field filled out based on option selection

I have this situation
In a form, I have a combo box named Product line with 4 options to select
from: instrumentation, targetry, engineering, services. I also have a text
box called “Participation%”. When the user makes a selection from the Product
line, the percentage gets entered in the "Participation%" field automatically.
Those have been defined in he table tblProductLine that contains the product
name associated to the percentage.
I don’t know how to do that. I don’t know much VBA. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

In advance, thank you.

SylvieB,
    Add the ParticipationPct (I avoid any symbols in names) column to
your combobox.  I'll call them ProdLine and PartPct for ease...
        First Col     Second Col
        ProdLine       PartPct

    Are the Participation% values always the same, or might they change
for each ProductLine over time?   I'll assume that a ProdLine Targetry
today,
with 10% PartPct... could be 15% at some other time.

    Use the AfterUpdate event of cboProdLine to set the value of your
PartPct control
Private Sub cboProdLine_AfterUpdate()
    PartPct = cboProdLine.Column(1)
End Sub

    When referring to combo column values, the columns are numbered
0, 1, 2, 3, etc... so the second column is Column(1)
    That could be done with a Macro also...
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"SylvieB" <SylvieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have this situation
> In a form, I have a combo box named Product line with 4 options to select
> from: instrumentation, targetry, engineering, services. I also have a text
> box called "Participation%". When the user makes a selection from the
> Product
> line, the percentage gets entered in the "Participation%" field
> automatically.
> Those have been defined in he table tblProductLine that contains the
> product
> name associated to the percentage.
> I don't know how to do that. I don't know much VBA. Any help will be
> greatly
> appreciated.
>
> In advance, thank you.

0
Al
2/8/2010 6:34:50 PM
On Feb 8, 1:34=A0pm, "Al Campagna" <newsgro...@comcast.net> wrote:
> SylvieB,
> =A0 =A0 Add the ParticipationPct (I avoid any symbols in names) column to
> your combobox. =A0I'll call them ProdLine and PartPct for ease...
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 First Col =A0 =A0 Second Col
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ProdLine =A0 =A0 =A0 PartPct
>
> =A0 =A0 Are the Participation% values always the same, or might they chan=
ge
> for each ProductLine over time? =A0 I'll assume that a ProdLine Targetry
> today,
> with 10% PartPct... could be 15% at some other time.
>
> =A0 =A0 Use the AfterUpdate event of cboProdLine to set the value of your
> PartPct control
> Private Sub cboProdLine_AfterUpdate()
> =A0 =A0 PartPct =3D cboProdLine.Column(1)
> End Sub
>
> =A0 =A0 When referring to combo column values, the columns are numbered
> 0, 1, 2, 3, etc... so the second column is Column(1)
> =A0 =A0 That could be done with a Macro also...
> --
> =A0 =A0 hth
> =A0 =A0 Al Campagna
> =A0 =A0 Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009
> =A0 =A0http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
> =A0 =A0 "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your =
life."

> "SylvieB" <Sylv...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I have this situation
> > In a form, I have a combo box named Product line with 4 options to sele=
ct
> > from: instrumentation, targetry, engineering, services. I also have a t=
ext
> > box called "Participation%". When the user makes a selection from the
> > Product
> > line, the percentage gets entered in the "Participation%"field
> > automatically.
> > Those have been defined in he table tblProductLine that contains the
> > product
> > name associated to the percentage.
> > I don't know how to do that. I don't know much VBA. Any help will be
> > greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> > In advance, thank you.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Al. I like your idea but I'm confused. I made the change on
the combo box like you suggested and created the event but it does not
pass the value of column1 (PartPct) to the text box Participation. I'm
getting a run time error "2113" the value you entered is not valid for
this field.
0
Sylvie
2/11/2010 10:12:30 PM
Sylvie,
    Please top post if the person who's trying to assist you does so.
    It makes the sequence of the threads much easier to follow.
    No big deal... just a heads up...

    Also, whenever you have code problems, always cut & paste the
code you used into your reply.  Describe where and how you placed
that code.  We need to see that code... exactly as you have it.
    Sorry, but I have to ask... have you done VB module code before?

