findfirst problem

Hi all,

I have this piece of code which gives me an error : 3072 unknown function
name when I execute    rst2.FindFirst cKey.
In immediate mode my cKey seems to be correct.

Sub UpdateCustomer()
Dim cCustomer As String, cNameCustomer  As String, cKey As String
Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As Recordset, rst2 As Recordset, wsp As Workspace
Set wsp = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rst2 = db.OpenRecordset("Customers", dbOpenSnapshot, dbReadOnly)
rst2.MoveLast: rst2.MoveFirst
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("MyOtherTable", dbOpenDynaset)
rst.MoveLast: rst.MoveFirst
Do While Not rst.EOF
    cCustomer = Left$(rst.Fields("Customer"), 8)
    cKey = "Left$(rst2.Fields(" "Customer" "), 8) = " " " & cCustomer & " "
" "
    rst2.FindFirst cKey
…
Loop
rst2.Close
rst.Close
Set rst2 = Nothing: Set rst = Nothing
End Sub

Where do I go wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

W pretended :
> Hi all,
>
> I have this piece of code which gives me an error : 3072 unknown
> function  name when I execute    rst2.FindFirst cKey.
> In immediate mode my cKey seems to be correct.
>

> Sub UpdateCustomer()
> Dim cCustomer As String, cNameCustomer  As String, cKey As String
> Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As Recordset, rst2 As Recordset, wsp As
> Workspace Set wsp = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
> Set db = CurrentDb
> Set rst2 = db.OpenRecordset("Customers", dbOpenSnapshot, dbReadOnly)
> rst2.MoveLast: rst2.MoveFirst
> Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("MyOtherTable", dbOpenDynaset)
> rst.MoveLast: rst.MoveFirst
> Do While Not rst.EOF
>     cCustomer = Left$(rst.Fields("Customer"), 8)
>     cKey = "Left$(rst2.Fields(" "Customer" "), 8) = " " " & cCustomer
> & " "  " "
>     rst2.FindFirst cKey
> …
> Loop
> rst2.Close
> rst.Close
> Set rst2 = Nothing: Set rst = Nothing
> End Sub
>
> Where do I go wrong ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Would it make any difference if you qualified the declarations?

Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As DAO.Recordset, rst2 As DAO.Recordset...

--
Roy-Vidar

0
RoyVidar
1/9/2008 10:41:29 AM
Hi mr Vidar,

I've never done like that and I do not think it would help.  Moreover I
already tried former version of this code, which worked out fine, but I
forgot to save it and since then I do not find the correct syntax (which I
think is in the definition of cKey).

Thanks for your suggestion anyhow; I'll give it a try.

W wrote:
>I have this piece of code which gives me an error : 3072 unknown function
>name when I execute    rst2.FindFirst cKey.
>In immediate mode my cKey seems to be correct.
>
>Sub UpdateCustomer()
>Dim cCustomer As String, cNameCustomer  As String, cKey As String
>Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As Recordset, rst2 As Recordset, wsp As Workspace
>Set wsp = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
>Set db = CurrentDb
>Set rst2 = db.OpenRecordset("Customers", dbOpenSnapshot, dbReadOnly)
>rst2.MoveLast: rst2.MoveFirst
>Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("MyOtherTable", dbOpenDynaset)
>rst.MoveLast: rst.MoveFirst
>Do While Not rst.EOF
>    cCustomer = Left$(rst.Fields("Customer"), 8)
>    cKey = "Left$(rst2.Fields(" "Customer" "), 8) = " " " & cCustomer & " "
>" "
>    rst2.FindFirst cKey
>�
>Loop

It would help if you had posted what you thought was correct
in the immediate window.  Either that was not correct or you
did not post the same code you used.

