FindFirst question

hello
When using code to find a table record that matches a given value, does the
'FindFirst' need to be preceded by 'MoveFirst'?   should the code read as...

Dim...
......etc
Set rs = Me.recordset.Clone
rs.FindFirst strSearch

or...

Dim...
......etc
Set rs = Me.recordset.Clone
rs.MoveFirst
rs.FindFirst strSearch

 When studying code samples in this site and others, I've seen it done both
ways.  Things seem to work fine without the MoveFirst, but maybe I'm just
getting lucky.  Is MoveFirst needed?  Why/Why not?

thanks in advance
Terry W.

"terry w" <terryw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello
> When using code to find a table record that matches a given value, does
> the
> 'FindFirst' need to be preceded by 'MoveFirst'?   should the code read
> as...
>
> Dim...
> .....etc
> Set rs = Me.recordset.Clone
> rs.FindFirst strSearch
>
> or...
>
> Dim...
> .....etc
> Set rs = Me.recordset.Clone
> rs.MoveFirst
> rs.FindFirst strSearch
>
> When studying code samples in this site and others, I've seen it done both
> ways.  Things seem to work fine without the MoveFirst, but maybe I'm just
> getting lucky.  Is MoveFirst needed?  Why/Why not?

The .MoveFirst is not needed, since the .FindFirst method always starts at
the beginning of the recordset.

Note that, if you're working in an .mdb or .accdb file, and not an .adp
(Access Data Project), the form's RecordsetClone property is better for this
sort of thing; e.g.:

    With Me.RecordsetClone
        .FindFirst strSearch
        If Not .NoMatch Then
            Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark
        End If
    End With

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
2/10/2010 6:02:50 PM
Dirk: thanks for a quick response.

a) If I use the form's recordset property as you suggest, does this mean
there is no need to use a statement like my current  'Set rs =
Me.Recordset.Clone'?  Also, is there still a need for any statements to
replace my current statements  'rs.close'  or  'Set rs = Nothing'?   I'm just
puzzled because I see these used in so many examples from this site.

b) You mention that if using .mdb (I am),  "...the form's RecordsetClone
property is better for this sort of thing."  For my own understanding of the
situation, can you tell me why it is better?

Much thanks
Terry W.

> Dirk: thanks for a quick response.
>
> a) If I use the form's recordset property as you suggest,

Actually, I said to use the RecordsetClone property, not the Recordset
property.  In recent versions of Access, you can also use the Recordset
property for this sort of thing, but I wasn't talking about that.

> does this mean
> there is no need to use a statement like my current  'Set rs =
> Me.Recordset.Clone'?

Yes, there is no need to define and set a separate recordset object.

> Also, is there still a need for any statements to
> replace my current statements  'rs.close'  or  'Set rs = Nothing'?   I'm
> just
> puzzled because I see these used in so many examples from this site.

No, there is no need for those statements.  In the code I posted, the With
statement creates the reference to the RecordsetClone, so you don't need to
Dim a Recordset object;  you don't need to (and shouldn't) close the
RecordsetClone; and the scope of the With statement defines the lifetime of
the procedure's reference to the recordset, so there's no object variable
that needs to be set to Nothing.

You *could* accomplish the same thing using an object variable, but still
using the form's RecordsetClone property rather than creating a fresh clone
of the form's recordset:

'------ start of alternate code ------
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

    Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone

    rs.FindFirst strSearch
    If Not rs.NoMatch Then
        Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
    End If

    Set rs = Nothing
'------ end of alternate code ------

But there's no reason, in my view, to use the extra code.

> b) You mention that if using .mdb (I am),  "...the form's RecordsetClone
> property is better for this sort of thing."  For my own understanding of
> the
> situation, can you tell me why it is better?

It's better because the RecordsetClone property returns a reference to a
hidden clone of the form's recordset that is created the first time you
refer to the property, and then remains in existence for as long as the form
is open.  Thus, the clone is created the first time you use it, and the
overhead of creating the clone is incurred only once during the lifetime of
the form instance.  If your code explicitly clones the recordset (as
originally written: "Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone"), then that overhead will
be incurred every time the code is called.

The code you so often see, using "Me.Recordset.Clone", is the code that the
wizards in Access 2000-2003 (if not 2007) build for finding records.  I
believe they introduced that specifically for ADP support (ADPs use ADO
recordsets, not DAO recordsets), but I'm not sure why they felt the need to,
and other parts of the wizard code are just plain wrong.

Some people do feel the need to declare an object variable for every object
they intend to manipulate, but I don't see the point when a well-chosen With
statement will do the job, and usually be more efficient, too.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
2/10/2010 9:54:54 PM
Dirk: thanks again for a very thorough and comprehensive answer.  For
learning programmers like me, you've given us a lot to chew on!