    Also, please describe your combo columns, as you have them now,
in detail... just to make sure we're on the same page...

    When referring to combo column values, they are numbered
0, 1, 2, 3, etc... from left to right. The leftmost would be Column(0),
the next to the right Column(1).. etc...
    To be sure that the value you are trying to place into a control is
the correct one... place an unbound text control on the form, and set
the Control Source to...
        = cboProdLine.Column(1)
Is that the value you want for Participation?

If not... try
        = cboProdLine.Column(0)
etc.. til you get the proper value.

    Note: When you added ProdPct in the combo, you should have
changed...
    Column Count = 1   to  Column Count = 2
    Column Widths = 1"  to  Column Widths = 1" ; 1"
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"Sylvie" <sylvie1125@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 8, 1:34 pm, "Al Campagna" <newsgro...@comcast.net> wrote:
> SylvieB,
> Add the ParticipationPct (I avoid any symbols in names) column to
> your combobox. I'll call them ProdLine and PartPct for ease...
> First Col Second Col
> ProdLine PartPct
>
> Are the Participation% values always the same, or might they change
> for each ProductLine over time? I'll assume that a ProdLine Targetry
> today,
> with 10% PartPct... could be 15% at some other time.
>
> Use the AfterUpdate event of cboProdLine to set the value of your
> PartPct control
> Private Sub cboProdLine_AfterUpdate()
> PartPct = cboProdLine.Column(1)
> End Sub
>
> When referring to combo column values, the columns are numbered
> 0, 1, 2, 3, etc... so the second column is Column(1)
> That could be done with a Macro also...
> --
> hth
> Al Campagna
> Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009
> http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
> "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
>
> "SylvieB" <Sylv...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I have this situation
> > In a form, I have a combo box named Product line with 4 options to
> > select
> > from: instrumentation, targetry, engineering, services. I also have a
> > text
> > box called "Participation%". When the user makes a selection from the
> > Product
> > line, the percentage gets entered in the "Participation%"field
> > automatically.
> > Those have been defined in he table tblProductLine that contains the
> > product
> > name associated to the percentage.
> > I don't know how to do that. I don't know much VBA. Any help will be
> > greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> > In advance, thank you.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Al. I like your idea but I'm confused. I made the change on
the combo box like you suggested and created the event but it does not
pass the value of column1 (PartPct) to the text box Participation. I'm
getting a run time error "2113" the value you entered is not valid for
this field.

0
Al
2/12/2010 2:39:17 AM
On Feb 11, 9:39=A0pm, "Al Campagna" <newsgro...@comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > > text
> > > box called "Participation%". When the user makes a selection from the
> > > Product
> > > line, the percentage gets entered in the "Participation%"field
> > > automatically.
> > > Those have been defined in he table tblProductLine that contains the
> > > product
> > > name associated to the percentage.
> > > I don't know how to do that. I don't know much VBA. Any help will be
> > > greatly
> > > appreciated.
>
> > > In advance, thank you.- Hide quoted text -

> Thank you Al. I like your idea but I'm confused. I made the change on
> the combo box like you suggested and created the event but it does not
> pass the value of column1 (PartPct) to the text box Participation. I'm
> getting a run time error "2113" the value you entered is not valid for

Al, I don=92t know much about VBA. You probably figured that out. I
appreciate your guidelines.
This is the code I have for the combo box Product Type
Private Sub cboProductType_AfterUpdate()
     STSPart =3D cboProductType.Column(2)
End Sub

STSPart is the control name for Participation.
When I select an option from the combo box Product type, I have to
click on the text box Participation to pass the value. For example: I
select Training under Product type, I have to click to the
Participation box for the value 10% to show. How can the value pass
directly to the Participation box? Does it make sense?
Thank you
0
Sylvie
2/18/2010 7:23:58 PM
On Feb 18, 2:23=A0pm, Sylvie <sylvie1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > pass the value of column1 (PartPct) to the text box Participation. I'm
> > getting a run time error "2113" the value you entered is not valid for
> > thisfield.- Hide quoted text -

> Al, I don=92t know much about VBA. You probably figured thatout. I
> appreciate your guidelines.
> This is the code I have for the combo box Product Type
> Private Sub cboProductType_AfterUpdate()
> =A0 =A0 =A0STSPart =3D cboProductType.Column(2)
> End Sub
>
> STSPart is the control name for Participation.
> When I select an option from the combo box Product type, I have to
> click on the text box Participation to pass the value. For example: I
> select Training under Product type, I have to click to the
> Participation box for the value 10% to show. How can the value pass
> directly to the Participation box? Does it make sense?

