Filter by Form limitations

I have a form with several combo boxes which are "limit to list".  I have
another combo box that is disabled if the value in another field doesn't meet
certain criteria.  When the user clicks "filter by form", they can't enter
any wildcard strings into the "limit to list" combo boxes, and they can't use
the disabled field at all for filtering.

I would like the form to become more usable for filtering when the user
clicks "filter by form" (ability to use wildcards etc).  What is the best way
to do this?  I had a thought that I could put a procedure in the ApplyFilter
event that checks to see if the filter being used is 'filter by form', and
then changes these combo boxes so that they are more usable (enable them and
set LimitToList to false).  I don't want the fields to be accidentally left
in this state, however.

Has anyone tried this or is there a more straightforward way to accomplish it?

Thanks
Angela

Angela, I think you have outgrown Filter By Form. It has several
limitations, and doesn't work in Runtime Access at all.

You might be ready to take the plunge and provide a more obvious filtering
mechanism for your users.

This one lets you filter on any one field as you type:
    Find as you type - Filter forms with each keystroke
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppFindAsUType.html
It is very easy to set up: copy'n'paste, no coding to write.

This one is more powerful (filtering on a combination of fields), and it's
the one I generally implement for users, but it does require some coding.
It's worth learning, as you reuse this concept for offering lots of filters
for your reports as well. It contains a sample database that shows how it's
done:
    Search form - Handle many optional criteria
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

"Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form with several combo boxes which are "limit to list".  I have
> another combo box that is disabled if the value in another field doesn't
> meet
> certain criteria.  When the user clicks "filter by form", they can't enter
> any wildcard strings into the "limit to list" combo boxes, and they can't
> use
> the disabled field at all for filtering.
>
> I would like the form to become more usable for filtering when the user
> clicks "filter by form" (ability to use wildcards etc).  What is the best
> way
> to do this?  I had a thought that I could put a procedure in the
> ApplyFilter
> event that checks to see if the filter being used is 'filter by form', and
> then changes these combo boxes so that they are more usable (enable them
> and
> set LimitToList to false).  I don't want the fields to be accidentally
> left
> in this state, however.
>
> Has anyone tried this or is there a more straightforward way to accomplish
> it?
>
> Thanks
> Angela

0
Allen
2/1/2008 1:11:32 AM
Allen,
I completely forgot that Filter by Form doesn't work in Runtime.  It's been
a while since I did this work (last time was using Access 97) and I'm a bit
rusty.  Thanks for your help and the links.

Angela

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> Angela, I think you have outgrown Filter By Form. It has several
> limitations, and doesn't work in Runtime Access at all.
>
> You might be ready to take the plunge and provide a more obvious filtering
> mechanism for your users.
>
> This one lets you filter on any one field as you type:
>     Find as you type - Filter forms with each keystroke
> at:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/AppFindAsUType.html
> It is very easy to set up: copy'n'paste, no coding to write.
>
> This one is more powerful (filtering on a combination of fields), and it's
> the one I generally implement for users, but it does require some coding.
> It's worth learning, as you reuse this concept for offering lots of filters
> for your reports as well. It contains a sample database that shows how it's
> done:
>     Search form - Handle many optional criteria
> at:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

> "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a form with several combo boxes which are "limit to list".  I have
> > another combo box that is disabled if the value in another field doesn't
> > meet
> > certain criteria.  When the user clicks "filter by form", they can't enter
> > any wildcard strings into the "limit to list" combo boxes, and they can't
> > use
> > the disabled field at all for filtering.
> >
> > I would like the form to become more usable for filtering when the user
> > clicks "filter by form" (ability to use wildcards etc).  What is the best
> > way
> > to do this?  I had a thought that I could put a procedure in the
> > ApplyFilter
> > event that checks to see if the filter being used is 'filter by form', and
> > then changes these combo boxes so that they are more usable (enable them
> > and
> > set LimitToList to false).  I don't want the fields to be accidentally
> > left
> > in this state, however.
> >
> > Has anyone tried this or is there a more straightforward way to accomplish
> > it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Angela

Allen,

Does the function provide for any 'wildcard' character(s)?  For instance,
using the example on your site, if the user recalled that an 'Address' had
the letters 'vico' in it, but did not recall the exact name of the street,
would typing " *-v-i-c-o-* " produce "Via Ludovico il Moro 22" as an
address?

