Force Form to finish Loading before running Code

Sorry Folks ... Pulling my hair out here ... I have a for that loads and
after load I want it to un a query. Problem is that the query always launched
before the form has completed loading.

I have tried using the Form_Activate option as suggested in another post
amopngst a number of others

Is there an easy way to force the Form to load First
--
Many Thanks

Alan

At what point do you want the query to run?
What does the query do?
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Alan" wrote:

> Sorry Folks ... Pulling my hair out here ... I have a for that loads and
> after load I want it to un a query. Problem is that the query always launched
> before the form has completed loading.
>
> I have tried using the Form_Activate option as suggested in another post
> amopngst a number of others
>
> Is there an easy way to force the Form to load First
> --
> Many Thanks
>
> Alan
Dave

I want the query to run after the form has fully loaded. The query is a
simple import

--
Many Thanks for your help

Alan

"Klatuu" wrote:

> At what point do you want the query to run?
> What does the query do?
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Alan" wrote:
>
> > Sorry Folks ... Pulling my hair out here ... I have a for that loads and
> > after load I want it to un a query. Problem is that the query always launched
> > before the form has completed loading.
> >
> > I have tried using the Form_Activate option as suggested in another post
> > amopngst a number of others
> >
> > Is there an easy way to force the Form to load First
> > --
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Alan
Well, there is no event that fires when the form is fully loaded, so you may
need to trick it a bit by using the form's Timer event.
Set the Timer Interval property in design view to something small, maybe a
second or two. 2000 would be 2 seconds

Then in the Timer Event, run the query and set the Timer Interval to 0 so it
wont' run again in the current session.

--

"Alan" wrote:

> Dave
>
> I want the query to run after the form has fully loaded. The query is a
> simple import
>
> --
> Many Thanks for your help
>
> Alan
>

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > At what point do you want the query to run?
> > What does the query do?
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Alan" wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry Folks ... Pulling my hair out here ... I have a for that loads and
> > > after load I want it to un a query. Problem is that the query always launched
> > > before the form has completed loading.
> > >
> > > I have tried using the Form_Activate option as suggested in another post
> > > amopngst a number of others
> > >
> > > Is there an easy way to force the Form to load First
> > > --
> > > Many Thanks
> > >
> > > Alan
Dave

Sorry for the delay getting back to you here...

I already use the Form Timer Event set to 1000 to provide a clock on the
form being presented. I am seeking a way of allowing the user to load the
initial form and continue to use the functions on it, while the import runs
in the  background.

The import code contains a number of Do Events hoever the form wont load
fully first to allow the user to make use of some of the additional
functionality

Sorry I should have been more explicit first time round

--
Many Thanks Again

Alan

"Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dave
>
> Sorry for the delay getting back to you here...
>
> I already use the Form Timer Event set to 1000 to provide a clock on the
> form being presented. I am seeking a way of allowing the user to load the
> initial form and continue to use the functions on it, while the import
> runs
> in the  background.
>
> The import code contains a number of Do Events hoever the form wont load
> fully first to allow the user to make use of some of the additional
> functionality
>
> Sorry I should have been more explicit first time round
>
> --
> Many Thanks Again
>
> Alan
>

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
>> Well, there is no event that fires when the form is fully loaded, so you
>> may
>> need to trick it a bit by using the form's Timer event.
>> Set the Timer Interval property in design view to something small, maybe
>> second or two. 2000 would be 2 seconds
>>
>> Then in the Timer Event, run the query and set the Timer Interval to 0 so
>> it
>> wont' run again in the current session.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>> "Alan" wrote:
>>
>> > Dave
>> >
>> > I want the query to run after the form has fully loaded. The query is a
>> > simple import
>> >
>> > --
>> > Many Thanks for your help
>> >
>> > Alan

PMFJI but it sounds like your form may in fact be loaded, just not visible
yet (guessing). Try Me.Repaint

1
Stuart
10/27/2007 2:58:31 PM
Stuart

Thanks for the update ... however did try that and it appears the query
takes over
--
Many Thanks for the suggestion

Alan

> Stuart
>
> Thanks for the update ... however did try that and it appears the query
> takes over
> --
> Many Thanks for the suggestion
>
> Alan
>

