Error Handling not working properly

I have the following code to load into db when the button is clicked after
so if some one tries to upload again ot should fail with error message.
In my case it show the Err desciption but again it shows the successful
msgbox again. Can you dedug please?

Thanks

Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()

    Dim stDocName As String
       On Error GoTo violation_err

    stDocName = "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit
    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"

Exit_ModuleName:
    Exit Sub

violation_err:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_ModuleName
End Sub

mls

Instead of using the OpenQuery method, use the Execute method of the query
so that a trappable error is created.

Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()
On Error GoTo violation_err

Dim qdfInsert As DAO.QueryDef

  Set qdfInsert = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT")
  qdfInsert.Execute dbFailOnError
  MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"

Exit_ModuleName:
  Exit Sub

violation_err:
  MsgBox Err.Description
  Resume Exit_ModuleName

End Sub

I'm pretty sure that the error you're seeing isn't coming from your error
trapping, which is why it's not working the way you want.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"mls via AccessMonster.com" <u55943@uwe> wrote in message
>I have the following code to load into db when the button is clicked after
> key
> so if some one tries to upload again ot should fail with error message.
> In my case it show the Err desciption but again it shows the successful
> msgbox again. Can you dedug please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()
>

>    Dim stDocName As String
>       On Error GoTo violation_err
>
>    stDocName = "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT"
>    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit
>    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"
>

> Exit_ModuleName:
>    Exit Sub
>
> violation_err:
> MsgBox Err.Description
> Resume Exit_ModuleName
> End Sub

Douglas
12/11/2009 5:52:19 PM
I got compile error: user-defined type not defined at Dim qdfInsert As DAO.
QueryDef.
I am using ACCESS 2000 so I changed the DAO to ADO and still give the same
error.
any idea?

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Instead of using the OpenQuery method, use the Execute method of the query
>so that a trappable error is created.
>
>Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()
>On Error GoTo violation_err
>
>Dim qdfInsert As DAO.QueryDef
>
>  Set qdfInsert = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT")
>  qdfInsert.Execute dbFailOnError
>  MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"
>
>Exit_ModuleName:
>  Exit Sub
>
>violation_err:
>  MsgBox Err.Description
>  Resume Exit_ModuleName
>
>End Sub
>
>I'm pretty sure that the error you're seeing isn't coming from your error
>trapping, which is why it's not working the way you want.
>
>>I have the following code to load into db when the button is clicked after
>[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
>> Resume Exit_ModuleName
>> End Sub

mls
12/11/2009 6:10:55 PM
>I got compile error: user-defined type not defined at Dim qdfInsert As DAO.
> QueryDef.
> I am using ACCESS 2000 so I changed the DAO to ADO and still give the same
> error.
> any idea?

It would have been ADODB, not just ADO, but anyway ADO has no QueryDef
object.  Use DAO, as Doug oosted, but add a references via the Tools ->
References... dialog to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/11/2009 6:19:04 PM
I added the reference but see this error message

Actually mine is a warning messgae, Are warning messages handled in MS ACCESS?

Dirk Goldgar wrote:
>>I got compile error: user-defined type not defined at Dim qdfInsert As DAO.
>> QueryDef.
>> I am using ACCESS 2000 so I changed the DAO to ADO and still give the same
>> error.
>> any idea?
>
>It would have been ADODB, not just ADO, but anyway ADO has no QueryDef
>object.  Use DAO, as Doug oosted, but add a references via the Tools ->
>References... dialog to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.

mls
12/11/2009 7:23:08 PM
>I added the reference but see this error message

What message?  The same as you stated in your original post?

> Actually mine is a warning messgae, Are warning messages handled in MS
> ACCESS?

I don't understand your question.  The message you mentioned originally was
definitely a compile-time error message, not a warning message.  Please post
your exact code and the exact message(s) you're getting.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/11/2009 7:30:56 PM
Here is my code .. I am trying to insert data into database from staging
table to main table. So if the load is successful then it should display
"Successful message" . If it fails ( mainly because I have primary key in my
main table so if inserting duplicates system shows Alert saying Key violation
for the lab tech when they hit the load data command.