You have extra spaces all over the place and an incorrect
field reference.  Try changing to:

cKey = "Left$(Customer, 8) = """ & cCustomer & """"

Note that those MoveLast:MoveFirst lines are not doing
anything but wasting time.  You are also declaring and
setting a workspace variable, but you never use it.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
> Hi mr Vidar,
>
> I've never done like that and I do not think it would help.  Moreover
> I  already tried former version of this code, which worked out fine,
> but I  forgot to save it and since then I do not find the correct
> syntax (which I  think is in the definition of cKey).
>
> Thanks for your suggestion anyhow; I'll give it a try.

> "RoyVidar" wrote:
>
>> W pretended :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have this piece of code which gives me an error : 3072 unknown
>>> function  name when I execute    rst2.FindFirst cKey.
>>> In immediate mode my cKey seems to be correct.
>>>

>>> Sub UpdateCustomer()
>>> Dim cCustomer As String, cNameCustomer  As String, cKey As String
>>> Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As Recordset, rst2 As Recordset, wsp As
>>> Workspace Set wsp = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
>>> Set db = CurrentDb
>>> Set rst2 = db.OpenRecordset("Customers", dbOpenSnapshot,
>>> dbReadOnly) rst2.MoveLast: rst2.MoveFirst
>>> Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("MyOtherTable", dbOpenDynaset)
>>> rst.MoveLast: rst.MoveFirst
>>> Do While Not rst.EOF
>>>     cCustomer = Left$(rst.Fields("Customer"), 8)
>>>     cKey = "Left$(rst2.Fields(" "Customer" "), 8) = " " " &
>>> cCustomer  & " "  " "
>>>     rst2.FindFirst cKey
>>> …
>>> Loop
>>> rst2.Close
>>> rst.Close
>>> Set rst2 = Nothing: Set rst = Nothing
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Where do I go wrong ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,

>> Would it make any difference if you qualified the declarations?
>>
>> Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As DAO.Recordset, rst2 As
>> DAO.Recordset...
>>
>> --
>> Roy-Vidar

Ah, yes, sorry.

The criterion for the .FindFirst will probably need to include the
field name of the field you wish to search on

    cCustomer = Left$(rst.Fields("Customer"), 8)
    cKey = "Left(Customer), 8) = '" & cCustomer & "'"

The latter can probably be written like this

    cKey = "Left(Customer), 8) = """ & cCustomer & """"

if there's a chance it can contain a single quote.

Explicit declaration, as I suggested first, is  probably not part of
this challenge, but it is not uncommon to have a reference to both
ADO and DAO. Both of these have a recordset object. Without any
qualification, Access will pick the one "higher" up in the reference
list. This can/will fail. I find it safer to be explicit.

--
Roy-Vidar

0
RoyVidar
1/9/2008 4:12:09 PM
Thanks for your answer.

I put those extra spaces for better visibility.
When I use the snippet of code both of you sent me I keep on getting te same
error.

In direct mode I get :

debug.print cKey :

left$(Customer) = "00000000"
00000000 being the first key of that table

there are no more parenthesis around this function, so the result of the
debug.print is like you see it

The error subsists however, so I got stuck.

I removed the movefirst and movelast; I thought they were necessary.

> It would help if you had posted what you thought was correct
> in the immediate window.  Either that was not correct or you
> did not post the same code you used.
>
> You have extra spaces all over the place and an incorrect
> field reference.  Try changing to:
>
> cKey = "Left$(Customer, 8) = """ & cCustomer & """"
>
> Note that those MoveLast:MoveFirst lines are not doing
> anything but wasting time.  You are also declaring and
> setting a workspace variable, but you never use it.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

How about :

cKey ="[Customer] Like '" & cCustomer  & "*'"

"W" <W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have this piece of code which gives me an error : 3072 unknown function
> name when I execute    rst2.FindFirst cKey.
> In immediate mode my cKey seems to be correct.
>

