Filter Combo Box Listing

I have a form with the first four fields named "FirstName", "LastName",
Phone", and EmailAddress". The field "EmaiAddress" is a combo box. The row
source for this CBO is a table named Email.

The table Email has five fields: "EmailID (PK), "FirstName", "LastName",
"FullName" (first and last name concatenated), and "EmaiAddress".

When I first open the form to enter NEW information, I key in the FirstName,
LastName, and Phone fields. I then tab to the fourth field called
EmailAddress (the CBO). I'd like the values displayed by the CBO to show ONLY
those records that match the First and Last names on the new form just
opened. I've tried using the Forms! statement to look at the values just
entered in the FirstName and LastName fields but it looks like Access can't
find the just opened form.

Is it possible that using the Forms! statement is not appropriate for these
type of filtering ? What am I doing wrong ? Can I filter the values returned
from the CBO based upon values entered in a new form ?

alhotch,
    Well, I think a bit of design change is in order.
    Sounds like you have a table of customers (ex. tblCustomers), and that
this table is used to create multiple transactions against those
customers... such as an invoice today, another next week, next month etc...
    Each of your customers records should have a unique key identifier, like
an autonumber field... something like a CustID.

    If it's really a matter of one email per one customer, then the email
should be included in the Customer table... thus no need for the combo, and
that is usually the case.
    It's very rare, and problematic... for a vendor to allow multiple email
addresses for a customer...

    IF (and I do mean IF) it's possible for a customer to have more than one
email address associated with them, then a separate email table is called
for.
    In that table there needs to be a CustID field, so each email record is
associated with the correct customer.  tblCustomers CustID (the One)
to tblEmails EmailAddress (the Many)
    Your combo query would use CustID to filter the email addresses
returned, to only those associated with the form's CustID.

    Let's start with that... There are a few more points/suggestions I'd
like to make, but let's see what you have to say to this point.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"alhotch" <alhotch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form with the first four fields named "FirstName", "LastName",
> Phone", and EmailAddress". The field "EmaiAddress" is a combo box. The row
> source for this CBO is a table named Email.
>
> The table Email has five fields: "EmailID (PK), "FirstName", "LastName",
> "FullName" (first and last name concatenated), and "EmaiAddress".
>
> When I first open the form to enter NEW information, I key in the
> FirstName,
> LastName, and Phone fields. I then tab to the fourth field called
> EmailAddress (the CBO). I'd like the values displayed by the CBO to show
> ONLY
> those records that match the First and Last names on the new form just
> opened. I've tried using the Forms! statement to look at the values just
> entered in the FirstName and LastName fields but it looks like Access
> can't
> find the just opened form.
>
> Is it possible that using the Forms! statement is not appropriate for
> these
> type of filtering ? What am I doing wrong ? Can I filter the values
> returned
> from the CBO based upon values entered in a new form ?

0
Al
5/3/2010 8:54:02 PM
Thanks for the response, Al

My application is a shuttle reservation system. I do have a table of email
address. This table was populated from the Importing the addresses from
Outlook Express into a csv file and the Email table was built from that.

Yes, there are duplicate email addresses in this Email table. If I chose to
"look" at these duplicates where I want the reservationist to "make a
choice", the DLookUp function is out since DLookUp only returns the first
occurance. I tried DLookUp and it will do what I want (almost). What I would
like to do is open the form, enter the FirstName, then LastName in the new
(data entry) form. Then, use the CBO for the EmailAddress field and select
which email address is appropriate for this passenger.
This selection would based based on a SELECT query (or Row Source property)
by looking at the Email table, finding ALL occurances of the FullName value
(ie. John Smith), then looking at the new data just entered in the form
(FirstName LastName) Since FullName already is First/Last name, I need to
concatenate the FirstName and LastName values from the just entered data in
the new form and make a comparasion. I would prefer to display all occurances
of FullName ( such as all email addesses listed for a "John Smith") from the
email table and place the selected value in the EmailAddress field of the
newly opened form underlying table.

From an SQL standpoint, here is my current code (that does not work):

SELECT Email.FullName FROM Email WHERE
(((Email.[FullName])=[Forms]![Reservations].[Reservations].[FirstName] & " "
& [Reservations].[LastName]));

As you can see, I use the Forms! statement to read the values of FirstName
and LastName from the Reservations table. However, I'm not sure I can use a
concatenation (calculated) value for the "ControlName" in the function:
Forms![FormName].[ControlName].