Private Sub cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click()

    Dim stDocName As String

    stDocName = "Insert_Results_into_2010_RRTnew"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit
    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"
Exit_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click:
  MsgBox Err. Description
'MsgBox "Failed because of Key voliation, CDC Id Number and TestNo should be
unique"
    Resume Exit_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click
End Sub

mls
12/11/2009 7:45:39 PM
> Here is my code .. I am trying to insert data into database from staging
> table to main table. So if the load is successful then it should display
> "Successful message" . If it fails ( mainly because I have primary key in
> my
> main table so if inserting duplicates system shows Alert saying Key
> violation
> for the lab tech when they hit the load data command.
>
> Private Sub cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click()
>
>    Dim stDocName As String
>
>    stDocName = "Insert_Results_into_2010_RRTnew"
>    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit
>    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"
> Exit_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click:
>    Exit Sub
>
> Err_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click:
>  MsgBox Err. Description
> 'MsgBox "Failed because of Key voliation, CDC Id Number and TestNo should
> be
> unique"
>    Resume Exit_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click
> End Sub

I thought you were using Doug's code.  I agree completely with Doug;  you
should be using the Execute method for this.  Set a reference to DAO as
described in an earlier post, and try this version:

'------ start of revised code ------
Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()

    On Error GoTo Err_Handler

    CurrentDb.Execute "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT", dbFailOnError
    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"

Exit_Point:
    Exit Sub

Err_Handler:
    If Err.Number = 3022 Then
        MsgBox _
            "Failed because of Key voliation, CDC Id Number and " & _
                "TestNo should be unique", _
            vbExclamation, _
            "Upload Failed"
    Else
        MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Error " & Err.Number
    End If
    Resume Exit_Point

End Sub
'------ end of revised code ------

The above is slightly different from Doug's, reflecting both my personal
preferences and more detailed error-handling.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/11/2009 7:59:35 PM
Thank you Dirk. This works perfect.

Dirk Goldgar wrote:
>> Here is my code .. I am trying to insert data into database from staging
>> table to main table. So if the load is successful then it should display
>[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
>>    Resume Exit_cmd_load2010_rrtnew_Click
>> End Sub
>
>I thought you were using Doug's code.  I agree completely with Doug;  you
>should be using the Execute method for this.  Set a reference to DAO as
>described in an earlier post, and try this version:
>
>'------ start of revised code ------
>Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()
>
>    On Error GoTo Err_Handler
>
>    CurrentDb.Execute "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT", dbFailOnError
>    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"
>
>Exit_Point:
>    Exit Sub
>
>Err_Handler:
>    If Err.Number = 3022 Then
>        MsgBox _
>            "Failed because of Key voliation, CDC Id Number and " & _
>                "TestNo should be unique", _
>            vbExclamation, _
>            "Upload Failed"
>    Else
>        MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Error " & Err.Number
>    End If
>    Resume Exit_Point
>
>End Sub
>'------ end of revised code ------
>
>The above is slightly different from Doug's, reflecting both my personal
>preferences and more detailed error-handling.

mls
12/11/2009 8:29:31 PM
Hi Dirk,
Is there a way I can modify this code to out put the ID numbers in my message
box for the failed Insert process?

Thanks,
Lakshmi

mls wrote:
>Thank you Dirk. This works perfect.
>
>>> Here is my code .. I am trying to insert data into database from staging
>>> table to main table. So if the load is successful then it should display
>[quoted text clipped - 34 lines]
>>The above is slightly different from Doug's, reflecting both my personal
>>preferences and more detailed error-handling.

mls
12/14/2009 7:11:46 PM
> Hi Dirk,
> Is there a way I can modify this code to out put the ID numbers in my
> message
> box for the failed Insert process?
>
> Thanks,
> Lakshmi