> "Stuart McCall" wrote:
>
>> "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dave
>> >
>> > Sorry for the delay getting back to you here...
>> >
>> > I already use the Form Timer Event set to 1000 to provide a clock on
>> > the
>> > form being presented. I am seeking a way of allowing the user to load
>> > the
>> > initial form and continue to use the functions on it, while the import
>> > runs
>> > in the  background.
>> >
>> > The import code contains a number of Do Events hoever the form wont
>> > load
>> > fully first to allow the user to make use of some of the additional
>> > functionality
>> >
>> > Sorry I should have been more explicit first time round
>> >
>> > --
>> > Many Thanks Again
>> >
>> > Alan

>> PMFJI but it sounds like your form may in fact be loaded, just not
>> visible
>> yet (guessing). Try Me.Repaint

Ok, here's something to try.

Create a transparent command button on you form. Doesn't matter what you
call it. Set its caption property to &Dummy. Move the code that runs your
import into its Click event proc.

Now, make yourself an AutoExec macro if you don't already have one, and
enter two commands:
  1 OpenForm to open your form
  2 Sendkeys - Keystrokes=%D - Wait=Yes

A bit of a kludge I'm afraid, but it's worked for me in the past. The key to
this working is that the button is 'clicked' external to the form itself.

Hope it helps.

PS leave the Me.Repaint in there just in case (can't remember if it's
needed, but hey...)

0
Stuart
10/27/2007 8:12:35 PM
Stuart

Wuld yu believe ... I have called the function MyForm.visible = True and the
B@#od& thing now works as expected.

Dont know why this should matter but it does and that seems good enough for me
--
Many Thanks for your help

Regards

Alan

Dave likewise ..... very much obliged for your time

"Stuart McCall" wrote:

> "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dave
> >
> > Sorry for the delay getting back to you here...
> >
> > I already use the Form Timer Event set to 1000 to provide a clock on the
> > form being presented. I am seeking a way of allowing the user to load the
> > initial form and continue to use the functions on it, while the import
> > runs
> > in the  background.
> >
> > The import code contains a number of Do Events hoever the form wont load
> > fully first to allow the user to make use of some of the additional
> > functionality
> >
> > Sorry I should have been more explicit first time round
> >
> > --
> > Many Thanks Again
> >
> > Alan
> >

> > "Klatuu" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, there is no event that fires when the form is fully loaded, so you
> >> may
> >> need to trick it a bit by using the form's Timer event.
> >> Set the Timer Interval property in design view to something small, maybe
> >> second or two. 2000 would be 2 seconds
> >>
> >> Then in the Timer Event, run the query and set the Timer Interval to 0 so
> >> it
> >> wont' run again in the current session.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

> PMFJI but it sounds like your form may in fact be loaded, just not visible
> yet (guessing). Try Me.Repaint

> B@#od& thing now works as expected

That's the main thing. Glad you got it going.

0
Stuart
10/27/2007 11:52:28 PM
There is no reason you could not perform the import in the same timer event.
For example, lets say you want the import to begin on the second tick.  Use a
static variable in the event and base the execution of the import on that:

Private Sub Form_Timer()
Static intCtr As Inteter

    If intCtr = 2 Then
        Do your import here
    End If

    Other Stuff
    intCtr = intCtr + 1
End Sub
--

"Alan" wrote:

> Dave
>
> Sorry for the delay getting back to you here...
>
> I already use the Form Timer Event set to 1000 to provide a clock on the
> form being presented. I am seeking a way of allowing the user to load the
> initial form and continue to use the functions on it, while the import runs
> in the  background.
>
> The import code contains a number of Do Events hoever the form wont load
> fully first to allow the user to make use of some of the additional
> functionality
>
> Sorry I should have been more explicit first time round
>
> --
> Many Thanks Again
>
> Alan
>

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > Well, there is no event that fires when the form is fully loaded, so you may
> > need to trick it a bit by using the form's Timer event.
> > Set the Timer Interval property in design view to something small, maybe a
> > second or two. 2000 would be 2 seconds
> >
> > Then in the Timer Event, run the query and set the Timer Interval to 0 so it
> > wont' run again in the current session.
> >
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Alan" wrote:
> >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > > I want the query to run after the form has fully loaded. The query is a
> > > simple import
> > >
> > > --
> > > Many Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Alan

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

cannot edit record in form
Hi! Got following problem: I have a form to insert data. (= creates new records) I have another form to search existing records. When a record is found, I select and open it to edit it. Problem is that I can see everything but cannot edit it. All properties are OK (form properties and field properties) The form is linked to the table (not to query). But I tried linking it to query and got same problem. Any idea what could be happening? PS: sent previous post where I mensioned the "data entry" property, but this property is only for new record creation. Thanks! Nic Nic, I...

