Error cannot access file?!?

Network connection lost? AHHHHH!

I've been getting this error in my Access project and now none of my
VBA code will work on any of my forms! It started when I closed my
project down on my computer and went over to another computer to keep
working on it. Now whenever I try to do anything in my project that
uses VBA code (for example, click a button), I get an error that says
"Error cannot access file. Network connection may be lost." My code is
still there, but it just won't run! I even tried cutting the code out
and repasting it to no avail. Any help here is sincerely appreciated!!!

0
stephen

Oh, dear! If this is Access 2000, you may have struck this nasty bug:
    Error Message: Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been
Lost
at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304548

Hopefully your original machine still has a good copy of the database, so
you will be able to revert to that. It won't keep happening after you apply
the updates (unless it really is caused by trying to use the database across
an unstable network.)

<stephen.belyea@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Network connection lost? AHHHHH!
>
> I've been getting this error in my Access project and now none of my
> VBA code will work on any of my forms! It started when I closed my
> project down on my computer and went over to another computer to keep
> working on it. Now whenever I try to do anything in my project that
> uses VBA code (for example, click a button), I get an error that says
> "Error cannot access file. Network connection may be lost." My code is
> still there, but it just won't run! I even tried cutting the code out
> and repasting it to no avail. Any help here is sincerely appreciated!!!

-3
Allen
7/23/2007 11:54:20 AM
On Jul 23, 7:54 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> Oh, dear! If this is Access 2000, you may have struck this nasty bug:
>     Error Message: Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been
> Lost
> at:
>    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304548
>
> Hopefully your original machine still has a good copy of the database, so
> you will be able to revert to that. It won't keep happening after you apply
> the updates (unless it really is caused by trying to use the database across
> an unstable network.)

> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> <stephen.bel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Network connection lost? AHHHHH!
>
> > I've been getting this error in my Access project and now none of my
> > VBA code will work on any of my forms! It started when I closed my
> > project down on my computer and went over to another computer to keep
> > working on it. Now whenever I try to do anything in my project that
> > uses VBA code (for example, click a button), I get an error that says
> > "Error cannot access file. Network connection may be lost." My code is
> > still there, but it just won't run! I even tried cutting the code out
> > and repasting it to no avail. Any help here is sincerely appreciated!!!

Ughh.... that's exactly what happened. I'm currently working through
the knowledge base article. Thanks a ton for the link, hopefully I can
get this sorted out!

3
stephen
7/23/2007 2:54:18 PM
On Jul 23, 10:54 am, stephen.bel...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 23, 7:54 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
>

> > Oh, dear! If this is Access 2000, you may have struck this nasty bug:
> >     Error Message: Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been
> > Lost
> > at:
> >    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304548
>
> > Hopefully your original machine still has a good copy of the database, so
> > you will be able to revert to that. It won't keep happening after you apply
> > the updates (unless it really is caused by trying to use the database across
> > an unstable network.)
>
> > --
> > Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
> > Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> > Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>
> > <stephen.bel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Network connection lost? AHHHHH!
>
> > > I've been getting this error in my Access project and now none of my
> > > VBA code will work on any of my forms! It started when I closed my
> > > project down on my computer and went over to another computer to keep
> > > working on it. Now whenever I try to do anything in my project that
> > > uses VBA code (for example, click a button), I get an error that says
> > > "Error cannot access file. Network connection may be lost." My code is
> > > still there, but it just won't run! I even tried cutting the code out
> > > and repasting it to no avail. Any help here is sincerely appreciated!!!
>
> Ughh.... that's exactly what happened. I'm currently working through
> the knowledge base article. Thanks a ton for the link, hopefully I can
> get this sorted out!

Everything works now, but man, what a nasty bug. I wish they would've
offered a patch for it, although I guess it's a moot point now that
newer versions of Access are out. Thanks again for the link Allen -
greatly appreciated!

0
stephen
7/23/2007 3:38:16 PM
Great news.

BTW, if you were bitten, you desperately need to apply the serivce packs for
Access 2000, and also for JET 4:
    http://support.microsoft.com/sp/

You may have already done so now; if not, I consider it so important that we
put this information onto the Help | About screen of the applications we
write, so clients requesting support can tell us this stuff. Here's how:
    Splash screen with version info
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html

> On Jul 23, 10:54 am, stephen.bel...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Jul 23, 7:54 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
>> > Oh, dear! If this is Access 2000, you may have struck this nasty bug:
>> >     Error Message: Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have
>> > Been
>> > Lost
>> > at:
>> >    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304548
>>

> Everything works now, but man, what a nasty bug. I wish they would've
> offered a patch for it, although I guess it's a moot point now that
> newer versions of Access are out. Thanks again for the link Allen -
> greatly appreciated!

0
Allen
7/23/2007 3:48:21 PM
On Jul 23, 11:48 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid>
wrote:
> Great news.
>
> BTW, if you were bitten, you desperately need to apply the serivce packs for
> Access 2000, and also for JET 4:
>    http://support.microsoft.com/sp/
>
> You may have already done so now; if not, I consider it so important that we
> put this information onto the Help | About screen of the applications we
> write, so clients requesting support can tell us this stuff. Here's how:
>     Splash screen with version info
> at:
>    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html

> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> <stephen.bel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Everything works now, but man, what a nasty bug. I wish they would've
> > offered a patch for it, although I guess it's a moot point now that
> > newer versions of Access are out. Thanks again for the link Allen -
> > greatly appreciated!