Ok. I think I figured it out. I added a requery to refresh the data in
the Participation box. STS is the name of the text box. It works fine.
Again, Thank you for all your help.
Private Sub cboProductType_AfterUpdate()
     STSPart =3D cboProductType.Column(2)
     Me!STS.Requery
End Sub
0
Sylvie

validate a field based on sum of other fields
I have to assign commission to agents for each "order". I can have anywhere from 1 agent at 100% commission to 5 agents with every possible combination of percentages. Obviously, I need the percentage entries to only add up to 100 and I'd like to force the user to adjust the figures until they total 100. Firstly, am I right in assuming it would be better to be assigning the agents to the orderIDs in separate records: OrderID, Agent, Agent Percentage (as opposed to having one record contain the OrderID, Agent1, Agent1Percentage, Agent2, Agent2Percentage, Agent3, Agent3Pe...

Pivot Table Calculated field #3
I have a pivot table with columns for No's, Yes's and Grand Total. I would like to calculate the % of Yes's by dividing the Yes's by the Grand total. Can someone give me an easy explanation of how to do that or a source? I have tried every thing I can think of and the directions I have found have not helped.... Thanks, Ann To calculate total percent Yes, you could use the GETPIVOTDATA function in a formula outside the pivot table. For example: =GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5,"Valid","Yes")/GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5) MOE wrote: &g...

Paste options in HTML format within 2003
I have a strange one here that I don't think is duable but want to throw it open to the masses to see if there is a way of doing this. The issue is that I have a user that for the past few months has been copying data out of an excel workbook into Outlook. When the data is copied the user states that she has the option to change the formatting of the copy via a paste option box that appear on the screen. I know this works in Rich Text and using word as an editior but under HTML it does not work. I am reasonably postive that this option is not availalbe in HTML format an...

How to Drag/Move the IE control based Application
Hi All: I am developing Dialog based application. I have placed Microsoft WebBrowser control(IE control) on main Dialog of application. On the IE control, all messages are being passed to IE control. Now problem is that I am unable to drag/move this IE Control/Dialog. Any idea about moving IE control/Dialog Please help me in this regard. Regards, Ghazanfar Ali ...

Delegate Option Problem + MOSS 2007
Hi everybody! A little issue that I am facing is when I configure a workflow for any Document type in "MOSS 2007: Workflows for GP", I always found the options "Delegate to next approver" and "Delegate to:" disabled..... I don't know, what is the reason behind this.... Is there any installation or configuration issue? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. :) "Ehtasham Ur Rahman" ...

Locking Field position on screen.
I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across and 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the field positions in place on the screen. When I type in a field, the field to the left moves. I need to lock the position. Can this be done. Frank Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Intercompany option not available
Hello - I have set up Intercompany processing between two of our companies. When I go to Transactions - Financial - General to enter a transaction, the Intercompany check box is grayed out. According to the documentation, this should be available so that users can specify the transaction as an Intercompany transaction. Any ideas? Did you verify your registration keys? -- Charles Allen, MVP "poodlehead" wrote: > Hello - I have set up Intercompany processing between two of our companies. > When I go to Transactions - Financial - General to enter a transaction, the &g...

scripto to cut/paste to next field
Here is my situation: 1) A page on IE will be open, and I will have a cursor in a field on the page (field that has text in it) 2) I need to hit a shortcut (ctrl-shft-something) that cuts everything to the right of the cursor, advances a field (effectively, replicates ‘tab’ action), and pastes Anyone have some code (and instructions on what to do with the code) that may solve the above? -- Boris "BorisS" <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4B54CE9-F2A4-4195-B2E3-ABA75A49202C@microsoft.com... > Here is my situation: > > 1...