Run time Error '1004
I have a macro to run right before the workbook closes. It is as follows: Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.ShowAllData ActiveWorkbook.Save End Sub The top row has the autofilter on. If the data is not filtered then when the macro runs it throws a Run Time Error '1004'. If it is filtered the Macro runs fine. I can't seems to find the right code to get the macro to end if it errors out. I think it would be an if then statement but my coding skills aren't quite up the par. Any help would be great. Thanks in adva...

Problem with popup form on a single record
I have a record that has a form for a user to enter information into. If the user needs to add additional information, a popup screen (popup and modal) comes up for them to add additional information. Both forms service one record. Occasionally, and I can't seem to define it exactly, I get an error message saying that another user (I'm the only user) is trying to update the record and I have three choices: Save the information, write it to the clipboard or dump the information. The last time I saved it, I corrupted the entire database and had to start all over again. The...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Simple form, impossible to find a solution
Hi all, My quesdtion is very simple. I'd like to create and use forms in Word 2007 in the same way I used them in Word 2003. Let's have a look to my problem. I need to create, example, a table with 3 columns (example): ================================================== |Name| |Address| |phone number| ================================================== Now I wish to place text fields in each row. [Text field] [Text field] [Text field] My question: Whe...

Run Maco when workbook is first opened?
My goal: I would like to run a macro I have set up to automaticly run when the excel file is first opened each time. Is that possible? If so how? I don't know any coding so hopefully it's simple or do you know any good instructions on this? thanks in advance@ Brw Brw, The easy way (there are others). If you already have a macro created, rename it to Auto_Open. Example: Sub Macro1() to Sub Auto_Open() John "Brw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:410801c3e3c3$b656de20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My goal: I would like to run a macro I...

Format Chart Bars with code?
I have data laid out in 3 columns... date in the first, a number in the second,and a color (Green, Red, or Blue) in the next. I have a chart with floating bars and would like them to be the color of the color in column three. Can I do that with code? Is there a better way? The conditional chart technique on this web page works without any VBA: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

How to open a popup form already filtered
I have a form with a list of products. Each product has a unique product ID but could have several that have the same name and the only difference being (other then a different productID) is they are different colors. I want to double click on a product name and get a new form (popup) that looks identical to the form they just doubled clicked on but already filtered to only the records that had the same product name. Example: A form with a list of 1000 different cars. Double click on Toyato Camery and get a popup form that is a list of only 4 Toyota Camerys (each a different color). Form...

XMLDocument.Load very slow
Hallo! I want to open an XML file with a size of about 1 MB on a Windows Mobile 5 system. Loading the XML file is very slow. It takes about 6 seconds on my Pocket PC to load the XML document. Is there a chance to speed up loading the XML file? Regards, Norbert Norbert P�rringer wrote: > I want to open an XML file with a size of about 1 MB on a Windows Mobile > 5 system. Loading the XML file is very slow. It takes about 6 seconds on > my Pocket PC to load the XML document. Is there a chance to speed up > loading the XML file? It is hard to judge speed on different sy...

open and close form with one OnClick
I would like to be able to open a form by clicking a button, once that form is open and a variable is transferred, I would like to close the original form. I have tried to embed a DoCmd.Close acForm "formname", into a "OnClick" event procedure, but I still have the first form open. Need it in 2000 format. Thanks for any help! Jeff, On the close button of form1st put this code DoCmd.OpenForm "form2nd",,,,,,"value of variable" DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name Jeanette Cunningham "Jeff @ CI" <JeffCI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

why? form couldn't refresh when using split form
Dear I got a problem with split form. I am not sure if it's a bug of access 2007. I added a label in my form named "lblFEType" and a section of code like this: Private Sub Form_Current() lblFEType.Caption = IIf(isHandler(Me![PayerNo]), "Import", "Export") End Sub It totally work when I use "Record Navigator Botton"(I am sure if it's the correct call in English version). But it wouldn't work when I jump the record by clicking the datasheet part of the split form. The bindedfield works fine and the data will show correctly, but the label co...