Thx...
Earl Anderson

> Angela, I think you have outgrown Filter By Form. It has several
> limitations, and doesn't work in Runtime Access at all.
>
> You might be ready to take the plunge and provide a more obvious filtering
> mechanism for your users.
>
> This one lets you filter on any one field as you type:
>    Find as you type - Filter forms with each keystroke
> at:
>    http://allenbrowne.com/AppFindAsUType.html
> It is very easy to set up: copy'n'paste, no coding to write.
>
> This one is more powerful (filtering on a combination of fields), and it's
> the one I generally implement for users, but it does require some coding.
> It's worth learning, as you reuse this concept for offering lots of
> filters for your reports as well. It contains a sample database that shows
> how it's done:
>    Search form - Handle many optional criteria
> at:
>    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

> "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a form with several combo boxes which are "limit to list".  I have
>> another combo box that is disabled if the value in another field doesn't
>> meet
>> certain criteria.  When the user clicks "filter by form", they can't
>> enter
>> any wildcard strings into the "limit to list" combo boxes, and they can't
>> use
>> the disabled field at all for filtering.
>>
>> I would like the form to become more usable for filtering when the user
>> clicks "filter by form" (ability to use wildcards etc).  What is the best
>> way
>> to do this?  I had a thought that I could put a procedure in the
>> ApplyFilter
>> event that checks to see if the filter being used is 'filter by form',
>> and
>> then changes these combo boxes so that they are more usable (enable them
>> and
>> set LimitToList to false).  I don't want the fields to be accidentally
>> left
>> in this state, however.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this or is there a more straightforward way to
>> accomplish it?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Angela

0
Earl
2/2/2008 1:27:11 PM
Use the Like operator with wildcards, e.g.:

    strWhere = strWhere & "(Address Like ""*" & SomeTextbox & "*"") AND "

"Earl Anderson" <isobadd@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Allen,
>
> Does the function provide for any 'wildcard' character(s)?  For instance,
> using the example on your site, if the user recalled that an 'Address' had
> the letters 'vico' in it, but did not recall the exact name of the street,
> would typing " *-v-i-c-o-* " produce "Via Ludovico il Moro 22" as an
> address?

0
Allen

Merged Cell Character Limitation?
Is there a limitation to the number of characters that can be entered into a merged cell? I have a document which has a merged cell consisting of 12 rows and 9 coulmns (for text entry). I set the cell to word wrap. However the word wrapping ceases after roughly 1500 characters, and the text is no longer visible to the user in the cell (even though there appears to be room). If this is a limitation, is there a known work around? Hi there's a maximum of 1024 characters per cell. Though you can increase this by manually adding line breaks with ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Fra...

Generate & View Pdf in a Form with C# without Acrobat
I need to create and view a Pdf document in a simple form without the Acrobat Reader Requirements!!! There is something free or not too expansive to use with C#??? thanks Try ItextSharp,its a opensource Attasc wrote: Generate & View Pdf in a Form with C# without Acrobat 25-Nov-09 I need to create and view a Pdf document in a simple form without the Acrobat Reader Requirements!!! There is something free or not too expansive to use with C#??? thanks Previous Posts In This Thread: EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Top 10 .NET Framewor...

Populate a form based on a query using parameters
I have created a form that is populated from a query. I have a text box set up as an input box and click a button (Search) to execute the search. This appears to be working fine as the query opens and runs. However, it displays in the query in data format instead of in the Form I created. How do I get this information to populate the form, not the actual query. The Search button is set to RunQuery. On Apr 19, 7:07=A0pm, Mommybear <Mommyb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have created a form that is populated from a query. =A0I have a text bo= x set > up ...

Crosspost limit
Xp sp3, OE 6andchange, if it matters... I don't often reply to massivly crossposted news messages, but recently I've wanted to xpost to five or six groups in a reply. OE limits me to four groups. I suppose this is a registry entry. Can someone point me to it? TIA....Doug "Doug McCrary" <dougmccrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:QdN9n.26064$fu3.19623@newsfe12.iad... > Xp sp3, OE 6andchange, if it matters... > > I don't often reply to massivly crossposted news messages, but recently > I've wanted to xpost to five or six ...