Terry W.

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> [...]
> overhead of creating the clone is incurred only once during the lifetime of
> the form instance.  If your code explicitly clones the recordset (as
> originally written: "Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone"), then that overhead will
> be incurred every time the code is called.
>
> The code you so often see, using "Me.Recordset.Clone", is the code that the
> wizards in Access 2000-2003 (if not 2007) build for finding records.  I
> believe they introduced that specifically for ADP support (ADPs use ADO
> recordsets, not DAO recordsets), but I'm not sure why they felt the need to,
> and other parts of the wizard code are just plain wrong.
>
> Some people do feel the need to declare an object variable for every object
> they intend to manipulate, but I don't see the point when a well-chosen With
> statement will do the job, and usually be more efficient, too.

Dirk - one final concern.  I like the fact that the first use of the
RecordsetClone Property creates a reference to the RecordsetClone that stays
'alive' as long as the form is open (as opposed to creating a new reference
each time the Sub is used).  But, if the Form's recordset changes between
uses of the Sub, does the RecordsetClone automatically reflect these changes,
or does it need to be refreshed somehow.  I hope this is clear.

Thanks in advance
Terry W.

> Dirk - one final concern.  I like the fact that the first use of the
> RecordsetClone Property creates a reference to the RecordsetClone that
> stays
> 'alive' as long as the form is open (as opposed to creating a new
> reference
> each time the Sub is used).  But, if the Form's recordset changes between
> uses of the Sub, does the RecordsetClone automatically reflect these
> changes,
> or does it need to be refreshed somehow.  I hope this is clear.

If the form's recordset is updated, the RecordsetClone reflects those
updates.  If the form's recordset is replaced, as by requerying or filtering
the recordset, a new RecordsetClone will be generated the next time the
property is accessed.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk

Another Question regarding Multiple Criteria
My apologies if I have repeated myself. As I thought I may have closed off the question yesterday. Hi Following on from this and thank you for your help, is there a way that this will select in col D all characters except 1 or 2 (eg I would like to accept everthing except A) Thanks Anne "T. Valko" wrote: > Try this... > > If column N contains numbers only (or possibly empty cells) > > =SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B10="QN"),--(C2:C10="IM"),--(D2:D10="R"),--(N2:N10<>0)) > > Better to use cells to hold the c...

badmail folder question
Dear, I found out that around 2 weeks, my Exchange's badmail folder contin 6000 + file. And this caused my store.exe ate a lot of memory and the proformance is very wrost. As wrost as POP3 is nearing dis-ability. Once I delete all file in badmail folder I got back normal. Is there any document on the web about badmail folder or I configure the Exchange delete and don't keep the badmail folder? Thanks!! -david "Cat bite" <Cat_bite@catz.kingdom> wrote: > I found out that around 2 weeks, my Exchange's badmail folder contin >6000 + file. If ...

CDaoRecordset::FindFirst() usage
As a novice on database, I am trying to use CDaoRecordset::FindFirst() function just to check if certain 'Serial Number' exists in other table but it throws following error: Error(3077): Syntax error (missing operator) in expression. Please see following code: .... ASSERT(m_pDB->IsOpen()); CDaoTableDef td(m_pDB); CDaoRecordset rs(m_pDB); // convert serial number string to long number char *end; long UnitNum=lstrtol(GetSerialNum(),&end,10); BOOL faulty = FALSE; try { td.Open((LPCTSTR)(_T("Table 1"))); } catch (CDaoException* e) { m_pView->DisplayD...

CString.Find() Question
Hi guys, "The character at nStart is excluded from the search if nStart is not equal to 0." That means you can't search starting at and including index 1 ? If you set it to 0 it includes 0 but if you set it to 1 it starts at 2. Is that right ? Thanks, Robert That's "zero-based indexing": 0 is the first position, 1 is the second. If you're not starting from the first position, you're excluding characters from the search. Brett. "Robert A." <satan@invalid.org> wrote in message news:OyPfwioBFHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi guys...

CRM licensing question...
I bought a sales module and 5 sales pro user. Now i want to add 5 service user. Should i buy a service module, 5 service pro user and add them to the my sales module? Or should i buy suite modul and install CRM from the beginning? Another question: if some user have sales and service licensing does he have the same functionality like user whith suit licensing? Best regards Luck If you only want them to have access to the service module then just buy the service license, you can add these through the deployment manager. No need for a fresh install. If a user has both sales and service t...

Password question
How to avoid having to enter password each time opening WLM? Thanks John Tools | Accounts | Mail Account | Servers. Type in the password and check the Remember Password box. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eSHXUnEyKHA.5132@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How to avoid having to enter password each time opening WLM? > Thanks John Are you talking about the initial prompt for Sign-in? Go to Tools, Options, Connections, "Stop signing in". If you d...