> Sub UpdateCustomer()
> Dim cCustomer As String, cNameCustomer  As String, cKey As String
> Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As Recordset, rst2 As Recordset, wsp As
Workspace
> Set wsp = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
> Set db = CurrentDb
> Set rst2 = db.OpenRecordset("Customers", dbOpenSnapshot, dbReadOnly)
> rst2.MoveLast: rst2.MoveFirst
> Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("MyOtherTable", dbOpenDynaset)
> rst.MoveLast: rst.MoveFirst
> Do While Not rst.EOF
>     cCustomer = Left$(rst.Fields("Customer"), 8)
>     cKey = "Left$(rst2.Fields(" "Customer" "), 8) = " " " & cCustomer & "
"
> " "
>     rst2.FindFirst cKey
> .
> Loop
> rst2.Close
> rst.Close
> Set rst2 = Nothing: Set rst = Nothing
> End Sub
>
> Where do I go wrong ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Powderfinger
1/9/2008 11:24:20 PM
In the future, be sure to post a Copy/Paste of relevant
line(s) of code along with the result.

Somewhere along the way you lost the 8 in the Left function.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

W wrote:
>I put those extra spaces for better visibility.
>When I use the snippet of code both of you sent me I keep on getting te same
>error.
>
>In direct mode I get :
>
>debug.print cKey :
>
>left$(Customer) = "00000000"
>00000000 being the first key of that table
>
>there are no more parenthesis around this function, so the result of the
>debug.print is like you see it
>
>The error subsists however, so I got stuck.
>
>I removed the movefirst and movelast; I thought they were necessary.

>> It would help if you had posted what you thought was correct
>> in the immediate window.  Either that was not correct or you
>> did not post the same code you used.
>>
>> You have extra spaces all over the place and an incorrect
>> field reference.  Try changing to:
>>
>> cKey = "Left$(Customer, 8) = """ & cCustomer & """"
>>
>> Note that those MoveLast:MoveFirst lines are not doing
>> anything but wasting time.  You are also declaring and
>> setting a workspace variable, but you never use it.
0
Marshall
1/10/2008 12:29:45 AM
I lost the 8, but then of course I retyped what I had on the screen.
I have no answer to my problem though.  I keep getting the same error,
namely :

3072 unknown function name.

I checked my references, which seem to be OK.

I think it has something to do with the syntax, maybe the quotes ?

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> In the future, be sure to post a Copy/Paste of relevant
> line(s) of code along with the result.
>
> Somewhere along the way you lost the 8 in the Left function.
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

I thought

rst.fields("Customer") was correct syntax ?

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> It would help if you had posted what you thought was correct
> in the immediate window.  Either that was not correct or you
> did not post the same code you used.
>
> You have extra spaces all over the place and an incorrect
> field reference.  Try changing to:
>
> cKey = "Left$(Customer, 8) = """ & cCustomer & """"
>
> Note that those MoveLast:MoveFirst lines are not doing
> anything but wasting time.  You are also declaring and
> setting a workspace variable, but you never use it.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

Don't retype when Copy/Paste can be used.  Neither one of us
wants to waste time going back and forth debugging typos
when we could be working on the real problem.

I still need to see a Copy/Paste of the relevant lines of
code.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

W wrote:
>I lost the 8, but then of course I retyped what I had on the screen.
>I have no answer to my problem though.  I keep getting the same error,
>namely :
>
>3072 unknown function name.
>
>I checked my references, which seem to be OK.
>
>I think it has something to do with the syntax, maybe the quotes ?
>

>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>
>> In the future, be sure to post a Copy/Paste of relevant
>> line(s) of code along with the result.
>>
>> Somewhere along the way you lost the 8 in the Left function.
0
Marshall
1/10/2008 3:10:26 PM
I eventually decided to add an extra field in which I put the left$(Customer,
8) of the particular key field.  I then did a findfirst on this field and all
went smooth.  So, IMHO, the problem resides in the syntax or the call of the
left$ function.

Thanks for your helping hand anyhow.