When printing a contact the other field (Notes) get cut off
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. <br> I have tried this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried a different printer also. Please help On 3/10/10 12:47 PM, mwilshrie@officeformac.com wrote: > Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. I have tried > this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried > a different printer also. Please help Can you post a picture of what you're de...

text field to date field field
I have a database that has a text field called "visit" it has been filled with data ie., " 6/22/07 - not good, " the field may also be blank or it may contain random text after the date. In some cases no date at all just text. I would like to create a new field called DateVisit that contains just the dates that were entered in the field "visit" it has been a struggle and I have made no progress please help abbenj@verizon.net/nospam From your description, the field might contain a date, or a date and text, or text, or nothing. How would you explai...

Form Fields In Outlook Template
Help !!! I'm not a developer, just a user, but I need some help. What I want to do is create an Outlook 2003 template, that uses form fields (Text, drop down boxes, etc.....) However, it looks like to properly create an Outlook template, you cannot use Word as your editor. But if I do not use Word as the editor, then I cannot access the Form Toolbar. This cannot be a new request - but I just cannot seem to figure this out. Help !!! Thank you See my response to your other post on this issue.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart...

Select First(Field1) From Table1 Order By Field1
Hi I am trying to run a query in this format: - SELECT First([FM_InvoiceImport].[Field1]) AS FirstOfField1 FROM FM_InvoiceImport ORDER BY [FM_InvoiceImport].[Field1]; It keeps telling me 'You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression '[FM_InvoiceImport].[Field1]' as part of an aggregate function.' Why won't it work?? Stapes SELECT First(FM_InvoiceImport.Field1) AS FirstOfField1 FROM FM_InvoiceImport; or SELECT First(FM_InvoiceImport.Field1) AS FirstOfField1, FM_InvoiceImport.IDField FROM FM_InvoiceImport GROUP BY FM_InvoiceImport.ID...

Date based coding
Need a little help. I have a form that the users use to enter in vacation days onto a calendar. What I would like to do is allow them to make changes to this calendar but prevent them from changing things after the fact. Example if they were scheduled off on 11-16 they must change details for that date on or prior to the 16th. Is this possible? Hi Lori, to validate a record and prevent it from being saved, put code in the form BeforeUpdate event '----------------- make sure all required data is filled 'make sure SomeControlName is filled out If IsNull...

Default fields in new fields
Using Outlook 2K When creating a new mail folder, it does not include the Subject and Received fields necessitating their having to be added every time. How can I get this to revert to the default fields? Thanks, Cathy ...

multiple critera for one field in a query
Hi, i am trying to get a count of a certain criteria but in different columns. Its hard to explain, but assume i have a table which consists of... A 550 B 600 C 20 A 100 C 75 B 120 D 390 Then in a query I am trying to have the result of: Over 500 Over 100 Over 25 Under 25 A 1 1 0 0 B 1 1 0 0 C 0 0 1 1 D 0 1 0 0 The way i have done...

XmlSerializer with base classes from other assemblies
Firstly, sorry I didn't mean to cross post, my first post should have been here, Secondly: I have a derived class that serializes nicely when run in a dot net client (v1.1). However when run from a COM client the serializer constructor produces a FileNotFound exception when trying to locate the base class' assembly. The binding log shows that the serializer probes all the COM clients folders etc but The serialiser seems to ignore the obvious codebase of the base class as the source of the assembly. If I manually copy the base class assembly to every COM client's directory th...

required fields
Hello: Through either VBA or Modifier, is it possible to make a field that is required in Great plains by design to not be required but be optional instead? I doubt it. The best that I could come up with was to just have VBA fill the required field with a "dummy" piece of information and move on. Any other ideas? I suppose the only other way is through Dexterity. The field is the "Interview Range from 1 to" in the HR Interview Setup window. I just decided to have VBA fill it with "01". Thanks! childofthe1980s You are right, fields Required by GP cann...