SPF record question
Hello! I think I understand SPF records now (thanks to Jim Martin in another group), but I would like to know if anyone can confirm my questions. I found this page http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html that lets one test an SPF record. It does not test version 2 yet. Let's call my domain "mydomain.net" and assume that my mail server is named "mail.mydomain.net." I have my DNS controlled by www.zoneedit.com and I have a backup mail server there to grab any mail if my server is not answering. When I use www.dnsreport.com to check my domain, it shows two MX re...

Crosstab Query Questions
Hey everyone, I've created a crosstab query. My Row heading is CourseName. My Column Heading is County. I have 10 countes in which I'm interested in. And 6 different courses. I am running a monthly report. Not all courses run in each county each month. So in my Value field in my Crosstab Query, I have it set to Expr1: CLng(Nz(Avg([tblCourses]![StartDate]-[tblCourses]![Date Approved]),0)) And I want the Average of these numbers so I'm using the AVG function in the total. When I run the query, it catches the data I want and it calculate the average. However, ...

Question about hyperlinks
What I am trying to do is, through the use of a form and the base url of the company website concatenate the prisoners number [PNumber] field and the base URL of the website. The base URL is as follows - http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= The prisoner information is entered into the database via a text file and a macro using the transfertext method. Unfortunately, the website link is not available in the text file. I have tried two different approaches and neither seem to work. In my table I have the following fields, [PrisonerURL] & [PNumber]. One sce...

Question on a bad URL
In Money 2004, I have an account setup with Capitol One. When I'm looking at that account and select "Go to Capitol One" -> "Go to Capitol One Financial Corp web site", the web site (or URL) it tries to use is wrong. Is there a way to update the URL and if so, how? Thanks in advance, Christopher In microsoft.public.money, Christoher wrote: >In Money 2004, I have an account setup with Capitol One. >When I'm looking at that account and select "Go to >Capitol One" -> "Go to Capitol One Financial Corp web >site", the web s...

Question about threads and Events
Okay, I almost have my serial port thread working the way I would like, however there is one instance where my thread will fail to do what I would like (or expect) and I guess I'm going to need help fixing it. Essentially this is how my thread is written: UINT zworldThread(LPVOID p) { SerialObject * myZworldObject = (SerialObject *)p; DWORD bytesRead=0; DWORD bytesWrite=0; ExternalHUDStream * myString = new ExternalHUDStream; DWORD bytesNeeded=sizeof(ExternalHUDStream);; LPBYTE streamptr = (LPBYTE)myString; HANDLE m_hSerialComm = CreateFile("COM2", ...

findfirst
I have a form with 6 fields on it, some text boxes and some combo boxes. The first box is a combo box of names. The second box is the person's ID number. I have set up a findfirst method so that when you select a name from the first box, the id for that person shows in the second box (if that person is in the list). The rest of the boxes on the form are more info on that person. I want those fields to fill in as well as the ID field when I select the name from the first box. I can't seem to figure out the code. I keep getting the id number in all the fields after I select the na...

A couple of newbie xsl conversion of xml to html questions (C#/.Net)
I have some xml data that I want to turn into an html report. I wrote some xsl (my first xsl) and tested it in XMLSpy. It transformed my xml to html pretty much how I wanted (I'm still trying to understand table formatting, like table width in xsl, my tables aren't as wide as I'm specifying). I want to use this transform in my c#/winforms/.net application I loaded some sample xml using XmlDocument Created an XPathNavigaor Loaded the xsl into XslTransform and used a XmlTextWriter along with XslTranform to write the html I have a handful of newbie questions a. The resulting htm...

Question about CListCtrl/CImageList icon colors
I've imported an icon into the project that has 256 colors. I'm using the icon as an image in a list control. The image is displayed either monochrome or grayscale. Is there a way to get the full color in the list control? thanks mike wrote: > I've imported an icon into the project that has 256 colors. I'm using the > icon as an image in a list control. The image is displayed either monochrome > or grayscale. Is there a way to get the full color in the list control? > thanks > > How did you created your CImageList? Did you passed a ILC_COLOR8 param...

Smarlist Questions
Hi All Does anyone know of a way to display the notes field in a smartlist? What i need is to have the text typed in the Notes (The OLE note) displayed in a smartlist. I have smartlist builder but I can figure out a way to link the two. Thanks Fliehigh Do you mean the record-level note? If so, link the NOTEINDX field in the appropriate master record to the same field in the SY03900 table and display the TXTFIELD column. An interesting feature of SmartList is that, although the note may only display one line on the screen, if you roll your cursor over it the entire note will pop up i...