Thanks Allen. Everything was up to date on my computer, but I'm not
sure if that was the case on my co-worker's computer that I was
working on (I'm using a 10" LCD, he's using a 22" one, made it a
little easier on the eyes to take over his vacated desktop!). Will
this problem only occur if someone is trying to edit VBA code or forms
in design view in an older version of access? Or will this occur when
they open the database regardless of whether they are editing
information behind the constructed GUI I've made?

0
stephen
7/23/2007 4:13:56 PM
This particular bug only occurs when the VBA code is modified as described
in the kb article.

However, my recollection is that this was fixed in a very early service pack
for A2000, which implies your friend's machine lacks even these early SPs.
If so, there are so many other bugs (SP1 fixed 300+ in Access alone) that it
will be unreliable at best. I certainly would not develop on such a machine.

> On Jul 23, 11:48 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid>
> wrote:
>> Great news.
>>
>> BTW, if you were bitten, you desperately need to apply the serivce packs
>> for
>> Access 2000, and also for JET 4:
>>    http://support.microsoft.com/sp/
>>
>> You may have already done so now; if not, I consider it so important that
>> we
>> put this information onto the Help | About screen of the applications we
>> write, so clients requesting support can tell us this stuff. Here's how:
>>     Splash screen with version info
>> at:
>>    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html
>
> Thanks Allen. Everything was up to date on my computer, but I'm not
> sure if that was the case on my co-worker's computer that I was
> working on (I'm using a 10" LCD, he's using a 22" one, made it a
> little easier on the eyes to take over his vacated desktop!). Will
> this problem only occur if someone is trying to edit VBA code or forms
> in design view in an older version of access? Or will this occur when
> they open the database regardless of whether they are editing
> information behind the constructed GUI I've made?

0
Allen

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

I need to widen my screen so I can print a wide file?
How do I do this? I need to print a copy that shows all the script which is too wide. I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but changing to Landscape orientation might help. Assuming that you are using Word 2007, click the Page Layout tab, and then click Orientation in the Page Setup group. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "bingo" <bingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA925BD1-D8EF-408B-9588-4F5BF7FCD554@microsoft.com... > How do I do this? > I need to print a copy that shows all the script which is too wide. ...

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

How to share Access Database in local area network
Dear Sir, I created a DB using Access 2003 and still working on it. how can i use my DB by many users in the same time with out locking the Database. when i did before, an error message appears every time from the other comuter showing that can not creat lock file!! could you please show me the appropiate way of sharing the DB file? Each user requires at least Read, Write and eXecute permission on the folder where the MDB (or MDE) file is located. (Delete is usually recommended as well, but isn't 100% necessary: not having it will mean that the location file--the .LDB file--will no...

error, chkdsk

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

Access 2.0 Converter 09-27-04
I have installed the converter for moving from Access 2.0 to Access 2003 running under Windows XP Professional. However Access 2003 still tells me I need to convert the database and does not recognise the converter has been installed, so points me again to the Microsoft Website to obtain the converter. Any suggestions please. Hi Colin, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. Are you sure that you ran the .exe file for the Access 2.0 Converter so that it was installed? To download the Access 2.0 Converter free of charge, visit the following Micro...

delete server...routing master error

Excel error codes translations

Default File Renaming
When I save my files as webpages Publisher automatically renames alllllll of my files to Img001 Img002 etc etc and I have to go through the HTML and change ALL the file names so that it pulls the right pictures... my site is huge, this is tedious and annoying... can anyone help??? It is not renaming your image files, it is making copies of them. If you are renaming those copies than your page won't load the images because the file names will be wrong. I recommend you visit my site and review the articles I have for the version you are using. If you require anything further please use ...

Re: Money 2004

Clicked a .prf. file and woosh
Help! I accidentally clicked on a file with a .prf extension (some utility that keeps it preferences stored in such a file). To my surprise this not only started Outlook but also triggered some Outlook installation dialog. When I clicked that away I ended up with a completely new and empty Outlook! At first I was flabberghasted, since ALL my mails, my calendar entries, contacts, etc. EVERYTHING seemed gone! When I just doublechecked I saw, that this thing apparently created a new Outlook1.pst file which seems to be used as the new default. It seems that my old file "Outlook.pst&q...

how to install .oft files (forms) on a Clustered Exchange?
Hi All I have Exchange 2000 cluster active/passive. How does I install Outlook forms (.oft) files on a Clustered Exchange? Thank you, Jack Black ...

Technical error

Can't move items to PST file
Ever see a message when moving an email (with attachment) from your In Box to a subfolder in a Personal Folder (pst) that Outlook "Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was already moved or deleted, or access was denied." Thanks for any help you can provide! Greg PS. We don't have any mailbox limits set on the network. What is the overall size of the .PST file and how many items are in the folder you're trying to move the item to? Also, what version of Outlook are you using? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address ...

CObject Private method access error

how do i query Multiple Databases in access?
Help… I need to create an access database that would query Multiple Paradox Databases the Paradox Databases all have the same fields. the purpose of the access database to check all the Paradox Databases for any differences from the master and flag and variance with a indicial Paradox Database. Dan :) Danc383@hotmail.com wrote: > I need to create an access database that would query Multiple Paradox > Databases > > the Paradox Databases all have the same fields. > > the purpose of the access database to check all the Paradox Databases for > any differences f...

Error in closing Outlook

Typing message error