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> Don't retype when Copy/Paste can be used.  Neither one of us
> wants to waste time going back and forth debugging typos
> when we could be working on the real problem.
>
> I still need to see a Copy/Paste of the relevant lines of
> code.
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
>

> W wrote:
> >I lost the 8, but then of course I retyped what I had on the screen.
> >I have no answer to my problem though.  I keep getting the same error,
> >namely :
> >
> >3072 unknown function name.
> >
> >I checked my references, which seem to be OK.
> >
> >I think it has something to do with the syntax, maybe the quotes ?
> >

> >"Marshall Barton" wrote:
> >
> >> In the future, be sure to post a Copy/Paste of relevant
> >> line(s) of code along with the result.
> >>
> >> Somewhere along the way you lost the 8 in the Left function.

CDaoRecordset::FindFirst() usage
As a novice on database, I am trying to use CDaoRecordset::FindFirst() function just to check if certain 'Serial Number' exists in other table but it throws following error: Error(3077): Syntax error (missing operator) in expression. Please see following code: .... ASSERT(m_pDB->IsOpen()); CDaoTableDef td(m_pDB); CDaoRecordset rs(m_pDB); // convert serial number string to long number char *end; long UnitNum=lstrtol(GetSerialNum(),&end,10); BOOL faulty = FALSE; try { td.Open((LPCTSTR)(_T("Table 1"))); } catch (CDaoException* e) { m_pView->DisplayD...

Office 2000 OSB Problem
Multiple times daily I am presented a error window indicating a component error in Office 2000 that wipes out my Desktop presentation which displays my buttons across the top width of my monitor; have no use for a Desktop display spread all over the monitor screen. Within a max of 1 - 2 secs the OSB disappears. I can regenerate it from a Quick Launch icon set up to 'get back' my bar. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I'm a non-tech user and would like to resolve the problem if possible. Suggestions? Thanks Hi E/B, Have you tried repairing your Offi...

Trendline Formula Problems
I am trying to fit a non-linear formula to a set of data in Excel 2007. I use the trendline feature and have selected several different formulas. On my chart, the trendline matches my data very well. But, the formula that is displayed does not mathematically fit my data at all. When I place in my variables into the formula Excel provided, my predicted values are way off the chart. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? 1. Use a scientific number format with lots of places (15) to make sure you see all digits of the calculated trendline. 2. Make sure it's an XY chart, not...

Network problem
My LAN (Workgroup) has been Working OK for years Now when trying to access the Network through Windows Explorer I get : "Not accessible, you might not have permission to use the network resource" "Not enough server storage to process this request" (This message pops up on any PC/Laptop that I try to access the workgroup from) The "network locations" column shows my PC as "LAN, but the others as "Internet" The only thing I can think may have stuffed things was an attempt to access a mobile phone using Bluetooth that I abandoned when...

Problem with .rc files in VS 2005
I have several projects that were created with VS 2003. These are MFC based applications with .RC files that contain localized strings. Some of these strings are Japanese, Korean, and Chinese encoded in MBCS. These projects work fine in VS 2003. I converted these projects to compile with VS 2005 and if I bring up the resource editor to view or modify the string resources, VS 2005 will modify the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese strings. It will replace the characters with all "?" question marks. Is there some setting that I need to set to prevent VS from modifying my string...

sound problem
a few months ago i installed xp on my dell 2650 it stuck at 33 min but i finally got it to install but i ended up with a new problem my sound driver freezes my computer so i had to go into safe mode and disable the sound driver and the modem both are dells latest drivers i tried other drivers but get the same results. so when i boot up my computer it freezes in the black part of the screen. any suggestions -- danielamay ------------------------------------------------------------------------ danielamay's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/238840.htm View this t...