Lakshmi -

There is no direct way to determine the ID numbers of the records that
couldn't be added due to key violations.  You could open a recordset on a
"find duplicates" query that would return all the records with IDs that are
in both the source table and the target table.  You could then loop through
that recordset and build a list of the ID values, and display that to the
user in a message box.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough details of your tables to be able to give
you the SQL of such a query.  However, the basic code for the process would
be something like this:

'------ start of code ------
Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()

    On Error GoTo Err_Handler

    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim strDuplicates As String

    Set db = CurrentDb

    db.Execute "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT", dbFailOnError
    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"

Exit_Point:
    On Error Resume Next
    If Not rs Is Nothing Then
        rs.Close
        Set rs = Nothing
    End If
    Set db = Nothing
    Exit Sub

Err_Handler:
    If Err.Number = 3022 Then

        ' Make a list of the duplicate IDs.
        ' Assume you have defined "qryDuplicateResults" to
        ' return the duplicates.
        Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("qryDuplicateResults", dbOpenSnapshot)
        With rs
            Do Until .EOF
                strDuplicates = strDuplicates & ", " & !ID
                .MoveNext
            Loop
            .Close
        End With
        Set rs = Nothing

        MsgBox _
            "Failed because of Key violation -- CDC Id Number and " & _
                "TestNo should be unique. " & _
                "The duplicate IDs were: " & Mid$(strDuplicates, 3), _

'------ end of code ------

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/14/2009 9:57:14 PM
Dirk, I used the following query as qryDuplicateResults and this is not
working..
SELECT First([table1].ID) AS [ID Field], First([table1].TestNo) AS [TestNo
Field], Count([table1].ID) AS NumberOfDups
FROM [table1] INNER JOIN RESULTS ON ([table1].TestNo = RESULTS.TestNo) AND (
[table1].ID = RESULTS.ID)
GROUP BY [table1].ID, [table1].TestNo
HAVING (((Count([table1].ID))>1) AND ((Count([table1].TestNo))>1));

Dirk Goldgar wrote:
>> Hi Dirk,
>> Is there a way I can modify this code to out put the ID numbers in my
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> Thanks,
>> Lakshmi
>
>Lakshmi -
>
>There is no direct way to determine the ID numbers of the records that
>couldn't be added due to key violations.  You could open a recordset on a
>"find duplicates" query that would return all the records with IDs that are
>in both the source table and the target table.  You could then loop through
>that recordset and build a list of the ID values, and display that to the
>user in a message box.
>
>Unfortunately, I don't know enough details of your tables to be able to give
>you the SQL of such a query.  However, the basic code for the process would
>be something like this:
>
>'------ start of code ------
>Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click()
>
>    On Error GoTo Err_Handler
>
>    Dim db As DAO.Database
>    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>    Dim strDuplicates As String
>
>    Set db = CurrentDb
>
>    db.Execute "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT", dbFailOnError
>    MsgBox "Upload completed Successfully"
>
>Exit_Point:
>    On Error Resume Next
>    If Not rs Is Nothing Then
>        rs.Close
>        Set rs = Nothing
>    End If
>    Set db = Nothing
>    Exit Sub
>
>Err_Handler:
>    If Err.Number = 3022 Then
>
>        ' Make a list of the duplicate IDs.
>        ' Assume you have defined "qryDuplicateResults" to
>        ' return the duplicates.
>        Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("qryDuplicateResults", dbOpenSnapshot)
>        With rs
>            Do Until .EOF
>                strDuplicates = strDuplicates & ", " & !ID
>                .MoveNext
>            Loop
>            .Close
>        End With
>        Set rs = Nothing
>
>        MsgBox _
>            "Failed because of Key violation -- CDC Id Number and " & _
>                "TestNo should be unique. " & _
>                "The duplicate IDs were: " & Mid$(strDuplicates, 3), _
>            vbExclamation, _
>            "Upload Failed"
>
>    Else
>        MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Error " & Err.Number
>    End If
>    Resume Exit_Point
>
>End Sub
>'------ end of code ------

mls
12/16/2009 7:08:12 PM
> Dirk, I used the following query as qryDuplicateResults and this is not
> working..
> SELECT First([table1].ID) AS [ID Field], First([table1].TestNo) AS [TestNo
> Field], Count([table1].ID) AS NumberOfDups
> FROM [table1] INNER JOIN RESULTS ON ([table1].TestNo = RESULTS.TestNo) AND
> (
> [table1].ID = RESULTS.ID)
> GROUP BY [table1].ID, [table1].TestNo
> HAVING (((Count([table1].ID))>1) AND ((Count([table1].TestNo))>1));