VB CODE #3
My problem is I have some value in the first row suppose A1 has value NAME B1 has value ADDRESS C1 has value PHONE I want to write a VB code which tells .. If i try to change the value in these cells then there should be a message telling " these cells are non editable" the the old values like NAME should be retained in that cell PLz help me Why not protect the sheet with these 3 cells locked. First select all cells and unlock them (Cells>Protection and uncheck the Locked box) Select A1:C1, and lock them Then protect the sheet (Tools>Protect...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

Search within formed html doc
I am creating a formed html doc, using xml control in aspx page from xml doc using xslt transformation and want to be able to find a particular record. I would be grateful of some general guidance. Can I implant in xslt file an anchor tag <a name> </a>? ...

Print report which matches current record on open form
Hi, I have placed a button on my form which automatically prints a report based on the table I am using on the form. I would like the report to match the current record only. So if I fill out the form and hit the Print button it will print a report for only the current record - in other words, matched to the "Requisition Number" field. Thanks, Connie On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:27:37 GMT, Connie wrote: > Hi, > > I have placed a button on my form which automatically prints a report based > on the table I am using on the form. > > I would like the report to ma...

If statement and running a command as a result of that
Hi Excelleans.. Well I enjoy my job, and can figure out most things, but I a struggling again. I would like an if statement in the cell that says something like: =if(E1234="Some text",(MID,B1234,1,5),"Not relevent") and the resul put into the cell you are in. Look forward to your responses! E -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Doh - just figured it out... =if(E1234="Some text",MID(B1234,1,5),"Not relevent" -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Display Multiple User Forms
Is there a way to display two userforms simulataneously. I have an application with about 10 data entry forms. I want to creat a navigation form that would always be open that would allow the use to jump from one form to another. How can I do this? Thanks for any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you have Excel2000 or later, just create modeless forms (ShowModal property = False) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ripan >" <<Ripan.103gp7@exce...

forms #2
I have invoices that get typed out every time Use them. Is there someway to create the form in excel so I can use the computer? This would be so muck easier than typing out three copies! Hi Bob if you'ld like to email me (julied at hcts dot net dot au) direct i have a sample invoicing workbook that might suit your needs. Cheers julieD "Bob Kerr" <boblyn001@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:9Vvnd.10948$hp3.1359103@read2.cgocable.net... >I have invoices that get typed out every time Use them. Is there someway to >create the form in excel so I can use the compute...

Select Query on a subform within a form
I'm trying to use a select query to select matching information on a subform within a form, and can't seem to get it just right. An example of my query is as follows: (Select [statement date] FROM [correction letters - step 1] Where [statement date]=Forms![active cards]![statment query]!forms![statement date];) Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- Scott Presumably you have this query statement in the RecordSource of the subform? If so, omit the WHERE clause from the query statement. Instead use the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields property of the subform control...

telnet client in access form
Hello. I am trying to creat a form for work that involves connecting to a telnet server to automatically send and retreive specified data. I am new to VB and I am not sure why my code is not working... anybody help me out? Here is the code that seems to be generating the error: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) telnet.RemoteHost = "HOST" telnet.RemotePort = 23 End Sub (obviously i have replaced removed the host name since i am posting this) ...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

Error accessing control when form not open
On a form when trying to get a value from a field it displays Run-time error 2450 when the form is not open. In this case instead of displaying the error how can I get a value from a control on a different form? You can only get a value from an open form that is displaying that value. Just refer to the control on the open form: [Forms]![OtherForm]![Text1] Use DLookup to get a value from an underlying table. The form does not need to be open. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Robin9876" <robin9876@hotmail....

Windows update doesn't finish, why ??
Windows update doesn't go past "loading Windows update doesn't go past 1 of 15" It stays there doing nothing. What do i do?? Provide more details on your system. Operating System. Service Pack Level. Architecture (32 or 64 bit.) Last time you installed updates (15 at once?) successfully. What happens if you boot into Safe Mode. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html "Jim C." <Jim C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A59395EB-E564-41F1-9A3...

CODE: 0x800CCC79
Messages won't transmit. I receive the following: Account: 'pop-server.satx.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.satx.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 To fix this problem: - Open Outlook Express, and click *Tools* - Then click on *Accounts* - Then click on your Tiscali connection and click *Properties* - Then click *Advanced* - On this screen remove the checks from the boxes *This server requires a secure connection* for both *Outgoi...