outbox problem?
When I send a message I get double messages in my outbox. One with an envelope and one with an envelope and a letter open icons. I send the mail the envelope one goes to the sent file but the other one stays in my outbox. What's wrong? outlook 2002 Probably you can try creating a new profile and see if the sam behaviour exists there ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Strange Spelling problem
Outlook 2002 on Windows XP with Word 2002 as Email Editor In Word, default dictionary is UK English. In Outlook, Options-Spelling-Default Dictionary is set to UK English. WHY then, when I spell-check an Email, does it use the USA dictionary by default????????? Have you tried "repairing" your installation? Also, when you are in Word and you spell check what does it use (US or UK)? What is your default dictionary in Word? Ty >-----Original Message----- >Outlook 2002 on Windows XP with Word 2002 as Email Editor >In Word, default dictionary is UK English. In Outlook, &g...

Problems with TabControl
Hi there, I have a little Problem with a Tab-Control. I add a TabControl to my main Dialog and Create two new Dialogs (one for each page of the TabControl). Then I initialize the two other Dialogs with the TabControl as parent (I also tried to use the main Dialog as parent). It works fine. When I switch the active Tab, I also make the correct Dailog visible. But when I use the Tab-Key on my keyboard, the focus won't stop at the Controls of my Dialog showed by the TabPage. I hope you know that I mean. What can I do? Maybe I make something wrong. Is there anywhere a good tutorial fo...

Problem loading program
Hi. I am trying the downloaded version. Sometimes I open the program with the web option, the program hangs after the progress button moves 3 or 4 spots to the right. The only way I can shut it down is using the Task manager to end program. It opens OK if I choose not to use the online services and then, when I want to download, I get the box to open the web option and it works just fine. Any suggestions? ...

Problem with Event Management Accelerator
I have installed Event Management Accelerator successfully on a test environment. I have created a campaign in CRM and I can see the Event in Sample Web Portal. When I click on the Register Button, the Registration form opens up. However after filling out the form, by clicking "Submit" button, I get an error message as "Date Invalid" for the current date. As a result, I am not able to create the Campaign Response record in CRM from the web portal. I have all the CRM date formats set as English Australia and my computer has also the same date format. Can someone put me in...

More problems with my messages missing
I'd like to revisit an earlier thread (which will have scrolled off your screen by now). Messages I post to usenet newsgroups using WLM are sometimes not appearing when I view the thread. This problem is intermittent: most of my posts show up, but some don't. I've switched off the "community support features", I've unchecked the "Get n headers at a time" option, and I've tried quitting and restarting WLM. My missing post is showing in the 'Sent items' folder, and I can see it using Google Groups. The icon of the post to which...

OL2007/Vista send problem
I have a problem sending email from OL2007, it is intermittent and only seems to be to selected email addys, although I cannot figure out why it sends to some and not to others. When attempting to send to some addys the send/receive goes absolutely crazy, with the number of tasks constantly increasing. The email does not send, and I have to close outlook and wait for 30secs for it to close itself down without sending the emails. Any suggestions as to why this is happening/how to fix it will be gratefully received!! ...

findfirst
I have a form with 6 fields on it, some text boxes and some combo boxes. The first box is a combo box of names. The second box is the person's ID number. I have set up a findfirst method so that when you select a name from the first box, the id for that person shows in the second box (if that person is in the list). The rest of the boxes on the form are more info on that person. I want those fields to fill in as well as the ID field when I select the name from the first box. I can't seem to figure out the code. I keep getting the id number in all the fields after I select the na...

Subreport problem
I have a report with a subreport. I would like that the subreport is not shown if there is no data to show. I am trying to do this with creating a code on the OnActivate event of the main report – without any luck, because I have not the slightest idea how to continue. This is what I thought is correct so far (can someone tell me how it should be correct? If Me![deporesponsable].Report.HasData = False Then ……… No idea how to continue Thanks for any help Klaus Klaus, you don't need code for this. If there is no data to show in the subreport, nothing shows. -- Allen Browne - Mic...

