email address that contains two or more dots next to each other in local part (before '@') of the address. However, when I try to send an email to some of these addresses, Exchange 2k3 returns the NDR "The format of the e-mail address is incorrect" (error code 5.1.3). Yes, I have already read RFC 2822 in which the dot is used as a separator of particular tokens :) However, my users are not interested in RFC's standars, they want to send email anyone they want... Is there any way to...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

form pozition on screen
I would like to find form position on screen. It's similar to DoCmd.movesize, but I want discover "parameters' for form position (left corner, top corner, etc) Are you saying that you want to find out what the current position IS? If so, you can use something like this: MyFormLeftVariable = Me.Left MyFormTopVariable = Me.Top MsgBox "My Form is at " & MyFormLeftVariable & VbCrLf & MyFormTopVariable Or however you want to use it. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com ___________...

What is the purpose of 'Dummy' window in the Command forms
I am wondering why GP has Dummy window with title "~internal~" for the Command forms. For example Command_Financial form has Dummy window Do I need to create Dummy window for my Command forms. If so why I need it. Any comments appreciated!!! Hi Mandeep, The Dummy window is there as a placeholder. It really doesn't do anything, but should be there in order for the form to work properly since your form needs to be open for the commands to be available. The title ~internal~ just prevents this window from showing up in the Security assignment windows. Make sure that...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Form class module for non-existent form
Hi, After copying a form with a class module, something went wrong. I now have a class module for the new form, but the form no longer exists. I am unable to remove the in-limbo class module. I want to use that name for my form, which is not possible as long as that class module is in the way. How do I get rid of the in-limbo class module? I've tried repairing tha DB as well as "msaccess /decompile" but it hasn't helped. Anything else? Thanks, Kjell Kjell, A class module is not part of a form, but a separate module. It sounds like your 'in-limbo' module is...

Setting the Windows Cursor during Form Processing
hiya gurus I would like to force the mouse cursor to immediately become an hourglass when some long processing/quering commences on a form. it appears that it takes some time for Access to show the hourglass and usually only after the user clicks the form a couple of times because there appears to be nothing happening... Is there an easy way to do this from within Access.. I have done it in VB6 using Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass but this does nto work in Access.. any suggestions? cheers Jeff mmmmm Screen.MousePointer = 11 guess this does it? "jeff" <jeff@work...

Position 2nd Form according to 1st Form
I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, I want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top of the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. "AY" <AY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFA3A4B5-36D9-4A20-AB57-601290155335@microsoft.com... >I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, >I > want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top > of > the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. You should be able to use Nicole Calinoiu...

TOURNAMENT FORMS
Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. You may find some old NCAA basketball tournament forms out on the web. Try http://google.com HHSTENNIS wrote: > > Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Modal form opens on startup
Evenin' - I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the information to export it from Access. When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of the fellow who wrote the Access app. Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for...

Forms and Input Data
I created a report form on Sheet 1 and a set of input data on subsequen Sheets 2, 3, ... link to the report. The report is to show informatio on either of the data I select. Are there simple steps for me to pick either set of data I want t display on the report? I've thought of a pull-down menu so that if select "1", the report will show data set "1", and so on. Yet I don' know how to do it. I tried the "replace" command by highlighting al the cell in the Report sheet then type "2" in place of "1" to replac the data set then hitting...

Run Macro only if certain form is open
I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form opens? In other words can I run a macro based on wheather a certain form is active? -- Thanks, Chuck Take a look at the RunMacro Method of the DoCmd object. You can have it as part of the OnLoad of the form in question. Chuck wrote: >I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on >an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form >opens? In other w...

Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop ...

how to solve "Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application"
Hi, I am trying to make a modalless form in VB6 that is compiled as an ActiveX DLL. When i use VC6 to instance the activex DLL, my problem appears that "406 Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application from an ActiveX DLL, ActiveX control or Property Page." I have my form in modalless style in VB6 and they should be instanced in VC. Does anyone know how to get this to work ? Many Thanks, Xiao http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176468 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "arbidol" <arbidol@tom...