I want to make it easy for the reservationist to enter the appropriate email
address. As this is a new application, I already have over 4000 email address
in OutLook Express. Porting these email address over to this new addition to
the current reservation system and making them available to data entry
personnel, should reduce key entry time and accuracy.

"Al Campagna" wrote:

> alhotch,
>     Well, I think a bit of design change is in order.
>     Sounds like you have a table of customers (ex. tblCustomers), and that
> this table is used to create multiple transactions against those
> customers... such as an invoice today, another next week, next month etc...
>     Each of your customers records should have a unique key identifier, like
> an autonumber field... something like a CustID.
>
>     If it's really a matter of one email per one customer, then the email
> should be included in the Customer table... thus no need for the combo, and
> that is usually the case.
>     It's very rare, and problematic... for a vendor to allow multiple email
> addresses for a customer...
>
>     IF (and I do mean IF) it's possible for a customer to have more than one
> email address associated with them, then a separate email table is called
> for.
>     In that table there needs to be a CustID field, so each email record is
> associated with the correct customer.  tblCustomers CustID (the One)
> to tblEmails EmailAddress (the Many)
>     Your combo query would use CustID to filter the email addresses
> returned, to only those associated with the form's CustID.
>
>     Let's start with that... There are a few more points/suggestions I'd
> like to make, but let's see what you have to say to this point.
> --
>     hth
>     Al Campagna
>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
>

> "alhotch" <alhotch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a form with the first four fields named "FirstName", "LastName",
> > Phone", and EmailAddress". The field "EmaiAddress" is a combo box. The row
> > source for this CBO is a table named Email.
> >
> > The table Email has five fields: "EmailID (PK), "FirstName", "LastName",
> > "FullName" (first and last name concatenated), and "EmaiAddress".
> >
> > When I first open the form to enter NEW information, I key in the
> > FirstName,
> > LastName, and Phone fields. I then tab to the fourth field called
> > EmailAddress (the CBO). I'd like the values displayed by the CBO to show
> > ONLY
> > those records that match the First and Last names on the new form just
> > opened. I've tried using the Forms! statement to look at the values just
> > entered in the FirstName and LastName fields but it looks like Access
> > can't
> > find the just opened form.
> >
> > Is it possible that using the Forms! statement is not appropriate for
> > these
> > type of filtering ? What am I doing wrong ? Can I filter the values
> > returned
> > from the CBO based upon values entered in a new form ?
>

> .

Let me restate my question in more simpler terms. I want to know if I can
concaenate a [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] value and use it in the
"controlname" parameter of a "Forms!" statement. In other words, will the
following SQL statement work ?

SELECT ALL [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address] FROM tblNames WHERE
[tblNames].[FirstName] & " " &
[tblNames].[LastName]=Forms![frmNames].[FirstName] & " " & [LastName] ORDER
BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC

If not, why ? When I run this statement, I get the FirstName displayed (I
use this SELECT statement as the RowSource control in a ComboBox) but NOT the
concatenation of both FirstName and LastName. I've tried to put "( )" around
the two values - [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] but get syntax errors.

"alhotch" wrote:

> I have a form with the first four fields named "FirstName", "LastName",
> Phone", and EmailAddress". The field "EmaiAddress" is a combo box. The row
> source for this CBO is a table named Email.
>
> The table Email has five fields: "EmailID (PK), "FirstName", "LastName",
> "FullName" (first and last name concatenated), and "EmaiAddress".
>
> When I first open the form to enter NEW information, I key in the FirstName,
> LastName, and Phone fields. I then tab to the fourth field called
> EmailAddress (the CBO). I'd like the values displayed by the CBO to show ONLY
> those records that match the First and Last names on the new form just
> opened. I've tried using the Forms! statement to look at the values just
> entered in the FirstName and LastName fields but it looks like Access can't
> find the just opened form.
>
> Is it possible that using the Forms! statement is not appropriate for these
> type of filtering ? What am I doing wrong ? Can I filter the values returned
> from the CBO based upon values entered in a new form ?
On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:56:01 -0700, alhotch
<alhotch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Let me restate my question in more simpler terms. I want to know if I can
>concaenate a [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] value and use it in the
>"controlname" parameter of a "Forms!" statement. In other words, will the
>following SQL statement work ?
>
>SELECT ALL [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address] FROM tblNames WHERE
>[tblNames].[FirstName] & " " &
>[tblNames].[LastName]=Forms![frmNames].[FirstName] & " " & [LastName] ORDER
>BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC
>
>If not, why ? When I run this statement, I get the FirstName displayed (I
>use this SELECT statement as the RowSource control in a ComboBox) but NOT the
>concatenation of both FirstName and LastName. I've tried to put "( )" around
>the two values - [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] but get syntax errors.