Intelligent Message Filter #15
I am using an Exchange server 2003 SP2 on a win 2003 R2 server. I have IMF (Intelligent Message Filter) running and updated. I have several users with Black Berry PDA’s that connect to the exchange through RPC over HTTP. These users (one of them is the CEO) are being filtered by the IMF and end up in the Junk mail. Is there a way to prevent the mail coming from the Black Berry from being filtered. In other words to create a white list with in the IMF? Appreciate the help. Itay -- Itay - Mdg Medical ...

when form created

Print Outlook Calendar with an Excel form on back of same sheet
I work for a large company where all employees print two forms everyday. One is their Outlook calendar and the other is an Excel Form used to collect data during the completion of a daily process throughout the day. I would like to automate the printing of these two forms by combining them into a single print function with the output resulting in their Outlook Calendar Daily View on the front and the data collection Form on the back of a single sheet. I've tried exporting my calendar data into a sheet in the Excel workbook, but formatting the schedule data to look graphi...

one mdb form with multiple tables?
I have inherited an Access front end that is an mdb with a SQL Server backend. I need one of the forms to save data to multiple tables. In turn, this form would also need to load its data from these different tables. I know that saving/loading data for one form to/from multiple tables is an easy task with an adp. But is possible to do that with an mdb form? And how would I go about doing that? Thanks in advance for your help. The only way a form can interact with more than one table is to use a query that joins the tables together. Unfortunately, usually doing that results in a query that&...

IF FUNCTION Limitations question #3
AWESOME!! Thanks Frank, Pau -- rugby19999 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rugby199993's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1578 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27293 ...

Form View
Hi All, I have created a form with a subform in it, the subform is in datasheet view, is it possible to have the subform show the last record / new record area instead of having to scroll down to find the last record or to insert the next new record, hope this makes sense. Thanks Here is a link to 2 sample databases showing how to have the new record appearing at the top of the form. http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic374.html To show the most recent record, base the form on a query. In the query, under the date column, put Descending on the Sort row. Jeanette...

Advanced Filter #7
I need help with my advanced filter. I want to filter my customer list, sheet 1 to work sheet 2, with only the customers located in Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, La Quinta & Cathedral City, CA. In cell W43, I have inputed CITY & below that, W44:48 the cities as referenced above. How would I set up the criteria and operators to do the advanced filter? Thanks for you help. Best regards, victor Check out Debra Dalgleish's site: http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#CriteriaRange la90292 wrote: > > I need ...

Forms Doesn't diaplay in reading pane
I have designed a outlook form and when I send it to the user, he cannot see it in reading pane unless they double click and open it, Please let me know Thanks, Pallu Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Outlook. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Pallu R" <Pallu R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98C3B7A1-1E06-4D04-BB93-324C22D6098C@microsoft.com... >...

2003 FILTERING
I am using Outlook 2003 and have set the filtering to high so that only whitelist email is processed. I have my firebox, WatchGuard, set up to email me alerts. When I get the email, it comes in the format "firebox@ [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]". When I try to add to safe list, I get an error because it is not in the format user@domain.com. I would like to add this address to the safelist so my rules can move it to a specified folder. I tried adding as a contact and that still doesn't work. Any ideas? try words in header 'firebox@' - rules supersede the junk filter, so...

Using data filter
When I use auto filter for a data range with 7 field names all field names are selected and can be used to filter the data. Is it possible to select only one or two field names to use as the filters but still the entire data fields? Hi, when you apply filter and click in the arrow, you are able to select which names do you want to have as filtered data "Alrom45" wrote: > When I use auto filter for a data range with 7 field names all field names > are selected and can be used to filter the data. Is it possible to select > only one or two field names to us...

Using "Filter" to isolate particular dates
We have an Excel document with a column showing dates of annual reviews for employees. Through the Filter function is there a way to isolate annual reviews due in a particular month? Thanks for any suggestions. (I know we can sort the entire document by date, but I'd like to show only those reviews that are coming due.) Hi, this is DanMcC again I did think of one solution, which is to determine numical value of 1st and last dates of the month in question. Then, use those numerical values in my Filter equation to isolate that month. A bit convoluted, but it works.... Are you using an...

What am I doing wrong? (Protecting forms)
Hi, I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure out what. I created a form (like I've done many times before) and I'm trying to protect it but when the Protect Form pane comes up, I check the box that says "Allow only this type of editing in document:" and I select "Filling in forms" from the drop down list. Normally, the "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" button becomes active and I would then select it but it's grayed out as is the the lock on the Forms toolbar. This has happened to me once before and I had to start over wi...