As usual, please define "not working".  Does the above query give you the
results you want?  My guess is that it doesn't, but I could be wrong.  Which
table is your source table for the append operation, and which is your
target table?  What constitutes a "duplicate" -- a match on both ID and
TestNo, a match on ID alone, a match on TestNo alone?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/16/2009 9:25:25 PM
My base table is 'Table1'. My staging table is 'Results' table which has all
transactional data. I need to append 'Results' data into 'Table1'. I created
a composite key with ID and TestNo. Each individual can have  4 records at
the maxium. so I am checking on both ID and TestNo.

Dirk Goldgar wrote:
>> Dirk, I used the following query as qryDuplicateResults and this is not
>> working..
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> GROUP BY [table1].ID, [table1].TestNo
>> HAVING (((Count([table1].ID))>1) AND ((Count([table1].TestNo))>1));
>
>As usual, please define "not working".  Does the above query give you the
>results you want?  My guess is that it doesn't, but I could be wrong.  Which
>table is your source table for the append operation, and which is your
>target table?  What constitutes a "duplicate" -- a match on both ID and
>TestNo, a match on ID alone, a match on TestNo alone?

mls
12/17/2009 1:31:34 PM
> My base table is 'Table1'. My staging table is 'Results' table which has
> all
> transactional data. I need to append 'Results' data into 'Table1'. I
> created
> a composite key with ID and TestNo. Each individual can have  4 records at
> the maxium. so I am checking on both ID and TestNo.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "each individual can
have 4 records at the maximum".  Is it necessary to do some sort of count --
heretofore unmentioned -- or can we simply match records based on ID and
TestNo, and say that any record in Results with the same ID and TestNo as a
record in Table1 is a duplicate?  That's what I expected, but I don't want
to steer you wrong.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/17/2009 7:56:29 PM
That's exactly what I want to do..
simply match records based on ID and TestNo, and say that any record in
Results with the same ID and TestNo as a record in Table1 is consider as
duplicate.

Dirk Goldgar wrote:
>> My base table is 'Table1'. My staging table is 'Results' table which has
>> all
>> transactional data. I need to append 'Results' data into 'Table1'. I
>> created
>> a composite key with ID and TestNo. Each individual can have  4 records at
>> the maxium. so I am checking on both ID and TestNo.
>
>I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "each individual can
>have 4 records at the maximum".  Is it necessary to do some sort of count --
>heretofore unmentioned -- or can we simply match records based on ID and
>TestNo, and say that any record in Results with the same ID and TestNo as a
>record in Table1 is a duplicate?  That's what I expected, but I don't want
>to steer you wrong.

mls
12/17/2009 8:14:47 PM
> That's exactly what I want to do..
> simply match records based on ID and TestNo, and say that any record in
> Results with the same ID and TestNo as a record in Table1 is consider as
> duplicate.

Try this as the SQL for qryDuplicateResults:

    SELECT Results.*
    FROM
        Results
    INNER JOIN
        Table1
    ON Results.ID = Table1.ID
    AND Results.TestNo = Table1.TestNo

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/17/2009 9:08:30 PM
Thank you Dirk. With this you taught me how I can write free hand SQL queries
in ACCESS. I am new to ACCESS (using for the past one month), so initially I
tried writting an a update query with CASE STATEMENT and spent literally  2
hours to debug with the parenthesis, so I gave up and started using built in
functionality. Now I am trying to learn programming in ACCESS and thank you
very much for all your encouragement to debug my first program.