You can't assume that Access will understand the isolated reference to
[LastName]; and SELECT ALL is not valid SQL. Try

SELECT [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address] FROM tblNames WHERE
[tblNames].[FirstName] & " " & [tblNames].[LastName] =
Forms![frmNames]![FirstName] & " " & Forms![frmNames]![LastName]
ORDER BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC

Or search the two name fields independently:

SELECT [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address]
FROM tblNames
WHERE [tblNames].[FirstName] = Forms![frmNames]![FirstName]
AND [tblNames].[LastName] = Forms![frmNames]![LastName]
ORDER BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC

or, even better,

SELECT [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address]
FROM tblNames
WHERE ([tblNames].[FirstName] = Forms![frmNames]![FirstName]
OR Forms![frmNames]![FirstName] IS NULL)
AND ([tblNames].[LastName] = Forms![frmNames]![LastName]
OR Forms![frmNames]![LastName] IS NULL)
ORDER BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC

to match all the records for "Zybrowski" if the FirstName control is left
blank.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Much Thanks, Again !

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:56:01 -0700, alhotch
> <alhotch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Let me restate my question in more simpler terms. I want to know if I can
> >concaenate a [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] value and use it in the
> >"controlname" parameter of a "Forms!" statement. In other words, will the
> >following SQL statement work ?
> >
> >SELECT ALL [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address] FROM tblNames WHERE
> >[tblNames].[FirstName] & " " &
> >[tblNames].[LastName]=Forms![frmNames].[FirstName] & " " & [LastName] ORDER
> >BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC
> >
> >If not, why ? When I run this statement, I get the FirstName displayed (I
> >use this SELECT statement as the RowSource control in a ComboBox) but NOT the
> >concatenation of both FirstName and LastName. I've tried to put "( )" around
> >the two values - [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] but get syntax errors.
>
> You can't assume that Access will understand the isolated reference to
> [LastName]; and SELECT ALL is not valid SQL. Try
>
> SELECT [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address] FROM tblNames WHERE
> [tblNames].[FirstName] & " " & [tblNames].[LastName] =
> Forms![frmNames]![FirstName] & " " & Forms![frmNames]![LastName]
> ORDER BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC
>
> Or search the two name fields independently:
>
> SELECT [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address]
> FROM tblNames
> WHERE [tblNames].[FirstName] = Forms![frmNames]![FirstName]
> AND [tblNames].[LastName] = Forms![frmNames]![LastName]
> ORDER BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC
>
> or, even better,
>
> SELECT [tblNames].[NamesID],[tblNames].[Address]
> FROM tblNames
> WHERE ([tblNames].[FirstName] = Forms![frmNames]![FirstName]
> OR Forms![frmNames]![FirstName] IS NULL)
> AND ([tblNames].[LastName] = Forms![frmNames]![LastName]
> OR Forms![frmNames]![LastName] IS NULL)
> ORDER BY [tblNames].[Address] DESC
>
> to match all the records for "Zybrowski" if the FirstName control is left
> blank.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Help: New dialog box when opening Word or Outlook
Starting in the last week or so I get the following message when opening Word or Outlook (which I have set to use Word as my mail composer): ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The document contains macros. Macro language support is currently disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only? OK Cancel Help ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am not opening a fil...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

How do I create a box plot in Excel?
I am trying to create a box plot in excel. My book says to go to tools and Data Analysis Plus. I have already added data analysis, but I have no Data analysis plus. Can anyone help? That appears to be an Australian third party add-in. (I Googled for that info.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "TEW" <TEW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7947896-1FA3-4326-9509-11660EB171FC@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a box plot in excel. My book says to go to tools and > Data Analysis Plus. I have already added data analysis, but I have no D...