Temporary Form with 2 Sub form Update Main Form And its Sub form ?
I have 2 table both are exactly same PatientRecordTransTb And PatientRecordTb I know many programmer don’t like TempTb, but in my case I don’t trust some one to mess with my Main record table. So simple solution is make tamp table and after review I click to transfer all records from temp Table to main Table So I have two forms . PatientRecTransFm record sources = PatientRecordTransTb PatientRecordMainFm record source = PatientRecordTb PatientRecTransFm has 2 button AddRecord And Delete Record Here is a short story of my code (NOT A Actual Code) mySQLString = &quo...

Customization to a Contact Form Does NOT Stick
Everytime I try to add a field in a Contact form, the change does not stick. I have administrator rights, followed the instructions to customize a form to the t. The instructions entailed going to: Home -> Settings Settings tab -> System Customization Record Management -> Contacts Add Fields -select fields to add ok - > save work On the CRM server Start -> Programs -> Microsoft CRM -> Deployment Manager Right click: Deployment Manager -> All Tasks ->Publish Customization Select form customized Add Finish OK Restart IIS After performing these steps, I get b...

I need book lending forms
Please I need your help, I'm looking for book lending forms in order to keep control of which books I'm borrowing and when they have to be returned to me. Thanks ...

autonumber is it possible to link two fields
Hi, Iam trying to do a project for uni and i need to have a letter infront of the id number that is generated. pls help! I have 15 unique ids and 3 variables, the 3 variables are to specify if the game in question, a league, cup or friendly so i need a F,C or L infront of the id num, all three of the variables are in a list box hope that helps! If you check Access HELP for "autonumber", or search on-line for "Access" and "autonumber", you'll find that Microsoft Access does NOT do that for an Autonumber data type field. Given that this is a &q...

Using list box to open forms
I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks. On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:35:22 -0000, lecoughlin@gmail.com wrote: > I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would > like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, > and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this > would be appreciated. > > Thanks. Code the list box Double-Cli...

from sub form to main form
Hope someone can help on this. I have an a form with a sub form and I’m trying to get some calculated results From my sub to show up in my main form. The Main Form is Job_Sheet_2 The Sub Form is work_hours_sub On the sub I have the following fields that are populated from a query. The criteria for the query comes from a combo box on the main form. JobID EmployeeID StopDate HundredTime The following are field that I added Labor_charge { Fixed Value} Extended { =[Labor_Charge]*[hundredtime} In the footer of my Sub I have the following Text12 ...

nested ifs
Hi all, I am unfamiliar with nested IF statements. I want to have a formula evaluate the following: b1=.005, b2 could =-.004 or b2 could =.004 If b1 is > than 0, then I want to add 1 to b1 and multiply it by 1+b2 if b2 is > 0, or by 1 less the absolute value of b2 if b2 is < 0. so: 1.005*1.004....which is (b1+1)*(b2+1) or 1.005*.996....which is (b1+1)*(1-|b2|). Thanks for the help david Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Some Advice to n00bs at .NET! http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e94a9ddb-3994-40e2-9b6d-f998ffc56b...

Outlook form cache problem
In the company where I work, we use custom forms without code. The custom forms are used as a forced form when a new appointment or meeting request is made in a resource calendar (in a public folder). When an existing appointment is opened, most of the time the form is showed. However several times a week there is a problem with the form cache and the default appointment form is displayed instead of the custom form. The problems occur when the user has opened multiple appointments in the same resource calendar. The custom forms in other resource calendars are still available for this u...

Making a form Maximize when opened?
How do I do this? "m galvin" <mgalvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BE1B7CF-E57A-42D5-B103-8A48E657C0E5@microsoft.com... > How do I do this? In the form's Open event, execute the statement: DoCmd.Maximize Note that maximizing a form also maximizes any other (non-popup) forms and reports, so you may want to restore things when the form closes. In that case, you could use the form's Close event to execute the statement DoCmd.Restore You can also do the same thing using the corresponding macro actions, Maximize an...