IF(ISNUMBER.... problem
I can't seem to figure this one out. I am trying to make either a checkmark, someones intials or a check box (reall doesn't matter which but check mark would be best) appear in a cell when three other cells in that same form contain data. The cells that need to be searched woutl only contain dates but the accutall date entered is irrelevant to the check box so I would assume that it only needs to search for generic data. The dates are entered as 05/01/06. Using online help I have been trying and trying with "=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("/",AND (G5,H5,I5))),"checkmark...

sales Tax Problem Help!
Hi i Justa changed the Sales Tax on Store Manager using administrator user and pasword , then item by item Aplied sales Tax on each when i use the pos with tailer User and Password tax do not apear but if i use the Administrator user and password it apear ...

Font problem
Hi, I am trying to change the font in an Owner Drawn list box. The list box consists of a series of buttons with an icon and some text underneath the icon (still on the face of the button). The problem is that I am creating a font and selecting it into the device context but if you resize the window it sometimes changes the font. Is there any way to prevent this? I want the font to remain consistent even when the window is resized. The code to create the font is: VERIFY(myfont.CreateFont( 8, // nHeight 0, // nWidth 0, ...

Formula problem #13
I am trying to come up with a formula for the following: I have a range of five cells in a column which are store numbers. The 5 cells represent Monday thru Friday (the labels of Mon thru Fri are in a separate column and won't need to be a part of the formula). example: Monday 452 (c1) Tuesday 453 (c2) Wednesday 453 (c3) Thursday 452 (c4) Friday 453 (c5) This is a schedule showing which store numbers a person is supposed to be in on these days. The person above, however is assigned three stores: 452, 453, and 454. In the blank cel...

Problems with Columns
Attempting to change existing text to two columns but sections in wrong order when changed to columns. What could be causing this? ...

Exchange 2003 problem #2
We got problem with email, so I tried to check the Exchange 2003 server, all clients cann't resolve the exchange server which they using msoutlook xp. I tried to ping from client the server that can able to resolve the server. I already try to reintall ADC and Exchange 2003 but still thesame problem. From event viewer I got error event id 9175, 3015 and 3018. I format the server and reinstall everything and thanks god it works but suddenly the problem back again in thesame problem... We have norton firewall, symantec anti virus system and I also install symantec antivirus/f...

Microsoft Money 2005 Report Problem
I am trying to get a transaction report of all withdrawals for the previous year from my checking accounts and the only thing that is reported is deposits. I had previously printed this report without any problem. Now it doesn't. I tried reinstalling the program and upgrading it but it didn't help. What am I doing wrong??? Any ideas? Pat ...

access problem
Hello newsgroup, i have a microsoft access 2000 database. Now, i have to install it on the pc of our customer. The customer has installed 2003. I can export all data, but i can not open the reports of this database. I will get the message ( if i got some) an active x or ole object is not installed. But i don't know which on can't be used. If i will create an equal database which the same references, it is not the problem. The only thing which i can not use on this pc is "insert a diagram" After this, we have installed a access runtime 2000, but the same error. Have somebod...

Problem with CArchive
Hi I am saving and loading a CArray using CArchive. CStdioFile file(fileName, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite); CArchive arc(&file, CArchive::store); mPad.Serialize(arc); CStdioFile file; CArchive arc(&file, CArchive::load); mPad.RemoveAll(); mPad.Serialize(arc); mPad is declared as CArray <Song, Song&> mPad; where Song is my own data struct. I'm using CStdioFile because I want to use ReadString. It was working fine, until I increased the size of the array slightly (but still much less than 4k) - then it loads about half the array and the rest is blank, ...

Problem with the OWA.
I have Exchange 5.5 with Windows NT 4.0, when I try to enter to the mail via OWA it leaves the following error: ! Your current password is about to expire in 0 days. To change your password, go to the Options page after you login. Thank you for their help. Greetings. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;236909 -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "ebarrios@ar.soluziona.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28f6a01c464f4$82c7b360$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have Exchang...