Double-Click a Text Box to Open Larger on Screen
Hi everyone, hope my request is doable in Access. I need to take a text box on a form, double-click it, and then have the same text box open larger on the screen so that the user can type into it. My users have seen pop up boxes where they can type in info on other programs, so they want this same feature in Access. Thank you for your help in this matter. Maurita Searcy Maurita wrote: > Hi everyone, hope my request is doable in Access. I need to take a > text box on a form, double-click it, and then have the same text box > open larger on the screen so that the user can type int...

drop-down lists #2
I am trying to search through a list that is 12 columns wide by 891 rows. Each row must stay together. The spreadsheet I have now has drop-downs on the top of the page, bu the drop-down lists do not include all the possible entries in eac column. It only contains approximately 1000 of the first alph-numeri entries. Is there a 1000 entry limit on drop-down lists? :confused: How can I get the drop-downs to include all data in the column? Thanks for any and all help on this.: -- prodrafte ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prodrafter's Profile:...

Pressing rhe Print button brings up a "Save As" dialog box.
I'm using Win'XP and Office 2003. Pressing the print button in Excel brings up a "Saved As" dialog box. Rebooting doesn't change a thing. Following through on the "Save As" dialog box doesn't lead anywhere. Been using Excel for months and never saw anything like it. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Don J -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You got a few replies when you first posted this. Don J wrote: > &g...

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

hide dialog box application
I want to hide dialog box application. Overriding OnWindowShow of the main dialog class, and inside calling ShowWindow for hiding, does nothing. Doing so inside OnPaint works, but causes annoying flicker. Can someone advise please? Regards Marom See my essay on dialog box applications on my MVP Tips site (Nish gave me permission to reproduce his technique in my essay, and I link to his site as well) joe On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:57:44 +0200, "Marom" <kmarom@miran.net> wrote: >I want to hide dialog box application. Overriding OnWindowShow of the main >dialog ...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

clip art in list box
i want to insert clip art into a drop list instead of text One word...Can't. Which technically is two words but you still can't... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "mrmatt67" wrote: > i want to insert clip art into a drop list instead of text ...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

mutli-select list box problem
The following code is my failed attempt to get the items picked in a multi-select List box to then appear in another form named "NameDetailForm". The NameDetailForm does open but does not show the items picked from the list box. I believe the end part of my code is flawed, but cannot figure out what it should correctly be. If there is better code for this purpose, I would appreciate seeing it. Private Sub Itemschosen_Click() Dim strWhere As String, varItem As Variant If Me!NameListBox.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then Exit Sub For Each varItem In Me!NameListBox.ItemsSelec...

How to fill up CPrintInfo without a Print Dialog Box
I can get the DEVMODE structure from a given printer name so I do not need to popup a print dialog box. However, since I do not want to override all those print functions, I will have to correctly fill up the CPrintInfo which contains the print dialog structure. Is there any way to do this? ...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Going from one combo to another
I have a worksheet with some combo boxes. I want to hit the tab key and move from one combo to the next one. Is that possible? How is it done? -- bernardoafs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bernardoafs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28993 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489382 Hi, if you open goto your userform properties, there is an area called Tab Index. alter the numbers to your tab preference as they are automatically set by the point you added your combo b...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Dropdown box Addable?
Hi All, Any way we can make dropdown box to add a new item in CRM 3.0 because all dropdown boxes of CRM 3.0 can't add any items into it except you go to Customization for Form and View and add one item at time manually. Anyone has any ideas ? Thanks Instead of using dropdown picklists, you could use lookup controls instead. Create a custom entity to hold your picklist values, and then create a 1:n relationship between it and the entity you had the dropdown list on originally. This will allow you to add a lookup box to the form instead of a dropdown. Then users can add new recor...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

allowing a text box to grow
Is it difficult to have a CEdit control and its dialog grow according to the length of the string in the control? I'm interested in using such an arrangement for my error messages and would like it to fit my messages. Use DrawText to compute the rectangle required and resize your control to accomodate it. joe On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:31:07 -0400, "SteveR" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote: >Is it difficult to have a CEdit control and its dialog grow according to the >length of the string in the control? I'm interested in using such an >arra...

Month Filter
I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks listed by date (mm/dd/yy), payee, check #, etc. What I want to do is be able to filter the list by month (ex., March 2005). Is there a way to do this? Thanks Joseph You can Try EasyFilter Joseph http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph" <joe@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23lQNnTawFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks lis...