IV00102 Fields
These four fields are set to zero when I create a new item and assign it to a location. However, when I look at the table descriptions zero is not a valid value for any of them. Are these four fields currently used for anything or are they there for future use? This currently is GP10 SP3. 1) IV00102.REPLENISHLEVEL 2) IV00102.POPVENDORSELECTION 3) IV00102.POPPRICINGSELECTION 4) IV00102.PICKTICKETITEMOPT Rich, Replenishment Level is the default replenishment level for POP Auto Generator. Values are 1, 2 and 3. 1 for Order point QTy, 2 for order upto level, 3 for vendor EoQ. If these fiel...

Pop Form Based On individual Customer
How would you assign a pop up message for an individual customer for example let say i go to the record john doe I want to assign a pop up message for that specific customer so who ever enters into that record the message will pop up automatically with notes or the user cld add notes. I have the following Customer Table Pop Up Message Table CustomerID(PK) MessageID(PK) LastName CustomerID(Lookup Customer Table) FirstName Note SS# Address1 Address2 City State Zip Phone ...

Field by Field Comparison
I have two tables with the exact same column names. I want to do a field by field comparison of the two tables. If one letter or number is off in any field, I would like for the whole record to show up in my query. I can only figure out how to show records which are equal. I would like to show records which are not equal. Is there a query criteria or something where I can perform this? Thanks. Do a UNION query. Create a query that lists all the field in one table. Then open that query in SQL view. At the end of the SQL, delete the semicolon ";". At the...

splitting a field into two fields; one in ()
I have a Name field in my database that is LastName,FirstName(dept). I have figured out how to split last name and first name but I don't know how to leave out the department name that is in () after the first name. Any suggestions? Quick and Dirty way to get the field down to just LastName,Firstname is to use the following as an expression in a query: LastFirst:Left([Name],Instr([Name],"(")-1) This should give you all of the characters to the left of the opening parenthesis. You could then apply your method for splitting the First and Last Names. HTH ...

How to choose the best investment option?
It is widely known how difficult is to choose a low-risk or risk-free online investment option nowadays, especially for small and medium investors. Almost every day we hear about scamming and unhonesty here and there. And situation seems uncertain, if we are not monitoring the market day by day. From that point, basic principle to choose the right investment option would be a contact with the owner. If the owner has contact address (not e-mail only) and he is open for meeting and is ready to send you company papers, so such option may be a great choice. As for me, I know one such opportunity:...

Joining fields into one field dependent on value of another field
Hi, Below is a sample of data of a query which I need assistance in - Group Fertiliser ApplicationRate 1 TSP 3 2 EFB 230 3 Kies. 3 4 EFB 230 4 Kies. 3 5 TSP 3 5 Kies. 3 7 EFB 230 7 TSP 3 7 Kies. 3 >From this, I would like to create a field such that it shows eg. Group FertiliserDescription 1 TSP (3) 2 EFB (230) 3 Kies. (3) 4 EFB (230), Kies(3) 7 EFB(230),TSP(3),Kies(3) I am able to put Fertiliser and ApplicationRate together ie. Fertiliser& "(" &ApplicationRate& ")" My problem being how to add a statement saying th...

How to set color of field?
In ObjectPal I used the 'Arrive' event to set the color of a field or a record in a child table. This allowed the color to vary from one record to the next in a datasheet view. In Access, the 'On Current' event only works in form view. It doesn't work in datasheet view. The 'Format' event is only available in Report objects. The 'Conditional' format only allows three alternatives. How can Access vary colors from one record to the next in a datasheet, or datasheet-like view? "WDSnews" <wdsnews.0640@oregoncity.com> wrot...

Null Field to Interupt Closing
I am using this code to check for blank fields in BeforeUpdate: If NZ(Trim(Me!Date),vbnullstring) = vbnullstring then Msgbox "PLEASE ENTER DATE",,"Missing date" Me!Date.setfocus Cancel = True Exit Sub End if It almost works, except the form goes ahead and closes anyway. The user clicks the close button and the message box pops up if the field is empty, they click OK and instead of keeping the form open and then setting focus on the empty field, it closes the form. How can I get it to interupt the close and keep the form open? Thank you in advance for any...