How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
Diane, How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50 recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break down his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send. He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update. No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients. Gregg Hill Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a different ISP that doesn't limit you, or use a 3rd party service that will send out your e-mail blasts for you. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Rola...

DataGrid (VB6) in Acces2003 form
Hi all, DataGrid from VB6 in in main form. I build recordset : Dim qdf_temp As QueryDef Set qdf_temp = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", tmpSQLstr) Dim rs As Recordset Set rs = qdf_temp.OpenRecordset If I try DataGrid.DataSource=rs I receive message "Type mismatch" Why ? Where is mistake ? What is difference when I build recordset which based on DAO or ADO? Is different internal structure or something another ? Regards Jurek Not sure, but since you're dealing with objects, not variables, you probably need to use Set DataGrid.DataSource=rs -- ...

Pop up form meeting text box requierment
I want certain forms to pop up when certain words are entered into a sub form control text box. Example: Where the "Employee History" form has in the "situation" contorl text box the word from the list box "Accident", I want the "300 Form" to pop up and when that form is completed I want the 301 Form to pop up. All three table are linked in the Employee history table at the actionID control. Thanks in advance. You're going to have to trap the changes to the control(s) in question, evaluate them and then act accordingly. probably a case state...

repetitive data entry form design
Hello, I'm trying to create a form (if possible) that allows the user to perform series of data entry - max of about 50 items at once. (I've posted a question on this but I guess I didn't explain well enough what my problems are and how the db is set up right now so I'm trying again, sorry for the repost). The way the tables are set up is; I have a main Project table that has a unique autonumber field for all project items, as well as project name, engineer ID, impacted regions ID, switch ID, due dates. The engineer ID, region ID, switch ID are FK from the Engineer(has ...

Filter
I have a table that has various fields on information such as name, address, phone number. I would like to generate a mailing list so that one household per phone number gets the mailing (John Doe & Jane Doe have separate records, but share the same phone number - I want for their household to only get one copy of the mailing). Is there a way to do this, and if so, how? Thanks, Glenn The best way is to use Word and use the Excel file as the database. Use the Word help files on Mail Merge to get details. "Glenn" <glenn@glenncoolong.com> wrote in message news:%23ACfS1...

Updating a table in a Form
Hi all, I'm fairly new to Access. I'm using 2003. Here is my situation: I have 2 tables: public_po, and local_po. public_po is an ODBC source from our backend system that is not editable by me (nor do I want it to be). It has a unique id field "order_no" and several other fields that aren't important right now. local_po is a local mdb table I created, with fields I want to be able to input like "ship date", "confirm date", etc. It also has a unique id field "order_no" that I have linked to public_po in relationships with a RIGHT JOIN....

VB to Access form
To save a lengthy reinvention of the wheel, does anyone have a program to convert a VB form into an access form please. About six years ago, I wrote a VB6 program to convert an AS/400 screen format into a VB6 form. Once I found that Access was much easier to distribute than VB6, I modified the program to create an Access form. I would need to look in the VB form that I was converting for what I had output in the first of my programs and then do the corresponding action from the second program. This is why on this occasion I would rather pick someone else's brains if possible. M...

Form OnLoad event for Case Entity not firing?
Hi, Is there something different about the Case entity that prevents a Form onLoad event from firing? I put an alert() call in there and it doesn't fire. I even typed garbage in the event handler and it doesn't error. Other entities like activity seem to work fine. Actually, I can't ge the onSave or the onChange events for any Case fields to fire either.... Thanks for you help! Todd Very interesting - I have the exact same problem with the Opportunity entity in CRM 4.0 Are you using CRM 4.0? Did you upgrade from 3.0? I did fix this for while by importing clean out of the ...

Publisher 2000/Frontapge 2000
I have completed a clean installation of Win XP (complete with all updates to date). I have then installed parts of MS Office 2000 - Photodraw, Publisher and Frontpage - not included in MS Office 2003 Standard, together with any related office updates. I then installed MS Office 2003 Standard. Finally, I created user accounts with limited access for the kids. All parts of Office 2003, Publisher 2000 and Frontpage 2000 work fine in the administrator account. However, in the limited user account the system attempts to reinstall the software whenever I try to start Publisher or Fron...