Pie Chart Question
Hi All, I have a pie chart where I want to show values on the chart, but the values blend together on the small slices and look a mess. Is there any way to not show the data values when they are less that a certain proportion of the whole chart? Or any other way of doing the same? Thanks for any help. Bill. Hi, 1. Select the data labels and choose Format, Selected Data Labels 2. Activate the Number tab and choose Custom. 3. Enter the following custom format to the Type box [>60]0.00;; Adjust the >60 as needed it means that all values 60 and below will not display. -- If thi...

Findfirst type mismatch error
So I'm stumped I have two fields that are able to have duplicates in them but combined will not so I need to do my search criteria to include both of them Private Sub Command3_Click() Dim MyRst As DAO.Recordset Dim InputString As String Dim acn2 As String InputString = find acn2 = accountnumber2 Set MyRst = Me.RecordsetClone MyRst.FindFirst "[InvNum] = " & (InputString) And "[AccountNumber] = " & Me![accountnumber2] If MyRst.NoMatch Then MsgBox ("No Data with this ID found") Else Me.Bookmark = MyRst.Bookmark End If MyRst.Close Set MyRst = Nothing ...

Quick Question #5
Hello All: It seems to be a debated question as to whether to have yur mail server residing in your DMZ or on the LAN with a static mapping out. My question is, how to handle domain authentication through firewall....dmz to lan.....what ports are required? NT4.0 domain. Thanks I dont think its much of a debate. The mail server belongs on the internal lan. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:45:08 -0500, "DOUG" <NONE> wrote: >Hello All: > >It seems to be a debated question as to whether to have yur mail server >residing in your DMZ or on the LAN with a static mapping out....

findfirst() findnext()
how to recurse through the directories and list the files names of all init any sample code or app? -- Thanks, Arvind Here is an example of how to use MFC's CFileFinder class which encapsulates the findfirst and findnext methods. Anyway the concept is the same. int NumberOfFiles(CString strDir) { int nFiles = 0; CFileFind finder; BOOL bWorking = finder.FindFile(strDir+"\\*.*"); while(bWorking) { YeildToOthers(); bWorking = finder.FindNextFile(); if(!finder.IsDots()) { if(!finder.IsDirectory()) { nFiles...

backup question
I have a server that I need to temporarily use a external drive for backup. Do I need to change the drive from fat32 to ntfs for the backup to work correctly? SBS 2003 backup program. thanks Bob Hi Bob: If you plan to backup more than 4 GB, you need NTFS. Why temporary? What have you been using? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > I have a server that I need to temporarily use a external drive for > backup. Do I need to change the drive from fat32 to ntfs for the > back...

Basic formula questions
I have a field that contains monthly gross income. From this, I want to add some formulas beneath it that figures out: 1.) what 8% of the monthly gross income is 2.) what 1.4% of the monthly gross income is 3.) what the remaining monthly gross income is after these deductions Thanks! One way (with the original monthly income in A1): Put this in B1: =8%*a1 Put this in C1: =1.4%*a1 And put this in D1: =a1-b1-c1 On 12/07/2010 11:55, kat h wrote: > I have a field that contains monthly gross income. From this, I want > to add some formulas beneath it that figures out: > > 1.) w...

Internet Emails flow question...
Hi all, I just started working on the following environment: Exchange 2003 SP2 FE and BE Servers... During the review I found that incoming Internet emails get forwarded from the third party anti-spam servers directly to BE Exchange (bypassing FE)... I think this is strange... My question is: What do you think about following inbound Internet mail flow: Internet ->Anti-Spam servers -> BE Exchange Servers? Am I right thinking that the proper flow should be: Internet ->Anti-Spam->FE->BE? Thanks in advance, Victor There would not appear to be any need to go through the FE se...

peltiertech question
I'm attempting to create colored vertical bands on a chart using directions from peltiertech. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredVerticalBand.html I can't get multiple bands (the last step at bottom of the webpage). I end up getting what looks like steps- I can't get them to extend the whole length of the graph. Any ideas? Thanks, AL What's the data look like? How are the steps oriented? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Brighella wrote: > I'...

Calendar Archive Questions
I have more than 10 years of data in my Outlook calendar which makes it very large. I sneakerware the whole calendar from office to home on a regular basis so that both are up to date. I would like to archive, say five years, on a one time basis so that I didn't have to carry that portion but could access it at any time from either computer. I would just carry the more recent data. Could someone explain how do to a "one time" archive of a calendar. I am somewhat confused by the information in the help file and don't want to lose data. Thank you. In news:u...

question
Is it possible to create Internet Account Files (IAF) automaticly, based on an SQL database for example? So you don't have to setup the accounts manually? The question came up when I, owner of a hostingcompany, had problems with a client that wasn't capable to set up Outlook...? ...