Dirk Goldgar wrote:
>> That's exactly what I want to do..
>> simply match records based on ID and TestNo, and say that any record in
>> Results with the same ID and TestNo as a record in Table1 is consider as
>> duplicate.
>
>Try this as the SQL for qryDuplicateResults:
>
>    SELECT Results.*
>    FROM
>        Results
>    INNER JOIN
>        Table1
>    ON Results.ID = Table1.ID
>    AND Results.TestNo = Table1.TestNo

mls

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

error, chkdsk

error 0x800CCC0F

4.4.7 error

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

Re: Money 2004

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Form_Load event works differently when debugging?
I have an Access 2003 .adp project with a detail form that is instantiated by another search form. If there is a value in the OpenArgs of the detail form, then it is to display the row with that key value. This works fine with a SQL Server 2000 backend, but not with a SQL Server 2005 backend. Except, if I place a breakpoint within the If statement, then it works fine in SQL Server 2005 as well. With a breakpoint in place, it works every time in SQL Server 2005. Is there any "Wait" statement that can be added to remedy this difference? (For instance, adding a DoEvents statement ...

OnDragScroll not working....
Hello All, I wanted to disable the OLE provided panning in my view, to replace it with my own pannning. For that I introduced the method OnDragScoll and returned DROPEFFECT_NONE from that. But while debugging, I can see that this is never getting called. Any idea why? My code looks like: DROPEFFECT CMyView::OnDragScroll(CWnd* pWnd, DWORD dwKeyState,CPoint point) { return DROPEFFECT_NONE; } Thanks In Advance! Jessy "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:711E881E-B5CE-410D-8FD8-D3D3527F99C3@microsoft.com... > Hello All, > > I...

Error in closing Outlook

Typing message error

Receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks
Hi We have exch2003 cluster and recently we have some note book with Vista, now when we are accessing mailbox through OWA we are getting error when we want to edit (reply, forward) there is article from MS, we want to know does this article also apply to exch clsuter or it is for member server. The artical is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911829 Nagori Not sure what you mean by either exch cluster or member server, but basically you will need to install this patch on your FE and BE exchange servers, including your exch cluster servers. To install exch hotfixes or patches, move...

outlook.pst error message
When I attmept to open Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP) I get an error message that the file C:Documents and Setting\Owner Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst has detetected an error. It tells me to quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool. I have tried to run the repair tool many times and it always crashes before it fin9shes scanning the files. One time it finished the scan and stated that files were damaged and it asked if I wanted to Repair those files. I said yes and it froze up and would not respond. Are there any other ways ...

PM Transaction continuing error message #2
We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a query for all documents that were less than 1 or greater the 8 on the PM00400 & PM30200 tables. And updated the ones to what they needed to be. And it worked! And the message went away! But then we ...

Message "An error has occured" when click Activity
Hi All, After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". Has anybody encounter this issue before? Previously it was working fine, after we import the customization. I have problem to create new email activity. Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict what does the Event Viewer say? "Venedict" wrote: > Hi All, > > After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, > message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". &g...

error messages #3
I had the error message... > cannot SKU011.cab I soved this by following the instructions listed here. > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/Profile/?referrer=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.msdn.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fvssetup%2fthread%2f5493e068-01d3-4e96-a9b1-58020bc94e69%2f&rh=YI7rGXc4iv4rR%2b2JUZeQQv4OEnxWySPD0w%2bJjbDQwzE%3d > Then I received the error message... > 1311 source not found C:\MSOCache\All > Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-015204838309\PA561401.CAB > I do not have the install disks for Microsoft Office Professional 2003. My > computer was build by som...

Pub error
I get the following message whenever I scan photos in Corel Photopaint and copy paste into Pub 2003. Happens on all my computers. Happens after scanning about 6 pictures or so. Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server program needed to complete the task. There may not be enough disk space, or there may be a problem with the server program. To make more disk space available, delete some unneeded files on your hard disk. If you suspect a problem with the server program, try reinstalling it. Then try this task again. Is there a way to correct this? Scan your p...